Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Babies, Lies and a Resplendent Cannoli

Bort
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

Maybe YS Mary was born later.  If Georgie's 17 he would have been born in '74 or '75.    I always got the feeling that Mary was younger than 23 or 24 when she got pregnant.

True, that doesn’t exactly fit with the past ‘wild child’ persona. Maybe she was careful with birth control until then but slipped up?

I’m a little surprised they didn’t try to bring back Veronica at some point, but I guess she’s still firmly converted from wild child to religion. I looked up that Halloween episode, and Montana Jordan was 15 at a time, but Isabel May was almost 18. One wonders what was going through the young actor’s head during the kissing scene on the park bench. “Hey Director, I don’t think the angle was quite right, can we do another take?” 😆

Added: here they are at the time:

F58B1864-941A-40A1-AFC6-3DAA5800E0A5.jpeg

9B41A70B-B046-4BD7-8045-0102A69C04A9.jpeg

Edited by kay1864
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The latter; she was pregnant when they got married. (Again going by the BBT wiki, Mary was born in 1950.)
Though her religious conversion didn't happen until the twins were born and she was afraid they might lose one of them.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Maybe YS Mary was born later.  If Georgie's 17 he would have been born in '74 or '75.    I always got the feeling that Mary was younger than 23 or 24 when she got pregnant.

This backstory reminds me of the backstory of Annie Potts' character in Any Day Now (1998-2002) in which her character was planning to go to college but got pregnant with her high school sweetheart and got married. The show starts decades later. They are still married and have two tween-teen kids. At some point we learn that the child conceived when they were in high school died in a drowning accident at age 5. It's a pretty sad story that they devote some episodes to, but I always got the feeling it was a retcon/means to explain their current ages. Eventually the teenage daughter also gets pregnant by her high school boyfriend. I only remember all this because I just watched it a few years ago. 

So Annie Potts as Memaw always seems like she could still also have lived the life in the other show. 
And now with Georgie's pregnancy plot Arc, I'm getting a lot of déjà  vu.

• Love 1

I've found Mary's faith to be personal to her but ultimately she's understanding in what it means for her family. She's okay with George and Georgie not attending church, understanding of Sheldon's questioning/agnostic leanings (and supportive of his pursuit of science), and she allowed Missy to go to her dance and push some boundaries.

That said, she'll always let you know where she stands. And she probably feels those around her could use a little more Jesus.

• Love 7

I think Mary feels obligated to her religion, since she basically adopted it when the twins were born, as a pact she made that if they both made it, she'd give her life to Jesus. Whether she is happy living like she does, or not, they told us that's where her devotion comes from.

I think it says a lot about her that she took that vow seriously. She really does love her kids, and she really does keep her word. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 4/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, ams1001 said:

"It was PG, so God's cool with it." 🐶

I think that may have been my favorite line of the episode. It reminded me of Sheldon's line in The Big Bang Theory that was something like "Mom smokes in the car. Jesus is cool with it, but don't tell dad."  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2022 at 8:35 PM, ams1001 said:

"It was PG, so God's cool with it." 🐶

I thought it was unusual that an adult would take movie recommendations from a 12 year old.

Is that a dog emoji for the movie Beethoven?

• Love 1
On 4/15/2022 at 5:42 AM, kwnyc said:

I read Asimov's greatest hits, but was not a huge fan.

Isaac Asimov's creativity never failed him. But his writing did go downhill noticeably when he finally switched from his trusty manual typewriter to a word processor. Text editors make padding infinitely easier than having to retype whole pages and chapters to insert later thoughts and ideas.

Georgie has this going for him, his whole family loves him unconditionally. There is no right or wrong way to handle his situation. They'll work it out. I hope.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

It was nice hearing a bit about Connie's deceased husband and that he was an Asimov fan, its too bad that he apparently passed away while Sheldon was still really young. It sounds like they had a lot in common. The Asimov memorable book club was fun, even if Sturgis and Linkletter had to go and make things awkward for Connie. I have always hoped that she and Dr. Sturgis might get back together, now knowing that her husband was a science guy gives their relationship a lot more context. Dale aside, she seems to have a type. 

I really like knowing that Sheldon got his Asimov books from his grandpa, there really is something special about having an interest passed on to you by an older friend or family member. I still remember the Roger Evert book my now deceased uncle gave me when I was a kid, it really sparked my love of movies and now I can think about him whenever I watch any of those movies. 

Georgie is in real trouble. And now we know that Missy will not be lining up for babysitting duty.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
On 4/15/2022 at 8:10 AM, Beden said:

Unless he was lying to sound older.

I think it came up in conversation with Connie, too, though.

On 4/15/2022 at 9:24 PM, ChitChat said:

One thing to remember is that she already had the conversation with Georgie where he learned that she was pregnant with him and that's why she & George got married.

I thought he asked about that and she said he was an early baby.  A really big early baby with a lot of hair.  I don't remember her ever being honest with Georgie about being pregnant when she got married.

25 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't remember her ever being honest with Georgie about being pregnant when she got married.

This came up in a fairly recent episode.  She was talking to him about how bad decisions can have lifelong consequences.

ETA: googled for this and it actually wasn't all that recent.  It was in the Season 3 episode called "Pasadena".  

Edited by SusanM
38 minutes ago, SusanM said:

This came up in a fairly recent episode.  She was talking to him about how bad decisions can have lifelong consequences.

ETA: googled for this and it actually wasn't all that recent.  It was in the Season 3 episode called "Pasadena".  

I don't remember Mary telling Georgie she was pregnant when she got married in that one, but it's been awhile since I've seen it.  Have to watch it again.

7 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I seem to remember it threw him for a loop, but not because he was conceived out of wedlock but because he just couldn't wrap his head around his mother being a former good-time girl.

It was a good episode in that we see Mary and Georgie really connecting.  Which we don't see all that often.  She had a good conversation with him where she made him realize that even though he was an "oops" baby he was wanted and loved.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2022 at 3:20 PM, SusanM said:

It was a good episode in that we see Mary and Georgie really connecting.  Which we don't see all that often.  She had a good conversation with him where she made him realize that even though he was an "oops" baby he was wanted and loved.

Okay, I did see this episode again last night.  I guess I forgot about that conversation for some reason.  It was a really nice moment.  I wish Mary would connect like this with Georgie and Missy more often rather than being so focused on Sheldon.

• Love 1

Finally saw this episode and really liked it - well except that I absolutely HATE the pregnancy storyline.  It used to be common in sitcoms to have oops pregnancies end in a miscarriage so fingers crossed here.  I know that sounds awful but forgodssake can they think of nothing else to do with Georgie's character other than to have him be a high school drop out dealing with a teen pregnancy?  They got nothing else??

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/22/2022 at 6:59 PM, SusanM said:

Finally saw this episode and really liked it - well except that I absolutely HATE the pregnancy storyline.  It used to be common in sitcoms to have oops pregnancies end in a miscarriage so fingers crossed here.  I know that sounds awful but forgodssake can they think of nothing else to do with Georgie's character other than to have him be a high school drop out dealing with a teen pregnancy?  They got nothing else??

It comes off, to me, as "A very special 'Young Sheldon.'"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_special_episode

I always hated those episodes.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 4/14/2022 at 9:09 PM, anna0852 said:

So Georgie is just barely 17? Ooh, this is a rough situation. 

All I could think of thru this dilemma in regards to METOO, is  would happen today. If for some reason, her job etc, it  got in the news, the poor woman would be arrested & charged  & just imagine if it were the other way around. It would be  worse.  The male would be in jail charged with rape  or on the sex offender list. These days you have to see ID. 

Edited by chediavolo