Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E08: You Better Be Wearing a Seatbelt

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Castaways merge into one tribe and individual immunity is now on the line. At the challenge, castaways try to negotiate with Jeff to get 4 days’ worth of rice.

Original airdate 4/20/22

Wow Romeo was REALLY out of this vote. He's the one who threw the random vote at Hai. Unless he did it to cause some chaos and throw some paranoia at Hai, wondering who voted for him. And if that was the case, then well played. 

• Love 4

I knew I couldn't get all my faves to the finale, but that was still a bummer. Though, that's one of my favorite exits ever.

"Bye Chanelle!"

"Mm-hmm."

"Love you Chanelle!"

"Sure"

Epic shade on Chanelle's part 😆

And Tori the Spoiler! Heeee hee hee! She causes trouble even when she isn't trying! What a star.

In other news, the big group are going to continue leaving Maryanne in the dust at their peril, I think.

So, even when Jonathan tries to lie low and let someone else have the glory sinking baskets, Rocksroy messed it up and Jonathan had to save the day.  Again.  

I want to like Mike, but I really don’t.  Omar is walking a fine line trying to influence people, but knowing when to keep his mouth shut, unlike Hai at tribal.  

• Love 20

I don't know if Romeo was that much out of the loop or he just threw a vote at Hai because he felt like it.  

I'm not sad to see Chanelle go, and I love me some bitter castaways.  I heard we aren't getting Ponderosa this year, so that's sad if true.  I think I would have liked the Chanelle boot more if she overplayed her way out of the game, but it seemed like it was more personal to Mike and Hai, and that it just made her an easy vote for everyone else.  I'm honestly shocked she was that blindsided.

Of course Drea gets another advantage.  I love how she tried to use the excuse she was painting the flag for the red paint on her arm, but I guess she didn't count on Sherlock Tori to actually notice the flag hadn't been touched.  I'm surprised we didn't see Tori take her suspicions even further, because I can't believe she didn't.  Speaking of which, I remember the days when they'd devote airtime to someone painting the merge flag.  It seemed like a badge of honor to be chosen.  

During the RC, why did the blue team not even think of having Jonathan throw the balls into the basket?  Poor Omar, he almost got to be the hero.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I love Drea and am ready for her to start causing chaos with her arsenal of advantages. How she uses them and who she uses them with will be interesting to watch. Jonathan is simply a beast, and Tori is making the most of this particular stretch of immunity challenges. 

Omar's play-all-sides will blow up in his face at some point soon-ish, right?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

“Bye Chanelle!"

"Mm-hmm."

"Love you Chanelle!"

"Sure"

Epic shade on Chanelle's part 😆

Love. It.  That’s exactly how bootees should flee, not all that kumbaya bullshit that is fake as hell.

Jonathan stop winning dumb reward challenges and win immunity for cod’s sack.

Chanelle thought she was playing chess while everyone else played checkers, but it was more like she was playing Go Fish.

I wouldn’t have liked PB&J either.  PB yes.  Add the J and no ew gross.

• LOL 6
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, hendersonrocks said:

I love Drea and am ready for her to start causing chaos with her arsenal of advantages. How she uses them and who she uses them with will be interesting to watch. Jonathan is simply a beast, and Tori is making the most of this particular stretch of immunity challenges. 

Omar's play-all-sides will blow up in his face at some point soon-ish, right?

Rocksroy wanted to be the hero and Jonathan wanted to lie low for once.  Until he couldn’t wait any longer since Rocksroy wasn’t going to admit he couldn’t do it.  

I thought Lyndsey was surprisingly good in the reward challenge, as was Omar and Jonathan was surprisingly good in the immunity challenge.   

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I heard we aren't getting Ponderosa this year, so that's sad if true.  

Wait, what???!!!  That’s the best part of Survivor!

Awww, man! 😡

• Love 1

I kind of wish MaryAnne, Chanelle, Romeo, and Tori (plus MaryAnne's extra vote) decided to try and blindside someone from the big alliance.  Since they split their votes between Romeo and Chanelle, it would have worked. 

44 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Wait, what???!!!  That’s the best part of Survivor!

Awww, man! 😡

Someone on Reddit screen shot an account from Twitter who said this.  I'll see if I can find it.  I hope the person is wrong.  This would probably be a fun Ponderosa season, and I can't imagine why the show wouldn't have it.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Brendan Birch said:

So Tori was the initial target tonight, because Drea didn't trust her after she tried to blindside her.  Drea does remember that she only tried to blindside her because Swati wanted to, right?  Tori even told her and Romeo that she'd never wanted to blindside Drea.  She wanted the women's alliance with her.  It was Swati's idea to try and blindside her.  So it's rather convenient that she's putting it all on Tori instead.

This is all true, but Swati is no longer in the game and Tori is, so psychologically it makes a certain sense for Drea to only remember Tori's role in it and magnify it. And it helps justify Drea's need to get Tori out (which is all the greater since Tori's SpiderTherapist-Sense saw through Drea's paint lie.)

In my eyes Mike's stock was dropping rapidly with his Channelle obsession. It's made me  like him a whole lot less. At least now that she's gone he can shut up about her already.

Tori on an immunity run...who would have ever thought it. I'm sure  her teammates now are wishing they had snuffed her torch early on when they had the chance.

The montage with Drea and all the stuff she had accumulated magnificently highlighted just how completely absurd the number idols, advantages and whatever else they've introduced into this game is. Here is a twist...how about a season  where all twists expire at the midway point if not used and then its up to your game play and people skill to get you to the end (I would suggest an entirely twist/idol free season but no way you could wean Jeff off of them when he's talking to the camera like George Burns saying he'll be bummed if an advantage isn't' found).

Lindsey's glam look at tribal is what you usually see AFTER someone is voted out and makes their first jury appearance.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 18
23 minutes ago, UGAmp said:

I’m not ashamed of the number of times that I replayed Jonathan’s dive in the reward challenge. 

Only one of his dives?   The little one at the end was quite nice too.  Although May have to watch both again…to be sure.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
54 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

During the RC, why did the blue team not even think of having Jonathan throw the balls into the basket?  Poor Omar, he almost got to be the hero.  

47 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Rocksroy wanted to be the hero and Jonathan wanted to lie low for once.  Until he couldn’t wait any longer since Rocksroy wasn’t going to admit he couldn’t do it.  

I thought Lyndsey was surprisingly good in the reward challenge, as was Omar and Jonathan was surprisingly good in the immunity challenge.   

I thought it was because Jonathan would be good at retrieving missed balls quickly - Omar still could have won if his team hadn't been so slow at getting the ball back to him.  In other news, I was reminded of why I didn't like Rocksroy.  Unfortunately, at this point in the game his stinky challenge performances make him less likely to get voted out.  Lyndsey was very impressive - being "just behind" Jonathan was the equivalent of beating him! 😄. And Omar's skills were impressive too!  As for Mary Anne - if you're worried people aren't liking you so much - change your behavior a bit!  It seems like maybe she did.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

The montage with Drea and all the stuff she had accumulated magnificently highlighted just how completely absurd the number idols, advantages and whatever else they've introduced into this game is. Here is a twist...how about a season  where all twists expire at the midway point if not used and then its up to your game play and people skill to get you to the end (I would suggest an entirely twist/idol free season but no way you could wean Jeff off of them when he's talking to the camera like George Burns saying he'll be bummed if an advantage isn't' found).

I think what's frustrating about all the idols and advantages is that they could possibly ruin what's been a good season so far.  Having the immunity idols, fine.  But everything else is so much overkill.  This cast seems smart enough to actually navigate the game without idols and advantages.  They'd probably be gaming even better knowing those factors weren't there.

• Love 13

Mike, as some people mentioned on the live chat thread, is annoying me with his hypocrisy and righteous indignation.  Chanelle supposedly stabbed him in the back, but he stabbed Lydia in hers?  That's okay with him?  Not a good color on you, dude.

Mike is inflexible and that may be his undoing. Everyone else was willing to switch their vote to Romeo but it looks like Mike got his way. At some point he's going to be left out of the decision because he isn't willing to go with the flow. It was already happening when he was on Yati. There seems to be a pretty strong alliance right now so that's keeping Jonathan safe for now but it might be Mike rather than Jonathan that becomes the main target once it's down to just them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

That was quite a metaphor going on there at TC. Let’s see, you have to chose to get in a car, but maybe it’s the wrong car, or maybe it’s the right car but it only has four seats so you have to ride in the trunk. Do you drive or just go along for the ride? And what if they stop at a gas station and you get out to go to the bathroom and they leave without you?

whew! At least wear your seatbelt!

• LOL 18
  • Love 4

I'm still not sure why Drea decided she was done with Romeo. That's what caused his paranoia before TC. She wouldn't talk or even look at him. I think she's been playing pretty smart, but that stands out as questionable as he was still very much a vote she could control. I also think Romeo would be more loyal than Rocks who wants in with Jonathan bad. Maybe Drea's social game isn't as sharp as it as could be. She's gotta be a heavy favorite now for the win with all her hardware, but she's also getting a little too comfy and a bit smug.

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know if Romeo was that much out of the loop or he just threw a vote at Hai because he felt like it.  

Not a great look for Romeo with the way Hai made a point boost Romeo's confidence and morale last week.

1 hour ago, Brendan Birch said:

Mike, as some people mentioned on the live chat thread, is annoying me with his hypocrisy and righteous indignation.  Chanelle supposedly stabbed him in the back, but he stabbed Lydia in hers?  That's okay with him?  Not a good color on you, dude.

This X 100. I'm not a fan of Mike. He just comes off as too self-righteous for me. He's also not as smart or insightful about the game as he thinks himself to be.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

In other news, the big group are going to continue leaving Maryanne in the dust at their peril, I think.

I've been thinking about this and MaryAnne's teary confessional about nobody wanting to work with her and there must be something wrong with her. At first I thought it was foreshadowing her leaving, but she didn't get a single vote tonight. So I think we need to remember that confessional. It was there for a reason. It looks to me like she's going to outlast some people who didn't want to include her.

I also think Drea switching positions with MaryAnne for the RC may have been in part an apology for the last tribal where Drea kept shutting her down. (Not discounting Drea wanting to look for an advantage, of course.)

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

Mike looked impressive without a shirt on. Bet Rocksroy was wishing he had some abs to show off. Lindsay kicked butt in that challenge and who knew Omar would be good at shooting baskets. When Jonathan was thanking the sit out people and said he'd make it up to them, I expected him to provide them with a lobster dinner.

• Love 3

Another average episode. Lots of paranoia and stellar performances from Jonathan and Tori, but it's partially shadowed by Probst playing to the camera yet again. Jeff? We don't care about you, man. Just do the play-by-play, stir the shit at Tribal, and STFU. He also hyped "The Monster" for next season.

I'm thinking there HAD to have been talk on voting for Jonathan. The guy is the biggest alpha dude the show has presented in years. He should be the first thought. I understand voting out Tori, though. She's less of a "goat" (small letters) and more "We have to remove her from the game at once!" And like I said last week, she looks like she's talked to a LOT of managers.

Maryann is still Maryann.

Funny that Drea agreed to sit out the Reward Challenge because she genuinely didn't like peanut butter, as opposed to thinking Maryann might have an opportunity to get an advantage. The "red-handed" bit was inspired, including Drea trying to write it off as fooling around with paint, which was technically true. I am tickled that the castaways get arts and crafts material. When did Michael's become a sponsor?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 8

Mike annoyed me too about getting HIS target Chanelle out instead of changing the vote to Romeo. That was a personal move all because she voted for him. His name was only written down once. Not a good look on you, Mike. 

YES! Tori won immunity again. I'm loving her every week. I wouldn't mind seeing her continue to go on an immunity run.

Edited by TVFan1
  • Love 7

I went back and watched the vote.  Noticed for the first time that MaryAnne looked genuinely surprised, and she was a Romeo vote.  Romeo, the lone Hai vote, didn't look surprised at all.  I feel like this is putting MaryAnne more on the bottom.  If Tori keeps up her immunity wins, MaryAnne might be in trouble.  Even more so if Drea believes she might play, and takes it from her before a vote.  

I was really surprised that no one played their shot in the dark tonight (really thought Romeo of all people would), especially after Jeff mentioned it during the IC that two scrolls would say safe.

• Love 1

I don’t think the show has touched on exactly when Drea & Romeo had a “falling out”. It wasn’t until the big alliance formed that she said that she had Rocks and didn’t even mention Romeo. Yet all the episodes before that showed them a tight two. Very odd. I guess we’ll have to wait until one or both of them are voted out and the exit interviews are done. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I hate to say I co-sign but you pretty much posted exactly what I wanted to say.  I have no problem with Drea, or any of the players this season for that matter, but holy cow enough is enough with the advantages and Idols.  This happened on Survivor Australia: Brains vs. Brawn.  There was a guy named George who was the target at nearly every TC he attended and he always managed to find some sort of advantage to save himself.  He had at the very least (Going by my memory here) three different advantages in the game if not more.  Now granted I thought he was the best player that season but still it was overkill just like it is for Drea.

I would love to see a back to basics season were they play it like season one.  Like you said it will never happen but it would be such a cool twist because then the castaways have to actually earn their spot.

And now we have Rocks talking about an all-men's alliance...great.  I know I sound like a broken record but I hate anything like that and I really hope it does not become thing.  Having an alliance based on one's genitals is just as bad as having it based on one's skin color, just stupid in my book. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

I think Maryann is more self-aware than she admits to...and plays it up as part of her strategy to win favor with the tribe. If that's her game, more power to her. If not, then she's completely clueless...not to mention utterly annoying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, Brendan Birch said:

I figured it was Romeo.

Chanelle's had this coming for a while, but at least she was (mostly) a good sport about it, and she seemed happy to be on the jury.

Good for Tori, winning yet another Immunity Challenge.

Drea is getting big for her britches, having four advantages like this.  Omar's getting big for his, as well.  I wonder if one or both are going to be blindsided?

My ears went up when jeff said that there is a “penalty” if you dont do exactly as beware option says, yet mike ignored the directions for 2 councils. The other ridiculousness was dre showing all her amulets and idols . Doesnt anyone in production see how ridiculous and confusing this is getting ???

• Love 11

<small voice> I'm starting to root a little bit for Tori.  I like when someone knows they are in trouble they'll give it their all.  I imagine she's sifting every grain of sand and turning over every leaf for an idol, but since we aren't seeing this it looks like she's relying on her own strength to save herself.

4 hours ago, Primetimer said:

Just posted: Primetimer's Joe Reid weighs in on who he thinks is most likely to make it to the final six after tonight's less than surprising boot:
https://www.primetimer.com/features/whos-in-the-drivers-seat-as-survivor-42-hits-the-jury-phase

I disagree with his take on Mike and agree with other posters that his intransigence is going to bite him in the butt.  Instead of controlling the vote it was more like everyone rolled their eyes and said, "oh, all right, whatever."

• Love 8
6 hours ago, grandmabegum said:

She doesn't like peanut butter, but I found it strange that this is also the challenge that Xander volunteered to sit out.

Xander came off as playing to the Jury when he went to sit out, it wasn't because he didn't like the reward or anything like that, it was because Erika hadn't had one and he was being a super nice guy. The problem with Xander's moves is that they were read as being calculated moves to win votes and not a nice gesture that might help win votes. Every time Xander volunteered for something like that it felt like a big gesture, I don't know how he pulled it off but it never felt like a natural thing.  

5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Dear Maryanne: Yes, you’re a weirdo. And no, you’ll never be in the Cool Kids Club. But as someone who has spent time in both places, l can assure you that Camp Weirdos is much more fun. You be you, girl. 

4 hours ago, MsTree said:

I think Maryann is more self-aware than she admits to...and plays it up as part of her strategy to win favor with the tribe. If that's her game, more power to her. If not, then she's completely clueless...not to mention utterly annoying.

I get where Maryann is coming from but she knows that her behavior is off putting for people. She has to know that. At some point in time you figure out how to be you without being off putting. Maryann needs to learn to control how much she speaks  and figure out when it is ok to just gogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogogo. She has said that she has never dated and that she has always been on the outside. She seems to be smart enough to figure out that her constant chatter is bothering people. She can embrace that part of herself and know that there are going to be a smaller number of people who want to spend time with her or she can find the people who are cool with that and let it out there and work on chilling out a bit around other people and widen her circle. 

Queen of ADHD here so I get where she is coming from. It can be lonely but you have to own your choice as an adult when you are the one who is different. Maryann is different, it might be personality it might be something else, she needs to either own it or figure out how to adjust her behavior a bit. 

I doubt that she is running her mouth and going 24/7 as strategy, that is who she is. Is she playing up elements of emotion to gain sympathy, sound like it.

39 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

My ears went up when jeff said that there is a “penalty” if you dont do exactly as beware option says, yet mike ignored the directions for 2 councils. The other ridiculousness was dre showing all her amulets and idols . Doesnt anyone in production see how ridiculous and confusing this is getting ???

Mike didn't have a vote at two tribal councils and lost one of his allies because he didn't have a vote. That was his penalty, no vote until the idols activated. If Mike had his vote, then Lydia would have gone home and Jenny would have stayed. 

Mike was far too focused on Chanelle at that tribal but he is focused on Chanelle choosing to risk her vote, when she knew Mike didn't have a vote and they would be tied without her vote, AND she wrote down Mike's name at Tribal after telling him she wouldn't. While Mike was stuck on a plan, and that is not good, I get where he is coming from. Mike lost his main ally in Jenny because Chanelle decided to risk her vote in a situation where she should not have. 

Chanelle made it clear early on that she was playing for herself. She screwed over Mike and Jenny with her risking her vote and threw Daniel under the bus. She got back in the bus and ran Daniel over a few times just to be safe. And then swerved to try and hit Mike, just in case Daniel wasn't already gone. 

Romeo's antics around camp would bother me more because I don't think I could deal with the hyper paranoid person but he is less of a threat in a lot of ways. He is not a threat in most challenges. The people he is allied with are less trustworthy (Tori and Rocksroy). And his energy and moves are so paranoid that no one seems to want to work with him. Chanelle didn't have many allies, no one from the green tribe trusted her but she was calm. Calm can be more scary then paranoid because you could see having a chill conversation with her and wanting to work with her on a blindside, you can't see that with Romeo. Mike framed it as a personal thing, and it 100% was, but I am not sold that he had the wrong target. 

• Love 10

MaryAnne has swallowed the idea that if one loves oneself others will also love that person hook, line, and sinker.  The reality is that we often have to have a "filter" (which, of course, many people see it as a badge of honor to proclaim that they have no filter...) in order to create harmonious relationships.  There are many times when I keep my true sarcastic thoughts as just that-thoughts, as I know others would not appreciate/understand them.  I can still be myself while honoring those with whom I am interacting.  It doesn't mean changing who one is, it just means understanding that sometimes we respect those with whom we are interacting by not always insisting on causing drama, tension, etc.  However, I also think that we got a glimpse of the "true" MaryAnne when she acknowledged that she was using emotions to manipulate others.  So, perhaps, she has created a self of unrelenting nonsensical talking narrative to wear others down so that they will give in to whatever it is she wants to do and she is just dumbfounded that it isn't working with this particular group of people.  That instead of catering to her, they are side-stepping her.

Poor Jonathon-even when he wants to lay low he can't as his teams can't win without him.  In another season I think Lindsey would get a much more predominant edit as she is really good in the challenges.  And, I'm glad that Omar got a bit of praise for his good efforts at the reward challenge.

I think Hai's undoing may be that he tried to change the plan after the plan was in place.  Don't confuse the large alliance by trying to switch it.  Just move Romeo up in the elimination order if need be, but once the vote-out agreement was in place Hai should have just left it alone.  It may put a bigger target on Hai that he is willing to change targets and cause some level of confusion.

Tori is quietly cracking me up.  Winning immunities which causes disruption to the large alliance and catching Drea in her lie about the red paint.  I wonder if Tori will create a level of chaos before she leaves the game.

Once Jonathon climbs a palm tree and gets coconuts I think he will officially become the "new Ozzy."  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I have accepted that we will never get the idol/advantage-free season that some of us really want.  But I agree - when one player has four different advantages, I just tune out because I no longer remember what they're all for, or what powers they all have.  I do like the idea of making the advantages expire at some point - didn't most big advantages used to have a sell-by date?  At some point, aren't we going to have a major advantage-palooza - with one person playing an advantage and someone else countering it with their own, and two more players stand up and play theirs, while the original person dumps out her remaining three advantages and tries to figure out how to use them....which I'm sure is exactly what Probst is hoping will happen while he does that hand-on-chin thing while smiling in sheer amazement.

But something finally made sense to me...when Jeff was gleefully telling us about how he'd negotiate down to 4 players for the rice, he also informed any future players that maybe he wouldn't be so nice next time because you never know when the Monster's appetite would increase (or something like that).  So Jeff is the Monster we've been promised these past two seasons....got it.  I was wondering.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Maya said:

How dumb are these idiots to not vote out Jonathan? He’s a likable guy who’s amazing at challenges. 

He's a shield right now. Drag him to F5 then try to get him out before the Jury vote.

• Love 2

People are on Survivor eating bugs and raw fish and Drea skips PB&J because she, "doesn't like it?"  I like my peanut butter on whole wheat with lettuce and mayo, but I'd do the jelly in a heartbeat if I was starving.  I think she just remembered Sarah policewoman finding an advantage under that bench. Drea is my eye candy this year, what a lovely heart shaped face.

Whoever said you can't win Survivor being paranoid and running from person to person must not have watched Adam's season. Romeo doesn't seem that irritating to me, maybe he'll settle down and win.

Maryann's crying about being "on the bottom" and left out would have touched me more if Lydia hasn't just been coldly blindsided by the group without doing anything wrong at all.  That's left out.

Tori's grit and focus during the challenges is great to watch.  She can always say she beat Jonathan!

• Love 8

I don't know why everyone said Romeo was causing chaos. He was scrambling, but it was Tori who started that by telling him that his name was being floated when there was no reason for her to do that. Of course he would go to Rocksroy to confirm, since Romeo knows that Rocksroy has no use for Tori and would be unlikely to tell her anything, but then Rocksroy got flustered or is bad at strategic lies and said he heard Romeo's name too. No wonder Romeo was paranoid.

Tori is like a bad luck charm. She makes an alliance with Zach and Zach gets voted out. She makes an alliance with Swati and Swati gets voted out. She gives Romeo information and Romeo very nearly gets voted out. Everyone out there should just start running when they see Tori coming toward them.

I had to laugh at the IC when Maryanne sits out, Lindsay sits out, Drea sits out and there's no reaction. Then Omar sits out and everyone is hugging and backslapping him. Any woman who's ever had a job is, like, well doesn't this feel familiar.

• Love 20
33 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

People are on Survivor eating bugs and raw fish and Drea skips PB&J because she, "doesn't like it?"  I like my peanut butter on whole wheat with lettuce and mayo, but I'd do the jelly in a heartbeat if I was starving. 

Right??? I loathe coconut with the fire of a thousand suns, but I'd damn well eat it to avoid starvation (though I would never go on Survivor in the first place).

Also, shut UP, Mike. It's not about you.

Yes, voting off someone who agreed to sit out the challenge in exchange for rice would be a jerk move. However, there are still four orange people -- I refuse to use the stupid "tribe" names -- left. And one of them is He-Man's Southern cousin who wins all the things and DID NOT SIT OUT. #JustSaying

• LOL 1
  • Love 8