Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06:

• Start Topic

I think it was good overall and I'm glad I watched.  A few major points were very much glossed over though and the audience is expected to accept a bit without detail, particularly in regard to Holly's life post Oxford (or was it Cambridge?).  There also  could have been a better casting choice for young Holly in terms of appearance.  I wonder if there are plans to do more, like an anthology type series in the future.  

• Love 1

It really held my attention and I thought the acting was quite good.  The casting of young Holly was a problem for me.  I also thought Kate was extra repetitive in the trial and the defense lawyer or judge should have told her asked / answered / move on after the umpteenth time.  Rupert Friend and Sienna Miller did a fantastic job.  So did the woman who played Olivia.  The supporting cast was so strong.  I won’t mention the twist here but OMG talk about malpractice.

I thought James sincerely felt he hadn’t raped anyone, and no one ever made him see that he was wrong. I think that might’ve been a better ending even — him realizing that what he’d done to Holly and Olivia was rape. He already knew what they’d done with Alec and the cover-up was wrong, so making him go to prison for that wouldn’t change any of his thinking.

I also wish Holly hadn’t been the prosecutor. Between that huge lie and the affair with the married man, I disliked her and was hoping she’d be found out by someone who would report her. I think it would’ve been better if another prosecutor had discovered Kate was Holly, convinced her to testify, and then the jury still found him not guilty. They still could’ve done the ending where Sophie realizes he is a rapist, has the big scene with Kate, and turns James and Tom over to the police.

I’d give it a 4/10.

• Love 1

Binged over 2 nights. Bizarre camera angles and random fuzzy scenes and flashbacks had me annoyed. Can’t buy younger Holly as grown up Kate. I liked Sienna Miller in this. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Binged over 2 nights. Bizarre camera angles and random fuzzy scenes and flashbacks had me annoyed. Can’t buy younger Holly as grown up Kate. I liked Sienna Miller in this. 

Same!  I early on I figured that Kate was Holly, but said "nah, they don't have one tiny resemblance , but maybe she had surgery or something"  and I can't get over how strikingly gorgeous Sienna Miller is.

• Like 1

I liked both Holly actresses as 20-something and 40-something, but casting dpt should’ve done a better job re. similar features, height, face shape, etc.  The height difference was the worst.  Most females reach their full adult height within a year or two of puberty.  Maybe a girl can grow another inch or two between 12-20 years old, but not 5 or 6 inches!  

Overall, I liked it, and I am glad James and Tom were caught in the end for their complicity in the other student’s death.

I sure hope Sophie got everything in the divorce.

I’m kind of annoyed that there was no follow-up with Olivia. She’s just branded a lying slut after her rapist gets acquitted and sent off to the background while Kate/Holly and Sophie—the white women characters—get justice?

I found this an aggressively MEH show that thought it was clearly doing something brilliant. The camera tricks, the OMG SO SCANDALOUS about stuff that actually didn't seem that scandalous (heinous, yes; scandalous, no)...it was just, meh.

I think the most compelling part to me was Sophie connecting all the dots about her husband's behavior and upbringing with what she wanted for her own children, without having to say each and every one of the words out loud. I was surprised she went scorched earth by contacting the press, but it also fit with the pattern of people both underestimating and overestimating her. 

Presumably the end meant Kate was getting another crack at sending James away. I kind of like that the show let her continue to be sketchy and complicated about her own ethics.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I guessed that Kate was Holly about episode 3.  I'm so glad what I feared didn't happen, that she would be found out and James would walk because of her lies.  I like the way it ended, although I imagine James's participation in the cover up would have a less severe penalty than being convicted of one or two rapes.  Man, those privileged boys were horrible.  Disgusting pigs.

Just ONCE  I’d like to see or read a story about an accused husband who when wife looks over their life doesn’t  turn out to be rapist/pedophile/crook/killer all along.

Spoiler

Looking at you THE MAIDENS, DEADWATER FELL, THE WOMAN ON THE TRAIN, UNDOING…

when the show tipped its hand it became massively less interesting.

the kate/holly thing was ridiculous in multiple levels. As was the notion that they could be prosecuted 20 years later for selling drugs to the kid who jumped, or somehow make it murder that he shouted at him.

that big court scene for Kate was just badgering and hectoring the witness. I expected “my lord learned counsel is testifying” any minute

Sienna Miller and Rupert Friend were very good in this. The actress who played young Holly looked nothing like older Holly. It was either poor casting or they should’ve said Kate had plastic surgery. I couldn’t get past it. 

I agree with Lucindabelle. I don’t see how that incident from 20 years ago would’ve been that big of a scandal, except maybe the momentum of it following him being tried for rape?