Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E01: Long Live the Kings!

• Start Topic

When the government closes the King Crab fishery, captains must save an industry they worked so hard to create. Sig pursues invasive Russian King Crab in Norway; John, Josh and Casey chase rising prices for a new species, and Jake mortgages the Saga.

No Harley this season.   Instead we got the Patricia lee.   Whose captain seems a bit worried all the time.

We also got Sean and the Brenna A back.

Damn something went wrong on every boat didn't it?   

A lost lost "Harris" brother?   Who thinks Phil was the most awesomest ever?   How conveniiiiieeent.   You know I don't think it's his legal troubles that are keeping Jake H. off the boat, I think he knows Phil for what he was and doesn;t want to worship at the Shrine of the Old Man.   I also think Shane is a stepbrother and not a Harris.    That's why the Harris boys never saw him after the parents divorced.  

Casey is as a big an idiot as Josh.   "I don't know what I am doing?"   "Oh I know let's call on Jonathan."   Although his bemused look when Josh was "instructing" Shane and then Shane ran off to do whatever was interesting.

I did think watching tonight, it might only be Disco money that saves those boats.   Even if its only fuel being paid for, well that's one less cost for the boats to have to cover this year.   

• Love 1

This show is running on fumes now.   Sig in Norway?  Black cod?  Dungeness crabs caught in hatboxes? 

Sig in Norway seems like a Discovery gimmick.  Does anyone really believe he can make a phone call, get a ship, and have a bunch of Norwegians who don't know him scramble to refit a cutter as a crab boat because Mandy's expecting a baby?

I'm not counting Harley out just yet.   I fully expected him to show up, looking at his radar and saying, "Hmm, Sig's in Norway.  Did you find something there, Sig?  Something you want to keep secret?   Let's take a little trip to Norway and see."

I already like Shane better than Josh.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, millennium said:

This show is running on fumes now.   Sig in Norway?  Black cod?  Dungeness crabs caught in hatboxes? 

Sig in Norway seems like a Discovery gimmick.  Does anyone really believe he can make a phone call, get a ship, and have a bunch of Norwegians who don't know him scramble to refit a cutter as a crab boat because Mandy's expecting a baby?

I'm not counting Harley out just yet.   I fully expected him to show up, looking at his radar and saying, "Hmm, Sig's in Norway.  Did you find something there, Sig?  Something you want to keep secret?   Let's take a little trip to Norway and see."

I already like Shane better than Josh.

Without the king crab season I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do except sit on their hands & hope that they are still able to feed their families & pay their boat loans, it doesn't look like they're great at saving for the future..

As for Sig, while I'm sure he still has a load of friends & contacts in Norway that does seem a bit contrived.

I have to think retro-fitting a cutter into a crabber cannot be cheap. for the storage tanks, they need recirculating pumps and install all the baffles - that sounds like a lengthy process. 

i hope it remains as interesting as the previous seasons, i do like this show.

• Love 1

Hi everyone long time not on this thread. Shane is Josh and Jake's half-brother from their mother's (Mary Harris) first marriage. They also has an older half-sister from that marriage.  They also have a younger sister from Mary. When Phil divorced Mary Harris, Josh was eight( 8) and Jake was five (5 ). According to the book on Phil that came out in round 2013, Mary was with Phil for a total of around 14 years. Phil married his second wife Teresa around 1991 and they were married for about 10 years. Somehow Phil gained custody of both boys. Teresa was both physically and verbally abusive to both of them. From what I could gather from the book it appeared she was more physically abusive to Jake and verbally abusive to Josh. She had a substance problem and passed in appx. 2010. All of this was discussed in the special on the CM a few years ago on Discovery. Phil knew the abuse was going on and never did anything. Josh was kicked out by Phil and Teresa at 15, Jake left the home at 14.  Phil was not father of the year and had  horrible substance abuse issues up until his death. It sounded like their childhood was a mess. I have no ideas when they began contact with their two half-siblings. Sad that Phil was nasty enough to keep siblings from seeing each other.

This show has been going down hill for may years. I think it has out-lived it's tv time.

Edited by NEGirl
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

Phil was not father of the year and had  horrible substance abuse up until his death

Which is why the deifying of him on this show is so disgusting.   This was KNOWN.   Why are they making him out to be the BEST CRAB FISHERMAN EVER that his sons so badly want to emulate to show how great they turned out?    

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, NEGirl said:

She had a substance problem and passed in appx. 2010. All of this was discussed in the special on the CM a few years ago on Discovery. Phil knew the abuse was going on and never did anything. Josh was kicked out by Phil and Teresa at 15, Josh left the home at 14.  Phil was not father of the year and had  horrible substance abuse issues up until his death.

I wonder why her picture isn't hanging next to Phil's in "the shrine" on the Cornelia Marie.  Sounds like they were two of a kind.

/sarcasm

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

It's called money and ratings.

Back when that CM special was aired someone from Discovery gave an interview(which I read ) and described Phil as a "flawed" person or something like that.  The people at Discovery knew Phil was not father of the year and played it up because people loved his character. In those very early shows Phil used to make statements about his many regrets, and you could sense it was more than being away from his sons.

• Love 1

When we first met the captain of the Patricia Lee, he was introduced as the guy on whose watch Todd was killed (sounded like Todd was crushed by pots).

The second time we see him, he's in the wheel house of the Patricia Lee, with large type to the left that says:

RIP

I took it to mean Rest In Peace, lol, and thought "That's kind of weird and tasteless."

Took me a moment to realize his name is Rip.

Edited by millennium
On 4/19/2022 at 10:06 PM, merylinkid said:

A lost lost "Harris" brother?   Who thinks Phil was the most awesomest ever?   How conveniiiiieeent.   You know I don't think it's his legal troubles that are keeping Jake H. off the boat, I think he knows Phil for what he was and doesn;t want to worship at the Shrine of the Old Man.   I also think Shane is a stepbrother and not a Harris.    That's why the Harris boys never saw him after the parents divorced.  

I watched the episode of Bloodline after the show and Josh was on it.... he looked horrible and if I had to guess, he's still using. Shane's their half brother, they have same mom. Make you wonder how they never saw each other with their mother, although I am getting the feeling the Harris boys never saw much of her themselves. 

On 4/22/2022 at 10:24 AM, NEGirl said:

Hi everyone long time not on this thread. Shane is Josh and Jake's half-brother from their mother's (Mary Harris) first marriage. They also has an older half-sister from that marriage.  They also have a younger sister from Mary. When Phil divorced Mary Harris, Josh was eight( 8) and Jake was five (5 ). According to the book on Phil that came out in round 2013, Mary was with Phil for a total of around 14 years. Phil married his second wife Teresa around 1991 and they were married for about 10 years. Somehow Phil gained custody of both boys. Teresa was both physically and verbally abusive to both of them. From what I could gather from the book it appeared she was more physically abusive to Jake and verbally abusive to Josh. She had a substance problem and passed in appx. 2010. All of this was discussed in the special on the CM a few years ago on Discovery. Phil knew the abuse was going on and never did anything. Josh was kicked out by Phil and Teresa at 15, Jake left the home at 14.  Phil was not father of the year and had  horrible substance abuse issues up until his death. It sounded like their childhood was a mess. I have no ideas when they began contact with their two half-siblings. Sad that Phil was nasty enough to keep siblings from seeing each other.

This show has been going down hill for may years. I think it has out-lived it's tv time.

I remember reading the second wife was pretty damn abusive with Jake. I also remember Josh saying he tried to protect him since Jake was so little, but he was a kid himself, so there was little he could do. I don't by any stretch of the imagination think Phil was father of the year, but I also get the impression that abusive step mom had a big hand in cutting off anything to do with Mary's first kids and the Harris brothers and Phil. Plus, back then, it would have been the mom's "job" to keep her kids close, not the ex-step father's. 

• Love 1

Sig ended up with the slowest launcher in the world! The cc keeps calling them “pods” instead of pots, and it also indicated Francis’s head was crushed by the pots, instead of his hip. Regardless, I’d think that captain would want his injured deck hand moved on to the next level of care ASAP!  It took the producer to step in and do the absolute basic essentials of emergency care (the first things you learn), while everyone else just dithered, held his hand, and told him to breathe?

I watched DC up through the second “Josh as ‘captain’ season, then just stopped because I ended up with hours of redundant video on the DVR. Thought I’d drop in on a new season and was shocked to see that the Red King Crab was shut down. Those government surveys did the same thing to the cod fishermen on the east coast-there’s a great documentary on it. How did Jonathan get red crab quota (or have I become color blind)? 

True to form, they’ve added drama to the Saga’s situation with the black cod quota and pink slip bs. What is this? American Graffiti?  I root for both of them to succeed (where is Sean’s other FV?). But I’m glad for Jake’s family that those pots are full. Haven’t seen Keith or Bill yet, but they both look a bit “I’m too old for this sh*t” in previews.  Apparently, they left retirement one administration too late. 

• Useful 1

Contrived or not, we saw some new techniques, which is tough to do considering how old this series is.

No way can Sig come out ahead if he has to front a re-fit for the cutter.  Unless there are Disco shenanigans, of course.  

I can't stand the CM, but teaming up with the TB and fabricating that giant hook was as good as this show gets.  I wonder how hard Disco tried to get rights for Elton John's "Rocket Man?"   

Todd sure seemed like a helluva guy and fisherman.  :(

Anyone believe Jake actually put up his boat against fulfilling Sean's entire quota? 

If nobody has fished for Goldens for years due to the expense and the poor prices, there should have been a lot of them, fattened up, to harvest.  Early returns seem to bear this out.

I appreciate that Disco has not said one scripted word about Sig being a smokestack again.  It's enough that we see him lighting up.  Point made.  Good on them for showing Jake A.'s chain smoking, too.    

17 hours ago, Daff said:

I watched DC up through the second “Josh as ‘captain’ season, then just stopped because I ended up with hours of redundant video on the DVR. Thought I’d drop in on a new season and was shocked to see that the Red King Crab was shut down. Those government surveys did the same thing to the cod fishermen on the east coast-there’s a great documentary on it. How did Jonathan get red crab quota (or have I become color blind)?

Sounds an interesting documentary, where is it available to watch or what is it called?

Jonathan had Golden king crab so you may want to get your eyes checked or have another look.

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Sounds an interesting documentary, where is it available to watch or what is it called?

Jonathan had Golden king crab so you may want to get your eyes checked or have another look.

I’ve searched, but surprisingly (not), the only results that came up are either government sites or Wikipedia articles. It aired about two years ago, and I think it was on a cable channel called Current. There were two parts, first about shore erosion, and then the fishing industry, both focused on the New England coast and Massachusetts. The fishermen who went to the expense to re-rig for a different catch were plagued by nets full of cod, which, of course, had to be thrown back! Most found fault with the timing, locations, and methods used in the survey. They felt the numbers were a gross underestimate. Similar predicament with the shore erosion. The more permanent solutions (tried and proven effective) were denied permits, so the towns had no recourse but to dump tons of sand on the beaches each year. 

It was nighttime filming when Jonathan hauled, maybe the cameras had infrared lights?

• LOL 1

I rewatched this episode yesterday. I was surprised to hear Josh's brother Shane say he had fished on the CM 25 years ago. That would have taken him back to the late 90's. I had no idea he fished with Phil, especially since he was the one who kept him from seeing J & J for so many years. It did sound like it was not a good experience as he said he has sworn he would never fish on the CM again. Funny how money and tv can change that.