Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

Whimsy

S01.E18: Farnsby & B

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I think I'll have to see if they have all the episodes available on demand when I get home.

They should - mine does. Also CBS.com, and the CBS app.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

Is Pete jealous of Mark and that’s why he wanted Jay to stop hanging out with him?

Yes. Remember the basketball episode?

Quote

The Farnsby's not wanting the disturbance in the neighborhood that they think Sam and Jay's B&B will bring, and combating that by opening their own competing B&B and thus siphoning guests away Sam and Jay's business.....makes no sense.

I think their plan was to siphon customers away from Woodstone just long enough for Jay and Sam to go bankrupt and then have to sell off and move away. They weren't in it for the money or the long haul. 

  • Love 14

Share this post


Link to post

OK, I'm one of people who hopes Jay gets to see the ghost because of falling through the floor and hitting his head. Otherwise I would guess that Utkarsh will get tired of just doing reaction shots while Rose gets all the good stuff.

I've got a bone to pick with the show runners. How is it that Thor - after many years of hearing English - still only has a two-year-old's grasp of the lingo? He refers to himself in the third person.   He's had a LOT of time to pick up more vocab and grammar.

And then there's Sasappis. He could be a college student from the 20th century. His speech is fairly impeccable and there's no discernible accent.

 

  • Love 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

This is a possibility.  Utkarsh Ambudkar was the first Aaron Burr until he got distracted by parties.  https://decider.com/2020/07/17/hamilton-original-aaron-burr-utkarsh-ambudkar/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons  I had no clue of the connection between the two until I read the articles from the cast's Paleyfest appearance.

I knew that and totally forgot it!  Yes, there is a connection there.   Maybe, just maybe, it will happen in Season 2.  A girl can hope, after all...

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, gatopretoNYC said:

They should - mine does. Also CBS.com, and the CBS app.

They do! (Cablevision) Watching the pilot right now!

(later edit: almost finished ep 4)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, chaifan said:

 I wouldn't mind if he got a small window to see them and interact, just to see what they look like and it would make them bond even more.  But I love it just as it is.  Of course, what's the point of them falling through the floor if it isn't going to switch something up for Season 2, right?

...  if housewife ghost went to the edge of her property, and our ghosts were at the edge of their property, they could all interact, right?  That would be fun, and could be a new love interest for Pete, but as star-crossed lovers as they could never actually be together.   (Or maybe Thor & Flower's third.)  Unless Sam, Jay and the Farnsby's all agree to co-own part of the property.  Maybe a shared driveway or something...  OK, I'm getting ahead of myself now... 

1, I think them being aware they have a curse to deal with is a switch up on its own. Though, yes, I think there will be a bit of a bigger impact from that fall besides having to come up with the money to fix the giant hole in their entryway.  

2, I've wondered this too. If on their walks they might see and interact with the neighbour ghosts. However, I don't think Pete's the one that could end up having a star-crossed lovers thing, there have already been hints that Alberta thinks fondly of Pete. Perhaps Trevor should go hang out along the boundary... 

2 hours ago, Mezzaluna said:

OK, I'm one of people who hopes Jay gets to see the ghost because of falling through the floor and hitting his head. Otherwise I would guess that Utkarsh will get tired of just doing reaction shots while Rose gets all the good stuff.

I've got a bone to pick with the show runners. How is it that Thor - after many years of hearing English - still only has a two-year-old's grasp of the lingo? He refers to himself in the third person.   He's had a LOT of time to pick up more vocab and grammar.

And then there's Sasappis. He could be a college student from the 20th century. His speech is fairly impeccable and there's no discernible accent.

 

1, He gets pretty good stuff, it's just the opposite of Rose. While Jay can't see the ghosts, he's still in on the secret and talks to them, like with the neighbour ghost. Plus that hilarious scene of him trying to walk through Trevor. On the other side, Sam has to ignore and pretend she isn't seeing ghosts. 

2, I think this is more of an actor/character choice. Thor is a big sweet lug of a bear, but he's not the brightest. He's started to emotionally mature now, in part because of exposure to TV and Sam. His closest friendships have been shown to be with a squirrel and children that could see him (before and after Sasappis joined him). Even his attraction to Flower, fits with him being drawn towards more innocent/simple people.
Sasappis on the other hand, is both emotionally and generally intelligent. He has a vested interest in reading people and learning about them, both for his own entertainment, as well as telling stories about and to them. It's more surprising to me that he hasn't figured out the whole "sucking off or going down on" thing yet. 

---

I enjoyed this episode, though I couldn't help but notice an oddity or two. It was interesting that the beginning of the episode had Sam ignoring Nancy because Mark was around, and then ignoring the 50s housewife ghost because of the Farnsby's presence. I think it's possible there was another way the finale could have or was going to go. If I recall, it was this episode they were shooting when they had to shut down production for a bit because someone on set got Covid.
Also, Jay's line of relief that Sam would still be able to see ghosts came off as a bit sarcastic, to the point that I rewatched that part a couple times. It's edited to make it seem sincere after all, but there's still a bit of an eye-roll at the end of the line. 

Regarding the 50s housewife ghost.. I'm a bit surprised, but maybe also not that no one's mentioned the Reagan joke. I did have to pause to think about her question (I'm mid 30s and Canadian, it took a second!), but it still made me huff a "Ha!" when I got it though.

Edited by Check Sanity · Reason: typos
  • Love 6
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, Check Sanity said:

2, I think this is more of an actor/character choice. Thor is a big sweet lug of a bear, but he's not the brightest. He's started to emotionally mature now, in part because of exposure to TV and Sam. His closest friendships have been shown to be with a squirrel and children that could see him (before and after Sasappis joined him). Even his attraction to Flower, fits with him being drawn towards more innocent/simple people.
Sasappis on the other hand, is both emotionally and generally intelligent. He has a vested interest in reading people and learning about them, both for his own entertainment, as well as telling stories about and to them. It's more surprising to me that he hasn't figured out the whole "sucking off or going down on" thing yet.

This is my theory about why Thor and Sasappis talk the way they do, too :). That, and alongside Thor's more simple connection, he also tends to be a man of few words as it is. He's the big, tough-looking, gruff guy, and he either likes or feels he needs to keep up that persona when possible. When he speaks, though, it's because he has something important/sincere to say, and it's in those moments when we get to see his softer side come through. 

Quote

Regarding the 50s housewife ghost.. I'm a bit surprised, but maybe also not that no one's mentioned the Reagan joke, I did have to pause to think about her question (I'm in my 30s and Canadian, it took a second!), still made me huff a "Ha!" when I got it though.

Yes! I meant to comment on that - I liked that little aside, too :p. That ties in nicely with the recent discussion in the Alexa episode about how entertaining/interesting it will be for the ghosts to continue to learn about what happened to and with notable historical people/events from their respective time periods after they themselves died. 

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

This is going to sound weird, but the 50s housewife ghost reminded me of the character in Disney's Smart House.

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This is my theory about why Thor and Sasappis talk the way they do, too :). That, and alongside Thor's more simple connection, he also tends to be a man of few words as it is. He's the big, tough-looking, gruff guy, and he either likes or feels he needs to keep up that persona when possible. When he speaks, though, it's because he has something important/sincere to say, and it's in those moments when we get to see his softer side come through. 

Yes! I meant to comment on that - I liked that little aside, too :p. That ties in nicely with the recent discussion in the Alexa episode about how entertaining/interesting it will be for the ghosts to continue to learn about what happened to and with notable historical people/events from their respective time periods after they themselves died. 

Ah! Yes. Important things like "Landship! Landship!!" :P Heh. But yeah, I really love those marshmallowy soft moments from Thor. I would be remiss to not admit that Thor is a good listener, like he said to Alberta "You talk. I listen." He's very much invested in people or things he cares about. He's shut down certain things out of disinterest a few times over the season (the B&B, therapy, etc.). If no one pushed him before, it makes sense he hasn't taken bigger strides until recently.

Also, yes! It was fun to finally see Isaac's response to Hamilton. Of course he was more sullen about a whole musical, and such a great one at that, being dedicated to his nemesis would eclipse his reaction to the details of Hamiltons death. I found it greatly amusing that Hetty enjoyed hip hop and rap as much as she did. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Check Sanity said:

I would be remiss to not admit that Thor is a good listener, like he said to Alberta "You talk. I listen." 

That's still one of my favorite Thor moments :). 

Quote

Also, yes! It was fun to finally see Isaac's response to Hamilton. Of course he was more sullen about a whole musical, and such a great one at that, being dedicated to his nemesis would eclipse his reaction to the details of Hamiltons death. I found it greatly amusing that Hetty enjoyed hip hop and rap as much as she did. 

I love that Hetty quoting from the musical was what inadvertently pushed him to finally tell Nigel how he feels about him :D. In a way, Isaac has that musical to thank for encouraging him to take that next step, which makes his disdain around it that much funnier. 

And yes, Hetty being so into the musical was fantastic. I'm probably one of very few people left on Earth who hasn't seen Hamilton yet, but I've been curious to check it out - this episode just gave me further push to do so. May have to do a subscription to Disney+ at some point soon here so I can watch it :). 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

Yep. I need to watch Hamilton. I may be one of the last to have not seen it. Although, I just heard "We Can't talk about Bruno" for the first time this morning....so...where was I?

Great episode and I LOVE that Mark Linn Baker is playing a nemisis character. It's just perfect for him.

One of the great things is the growth of Jay throughout this season...For a few episodes, Pete was "arrow guy" but now Jay calls Pete out by name....

Isaac getting his moment and all the ghosts being happy for him was sweet too...

I can't believe this season is over now. What will I do??????

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I thought for sure the painting of an upside pineapple in the foyer at the Farnsby house was going to come into play. Maybe it will in the future. (I learned very recently that apparently an upside pineapple is some sort of signal swingers use to identify each other).

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 3
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

23 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Although, I just heard "We Can't talk about Bruno" for the first time this morning....so...where was I?

I still have yet to hear that song, so you're ahead of me on that score :D. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, redpencil said:

I thought for sure the painting of an upside pineapple in the foyer at the Farnsby house was going to come into play. Maybe it will in the future. (I learned very recently that apparently an upside pineapple is some sort of signal swingers use to identify each other).

I had no idea that an upside-down pineapple was a swinger signal. A right side up pineapple is a non-swinger symbol of hospitality.

When I saw the upside down pineapple in the Farnsby place, I thought it was a joke about how unhospitable their B&B was.

But it could be interesting if their reason for not wanting the B&B next door is that they treasure their privacy and don't want more people around who might notice they actually have a swinging lifestyle.

I felt bad for their ghost. Can you imagine being trapped in a house forever with no one to talk to, and then someone shows up who can talk to you but pretends they can't? 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Yep. I need to watch Hamilton. I may be one of the last to have not seen it. Although, I just heard "We Can't talk about Bruno" for the first time this morning....so...where was I?

 

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I still have yet to hear that song, so you're ahead of me on that score :D. 

I finally saw Encanto about three and a half weeks ago, and that song had just dislodged itself from my brain. So, y'know, thanks for that....

I love the running gag of one-off ghosts from different eras turning up whenever Sam goes to a different location, but I hope the 50s housewife from the Farnsbys shows up again. Feels like they barely scratched the surface on her.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Wait, what? Was there a flashback of Other Ivar? Did I miss this or was it cut?

Nope, there was no Gunnar, Ivar or Other Ivar. Between this and the ghost at the Farnsbys that was never addressed, I wonder if this was filmed as a potential series finale in case the show would not get renewed? The scene where the ghosts are thanking Sam for everything certainly could be used that way. Then, of course, the show did get renewed and they had to recut it into a standard-length episode and use a different ending.

 

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Great finale for a great show!

I love how this show can throw something in there that just makes me burst out laughing and this week was Thorfinn mocking Jay's skinny forearms.

Honestly I would be fine if the B & B never opened. Having guest stars of the week might throw the balance off from the great cast and you know inevitable a guest will come that can see the ghosts and stir up trouble.

Had a feeling Nigel wasn't really gone...I didn't think they would do that to Issac.

The only thing I didn't like was Sam seemed rude to the ghost at the Farnsby & B.  There was no reason she couldn't answer the Ronald Regan question. And for all those who were perplexed she didn't play a role in thwarting the evil neighbors....she's Checkov's Ghost. She didn't appear randomly....they are setting up SOMETHING for that character for next season even if its just a one off episode. I've noticed this show "Plants seeds" for later things like early on at the Viking funeral where Flower reveals her feelings....that plot was left idol for may episodes but when it was addressed it was addressed in full bloom.

Love the summertime but I'm already wishing for fall for new episodes. 18 was not enough!

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, North of Eden said:

Great finale for a great show!

I love how this show can throw something in there that just makes me burst out laughing and this week was Thorfinn mocking Jay's skinny forearms.

Honestly I would be fine if the B & B never opened. Having guest stars of the week might throw the balance off from the great cast and you know inevitable a guest will come that can see the ghosts and stir up trouble.

Had a feeling Nigel wasn't really gone...I didn't think they would do that to Issac.

The only thing I didn't like was Sam seemed rude to the ghost at the Farnsby & B.  There was no reason she couldn't answer the Ronald Regan question. And for all those who were perplexed she didn't play a role in thwarting the evil neighbors....she's Checkov's Ghost. She didn't appear randomly....they are setting up SOMETHING for that character for next season even if its just a one off episode. I've noticed this show "Plants seeds" for later things like early on at the Viking funeral where Flower reveals her feelings....that plot was left idol for may episodes but when it was addressed it was addressed in full bloom.

Love the summertime but I'm already wishing for fall for new episodes. 18 was not enough!

Sam couldn't talk to the ghost in front of the Farnsbys. They would have thought she was crazy and used it against her and Jay. The ghost would be perfect for Pete he acts older than he is.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/22/2022 at 1:29 AM, kathyk24 said:

I think it would be fun if they both could see the ghosts. It would make the show like a modern Bewitched.

I just noticed in this episode that at the end of the opening scene, as the Farnsby's leave after declaring war on Jay & Sam's B&B, that Jay yells, "SAM!" just like Darren used to do.

And Jay frequently calls Sam "Babe" in the same way Darren would call Samantha "Hon."

 

23 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Sam couldn't talk to the ghost in front of the Farnsbys. They would have thought she was crazy and used it against her and Jay. The ghost would be perfect for Pete he acts older than he is.

Since the Farnsby's ghost only appears for a gag at the end of the season, she might be a one-off, but I don't think so. Her presence establishes that there are Ghosts Next Door.

  • Maybe she has information to help solve Alberta's murder--perhaps the Farnsbys have an attic with old records and papers that she knows about/has read. 
  • Maybe she's a murdered Farnsby!
  • Or, at least, she may have knowledge of (less literal) skeletons in the Farnsbys' closet that Jay and Sam could use as blackmail, if necessary. 
  • Did she die at the right age to now be a soulmate for Trevor?
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Sam couldn't talk to the ghost in front of the Farnsbys. They would have thought she was crazy and used it against her and Jay. The ghost would be perfect for Pete he acts older than he is.

I'm pretty sure she asked the question after the Farnsbys went to see to their guests leaving them alone with her.

I do like your idea about Pete...maybe they could have a romance across a stonewall at the property line.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

OK, I'm one of people who hopes Jay gets to see the ghost because of falling through the floor and hitting his head. Otherwise I would guess that Utkarsh will get tired of just doing reaction shots while Rose gets all the good stuff.

I think Utkarsh gets a lot of good material and he's arguably got the toughest job, pretending he can't see the ghosts. It must be hard for him to think of what to do while Sam is talking to the ghosts and he's just standing there. I noticed in one scene he was scrolling through his phone while she was having a discussion with them.

Quote

I just noticed in this episode that at the end of the opening scene, as the Farnsby's leave after declaring war on Jay & Sam's B&B, that Jay yells, "SAM!" just like Darren used to do.

Yeah and I don't mean to demean or infantilize Jay but he has a childlike quality to him that's kind of adorable. There was a scene in the prom episode where Sam tells him "Pete's here" and Jay goes "Hey, Pete!" Then Sam goes "He's gone" and Jay goes "Awwm, man!" Just little moments like that make the character so endearing. I stand by my conviction it would ruin a lot of the charm of the show if Jay could see the ghosts too. 

Quote

Had a feeling Nigel wasn't really gone...I didn't think they would do that to Issac.

Why did Nigel think Isaac was fooling around with Thor anyway? Did that other soldier make that up? LOL on Thor being Isaac's "floozy."

Quote

And then there's Sasappis. He could be a college student from the 20th century. His speech is fairly impeccable and there's no discernible accent.

This has been discussed throughout the season. With the exception of Sass (and Pete) every ghost is a stereotype of a certain era, complete with appropriate dialect and accent. The logical conclusion is that the show is afraid of offending Native Americans by portraying Sasappis in a stereotypical way like they used to do on old Westerns. There's lots of ways to rationalize this creatively but that's really the bottom line. There is currently no stigma surrounding Viking, Victorian, Revolutionary, Jazz Age or Hippie representation.

  • Love 12

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Mezzaluna said:

OK, I'm one of people who hopes Jay gets to see the ghost because of falling through the floor and hitting his head. Otherwise I would guess that Utkarsh will get tired of just doing reaction shots while Rose gets all the good stuff.

I’ll throw in with the unpopular opinions and say that I hope that Jay can communicate with the ghosts next season too. I’ve felt bad for him all season standing off to the side staring into the distance while Sam has conversations with the ghosts. Even if he can only hear but not see them, it’d be an interesting new dynamic.

18 hours ago, Mezzaluna said:

And then there's Sasappis. He could be a college student from the 20th century. His speech is fairly impeccable and there's no discernible accent.

Aside from @iMonrey point that the writers don’t want to offend Native Americans, what do you think a 16th century Native American accent should sound like? It’s easier to develop the character as someone who’d keep up with the changes in language and sound modern. Now I’m hoping at some point next season we hear Sass has started picking up slang from the shows he’s been watching.

Really glad the commentors on Abbot Elementary recommended this show as another great first season comedy. I wouldn’t have checked it out otherwise. It’s been a great first season and I can’t wait for the fall.

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, BaggythePanther said:

Aside from @iMonrey point that the writers don’t want to offend Native Americans, what do you think a 16th century Native American accent should sound like? It’s easier to develop the character as someone who’d keep up with the changes in language and sound modern. Now I’m hoping at some point next season we hear Sass has started picking up slang from the shows he’s been watching.

Some people are just better with languages. I also think that the younger you are when you learn your second language the better you are at becoming fluent. I am sure that Sassapis was multilingual. I am not sure that Thor was. I don’t expect Thor to speak like a local. 
 

We also have seen Sass use modern lingo. Remember when they were discussing the chambermaid? Sass described her to Trevor as “so hot.” He picks up slang. 
 

I love him. Robin from UK Ghosts is appealing but Sass is a treasure.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, KarenX said:

Some people are just better with languages.

So true.  
And Sass was a gifted storyteller/communicator who was the son of other storytellers. So it makes sense that he’d be good with languages  
—all of which supports the choice to make him speak in Standard English, even if that choice came from a place of just wanting to be respectful and inoffensive.

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, North of Eden said:

I'm pretty sure she asked the question after the Farnsbys went to see to their guests leaving them alone with her.

I do like your idea about Pete...maybe they could have a romance across a stonewall at the property line.

Sam didn't know how long the Farnsbys would be upstairs she couldn't risk talking to someone they didn't see.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2022 at 8:07 PM, redpencil said:

I learned very recently that apparently an upside pineapple is some sort of signal swingers use to identify each other

 

On 4/22/2022 at 8:43 PM, possibilities said:

I had no idea that an upside-down pineapple was a swinger signal. A right side up pineapple is a non-swinger symbol of hospitality.

According to the radio program I listen to, putting a pineapple (not necessarily upside down) in the child-seat part of your grocery cart means you're in the store to find someone to go home with. 

I've been very careful about where I place my pineapples since hearing this. 

  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2022 at 9:02 PM, 4merBachAddict said:

I still crack up when the ghosts use the term "sucked off'! I guess it's because they use it so clueless & innocently!!!

I am a little surprised that Pete and Flower don't know what it means.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, Twilight Man said:

I also thought that somehow the female ghost at the Farnsby's was going to

help Sam and Jay by relaying gossip to Sam about what Henry and Magaret do

(hint - it involves bedtime and leather) and that was how they were going to save the B & B.

I thought the reason Sam challenged the Farnsbys to a pickle ball duel was because she thought they would play on the Farnsbys' home court and she could somehow use the '50s housewife ghost to run some kind of interference to help Sam and Jay win. It seemed pretty obvious that the ghost didn't like the Farnsbys.

When the Farnsbys said they had to go to the other court to play, I expected Sam to panic because she no longer had an ally and an edge in the game.

Then again, it is a little hard to believe that no one had ever died playing on the other pickle ball court. It looked as though there were some inherent dangers with playing the game. I wonder why there weren't other ghosts there.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

According to the radio program I listen to, putting a pineapple (not necessarily upside down) in the child-seat part of your grocery cart means you're in the store to find someone to go home with. 

Oh dear.  The produce department is my first stop at the grocery store, and I usually load up the front basket/child's seat with fruits and veggies so they don't roll around in the bigger cart area.

Thankfully I rarely buy pineapple!

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Oh dear.  The produce department is my first stop at the grocery store, and I usually load up the front basket/child's seat with fruits and veggies so they don't roll around in the bigger cart area.

I always put my produce in the front! (Though I've never bought a whole pineapple; I also try to use the small double-decker carts, so there is usually no child seat, anyway.)

8 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Then again, it is a little hard to believe that no one had ever died playing on the other pickle ball court. It looked as though there were some inherent dangers with playing the game. I wonder why there weren't other ghosts there.

Country clubs usually have a lot of older members (they're usually the ones with the money); someone must have had a heart attack there at some point.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Quote

And Sass was a gifted storyteller/communicator who was the son of other storytellers. So it makes sense that he’d be good with languages  
—all of which supports the choice to make him speak in Standard English, even if that choice came from a place of just wanting to be respectful and inoffensive.

It only makes sense if Thor and Hetty speak modern English too. It doesn't seem like the ghosts even had a TV set before Jay and Sam moved in. Trapped on the Woodstone property would have given Sass very little opportunity to learn and perfect his English. I mean, you can hand-wave this any way you want, but the reality is nobody is worried about offending Vikings or Victorian-era women because those people don't exist anymore. 

In the pilot, Sasappis's first line is spoken in a way that's more suggestive of "Tonto-speak," until Jay walks through him, and then he starts speaking modern English. It's sort of a joke I guess - making us think he was going to talk the way you traditionally expect to hear Native Americans speak and then dropping it immediately.

(BTW - I strongly urge everyone to go back and watch the pilot. Sasappis has a different costume in the first episode - it's an off-the-shoulder number. This was also the only episode where we see Crash with his head on. I wonder if they lost the actor after the pilot was filmed.)

  • Love 1
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It doesn't seem like the ghosts even had a TV set before Jay and Sam moved in. Trapped on the Woodstone property would have given Sass very little opportunity to learn and perfect his English.

I don’t know if that is true. The house was only recently desolate; Alberta was partying there. Over time there has been lots of opportunity to observe/watch (like TV). Flower and Pete and Trevor are all opportunities to actively practice modern English, too. 

I’m sticking with “Sas has a natural affinity for languages and was probably a multilingual child. So, he can pick up accents seamlessly.” Hetty and Isaac probably knew French but if they didn’t speak it regularly… that’s why those two middle-agers haven’t caught up.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

Taking my comment on English-speaking ability to the Incongruities thread: 

 

 

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, eel21788 said:

 

According to the radio program I listen to, putting a pineapple (not necessarily upside down) in the child-seat part of your grocery cart means you're in the store to find someone to go home with. 

I've been very careful about where I place my pineapples since hearing this. 

Between this and Real Housewives of New Jersey (for they few who watch both), I feel a need to steer clear of pineapples for the time being.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

PLEASE let Jay be able to see the ghosts next season! He needs to be let in on the action and he and Pete need to be able to hang out so they can be real besties!

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/21/2022 at 9:33 PM, Starchild said:

Jay was moving, so not dead.

Isaac's face when he thought Nigel was gone. There were literally tears in his eyes. Oh Isaac, my heart. So glad he's getting another chance. 

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/22/2022 at 4:43 PM, HurricaneVal said:

The Farnsby's not wanting the disturbance in the neighborhood that they think Sam and Jay's B&B will bring, and combating that by opening their own competing B&B and thus siphoning guests away Sam and Jay's business.....makes no sense.  That just moves the disturbance and interrupted routines closer to them rather than just experiencing them on the periphery.  Also?  How did they poach the first customers?  How could they possibly have found out who they were in order to entice them away?  Facebook?

Acquiring the same customers doesn't worry me. They could have seen the new listing and made a last minute change.

What IS hard to believe is how fast it happened. Jay said they were coming in a few days. Somehow, virtually (perhaps even literally) overnight, the Farnsby's had a new business license, passed all the required inspections, and had advertising up and running to get customers. Now how did that happen so fast?

  • Love 5
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Starchild said:

What IS hard to believe is how fast it happened. Jay said they were coming in a few days. Somehow, virtually (perhaps even literally) overnight, the Farnsby's had a new business license, passed all the required inspections, and had advertising up and running to get customers. Now how did that happen so fast?

Comedic poetic license?

  • Love 7
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Comedic poetic license?

When I was a kid I asked my mom about something on TV and she said it was poetic license. I thought htat was actually a license that you had to get.

  • Laugh 19

Share this post


Link to post

Sam and Jay really need to learn the concept of non-refundable deposits!

  • Love 13

Share this post


Link to post

Don't the Farnsbys run the board that gives licenses? I assume they either didn't have a license or they granted themselves one. But poetic license also works!

  • Love 8
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2022 at 12:58 AM, eel21788 said:

I am a little surprised that Pete and Flower don't know what it means.

I think all of the characters except Thorfin and Sassapis could have potentially been exposed to the idiom when living. It's not as if sex and the slang pertaining to it was invented in the 1990s. Alberta not having heard EVERY possible variation while working as a musician in 1920s speakeasies is the most unbelievable aspect to me.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have learned so much about produce-related social behaviors in this thread, lol. 

I really loved this episode. It actually hurt (I know it wasn't going to happen, but still!) to think about Sam losing the ability to communicate with the ghosts. They're all a family now.

And I have to chime in that I really want Jay to be able to see the ghosts as well - as the show starts getting busier, with (hopefully) B&B guests arriving (once the floor is fixed, at least) I think the flow may work better for Jay to be able to communicate with them too.

It would be a lot for Sam to have to interact with the ghosts, and the guests, and also be having to keep Jay in the loop as to what's going on.  And maybe I just want Pete and Jay to officially meet, ha.

Isaac and Nigel are so sweet.

I'm going to enjoy rewatching S1. 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

I think it would be hilarious if something were to happen to Jay--similar to Hetty's possession--where he could interact in a limited way with just one of the ghosts.  That ghost would then have to serve as the go-between for the entire ghost world and Jay, similar to how Alberta is their bridge to Alexa.  It would be really funny if that ghost were Sass, because the eye-rolling would be epic.  Pete would be so sad and jealous!  We could have an episode where a disastrous series of events behind the scenes is causing chaos in the house, while the B&B guests remain unaware, that has Sam and Jay and the ghosts all running around.  The laid-back and unflappable Sass has to scramble to stay on top of things to help and he finds himself flustered for once. 

  • Love 4
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2022 at 2:58 AM, eel21788 said:

I am a little surprised that Pete and Flower don't know what it means.

Pete's probably too polite to say anything, and it probably never really registered with Flower. And if it did make it through the haze, her reaction was probably a lot like Trevor's.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/24/2022 at 1:58 AM, eel21788 said:

I am a little surprised that Pete and Flower don't know what it means.

 

3 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Pete's probably too polite to say anything, and it probably never really registered with Flower. And if it did make it through the haze, her reaction was probably a lot like Trevor's.

Yeah, Pete's such a straight-arrow guy, he really may not have heard of it.  (Sorry, I'll show myself out.)

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I don’t know if that is true. The house was only recently desolate; Alberta was partying there. Over time there has been lots of opportunity to observe/watch (like TV). Flower and Pete and Trevor are all opportunities to actively practice modern English, too. 

Thor had never seen a TV before in the pilot episode. He thought it was a wonderful magic window. I don't know why previous owners wouldn't have owned a TV but apparently they didn't.

Quote

I think all of the characters except Thorfin and Sassapis could have potentially been exposed to the idiom when living. It's not as if sex and the slang pertaining to it was invented in the 1990s. Alberta not having heard EVERY possible variation while working as a musician in 1920s speakeasies is the most unbelievable aspect to me.

Yeah - oral sex wasn't invented in the 20th century, it's hard to believe nobody but Trevor gets what "sucked off" implies. 

Still funny, though.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah - oral sex wasn't invented in the 20th century, it's hard to believe nobody but Trevor gets what "sucked off" implies. 

I tried to find when the term came into use but I didn't find anything and, well, I didn't want to google too much...

  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/22/2022 at 9:49 PM, Annber03 said:

I'm probably one of very few people left on Earth who hasn't seen Hamilton yet, but I've been curious to check it out - this episode just gave me further push to do so.

I thought I was the only one who hasn't seen Hamilton.  And never will because I don't like rap & hip hop and have no interest in it.

47 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah - oral sex wasn't invented in the 20th century, it's hard to believe nobody but Trevor gets what "sucked off" implies. 

Oral sex existed before the late 20th century, but the phrase "sucked off" could easily be much more modern.

  • Love 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought I was the only one who hasn't seen Hamilton.  And never will because I don't like rap & hip hop and have no interest in it.

I only saw Hamilton because my parents got a year of free Disney+ with their cable or something. They asked if I wanted to come watch it with them so I figured what the hell. I'm not big on rap/hip hop either but I did enjoy it. I wouldn't rule out watching it again but not if I have to pay for it. It's useful for getting the jokes in stuff like this, though.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size