Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Something Unpredictable, but in the End It's Right

• Start Topic

Evan proposes an idea to save Bulk Beauty. Alice is back but still at odds with Sumi. Isabella's surprise 90's themed 40th birthday party for Dennis makes Davia fear she's losing him. Angelica and Dyonte meet.

The writers are still lost without Maia. Too many conflicts popping up and extending the boring Malika plots. The signature of the show runners has been pressing social issues since The Fosters, but it is like only if Maia is somewhat related to the stories. They lost that, and turned the whole ting into a soap opera. Even the identity plots - like Malika suddenly becoming polyamorous - seems contrived.

I preferred the show when they had more balance between the social justice stores and the romantic stuff, even when I found some of the stories hard to swallow.

Really nice to see Callie at the end. I figured she'd pop up since they had taken Maia's name out of the credits, but added her back in this week.

Where did everyone get such amazing 90s costumes for that party? Some of those were exact replicas from some of those movies. If I was invited to a 90s party I'd go look for a flannel or something. And no one got Pretty Woman? It's a classic.

However, WAY to much karaoke. It was fun at first, but it just went on and on.  Did they run out of ideas and told the cast to sing to fill the time?

Mariana thinking her partners wouldn't let Evan buy their competition and merge the companies. There original funding came from basically blackmailing Evan into a lawsuit. Glad Callie was able to help so they could stay independent. Maybe Mariana should have called her back sooner. Or just Googled it. I just checked and it is apparently true, non-competes aren't enforceable in California. They need to wrap up this Bulk Beauty subplot with Mariana. Maybe have them succeed and just be in the background while she does something interesting.

Also - I totally remember The Adventures of Shelby Woo. Alice is probably too young to know it though, it is not something that would have been on in repeats years later like all the other references.

• Love 1
On 4/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, Wizardpatch said:

I thought Davia was dressed as the red headed lady from Gremlins 2, trying to be obscure or something.

Julia roberts from Pretty Woman which I did get before she took off her jacket but it did take me a minute.  

On 4/15/2022 at 6:08 PM, KaveDweller said:

They need to wrap up this Bulk Beauty subplot with Mariana

Right? So silly and actually undermines the premise of the initial plot, the women's demands and ultimate resignation from Spekulate - they were women wanting to be seen as competent as the male workers who deserved fair pay, same opportunities. Fair enough. But then they left and proved themselves incompetent, therefore not really deserving of equal pay, squandering the opportunities they had.

The writers could have made the story about how hard it would be for a group of competent adult women to breach a market full of testosterone. Better yet, they could have made this point but then concluding that it is not solely about identity and that there is room for collaboration. They could have shown how hard it is to find that common ground. 

But obviously, they had to go for the easy shout out to equality! with a dose of spy games to make Mariana look even more insufferable, and nothing really accomplished, other than yelling SEXISM! many times over, just to sink the whole theme in pointless scenes.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, Wizardpatch said:

I thought Davia was dressed as the red headed lady from Gremlins 2, trying to be obscure or something.

This cracks me up, but that outfit is so iconic I knew she was Vivian from Pretty woman right away. The only outfit from the movie that’s recognizable is the opera dress. 

I have to say I LOVE these episodes where they have a party. The cast works so well together and everyone looks like they are having so much fun. 

On 4/15/2022 at 5:08 PM, KaveDweller said:

Also - I totally remember The Adventures of Shelby Woo. Alice is probably too young to know it though, it is not something that would have been on in repeats years later like all the other references.

I remember Shelby Woo too.  

On 4/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, Scarlett45 said:

This cracks me up, but that outfit is so iconic I knew she was Vivian from Pretty woman right away. The only outfit from the movie that’s recognizable is the opera dress. 

I have to say I LOVE these episodes where they have a party. The cast works so well together and everyone looks like they are having so much fun. 

I remember Shelby Woo too.  

It was the wig that threw me off.  I mean it is fine I just kept looking at it and not focusing on the clothes but the ring in the middle of her street walking dress was always very memorable to me and if I hadn't gotten it while she was still in the blazer I would have as soon as that came off...   

I also am pretty sure I could pick the polo match dress out of a lineup but I'm not sure that one is as recognizable.   

When Callie was first talking about time differences, I was thinking she was in Australia........which she actually was I believe.......wonder what time it actually was when she filmed it lol.

Also I always enjoy when actors and actresses actual childhood pictures are used in shows.  I am guessing the picture with Jenna? was not an actual childhood picture.