Type keyword(s) to search

Come Dance With Me - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The journey begins as 12 dance teams, each comprised of one extremely talented kid dancer and their untrained parent, enter the competition of a lifetime on the two-hour series premiere of COME DANCE WITH ME, Friday, April 15 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+

This is rather sweet, watching parents support their talented kids

I can't watch most reality shows, Amazing Race excepted, but this looked nice so I tuned in. I enjoyed it for the most part, but the judging seemed pretty random to me. Admittedly I'm no dancer, but some of the ones who looked to me to do just as well as the first pair got significantly lower scores, and it didn't seem quite above board to me.

Another thought I had at one point was how they might have to be careful what they say, since these are just kids. Then I realized that these kids have been dancing and competing for years, so they've probably heard much harsher criticism that what they're hearing here.

Felt bad for the Limp Bizkit drummer, I expect they'll be out early and he'll feel he's let her down in this, on top of being away for so much of her childhood anyway.

Edited by Starchild

I admit, I tuned in out of morbid curiosity, but "Dancing with a Parent" wasn't as bad as I expected in the dancing department. Most of the parents weren't dismal, and they were all enthusiastic. The kids slowed and simplified their normal performance to complement the parents ability, or danced in front to hide the parent. I was impressed with their patience.

The camera work wasn't as bad as some shows with award winning cinematography (since it actually focused on the dancers rather than the cinematography).

Manufactured drama, skewed judging, pointless judge reaction shots, and general surreality common to the Reality Show genera are present in full supply.

• Love 1

I think the kids are starting to realize that their parents abilities are the key to winning this and the kids competitive (and critical) sides are beginning to emerge.

Do only the classical moves get labeled? I notice that the 'marche lunaire' was unlabeled.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:41 AM, appositival said:

I think the kids are starting to realize that their parents abilities are the key to winning this and the kids competitive (and critical) sides are beginning to emerge.

Do only the classical moves get labeled? I notice that the 'marche lunaire' was unlabeled.

Yes, I think the parents are the key since all the kids are good in their style.  The moves that are labeled are the ones that the kids taught their parents if you're talking about the last two weeks.

I mostly fast forward through the judges comments and scores.  I also ff through the side bits about the judges although I didn't mind the clip about the choreographers.

I watched the first episode today on demand. I had not heard about this show but read about it on the SYTYCD forum. I didn't even know SYTYCD was coming back. I'm out of the loop with these dance shows.

I liked the first episode of Come Dance With Me. Too bad about the last kid who had to drop out of the competition because his Dad is injured. It was nice that he was able to dance with his choreographer and perform the routine he had practiced.

We actually have two dance shows airing at the same time. Great news for us dance show lovers.

16 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

I watched the first episode today on demand. I had not heard about this show but read about it on the SYTYCD forum. I didn't even know SYTYCD was coming back. I'm out of the loop with these dance shows.

I liked the first episode of Come Dance With Me. Too bad about the last kid who had to drop out of the competition because his Dad is injured. It was nice that he was able to dance with his choreographer and perform the routine he had practiced.

We actually have two dance shows airing at the same time. Great news for us dance show lovers.

There's another dance show called Dancing With Myself that has Nick Jonas and Shakira as two of the judges.  There's another judge but I can't tell who it is from the commercial.  I think it's premiering in June.  Shakira I understand but I don't know why Nick Jonas is on there.

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, realdancemom said:

There's another dance show called Dancing With Myself that has Nick Jonas and Shakira as two of the judges.  There's another judge but I can't tell who it is from the commercial.  I think it's premiering in June.  Shakira I understand but I don't know why Nick Jonas is on there.

Thanks for the info. Dance is back! On TV that is.

I’m really enjoying this show. I’ve never heard of the two judges other than Jenna Dewan, or the host. I’d love to see the kids dance together at some point in a group number. They had one for the parents but not again. Even the show out is fun (too short), I’d also like to see some choreographed solos. 

In the last two DODs (Dance Of Death, AKA 'show out'), I'm sure it was the parents' performances that determined the outcome (because the kids were superlative as always). The kids should be choreographing a DOD routine for their parents so that they don't just stand in one place and awkwardly gyrate.

Has anyone heard "show out" used like this before? I googled the phrase and it does exist in the wild. There is even an NSFW song, "Mm, uh, uh, uh, uh. Ah, uh, uh. Look!".

On 5/28/2022 at 8:49 AM, appositival said:

In the last two DODs (Dance Of Death, AKA 'show out'), I'm sure it was the parents' performances that determined the outcome (because the kids were superlative as always). The kids should be choreographing a DOD routine for their parents so that they don't just stand in one place and awkwardly gyrate.

Has anyone heard "show out" used like this before? I googled the phrase and it does exist in the wild. There is even an NSFW song, "Mm, uh, uh, uh, uh. Ah, uh, uh. Look!".

I think  it's the parents that are determining all the winners in the show outs.  All the kids are great. 

• Love 2

BUST A GROOVE EXTRAVAGANZA

Emily and Anna - (25.5) I did not see what the judges saw in this performance. I enjoyed their rehearsal better than their actual performance. Those Jive kicks were lame as hell and Mom gets kudos for them???? The costumes were awful. I may have missed their significance but they looked like washer women. Just bad all around. 8.5 from each judge? Really? The Fan. Really?? What did I miss with this performance???

Kennedy and Justin - (25) This is the team to beat. For a "Big" guy, Justin can really move and groove. That leg lift really shouldn't be part of a Disco routine but what the hell.....they are throwing in all sorts of moves that are not typical of the dance styles. LOVED this routine.

Avery and Jack - (21.5)  I really like this team and I really liked this routine. Jack really works hard but their scores don't match what I feel they should be rewarded.

As and side......Jenna Dewan looks beautiful tonight.

Connor and Nadya - (20) Lots of characterization from both and that is just what this routine needed but.....I did not recognize one of those signature moves that Nadia performed. These two deserve a bit higher scores.

Kamryn and Adriana - (22.5) Ballroom is tough. This was labored, especially from Adrianna. I now realize why I'm not recognizing the dance signature moves, especially with this team.......they do the move for one and a half counts. They go by so fast I might have blinked and not saw them. I really liked their costumes. Mom looked GREAT!!!

Mia and Crystal - (24.5)  Sorry, but I'm getting tired of hearing about Mom's constant chronic pain. Kudos to her for taking this difficult venture and be there for her daughter but........come on, enough already! The best things about this performance were Mom looking so fantastic in her costume and that high leg kick was EVERYTHING from her.

As an aside.....great to see Robert Roldan on this show!!!!!!!

Ava and John - (21) This team should have gone home first, IMHO. The Dad is not as good as the Mom who went home first and the daughter is not nearly as good as the young boy ballroom dancer who went home first. Sorry, forgot their names already but that young boy is one of the best kid dancers on this show. He should not have been shown the door first. Back to this performance............ Yup......these two should be gone already (and that is all on the Dad).

Emelyn and Nicole -  (25.5)  The ballroom moves always seem to be the most difficult. That Batucada was not recognizable but Mom seemed really happy to perform this number. Scores were a bit too high and certainly did not deserve the fan. Again....all my opinion.

Noah and Sylvia - (21)  Noah is a really good dancer and I appreciate his effort in this dance. Mom did OK. Agree with the judges.......she needs to loosen up and enjoy the moment. She needs to smile more for sure.

Saeda and Shamus - (25) What made this kid think her Dad could do a straddle jump????? Why inflict that injury potential on her Dad? Where was the straddle jump? Sorry big man, that was not a straddle jump. I think I missed it. I think I missed the pirouette too. I forget the third signature jump and not motivated to play it back. The judges seem to love this team.

Showout - Conner and Nadya are two of the better dancers on this show, and Nadya is more impressive than most of the parents. They have the lowest score? What????? They move so well together. Why are they ending up in the bottom two and with the lowest score? Thank you judges for sending home the correct team.

1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

I think  it's the parents that are determining all the winners in the show outs.  All the kids are great. 

Agree.

I had to google the teams after your review luvthepros.  I forgot the dances already but I think performance wise, based off the parents, I think  Justin and Adriana perform well.  Technique wise, either Emily or Anna (don't know which is the mom) has had some dance training and Nadya has had some ballroom based on what I've seen.  I don't know the rules for how much or how little training a parent should have.

(edited)

It is pretty obvious to me which parent has had some dance training, especially the Moms.

WOW.....just watched the #Throwback episode. Avery and Jack were on fire! LOVED every second of their Amadeus Mozart routine. They hit every mark and were so on point with their synchronization. Tricks were great too. So damn good!!! This is my favorite number so far in the competition. They deserved both nines they received. Dexter was the hold out with the 8.5. Come on Dex.

I'm REALLY enjoying Dexter as a judge on this show. His critiques and comments are so meaningful and on point.

It is getting difficult at this point to eliminate any of the teams. They are all really good and I'm enjoying watching them all. As with all dance competitions, everyone is upping their game.

Good luck to all the teams and may you give your best performance next time.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1

Watching Musical Theater Night now.

How can you go wrong with "Hot Honey Rag"? That song is a winner in my book. Adriana and Kamryn did that number justice. Fan Fuckin' Tastic!!!! Great choreo Robert!!!

Noah should still be in this competition but it was very evident that his Mom, Sylvia, is the reason they were eliminated. For a woman with absolutely no dance experience, I give her so much credit for being there for her son. Noah has a future in dance. I truly believe he will be on the Broadway stage some day.

• Like 1

Jet-Setters, Season 1, Episode 8

Maybe it's me, but I am not seeing how the judges' scores relate to the dances I just watched. The 'good' and 'bad' dances don't break down that way for me.

Did the judges disagree on any scores last night? Are they showing solidarity or is it just a case of "monkey hear, monkey say"? I wish they had to lock their scores before they hear the other judges' guesses.

On 6/4/2022 at 7:48 AM, appositival said:

Jet-Setters, Season 1, Episode 8

Maybe it's me, but I am not seeing how the judges' scores relate to the dances I just watched. The 'good' and 'bad' dances don't break down that way for me.

Did the judges disagree on any scores last night? Are they showing solidarity or is it just a case of "monkey hear, monkey say"? I wish they had to lock their scores before they hear the other judges' guesses.

I didn't see this episode so can't comment on it.  However, I think they should lock in their scores too.  Also, there were times when I disagreed with the judges' scores.  Lately, I've been FFing and just watching the dances though.

Just watched the latest episode and Trisha was the harsh judge at the beginning and she was the first to give out a 10. I thought Conner and Nadya were the last obvious team to go home, next week should definitely be interesting. I feel like both Camryn?/Adriana and Mia?/Crystal (I still don’t know everyone’s names) have been consistently good the entire competition but they haven’t had a real standout routine like the other teams have so this week will really be tough. 

Loved the Argentine tango and the mime routine this week. I’m really hoping at some point they dance twice. And I still want to see a group routine with the kids. 

• Love 1

I'm enjoying this show but I am disappointed there is very little interest from this forum. Top 5 show was great. I agree with the judges for this elimination. It's going to be a great show with the top 4 performing two dances each. It was nice to see the choreographers get a little time in the spotlight too.

• Love 3
(edited)
20 hours ago, healthnut said:

So Anna has dance training, right? That ballroom routine they did was phenomenal. My money has been on Kennedy and Justin most of the season but I don’t know…

Anna is one of those parents that I would bet money on, has dance training. She is just too good.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Like 1

I'm a few shows behind so I came here to see who the winners were.  No specific answers so I googled it.  I'm o.k. with the winners but my favorites came in second.  Glad that the third place team didn't win since I think there was a training advantage there and they weren't good performers.  But like I said, I'm behind so my opinion is based on what I've seen so far.

I think Kennedy and Justin deserved the win, they were strong all competition. I didn’t love having a repeat dance instead of two new ones. If they were going to repeat a dance, they should’ve had to repeat their lowest scoring routine and try to improve it. 

All in all, I really enjoyed the show and I hope they bring it back with some tweaks. I haven’t looked at ratings but based on the lack of buzz, I don’t expect it to be back. But if it does what tweaks what want to see?

I like the show out but I’d still like to see some choreographed solos instead.
I’d like to see the kids do a group routine every week. 

Everything else I pretty much liked, the choreographers, the themes, the host, even the judges. 

I liked the Dad better in the second place team. Jack moved better than Justin in every genre both teams danced. Justin was more of a forklift for his daughter and his movement when "dancing" appeared labored to me.

Both kids were stellar as far as their dancing talent so no qualms there. From day one, this competition was one and lost with the parents.

• Like 1

I'm still a few shows behind but decided to watch the final.  I still like the second place team more.  They showed more growth through the process especially the dad. 

Kennedy is a beautiful dancer with nice lines but she was like that from day one.  Jack on the other hand is a better dancer than Kennedy's dad.  Kennedy and her dad had great lifts since she can hold gracefull poses in the air but I agree that the dad was more like a forklift.

• Like 1