Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The First Tournament

• Start Topic

When Tom travels out of town for his first bowling tournament, he has the rough realization that his bowling idols are now his rivals. Also, Helen comes to help Jen at home and work while Tom’s away, but she gets into an argument with Jen’s boss, putting her daughter-in-law’s job in jeopardy.

Original Airdate: Thursday, April 21   (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on CBS
Rondi Reed  (Ruth)
Will Greenberg  (Rick Rholla)
0bc873ee3c195706cb1f670be8e60e66.jpg

I liked the way Tom ended up commiserating with his opponent’s problem.   I like Chi McBride’s character, I could listen to him talk for hours.   Jen is ok and the son is ok.

I HATE The mom character and the salon owner.  I cannot stand these characters that run roughshod over other people.  Late-middle-aged women deserve to be portrayed as more relatable people, not flaming b****es.   Surely Rondi Reed is capable of playing some other type of character.  But I actually hate the mom character more, she’s oblivious to what anybody else wants, only sees her own point of view, and has no idea when to simply shut up.  A really misogynist mother in law stereotype.  

so I wish the show would find a way to change these two crappy characters, then I think it could have some potential.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, CattyK said:

I HATE The mom character and the salon owner.

I'm not fond of the mom, but the scene where she was comforting Jen after she got fired was good.  Although, of course, it was her fault that Jen got fired in the first place.

I don't mind the show.  It's not great but it's okay as background while I'm on the computer.  I could do with more of it being in the bowling alley, though.

I'm not a professional bowler my any means, but I do bowl locally and have been to pro tournaments as a spectator.  Now, I haven't watched this show but the previews I've seen just paint a "goofy" look at professional bowling.  They could've at least had the actor try to imitate Tom Smallwood's bowling style.  Also, no bowlers on the tour wear bowling gloves anymore.

I tuned into this because I watched Pete Holmes on his show Crashing on HBO.  He was the weak link in the cast then (which was weird because that show was based on his own life) and he is the weak link here too.  I think the wife was the wedding singer on a couple episodes of This Is Us.  The bowling place owner is familiar but I can’t place him.  I don’t recognize anyone else in the cast.

I actually met Pete once at a comedy club promoting his HBO show (I was actually there to see Artie Lange). He is EXACTLY like this character and the one he played on Crashing.  Very “oh shucks” type of person.  Very nice, but boring.  After meeting him in person, it doesn’t look like he’s acting at all.

Yeah,  the show is bad.  Good to have on as background noise while I fold laundry or read a book.  Definitely nothing to write home about.