Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Chapter Eight: We Are Phelps

• Start Topic

I'm not sure I got that ending. A lot was going on, but it doesn't seem like it was going anywhere. Like Mother, like Daughter. It might have been a better story if Pat was possessed by the spirit of her dead mother, who wanted revenge for what happened to her in the past. Judith Light was severely underutilized in this series. They could have introduced the Judith Light stuff in Episode 1. Nobody knows that she has died and at the end Judith Light's ghost jumps out of Pat's body right as Pat crosses the threshold of the insane asylum. Pat's book is a major success and everybody is swimming in money, Gaynor moves into the house next door with her religious boy toy, Terry starts working and living with Kathryn, Jake's little friend moves in with them until his father gets out of the hospital. Everybody, but Pat gets a happier life.

• Love 2

I didn't get it either. As they were about to wheel her away she saw a picture of what I assume is the Sanitarium she's been admitted to and started yelling "That's my house!" What? That wasn't the house they were living in where she got possessed, nor was it - I assume - where they lived in New York before they moved here. Why was she saying that was her house? And I recognized Rosemary in the picture but she looked like she was part of the staff rather than a patient there.

• Love 1

So was Pat just bat shit crazy all this time? I didn’t get it either. It seems like the house she was living in used to be the asylum. And the housewife who supposedly possessed her was not a housewife at all but one of the nurses at the asylum. So did they live in a big house in Connecticut or not, what’s the story? I freaking hate when series are so jumbled like this that you can’t figure it out ! 

• Love 2

I took the ending to be like "The Shining", where we see Jack in the picture at the hotel from many years ago. Rosemary is a former nurse who probably died in that house when it was an asylum (and it was the same house) and has been haunting that place ever since, driving the women in it mad. 

I do wonder if the plan is to bring Judith Light back in season 2 for the reveal that she wasn't crazy, she was just possessed. My big question right now is did Terry survive the attack or not? Legally, he would be the one to commit Pat but it was Gaynor that did it at the end. Yes, it completes the arc (Pat commits her mom, Gaynor commits Pat) but it doesn't make sense if Terry is alive. 

• Love 4

I took the ending to be like "The Shining", where we see Jack in the picture at the hotel from many years ago. Rosemary is a former nurse who probably died in that house when it was an asylum (and it was the same house) and has been haunting that place ever since, driving the women in it mad. 

But a.) it didn't look like that same house and b.) it contradicts the narrative that Rosemary was a housewife who finally snapped and killed her family. 

It's the same house.

Oh, OK. So what was the deal with the 8mm home movies that clearly showed Rosemary as a 50s housewife? Why was there a Tiki bar in the basement? Did nothing in this entire season actually happen? I don't get it.

On 4/20/2022 at 7:38 AM, cmahorror said:

I do wonder if the plan is to bring Judith Light back in season 2 for the reveal that she wasn't crazy, she was just possessed. My big question right now is did Terry survive the attack or not? Legally, he would be the one to commit Pat but it was Gaynor that did it at the end. Yes, it completes the arc (Pat commits her mom, Gaynor commits Pat) but it doesn't make sense if Terry is alive. 

After being hit by an axe and the fall down the stairs, it's possible that Terry simply wasn't in any condition to have Pat committed at that point. 

42 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Oh, OK. So what was the deal with the 8mm home movies that clearly showed Rosemary as a 50s housewife? Why was there a Tiki bar in the basement? Did nothing in this entire season actually happen? I don't get it.

Unless they were Rosemary possessing the woman who was the 50s housewife.  Remember we saw Pat's face in the movie as well. 

I thought Gaynor was only sixteen. Why would a sixteen year old have the power to commit her mother?  Same goes for Pat committing her mother - wouldn't she have to be at least 18 to make those decisions for her mother?