Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Farnsby & B

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I tried to find when the term came into use but I didn't find anything and, well, I didn't want to google too much...

FWIW,
the OED Online lists a 1928 citation for that meaning for "suck" (from the 1935 publication, Lexical Evidence From Folk Epigraphy in Western North America: A Glossarial Study of the Low Element in the English Vocabulary) which implies it was used in conversation earlier.
The OED Online also shows:

Spoiler

1902   Testimony in People ex rel. J. Churchill against F. V. Greene (Supreme Court State N.Y.) (1904) I. 495   She pointed to a woman who sat in the rear of the room and she said, ‘That woman..has got medals all over her undershirt and underdrawers for sucking cocks.’

--a PDF of the original of which is here: 
google.com/books/edition/New_York_Court_of_Appeals_Records_and_Br/oeV1Ejsf5dkC?hl=en&gbpv=1&pg=PA1977&printsec=frontcover

--which further implies that it was in the common vernacular prior to 1902, meaning probably in the 19th century.

But since I am no longer being paid to be an academic librarian, and no one here is in the process of publishing on this topic and in need of a citation, I will now attend to more prosaic errands and housework.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 8
  • Love 5

Shh, we don't talk about Bruno because now it's stuck in my head again.

Pete does know what it means, I think in one episode he was going to say something and Trevor hit Pete to shut up. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought I was the only one who hasn't seen Hamilton.  And never will because I don't like rap & hip hop and have no interest in it.

I don't like rap or hip hop either so I was surprised by how much I liked the songs. The show has traditional musical numbers too. If you ever become curious, check out "I'll be back." It's hilarious, a bit sinister, and dang catchy. That was my gateway song to the show.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought I was the only one who hasn't seen Hamilton.  And never will because I don't like rap & hip hop and have no interest in it.

Right there with you. I'm happy the show was such a success and brought so much new attention to live theatre, but a few attempts to listen to the songs proved it was very much not my thing.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Right there with you. I'm happy the show was such a success and brought so much new attention to live theatre, but a few attempts to listen to the songs proved it was very much not my thing.

I've never seen Hamilton. I would love to see Isaac's reaction to 1776 a musical that I enjoy. Alberta would also have some interesting comments since her family probably included slaves.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I don't like rap or hip hop either so I was surprised by how much I liked the songs. The show has traditional musical numbers too. If you ever become curious, check out "I'll be back." It's hilarious, a bit sinister, and dang catchy. That was my gateway song to the show.

I won't ever be interested.  I run screaming from anything involving Lin-Manuel Miranda.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

Oral sex existed before the late 20th century, but the phrase "sucked off" could easily be much more modern.

I don't know . . . it seems pretty obvious to me. And surely they notice Trevor giggling every time they say it. Most of them should have figured it out.

Pete does know what it means, I think in one episode he was going to say something and Trevor hit Pete to shut up. 

No, that was Sam - he shuts her down every time she tries to object. He did the same thing with her when "he went down on us" came up. I think Pete is just wayyyyy too innocent to get the connotation. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No, that was Sam - he shuts her down every time she tries to object. He did the same thing with her when "he went down on us" came up. I think Pete is just wayyyyy too innocent to get the connotation.

It was in ep 7. I watched it again and it was actually Pete that hit Trevor to stop him from laughing about it. It was when Jay was helping Sass write a text to Shiki. Jay asked if they eventually go up and Sass says sucked off. Trevor starts laughing and Pete hits him and sighs. He knows what it means. Pete is a sweet guy but i don't think he's that sheltered and innocent. He was married with a kid. 

I'm thinking Pete doesn't stop them from saying it because he doesn't want to explain what it means. Especially since I'm sure Thorfin would ask a lot of questions about it. Lol 

Have we ever heard any of the more modern ghosts even say it? I don't remember Flower, Pete or Trevor saying it. Trevor just laughs when the others say it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 4/22/2022 at 5:31 PM, Mezzaluna said:

I've got a bone to pick with the show runners. How is it that Thor - after many years of hearing English - still only has a two-year-old's grasp of the lingo? He refers to himself in the third person.   He's had a LOT of time to pick up more vocab and grammar.

You might have known people who have been in your home country for their entire adult lives and still have a thick accent. I certainly do. Or maybe have been appalled at some people's total ineptness at pronouncing common Spanish words correctly. Some people really don't have an ear or talent for other languages.

On 4/23/2022 at 8:50 AM, North of Eden said:

I do like your idea about Pete...maybe they could have a romance across a stonewall at the property line.

If the home had been a speakeasy at one time (isn't that why Alberta was there?) and it's a historical NY home, there could easily be tunnels running between a couple of properties (to avoid the cops or move runaway slaves), so there's that possibility. They might be closed off now, but they can be repaired. That opens up lots of inter-ghostal activity.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, mojito said:

If the home had been a speakeasy at one time (isn't that why Alberta was there?) and it's a historical NY home, there could easily be tunnels running between a couple of properties (to avoid the cops or move runaway slaves), so there's that possibility. They might be closed off now, but they can be repaired. That opens up lots of inter-ghostal activity.

"inter-ghostal activity"🤣 is a great turn of phrase, @mojito.
I hope it floats up into the zeitgeist and the writers take note.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 4/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, Annber03 said:

I'm probably one of very few people left on Earth who hasn't seen Hamilton yet,

I'm in that group too :-) and will stay there because I have no desire to watch it.

I had a coworker tell me about this show, so I searched for it on my ROKU and was happy I found it on the PLUTO app for free. I really enjoyed this and can't wait for season 2.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 4/23/2022 at 9:36 AM, shapeshifter said:

I just noticed in this episode that at the end of the opening scene, as the Farnsby's leave after declaring war on Jay & Sam's B&B, that Jay yells, "SAM!" just like Darren used to do.

And Jay frequently calls Sam "Babe" in the same way Darren would call Samantha "Hon."

Since the Farnsby's ghost only appears for a gag at the end of the season, she might be a one-off, but I don't think so. Her presence establishes that there are Ghosts Next Door.

• Maybe she has information to help solve Alberta's murder--perhaps the Farnsbys have an attic with old records and papers that she knows about/has read. 
  • Maybe she's a murdered Farnsby!
  • Or, at least, she may have knowledge of (less literal) skeletons in the Farnsbys' closet that Jay and Sam could use as blackmail, if necessary. 
  • Did she die at the right age to now be a soulmate for Trevor?

The 50's ghost is named Judy. According to the Joes there are more ghosts at the Farnsby house and we'll see them next season. 

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 4/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, eel21788 said:

According to the radio program I listen to, putting a pineapple (not necessarily upside down) in the child-seat part of your grocery cart means you're in the store to find someone to go home with. 

I've been very careful about where I place my pineapples since hearing this. 

Important update on pineapple placement:

The guy on my radio program says that he has now been buying pineapple regularly and putting it in the child seat. Nobody has approached him, so apparently it is necessary to have the pineapple upside down if you're looking for a date. You're welcome.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2

"Yeah, I couldn't hear anything they were saying, but your face says it all."
"If there is even a small chance that this could make them all go away, then I don't want to take that chance."

😭😭😭

How does this little half-hour show about ghosts end up making me cry and feel things? It's NOT FAIR. 

Look how far this little mansion family has come, y'all. The ghosts banded together in the pilot to haunt Sam/Jay out of the house because they didn't want a bed-and-breakfast and now they're all eagerly waiting at the door to find out if Sam and Jay won their pickleball game and none of them want Sam not to be able to see them. 

Yeah, the goodbyes mostly focused on what Sam had done for them (cooked pepperoni pizzas for Sasappis to smell, gave Thor a Viking funeral, started Isaac's autobiography, worked on Alberta's murder), but you totally know that behind all of that the ghosts are really saying if the curse-break went badly they would miss her. Not what she can do for them or that she's their connection to the Living world, but that they'd miss Sam Arondekar the person. Because she's become their friend.

Or in Hetty's case, a daughter with harlot hair :p. I love that line XD

And the thought of these eight ghosts who've been able to live for the past year in ways they've dared to only dream of forced back to a lonely existence of Sam not being able to see, hear or acknowledge them beyond the primitive ways the ghosts communicate with Jay - God. I totally get why Sam couldn't do it. Three cheers to Jay for not only understanding but agreeing.

All the goodbyes got me a little misty-eyed, not going to lie, but it was Alberta's that almost made me cry. "Oh, and if you make any progress [on solving my murder], just stand in the middle of the room and just tell me. I'll be here." 

Cue my mind wandering down the rabbit-hole and what if in this universe where Sam lost the ability to see the ghosts Sam is talking to the room telling Alberta she can rest easy now, her murder's been solved, and Trevor/the other ghosts have to write to her and tell her Alberta's been sucked off?

Pete still hating Mark for stealing his BFF Jay away from him makes me laugh. It's also hilarious how Thor learned the completely wrong lesson about apologizing. ("Sorry for putting curse on you. You can't be mad 'cause I said sorry.")

In other topics, Isaac's long-suffering disdain for everything Alexander Hamilton is my favorite thing about him, I swear XD. (I think my favorite part of the subplot was Hetty quoting the musical wrong to irritate him like a sister would.) But oh, the look on his face when the non-fife-playing shed ghost told him Nigel had been sucked off. And Hetty immediately knew something was wrong when Isaac said he didn't want to talk about it :(

But then he came back! Geez, even ghosts have bitter and manipulative exes. That sucks. 

I love Hetty encouraging Isaac the entire episode to tell Nigel how he feels, and aw, when he finally did and Nigel responded in kind! YAY Isaac! I love how you could see the other ghosts in the background besides Hetty non-verbally encouraging him as well :D.

Thor, Sass, Trevor and the others silently agreeing behind Hetty's back to give her the win of being the first/only one to know Isaac had feelings for Nigel was adorable. I love this little ghost family so much! 

I could go the rest of the series without seeing the Farnsbys, but YAY for Sam and Jay winning the pickleball game by default! How far away is the Farnsby property from the Woodstone mansion? I wonder how it is that our Woodstone ghosts never knew about the Farnsby ghost, but I suppose they could have and it never came up before, like Stephanie.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

"Yeah, I couldn't hear anything they were saying, but your face says it all."
"If there is even a small chance that this could make them all go away, then I don't want to take that chance."

😭😭😭

How does this little half-hour show about ghosts end up making me cry and feel things? It's NOT FAIR. 

Look how far this little mansion family has come, y'all. The ghosts banded together in the pilot to haunt Sam/Jay out of the house because they didn't want a bed-and-breakfast and now they're all eagerly waiting at the door to find out if Sam and Jay won their pickleball game and none of them want Sam not to be able to see them. 

Yeah, the goodbyes mostly focused on what Sam had done for them (cooked pepperoni pizzas for Sasappis to smell, gave Thor a Viking funeral, started Isaac's autobiography, worked on Alberta's murder), but you totally know that behind all of that the ghosts are really saying if the curse-break went badly they would miss her. Not what she can do for them or that she's their connection to the Living world, but that they'd miss Sam Arondekar the person. Because she's become their friend.

Or in Hetty's case, a daughter with harlot hair :p. I love that line XD

Yes. Yes to all of this :D. Funny how you start watching this show and thinking it's just gonna be a cute, fun half hour and then halfway through you're getting all emotional about these two living people and their newfound dead family members :p. 

I also laughed at your description of them "eagerly waiting at the door", because now I'm picturing them as a group of excited puppies XD. 

All the goodbyes got me a little misty-eyed, not going to lie, but it was Alberta's that almost made me cry. "Oh, and if you make any progress [on solving my murder], just stand in the middle of the room and just tell me. I'll be here." 

Cue my mind wandering down the rabbit-hole and what if in this universe where Sam lost the ability to see the ghosts Sam is talking to the room telling Alberta she can rest easy now, her murder's been solved, and Trevor/the other ghosts have to write to her and tell her Alberta's been sucked off?

...okay, this bit gets me emotional enough as it is, and you just HAD to go and make this alternate scenario even more heartbreaking :(?

In other topics, Isaac's long-suffering disdain for everything Alexander Hamilton is my favorite thing about him, I swear XD. (I think my favorite part of the subplot was Hetty quoting the musical wrong to irritate him like a sister would.) But oh, the look on his face when the non-fife-playing shed ghost told him Nigel had been sucked off. And Hetty immediately knew something was wrong when Isaac said he didn't want to talk about it :(

The look on Isaac's face in that scene breaks my heart every time :'(. He's on the verge of tears!

I just love that that musical inadvertently wound up being what gave him the push to finally decide to confess his feelings to Nigel :D. And I love that he noted that Hetty was quoting the musical incorrectly, too - he paid more attention to it than he wants to let on! LOL. 

But then he came back! Geez, even ghosts have bitter and manipulative exes. That sucks. 

"You got sucked off!"

"You wish I got sucked off!" 

That exchange...XD.

I love Hetty encouraging Isaac the entire episode to tell Nigel how he feels, and aw, when he finally did and Nigel responded in kind! YAY Isaac! I love how you could see the other ghosts in the background besides Hetty non-verbally encouraging him as well :D.

Thor, Sass, Trevor and the others silently agreeing behind Hetty's back to give her the win of being the first/only one to know Isaac had feelings for Nigel was adorable. I love this little ghost family so much!

Hee, I love that, too, with Hetty thinking she was the only one who knew and Isaac being surprised at the idea that everyone else DID know about his feelings for Nigel :p. Oblivious dorks, the both of them. 

There's also the moment where Isaac's still trying to play down his attraction to Nigel and being all, "Why would he care about keeping two buddies apart?"  - when he says that, I can't help noticing Trevor in the background. He has this totally exasperated look on his face like, "Oh, my god, Isaac, buddy, come on..." :p. 

So happy you've enjoyed this first season so much. I look so forward to your thoughts on season 2 :D. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I can't help noticing Trevor in the background. He has this totally exasperated look on his face like, "Oh, my god, Isaac, buddy, come on..." :p. 

That is one of the many things that makes this show so great, the actions and reactions and acting going on in the background. I love it when actors/character don't just stand around watching the scene before them but act the way they would if they were real. 

This group of actors have all proven that they are excellent silent actors, and also that they really, really know their characters. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Now I kinda want to see them do a silent episode :D. That'd be a kick. 

A medium comes to stay at the B&B. While she can't see ghosts, she can hear them. So the ghosts must stay silent during her stay, but they still want Sam to cater to their every whim, so they must get her attention as quietly as possible. 

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

A medium comes to stay at the B&B. While she can't see ghosts, she can hear them. So the ghosts must stay silent during her stay, but they still want Sam to cater to their every whim, so they must get her attention as quietly as possible. 

They have to use the primitive communication techniques they use on Jay. 

• Like 1