Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Like a Phoenix Rising From the Ashes

DanaK
  • Start Topic

04/20/2022 (08:00PM - 09:00PM) (Wednesday) : Will and Hannah work to save a surrogate's baby. Charles cares for a former patient of Lonnie's who's on a hunger strike. Ethan and Archer help a patient with ties to Ethan's late father. Dylan and Maggie are stumped by a drunk patient who claims to be sober.

I bet that girl has that syndrome where the body produces alcohol. It’s already been a plot point on New Amsterdam and Transplant this season. 
Edit: I’m glad to be wrong! They didn’t copy the other shows.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 6

I was shocked it wasn’t the auto brewery syndrome like in every other hospital show - I had never heard of the tampon thing, so it was fun to be surprised when I was so sure. The rest of the episode was okay. Seeing Ethan and Archer, at this point I don’t care if either stays or goes. 

• Love 3

Add me to list of pleasantly surprised viewers! I read the episode synopsis and groaned and rolled my eyes. “Seriously? Auto brewery syndrome? Every medical show has done this!” But, I was wrong! Alcohol-dipped tampons is gross but substance abuse tends to lead people to do unusual things. 

• Love 4

I'm with others who were surprised by the 'alcohol tampon' (eww) diagnosis.  I, too, thought it was that alcohol-producing disease, and was wondering why they didn't seem to have even considered that to be an option.

• Love 3

I had heard about the vodka tampons in the last few years, but I was expecting auto brewery syndrome, too, since just about every medical show has done a story line on that.  It's very dangerous as it releases alcohol directly into your bloodstream.  But hey, you'll pass that breathalyzer test!

• Love 1

They could have done this:  "Might be auto-brewery syndrome. It's incredibly rare but there have been cases in New York and Toronto recently. There's a test for it . . . no, negative. What else might it be?"

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Driad said:

They could have done this:  "Might be auto-brewery syndrome. It's incredibly rare but there have been cases in New York and Toronto recently. There's a test for it . . . no, negative. What else might it be?"

LOVE the New Amsterdam and Transplant references! 

I’m getting a kick out of how every comment thus far is “I can’t believe it wasn’t auto brewery syndrome!” 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Frisky Wig said:

Alcohol-dipped tampons is gross but substance abuse tends to lead people to do unusual things. 

Just wondering. . . . . would an alcohol laced enema produce the same or similar results??

I know very gross.

The only thing that surprised me about the vodka infused tampon was the hospital allowing the patient to keep her tampon inserted.  A quick Google search says symptoms of toxic shock syndrome include vomiting. dizziness and fainting, fatigue, and seizure. Wouldn't they remove the tampon the CT scan showed in their efforts to figure out what was wrong with her?  I know fever is another symptom of TSS, but some people run cold and rarely present a fever.  

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Wouldn't they remove the tampon the CT scan showed in their efforts to figure out what was wrong with her?  I know fever is another symptom of TSS, but some people run cold and rarely present a fever.  

I assume at that point they didn't actually know it was vodka infused, and perhaps she told them she had her period.

They didn't make the connection to the tampon until Dylan did some research on the problem.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, preeya said:

They didn't make the connection to the tampon until Dylan did some research on the problem.

Different connection. The question was about suspecting toxic shock syndrome, not alcohol. 

• Love 3

But how many tampons or how often would one need to dip it into vodka to stay perpetually drunk like the girl was?  Where was the bottle of vodka she was apparently having access to in order to keep the alcohol soaked tampons coming? Many plot holes there. I can’t believe I just wrote that sentence!!

• LOL 1