Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 4/25/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

This era makes the Red Scare and McCarthy eras look like a stroll through the park in comparison.

In the past, I wondered what people were thinking when they followed certain trends and behaved in a way that seem irrational to modern people. (Some examples: the Terror following the French Revolution, Salem witch trials, McCarthyism, the Inquisition, the genocide in Rwanda, and on and on.) Currently, you can see how quickly and easily people get swept up in fervor and popular opinions and it becomes clear that those people in the past were not more gullible than we are.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

In the past, I wondered what people were thinking when they followed certain trends and behaved in a way that seem irrational to modern people. (Some examples: the Terror following the French Revolution, Salem witch trials, McCarthyism, the Inquisition, the genocide in Rwanda, and on and on.) Currently, you can see how quickly and easily people get swept up in fervor and popular opinions and it becomes clear that those people in the past were not more gullible than we are.

YES!  I thought that about the Holocaust.  How quickly neighbor turned on neighbor when they were told to hate Jews.  Also, in the early 90s when Japan was king and they were buying up land in the US people were talking in the same scary way and it made me realize how easy it is to turn people against each other.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

It's fine if black women want to write about their experiences but why must they insist no one else can write about the black community?  It's s form of censorship to silence other voices.

I agree.   It would be interesting for someone to produce a series where all of these ideas are suggested/debated--where classics are brought up to discuss the gender, color, education, and background of writers.  Another interesting topic could be those actors who will be eliminated from auditions because they aren't the ethnicity of the character they want to portray.  Think of all those actors in the past who actually won AWARDS simply for portraying humans of another gender, or color, or disability.  Is everything going to change?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I agree.   It would be interesting for someone to produce a series where all of these ideas are suggested/debated--where classics are brought up to discuss the gender, color, education, and background of writers.  Another interesting topic could be those actors who will be eliminated from auditions because they aren't the ethnicity of the character they want to portray.  Think of all those actors in the past who actually won AWARDS simply for portraying humans of another gender, or color, or disability.  Is everything going to change?

It already has changed.  "So, in September 2020, the Academy launched its Representation and Inclusion Standards Entry platform (or RAISE). For a movie to qualify for Best Picture, producers not only had to register detailed personal information about everyone involved in the making of that movie, but the movie had to meet two of the Academy’s four diversity standards—touching on everything from on-screen representation to creative leadership. (An Academy spokesperson said “only select staff” would have access to data collected on the platform.)"  Creativity is dead.  Quotas are alive and well. 

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, General Days said:

Except Joy and Sara did share other perspectives.

Yep, and I have a feeling Ana agreed with them, too, although she didn't get her turn to speak because of lack of time. (They had to make room for ViewYourDeal. 🙄 )

• Love 1

I was only kind of half-watching, so I may have missed it, but I thought the promo mentioned something about discussing the repeal of the mask mandates on planes - did that discussion ever happen and I missed it?  

(Or, did I only think I heard that during a promo?  🤣)

10 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

I'm referring to the topic - a non WOC writer.  As we both said earlier the market will decide yet many non WOC writers today will never recieve the chance.  It's fine if black women want to write about their experiences but why must they insist no one else can write about the black community?  It's s form of censorship to silence other voices.

I say with some bitterness, the publishing houses are businesses. They can freely make publishing choices based on bottom line, and they do. Some self-published books offer much more, but they are hard for readers to find. 

• Love 1

Sara sounds quite excited about Elon Musk buying Twitter.  And Amber is the only one on the panel amused by trump.  I laughed more at my dental appt this morning. (For real.)

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

That's the problem in a nutshell.  No one else is allowed to share their perspective.  This era makes the Red Scare and McCarthy eras look like a stroll through the park in comparison.

But a white person doesn’t need to share their perspective of a BIPOC’s thoughts, feelings, and experience.

This isn’t a hard concept.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Aileen said:

But a white person doesn’t need to share their perspective of a BIPOC’s thoughts, feelings, and experience.

This isn’t a hard concept.

Censorship in any form is dangerous.  This latest digital form of blacklisting aka cancel culture is dangerous.  There have been black authors who have created white characters.  Does it bother me?  Of course not.  Just write a compelling story and I'm good.  You're trying to restrict everything that is beautiful about the written word.

• Love 1

Sort of a middling show today. I guess they had Ruffin on to have a "full table" the first week back from holiday, but I'd have been fine with Ana making it four.

Ana mocking DeSantis for celebrating the Twitter buyout while not even being able to handle an opinion from Mickey Mouse was hilarious.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 9

Would someone please tell Sunny there were multi-millionaires like Hearst and Pulitzer who controlled the media for decades.  Bezos and Musk are just two more in a long line of millionaire/billionaires who have invested in the communications sector.  Amber had it right, it's Twitter for goodness sake, move on.

Am I allowed to charge Viola for a therapy session?  Stay in the present, stay in the moment and enjoy your life.  Wallowing is not healthy.

I must say when Joy turns it on she is one of the best celebrity ass-kissers out there.  Brava!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if Amber is auditioning for the comedy Joy’s chair.

God, I hope not. Her awkward energy doesn't work on this show at all. I think the only moment she's made me laugh the past two days was during the interview when she brought up that line of Davis' from HtGAwM.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

Would someone please tell Sunny there were multi-millionaires like Hearst and Pulitzer who controlled the media for decades.  Bezos and Musk are just two more in a long line of millionaire/billionaires who have invested in the communications sector.  Amber had it right, it's Twitter for goodness sake, move on.

Am I allowed to charge Viola for a therapy session?  Stay in the present, stay in the moment and enjoy your life.  Wallowing is not healthy.

I must say when Joy turns it on she is one of the best celebrity ass-kissers out there.  Brava!

I think Joy genuinely likes some people & enjoys giving a compliment.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

yeah,, i don't see it as ass kissing at all, just appreciation of viola's talent

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

2 minutes ago, cinsays said:

yeah,, i don't see it as ass kissing at all, just appreciation of viola's talent

Yeah I don't think Joy sucks up to people. Sunny on the other hand......

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Ellis Bell said:

Because she's black she's automatically allowed to be the voice for a young woman sold into slavery?  She succeeded not because of her personal experience as a black girl/woman in the US circa 1990s - 2020s, she succeeded because she brought emotion and empathy to a character she created same as any white writer could have done who has not lived the experience. 

Highlighted a couple of words I think are important to this issue.   Empathy..... This is where lived experience comes into play in writing.  It's a lot easier to find the empathy and humanity in a character/story if you've lived that experience, or know people who's lived that experience.   Not impossible.... but it's something the writer should consider during the writing process.   

I think "allowed" seems to be where this conversation is getting stuck.   The writer of the original article discussed on the show was more concerned that she was not "allowed" to write certain stories.  Not that she wanted to write those stories or had a history of writing those stories.  It was a complaint that she wasn't "allowed".   I think that's the point Sunny was trying to make.    The question the writer should have asked is why they want to write the story and how they are going to make sure the story is told authentically.   

38 minutes ago, Ellis Bell said:

Viola is definitely enjoying her life.  Didn't see any wallowing at all.   Sharing her story of how she got there, will help a lot of women who's felt the way she has at some point in their lives.   Pretty much every person on this show who's written a book share similar stories on their life challenges and how they overcome.   I'm not sure why Viola's story is considered any different.       

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, After7Only said:

Pretty much every person on this show who's written a book share similar stories on their life challenges and how they overcome.   I'm not sure why Viola's story is considered any different.       

That's an interesting point. I guess there are some well-known people who had "simple" childhoods with minor problems and got into schools and jobs with occasional failures, but maybe they don't write books, or if they do, no one finds their stories very compelling. I don't know if hearing / reading so many stories of celebrities who've overcome struggles and poverty makes people who haven't experienced that feel better about their own lives or makes them wonder if their experience is unusual. 

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Sort of a middling show today. I guess they had Ruffin on to have a "full table" the first week back from holiday, but I'd have been fine with Ana making it four.

Ana mocking DeSantis for celebrating the Twitter buyout while not even being able to handle an opinion from Mickey Mouse was hilarious.

No one on this panel delivers a scathing, deadpan putdown like Ana Navarro. It was such a pleasant surprise to see her, as she usually isn't on the show on Tuesdays.

I hear what you all are saying about Amber, but at least she's not making me scream at my TV in anger like SOME of the guest hosts we've been subjected to (not naming names). I do agree that maybe this isn't the type of show where Amber tends to shine. 

Edited by Prairie Rose
  • Love 11

I like Amber and she has things to say, but, she seems like she is doing a "set" whenever she speaks.  She did make better eye contact with the panel today instead of just looking at the audience every time she spoke.  Maybe it is a certain skill she has to learn.

• Love 2

Amber seemed to be alone in thinking Trump was funny.  His talking about Putin saying nuclear was not funny.

Perhaps Amber's sense of humor doesn't translate well on a daytime talk show discussion of hot topics.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Amber seemed to be alone in thinking Trump was funny.  His talking about Putin saying nuclear was not funny.

Perhaps Amber's sense of humor doesn't translate well on a daytime talk show discussion of hot topics.

Yeah, I sure didn't find it amusing. I don't think the other four ladies were amused, either. What is it with the guest hosts? I don't think any of them, with the possible exception of Jane Coaston, have looked comfortable at all.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, After7Only said:

Highlighted a couple of words I think are important to this issue.   Empathy..... This is where lived experience comes into play in writing.  It's a lot easier to find the empathy and humanity in a character/story if you've lived that experience, or know people who's lived that experience.   Not impossible.... but it's something the writer should consider during the writing process.   

I think "allowed" seems to be where this conversation is getting stuck.   The writer of the original article discussed on the show was more concerned that she was not "allowed" to write certain stories.  Not that she wanted to write those stories or had a history of writing those stories.  It was a complaint that she wasn't "allowed".   I think that's the point Sunny was trying to make.    The question the writer should have asked is why they want to write the story and how they are going to make sure the story is told authentically.   

Viola is definitely enjoying her life.  Didn't see any wallowing at all.   Sharing her story of how she got there, will help a lot of women who's felt the way she has at some point in their lives.   Pretty much every person on this show who's written a book share similar stories on their life challenges and how they overcome.   I'm not sure why Viola's story is considered any different.       

After, empathy is a human trait it is not specific to race.  The author of Homegoing did not live the experience of a slave but for some reason you think the color of her skin gave this twenty-something a leg up in writing a historical novel.  

Sunny did not say the white Gen X writer wanted to write a novel with POC because she wasn't allowed.  She said this specific writer said she could do it better than a black author.  The writer made no such statement.  Sara tried to explain to Sunny the author said authenticity of a voice in a novel does not guarantee quality of prose, storytelling, pacing dialogue, etc. but Sunny seems to have an irrational hatred or envy of white people which causes her to react without a care for the facts presented.  

As for Viola, it's not just this interview it's a culmination of interviews over the years.  I understand she's promoting her bio so of course she's going to discuss her childhood.  She reminds me of one of those people who always quote Buddha or some New Age quack about healing but underneath is still a trainweck.  Talk the talk, walk the walk.  Namaste. 

• Love 1

When the princess of Arizona left, I had no idea that Sunny would be her successor...but Sunny has managed to prove herself to be as ignorant and hostile as Ms McCain.

How again was she able to be a lawyer when she lacks the ability to be objective?

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

When the princess of Arizona left, I had no idea that Sunny would be her successor...but Sunny has managed to prove herself to be as ignorant and hostile as Ms McCain.

How again was she able to be a lawyer when she lacks the ability to be objective?

Who said lawyers were objective? Their job is to attack or defend whichever side of an argument they're on, no matter what the evidence tells them & everyone else. Otherwise we just end up with mob rule, which is the way we're going with cancel culture.

Sunny is just downright obnoxious when her point of view isn't agreed with & she almost always wears her clothes with the label on the outside to show us minions how rich she is & how much better than us she is.

• Love 1

Viola David did a really great interview with Hoda and Jenna this morning. It was more like an organic conversation rather than Q and A. This is how you do it. I was sad when it was over.

Sunny, don’t hold your breath for student debt forgiveness.  You and Manny are still going to have to pay off your student loans.

If I never hear again about Tuckums tanning his testicles it will be too soon.

Ugh, every time a station breaks into a show I say out loud “oh, God, what now?”

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Axie said:

No disrespect to Madeleine Albright, my s-i-l worked for her, but, I have no interest in watching her Memorial Service.

Especially when all the cable news stations are carrying it. I was looking forward to seeing Magic... I guess we'll have to wait until his interview pops up on the show's YouTube channel.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Axie said:

No disrespect to Madeleine Albright, my s-i-l worked for her, but, I have no interest in watching her Memorial Service.

Well, after watching Hot Topics, Joy, et al should be overjoyed a woman is pre-empting their show today, lol.

15 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

I'm easily amused and admit there have been moments that you know who has made me laugh, that wasn't remotely funny to me. Humor is definitely subjective. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Axie said:

Yes no offense to Secretary Albright but is it necessary for ABC to carry her funeral live?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Sunny, don’t hold your breath for student debt forgiveness.  You and Manny are still going to have to pay up.

I'm sure they took that into account when their son decided to go to whatever college/university he chose. It would be naive for anyone to take on debt if they are counting on some kind of bailout (whether from government or just an inheritance) to help them with it. 

I wonder why the discussion is about student debt forgiveness and not college/university tuition reform. People wouldn't be taking out huge student loans if tuition were more affordable. Forgiving everyone their debt now won't solve the problem for tomorrow's students without tuition reform.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Yes no offense to Secretary Albright but is it necessary for ABC to carry her funeral live?

I think it had more to do with those in attendence - Obamas, Clintons, etc. and the fact Biden was giving her eulogy.  I think they cut away after he finished speaking.

Break up sex: It sounded as though some of the ladies had never had a relationship where the sex was good, but the rest of the relationship was lacking. Instead of a "goodbye kiss" when deciding to break up, some may have "goodbye sex". 

To be fair, it sounded as though some other of the ladies definitely were familiar with the phenomenon. :-)

• Love 1

The show wasn't interrupted until just before the interview here, but most of their interviews are blah anyway, Besides, I wanted to see Albright's funeral, personally.

The show was a bit off the rails today. It seemed like Ana kept interrupting everyone's point midstream and then they tried to get back on track afterwards, or at least it happened to Sara and Joy (not sure about Sunny). She was funny with the joke about testicle-tanning though.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KittyQ said:

I'm sure they took that into account when their son decided to go to whatever college/university he chose. It would be naive for anyone to take on debt if they are counting on some kind of bailout (whether from government or just an inheritance) to help them with it. 

I wonder why the discussion is about student debt forgiveness and not college/university tuition reform. People wouldn't be taking out huge student loans if tuition were more affordable. Forgiving everyone their debt now won't solve the problem for tomorrow's students without tuition reform.

Gabriel attends Harvard University and I believe Sunny mentioned some time ago she and Manny had paid off their student loans.  I know she wrote in her memoir she had scholarships but was never specific with what was covered.

Joy and Sunny were wondering why the Dems were not touting 1.6T in student loan forgiveness??  Because he's going to antagonize the overwhelming majority of voters in this country while courting a small voting block in comparison.  He's lost major ground with Gen Z and other former strongholds and the Mid-Terms are fast approaching.  I seriously don't think he cares to solve the longterm problem of tuition gouging.

Added Bonus: This 1.6T debt write-off will increase inflation even more.

Danger:  Mid-Terms ahead.

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

The show wasn't interrupted until just before the interview here, but most of their interviews are blah anyway, Besides, I wanted to see Albright's funeral, personally.

The show was a bit off the rails today. It seemed like Ana kept interrupting everyone's point midstream and then they tried to get back on track afterwards, or at least it happened to Sara and Joy (not sure about Sunny). She was funny with the joke about testicle-tanning though.

I liked the progression of today's Hot Topics.  They always start with political headlines and in the next segment they're raiding Reddit with topics like My Maid of Honor Slept With the Groom On My Wedding Day,  It's somewhat jarring.  Today they did the political then they did social issues with gender inequality and then they went for today's Reddit Raid:  Break-Up Sex.  The only thing missing from the last segment was the box of wine on the table.

Your Ana observation is interesting because yesterday she made a crack about (paraphrasing) "..not asking the Latina..." as Joy was going to break.  It came at the end of the author segment and she looked irritated because she didn't get a chance to speak.  Maybe that's why she was acting out today, whether it be a wisecrack or an actual contribution to the conversation she was going to get her say, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ellis Bell said:

I liked the progression of today's Hot Topics.  They always start with political headlines and in the next segment they're raiding Reddit with topics like My Maid of Honor Slept With the Groom On My Wedding Day,  It's somewhat jarring.  Today they did the political then they did social issues with gender inequality and then they went for today's Reddit Raid:  Break-Up Sex.  The only thing missing from the last segment was the box of wine on the table.

Your Ana observation is interesting because yesterday she made a crack about (paraphrasing) "..not asking the Latina..." as Joy was going to break.  It came at the end of the author segment and she looked irritated because she didn't get a chance to speak.  Maybe that's why she was acting out today, whether it be a wisecrack or an actual contribution to the conversation she was going to get her say, lol.

Ana was a whipper snapper today hahahah.  And again they remove someone for the celeb interview.  Why?  There is no need. And Ana of all people!  Isn't she a major fan or a friend or something 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:58 AM, Pearson80 said:

Thank you Viola Davis for representing dark skinned Black women who are never seen as beautiful and worthy with beauty, grace femininity  wisdom and strength.

She is a real class act. I can totally relate to her school days.  Hell on earth.but you go Girl!  For all of us. 

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Hmmm,  not sure what i was going say about it, maybe it will come back to me.

• Love 1

Amber didn't articulate her point well but what she meant is correct.   For women to be likable they sometimes have to compromise who they are. Likable means not offending anyone.

23 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

Sunny was breaking my brain with her inability to understand the break up sex topic. It wasn’t that hard to understand! 

It was like she was being deliberately obtuse.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I wanted to see the funeral too, Madeline was an exceptional woman and she deserved the accolades that were scheduled.

I am enjoying Joy the moderator even with her senior moments.  I especially like her gorgeous shoes that are noticeable from the mod seat.  Hopefully Whoopie has several more movies lined up so that we can enjoy her on the big screen where she really does her best work :)

Amber is a break from the intense rotation that has been working that end seat this season.  Her demeanor reminded me of Rosie Perez when she was part of the panel.  If only Ana would be a permanent seat there would no need to keep looking for a firebrand Republican.

• Love 6