Type keyword(s) to search

SO1.E07: The Safety Dance

• Start Topic

Aesha, You are too nice! Please just lower the boom and say you prefer Tumi on service. There is a time to learn and a time to perform. Tumi can hit the ground running and Magda still has much to learn. I keep imagining Kate on this charter. Would love to see her reactions to this series.

Bosun Jamie: "I'm doing my job and the Captain comes and does it anyway"  

Never a good idea to bad talk the Captain and NEWSFLASH Jamie, you're NOT doing your job. I would love it if the Captain catches Jamie trash talking him up.

Skipper lines up an alternate chef...just perfect. I like this guy, Good intuition. He knows what may transpire. We shall see. Ryan is a major tool and a phony chef.

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Yeah it seems like Jason could have his team be more proactive.  But Jason may be trying to speed them up too fast as well.

Benny thinks Jason could be gone while a Jason thinks Benny is the one on the chopping block.

Aesha finally mentions some of the difficulties she’s had with Ryan and Captain is already preparing the hook!  He must not have done many yacht charters yet Bravo cast him for the attitude.

I’m not interested in keto so I wouldn’t want to just eat shellfish either.  If gluten is such a big deal to that guest, was it on the pref sheet?  This is where it would have been important, not just a prop.

Magda is too preoccupied with boyfriend at home.  So she keeps messing up but if the guy is going to wander, he will do it regardless of where she Is.

• Love 2

Whoever heard of a meal of just seafood? Where were the sides... a variety of salads, and breads (including gluten free). Oh, and desserts, snacks.... Amd have 2 specials fo breakfast so any other requests can be met.

I think this version of Below Deck is so poorly done, fake guests, fake chef, too forgiving of mess-ups by all.

And who calls their captain by just their first name and not Captain ____.

• Love 2

As always, comments in order of episode broadcast…

I may have seen bigger A-holes than Ryan – but not many.  His petulance is matched only by his false confidence.  He’s an infant among adults.  Well, excluding Benny…

Aesha – word of advice as you move up the management ladder – sometimes you have to be harsh and forceful.  People like Ryan will walk all over you if you give them half a chance. 

What’s with this boat and poo?  Does the crew have too much fibre in their diet?  Not enough?  Was it really Magda’s fault?  I know some of the crew have poo-for-brains, but still…

Aesha: “Clearly I would rather have Tumi on service…”  Well then make a management decision!  Your job is to have the boat perform at its best for paying customers, not administer a communistic work structure where everyone is equal.  “Clearly” they are not.

Right move, not letting Magda handle the glassware!

Charter guest:  “I have a bidet!  I don’t even have a vagina!”  Smooth move, Exlax – you are the personification of class… not.

Benny can’t even tie  shoe, let alone a tender.  Watching him try to deal with the tangle would be amusing if it weren’t so pathetic.

Aesha, after the “Gluten Free Cracker” fiaso:  (moans) “Oh, why did I put her (Magda) on service?”  See my comment a few lines up.

Aesha: “I just need to stop being so f*&^ing nice!”   YES! FINALLY!

Brittini “complaining” about Jamie having his shirt off – hilarious!

Ryan:  “Clearly these guests want quantity over quality.”  Um, no – what’s wrong with both quantity *and* quality?  Don’t get me wrong, I think many of the non-primary charter guests are jerks, but if I have to pick a side – I’m not choosing Ryan’s.

That final talk between the Captain and his Bosun was interesting.  “Clearly” Captain Jason has expectations that Jamie is reluctant to embrace.  This is perhaps the most interesting situation in this series so far.

• Love 6

I caught a glimpse of WWHL a few weeks back . Ryan was one of the guests and was just as obnoxious as on the boat. Andy asked if he maybe had an apology for Aesha  for all his attitude & comments and his response was "where's her apology to ME?" Even ol' Andy, usually supportive of the worst behaviors, was taken aback & didn't even joke with him. Bravo standards of hiring the immature, emotionally stunted/ mentally ill/ unstable are being upheld with Ryan and Magda and to a slightly lesser extent Benny.

Ryan is plainly sick to the point that he's delusional. Doesn't seem to know what a balanced meal is let alone an elevated 5 star one. His ability is far below standard and his delusions prevent him from seeing even a bit of this. 

For him to say the chief stew position is irrelevant and could be eliminated altogether is proof positive he has zero idea of how to work on a yacht.  As is his dismissing the Captain (his boss!) as someone irrelevant & just another person on the boat with him!

Aesha is a very lovely human, seems well-adjusted and competent at her job. Magda is resentful & pouty, makes constant excuses for her incompetence & takes Aesha's non-aggressive,  perfectly proper and justified observations on what tasks she needs to pick up & do better as "picking on" her. Meanwhile, she's constantly obsessing over her absent boyfriend. She's as distracted as a middle school teen with her first crush (to the point of flushing her white gloves down the head!!). It's Aesha's job to evaluate ("judge") your work/performance & let you know where you need improvement. Anyone with eyes can see Magda is too immature & incompetent at this point for this job

Evidently none of these people ever heard the admonition.     "Don't embarrass the boat. Don't embarrass yourself."

. (tm Capt'n Lee)

Sailing Yacht was so enjoyable this last season -- no assholes on crew, only one charter of truly horrible people.   (the repeat female & her embarrassingly obnoxious mate and mentally impaired "mother"). It was a genuine relief to watch one show that was pleasant, happy & made the audience laugh instead of cringe. Proves it's possible for Bravo to do this--- would that they made the effort to do it more frequently...🕊

• Love 10

They wouldn't show Captain Jason calling for a replacement chef for no reason so I think we can all see the writing on the wall. It's about time Jason took notice of Ryan's behavior. He just doesn't make any sense. It was clear this time there are, in fact, preference sheets, and during the meeting Jason read out loud to make sure there were seafood, meat and vegetarian options. Laying out a giant spread of seafood and nothing else is not offering options. 

This show may set a record for number of firings in one season, I'm not clear who's going to come out on top between Benny and Jamie. Maybe neither? Benny clearly has some sort of personal grudge against Jamie, maybe because he just doesn't function well under someone with a pseudo-military/police attitude. Benny praised the way Jason corrected him when Jamie had done the exact same thing so it's something personal about Jamie. Meanwhile, it looks more and more like Jamie doesn't really know what he's doing, contradicting the captain and standing around instructing the crew when he was clearly told they needed to be off the dock by 10:00.

• Love 5

Every time I've been to a crab feed or seafood extravaganza, they have had at a minimum salad and bread, and usually a pasta, as well.  Ryan was counting on the amount of seafood to appease the guests without thinking about variety and a balanced meal.  I also saw his appearance on WWHL and his go-to excuse is that it was all for the drama and things are not what they seem.  He's quite the actor, then! 😉

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

Every time I've been to a crab feed or seafood extravaganza, they have had at a minimum salad and bread, and usually a pasta, as well.  Ryan was counting on the amount of seafood to appease the guests without thinking about variety and a balanced meal.  I also saw his appearance on WWHL and his go-to excuse is that it was all for the drama and things are not what they seem.  He's quite the actor, then! 😉

Agreed on rounding out the seafood dinner with other side dishes. 

I also saw little Ryan the great chef on WWHL in recent weeks. And guess what ? He really is the same little cocky, chip on shoulder, unlikeable, emotionally immature, defensive, unevolved, kid we see on BD.   

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2

Not a spoiler. Just my opinion. 

Looks like Jamie (bosun), Magda (3rd stew), and maybe Bennye's (deck crew) jobs are on the line. 

I know it looks like Ryan is too, but he was just on WWHL and usually they don't have "fired" cast members come to New York to do that show. Appear on the reunion, yes, but not come on WWHL.

Note: Jamie, Magda, and Bennye have *NOT* appeared on WWHL.

• Useful 3
5 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

I was looking at crab legs as long as my arm. Yes, you need some sides. 

I hope I don't see him on another show.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, SemiCharmedLife said:

That seafood extravaganza was ridiculously easy and I could have done the same and I am not a chef.  So, he steamed a boat load of seafood and called it a day only to get mad that the guests wanted SIDES!  And complained about it in front of the captain.  He is unbelievably not self-aware is he?  I am glad he showed his true colors in front of the captain, but I don't think it will get him fired.  Ryan is becoming the biggest tool on BD series.

• Love 5

I LOL'ed at Culver aka Keith Stone clogging out the toilet but yeah totally don't understand how white gloves are getting flushed down the toilet.  

Culver really is the gift that keeps on giving.  Anyone that can take a nasty job like unclogging a toilet and turn it into a fun show is ok in my book!

Oh and almost forgot Aesha is an absolute ray of sunshine🌞  I've never seen someone so positive before.  Having said that her voice is a bit grating.  IDK if it's her accent or the pitch but wow something about her voice...

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Like 2
  • Love 4

Oh and almost forgot Aesha is an absolute ray of sunshine🌞  I've never seen someone so positive before.  Having said that her voice is a bit grating.  IDK if it's her accent or the pitch but wow something about her voice...

New Zealand accents are very heavy. I once had a college professor from New Zealand. It's similar to an Australian accent but 10x heavier. I used to say "he sounds like a drunk Australian." (Sorry, no offense to any Kiwis out there!)

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

New Zealand accents are very heavy. I once had a college professor from New Zealand. It's similar to an Australian accent but 10x heavier. I used to say "he sounds like a drunk Australian." (Sorry, no offense to any Kiwis out there!)

I don't find it hard to understand. I once tried to watch a show from Wales and wondered if they were speaking English.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, nokat said:

I don't find it hard to understand. I once tried to watch a show from Wales and wondered if they were speaking English.

They may not have been speaking english, there are quite a few Welsh speaking programs and there is even a Welsh speaking channel, S4C.

But some Welsh accents are very thick & some a lot milder depending on what part of Wales the person is from.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
more to add
  • Useful 1

All Ryan had to do was serve boiled potatoes and corn on the cob with the seafood. He could have boiled them with some of the seafood and use old bay seasoning.  Delicious!  I couldn't tell if the seafood served had any seasoning or not. Probably not.

• Like 1
  • Love 2