Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Lesson Learned

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

Is Sophie done with the tour? What’s Delilah doing whole Sophie is stuck having to pack up and sell a large house all by herself? 

Sophie seems done with the tour.  She high-tailed it back when she found out Gary might have a cancer recurrence, and now she's doing nothing with her life except packing up her mother's life while Delilah eats croissants and yells at people in French to do things for her useless ass.

Way to destroy your life, Sophie!  You could have been in music school while packing up the house, and at least have a future to look forward to.  Now?  You have a high school degree, no job, no friends, no family, no plans, no music, and no nothing.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, OpalNightstream said:

i was hoping the cops would tell the food truck that they couldn’t just park wherever and set up shop the way they did. 

I don't know the rules in every city/state, but they do this all the time on The Great Food Truck Race 😁

15 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I would be more upset if Gina and her partner didn't get whatever they need to run their food truck in the future but this was kind of an opportunity thing they were going to take a bath on that food and they saw an opportunity not to.  Now next week when they haven't done their paperwork that is a different thing but for today an opportunity not to lose a bunch of money came up and they took it.

This is what my brain is explaining to me. If it comes in the future that they didn't look into how to get permits or anything, my brain is going to be none too happy.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, izabella said:

Sophie seems done with the tour.  She high-tailed it back when she found out Gary might have a cancer recurrence, and now she's doing nothing with her life except packing up her mother's life while Delilah eats croissants and yells at people in French to do things for her useless ass.

Way to destroy your life, Sophie!  You could have been in music school while packing up the house, and at least have a future to look forward to.  Now?  You have a high school degree, no job, no friends, no family, no plans, no music, and no nothing.

Wherever they were performing that night was close enough for MIlo and Danny to drive (I so almost typed Milo and Otis) so she wasn't terribly far from home.  Tours have nights off.  We know she was home that particular set of days doing house things but she might be hooking back up with the tour a day or two later in their next city.  We don't know she left the tour.  I mean I also would have suggested she go to music school and do the touring thing during her summer breaks,, but her not being on tour during an episode that lasts 2 days isn't really indicitie of anything. 

or TLDR: Sophie's on tour the way Gary's an accountant (actuarial?).  She's on tour she's just not ON tour ever when we see her. 

Cancer treatment is weird.  Not all cancer treatment is the same and not all doctors are same but you see your oncologist a lot.  Once a week.  And then once every three months and then once every six months.  And they talk to you about your life and your goals because cancer treatment is going to impact your quality of life and the side effects of cancer treatment can well impact the quality of life for a long time so knowing what you need to have to have a quality of life is a conversation. 

My mom had lots of doctors around the hospital and everytime she'd be asked "oh whose your doctor," she'd start listing them and everybody would perk up and go "Oh Dr. W he's the best.  Dr C he's the best... he has an identical twin brother...  Oh Dr S he's the best and he has a really unusual CV" (queue me googling his CV... he was also an astronaut).  And my mom's surgical oncologist... "Oh...."  And once, "Oh... she's really cold."   And that's true.  I found her really off putting when I first met her.  I found her WILDLY off putting the first time I saw her after my mom's big surgery. 

But my mom broke her hip during daily radiation.  She couldn't miss radiation so she had her hip pinned and then when to in hopsital rehab at a world class cancer center.   A year later when that pinned hip failed her orthopedic surgeon (the astronaut) was at the cancer center so she had her hip replaced at the cancer center.  While I was in the waiting room during that surgery (Just me, not every single person I had ever met ever) I felt a tap on my shoulder and was startled.  I looked up to find my mom's surgical oncologist.  She'd seen my mom's name on the board and went in to see what was up.  Then she came to find me in the waiting room to give me an update on the operation.   This incredibly cold person.   Another time my mom had a bunch of stuff pop up on her pet scan and the same doctor set her up for a bunch of referals but with the caveat that LOADS of things pop up on pet scans and you need to have them checked out but not to wig because that's just how pet scans work.  Everything was fine but we met 3 new "Oh he's the best doctors" in the meantime.   The 3rd doctor being a doctor who was so handsome I swear to god when he walked into the room my firs thought was, "Somebody should warn you."  next time we saw the surgical oncologist she walked into the room she was like, "Dr C. did you like him?   I thought you in particular would like him" to me.  "He's really hot.  I mean Dr W is nice looking and funny but Dr C....   I'm looking after you."   It was so funny.  By the time my mom had her last appointment with the famously cold doctor (Before being moved into survivorship) the doctor was heavily pregnant with her 2nd child and she and my mom had a discussion about raising girls as working mothers and it was a genuinely lovely moment.   

I mean I can't really see her shipping my mom and some other patient but you develop a rapport with doctors you see a lot.  Or maybe my mom and I are awesome.  Hmmm.    And honestly, if I was dating another patient, she might have shipped that.  :). 

10 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Rome gets a job offer based on zero credentials and without getting vetted by a ruling board. Still don’t know how Gary makes any money. 

On 4/21/2022 at 1:25 PM, izabella said:

This.  This is a guy [Gary] who wants to have a child and be a parent and teach him how to be a person.  Please.  Will Gary teach his kid to beat up other kids to solve his problems?  Yes, yes he will.

It's hard to tell if Gary even has a job these days.  He's the only series regular who doesn't even mention work. Everything always turns up roses for our crew, however. Rome goes to his Alma mater with the intention of torching his former Dean and ends up getting a gig instead. Although he does seem to be one of the few leads who understands that his actions have consequences. When his old friend informed him that the Dean had abruptly resigned, it was clear that Rome wondered/worried if their conversation had anything to do with it.

Also,  the concept of Gary as a Father is terrifying. Yes, he is incredible with kids (mostly because he is one) but he sets such a piss-poor example of how to be a decent human being that it's pretty much a wash.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, izabella said:

But her friends are her dead father and cheating mother's friend group of older adults, and her family is in France, so there is that.  😃  Maybe Sophie can get a job as a cruise lounge singer and sail to France for a family visit.

Who wants to bet that Peter being dead now dredges up another flurry of angst and Sophie finds a way to blame him for her stupid school dropout choice.

• Love 5

Aside from the fact that Regina and the other woman needed permits to sell food from the food truck they also needed containers in which to place the food. 

I had the sound on quite low but it sounded to me that Colin Hay's accent was Scottish. Wiki tells me that the family moved from Scotland to Australia when Colin was 14; I find it odd that he retained his accent at such a, relatively, young age.

Anna is most definitely an alcoholic (we did hear bottles clinking when she placed the garbage bag in the bin). Again, I find it odd that Eddie, a recovering alcoholic, hasn't picked up a few signs.

I'm so sad that Danny is leaving.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, christie said:

Aside from the fact that Regina and the other woman needed permits to sell food from the food truck they also needed containers in which to place the food. 

I had the sound on quite low but it sounded to me that Colin Hay's accent was Scottish. Wiki tells me that the family moved from Scotland to Australia when Colin was 14; I find it odd that he retained his accent at such a, relatively, young age.

Anna is most definitely an alcoholic (we did hear bottles clinking when she placed the garbage bag in the bin). Again, I find it odd that Eddie, a recovering alcoholic, hasn't picked up a few signs.

I guess Regina and whatshername stopped by a restaurant supplies store or big box store to purchase containers before they illegally set up shop, albeit unwittingly, to store the food before they just happened to be approached by a hungry passerby asking if they were open for business.

I can buy Colin Hays retaining his Scottish accent.  People retain their native accents from around 10-12 when it can become permanent.

Eddie probably should've questioned Anna's drinking at the game night party.  I agree that most alcoholics are said to be able to spot each other quickly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So far, it's unanimous on this board that Anna didn't do that. I second the idea that she was blackout drunk, so doesn't know whether she did it, and that Eddie breaks up with her because of this (orrrr he'll take her to meetings, and then become her sponsor even though alcoholics aren't supposed to date in the first year sober).

Kudos to whoever above questioned what Gina served her food on out of the truck.

I was surprised that Eddie called France when it was nighttime in Boston, because then what time was it in France???

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

I was surprised that Eddie called France when it was nighttime in Boston, because then what time was it in France???

I guess it is a 5-6 hour difference. So middle of the night in France, unless Eddie was calling at midnight or later 

But then again, time in this show is just an illusion - which is the basically the one thing that the show gets right - time IS an illusion - but the show manages to get things right in a very wrong context.

I can't stand Irish and Scottish accent. Apologies to any Scotts and Irish here but it hurts my ears. Never heard of Colin whoever either.

My dance teacher from my school age years was British. She would go back once a year to “recharge” her accent (living in Texas can really mess with it), so that could be what Colin does. (Wait, it would be cool if Colin the dog was named after Colin Hay.) I know Colin from Men at Work as well as his occasional appearance on Scrubs. 

• Love 3
On 4/21/2022 at 12:47 PM, tennisgurl said:

. Of course, because these people fail up like no ones business, they manage to become a famous food truck instantly, despite asking for quite a steep price for their food. 

I went to a spring festival over the weekend, and after seeing a food truck charge $7 for a small helping of tater tots, I think Gina’s $8 seafood croquettes were a bargain!

Second writing inconsistency in as many episodes: First, Gary’s doctor says “not cancer,” then famous psychologist/cancer survivor says margins were clear. Huh? Then, Maggie’s doctor says she has several years to have a baby, then she and childish man who should NOT be a father are paying for fertility treatments. Things that make you say “Wut?”

Edited by TivoFan
To correct a weird autocorrect
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, christie said:

I

I still have a problem with why they had the food truck window open since they were only using it to transport the food.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I still have a problem with why they had the food truck window open since they were only using it to transport the food.

Maybe it was hot outside? (Didn't look like it though -- weren't Regina and What's-her-Name wearing coats?

17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I can buy Colin Hays retaining his Scottish accent.  People retain their native accents from around 10-12 when it can become permanent.

Yeah, I usually don't worry too much about accents.   I have friends who have kept their Scottish accent for 40 years (but they emigrated as a married couple and I suspect that having each other to talk to helps reinforce their natural accent) and another friend who emigrated from Scotland in her 30s and within 5 years you wouldn't know she wasn't borne and raised in the deep south.   She gets so much grief when she visits home now although I suspect if she moved back to Scotland she'd pick her original accent back up pretty quickly.   

30 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

Maybe it was hot outside? (Didn't look like it though -- weren't Regina and What's-her-Name wearing coats?

I suspect they opened up the serving window for the light as they were packing things away and getting them stored.  

• Love 2

Private schools do not require teaching certificates.  (Here's a sample search firm that recruits college seniors to teach in private school settings: https://www.carneysandoe.com/find-a-job/college-students )  Since Rome was only being asked to teach one class, the Dean probably has permission to hire him. If Rome wants a permanent, full-time teaching assignment, then he'll probably have to go through a more extensive hiring and vetting process.  So, for once, one minute of this show didn't create its own unique reality... 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

But wouldn’t there be some kind of board or committee to vote on the decisions of, first, to replace the Dean and, two, to hire Rome, even temporarily?  I went to one of those fancy private schools and my dad’s been in academia my entire life, and the idea that a major hiring decision could be made without any checks and balances seems ridiculous to me.

Burdening her children with the job of SELLING THE HOUSE THEY GREW UP IN (not to mention uprooting them to France) makes Delilah seem like an absolute jerk who does whatever she wants, consequences be damned.  Does Sophie even have the legal authority to show and/or sell the house?  Can someone make this plotline make sense for me?

Retroactively, Cam looks like even more of a Prince, as he was an outside love interest who didn’t turn out to be a murderer and/or alcoholic or a ticking bipolar time bomb waiting to happen.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, smartymarty said:

One more complaint: Who films their kid finding out whether they got into a college?? Way to put the pressure on and amplify the disappointment, Rome.

Rome's reasoning was not exactly horrible. He said he was filming the acceptance to send to Tyrell's mother, who obviously couldn't share in him opening the letter.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, historylover820 said:

Rome's reasoning was not exactly horrible. He said he was filming the acceptance to send to Tyrell's mother, who obviously couldn't share in him opening the letter.

But the risk/reward tilts toward not doing it. Not important enough for Tyrelle's mother to see his instant reaction.

• Love 2
On 4/24/2022 at 10:16 PM, christie said:

I find it odd that, Anna, a full blown alcoholic who is trying to hide it; would get involved with a fairly newly sober guy in the first place.  Seems like being with Eddie would harsh her vibe somewhat.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, smartymarty said:

One more complaint: Who films their kid finding out whether they got into a college?? Way to put the pressure on and amplify the disappointment, Rome.

I didn't need my Blue Crystal Ball to predict that, as soon as Rome started filming, the letter from USC (the first letter he got via email) would be a rejection.

1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

I find it odd that, Anna, a full blown alcoholic who is trying to hide it; would get involved with a fairly newly sober guy in the first place.  Seems like being with Eddie would harsh her vibe somewhat.

Anna is probably in denial that she is anywhere near being an alcoholic, and the first thing alcoholics learn to do is hide their drinking from others.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, smartymarty said:

I work (sort of) in college admissions. This is absolutely a thing. If you look on social media, you'll see these all over the place. Often schools will ask admitted students to send their videos and then do compilations and such.

Why would Anna see a woman she knows at a public place like a restaurant and ask her what are you doing here?  She said it like the woman was banded from the place.  Odd. Lol People show up in public places all the time.  

Ref. Gina not having the right food for her client….omg, does she not know you need a written contract that specifies the order, terms, deposit, price, etc,? A quick review as you order the ingredients would ensure you get it right.  She really does need to find someone to tell her how to run a business.   Even a novice would know that.  Is she doing catering for meals and parties or a crab cake stand? And, Gina, your customer isn’t awful for expecting to get the food she requested.  🤨 I hope she’s found her niche, but she still needs to learn the business.  

Obviously, Maggie and Gary don’t realize how annoying they are and how them procreating is nauseating. 😝 They both have some maturing to do.  

Greta’s hairstyle reminds of the band members in The Go Goes!  😆

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 4/21/2022 at 4:23 PM, historylover820 said:

You know, it just occurred to me--

Delilah's house has take, what? A year? to sell or to get close to selling (and I don't think it's close to selling), and a teenager is still living out of it, while Greta's condo gets scooped up so fast that she has to move into Katherine's house pretty much immediately.

(I know that's not quite what happened--I'm exaggerating just a little bit--but it seems like I'm not too far from this!)

My dad sold his house last year (not in Boston but in a comparably affluent area)... His realtor had an open house amongst her friends (didn't even post it on MLS)  and it sold in two days for 20 percent over ask all cash.  No way in hell that house should still be on the market

• Love 2