Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Going Home

gaPeach, on 13 Aug 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Didn't Barbie know the guy in charge when the Army was there outside the dome?  Why not call him up and say "Surprise!  Guess who got out of the Dome"? 

The writing is so inconsistent on this show, that plot point has probably been forgotten.

• Love 3

They should have everyone of any importance somehow escape the dome so that Big Jim is left behind with Stoner Asian Asthmatic Kid, Hoarder Lady and the other dopes in that town.

I would actually like to see this.  It would be hilarious to see him try to keep control over all these people who seem to have short-term memory loss.  Asthmatics who run out into dust storms without even bringing their inhalers and women who found out Big Jim tried to give the town swine flu yet still believe everything he says, etc.

Except, did you notice that Sam's right arm had a minor case of the shakes when Pauline asked if he was ok ?  I'm sure that little tidbit of info will rear its head at some point and put the kibosh on the mass exodus out of the dome via the tunnel.

And yet so far they haven't shown Barbie to have any strange effects.  At least not yet.  Of course he was one of the few who resisted the electromagnetic fainting, so maybe he's just more resilient.  *rolls eyes*

IA, it's barely even watchable now.  I hate this whole Lyle/Sam/Melanie/Pauline's/Jr's family bs that we're stuck with.

All I wanted last season for Junior to be killed off but now they've added to his family.  Argh!  And they're all a bunch of nuts on both sides.

Junior's mom's psychiatric problems are so severe she needs to be kept locked up.  Yet, perfectly fine to trust her to teach an art class. And anyone can say they're someone's brother and go up into the secure area.  I was hoping for some deranged patient to strangle Sam as he entered so he would be off the show.

I am confused as to whether or not Pauline was supposed to be an employee.  When they showed her painting that door, she seemed to be in some kind of high-rise apartment.  Now are they saying she's really a patient in a psychiatric ward?  If so, she sure has a lot of freedom to move about, and so does Sam, a visitor who didn't even get asked to show his ID or anything.

• Love 1

I thought that might be it until Julia's "Khaaaaaan!" scream.  Now I think they're just fucking with us.  They have to know.  My question (which i'm not going to go back and rewatch the first season to try to nail down) is where along the line they realized making this into an elaborate parody of spooky TV was the way to go.  From what I remember of the first couple of episodes they were playing it pretty straight. 

Maxine's Fight Club.  If I had to pick the pivotal moment, that would be it.

In general: I couldn't take another second of this drek if weren't for this site's recaps, and its forum, and last but not least, Snookums' recaps.  I'm from the TWoP migration and wish to thank PreviouslyTV for helping me to continue the hard slog of hatewatching such ridiculousness.  I really thought The Following was the nadir of inanely scripted tv but the scribes at UTD have plumbed new depths, bless them.

• Love 5
Maxine's Fight Club.  If I had to pick the pivotal moment, that would be it.

Agreed.  At that moment, the WTFs started flying from my mouth about all the inane antics of these characters, because real people wouldn't behave anything like this in the same situation.

I am confused as to whether or not Pauline was supposed to be an employee.  When they showed her painting that door, she seemed to be in some kind of high-rise apartment.  Now are they saying she's really a patient in a psychiatric ward?  If so, she sure has a lot of freedom to move about, and so does Sam, a visitor who didn't even get asked to show his ID or anything.

I just subjected myself to rewatching a scene to get to the bottom of this.

Lobby of Psychiatric hospital.

SAM: I'm looking for Pauline.

RECEPTIONIST: And you are?

SAM: Her brother.

RECEPTIONIST: I'll get someone to take you up.

SAM: ???

RECEPTIONIST: Your sister is in a locked ward.

Upstairs of Psychiatric hospital.  Sam steps off elevator with orderly.

SAM: Has my sister been here long?

ORDERLY: Place like this, time doesn't exactly mean much.  She's in there.

Inside "Art Therapy" room.

PAULINE: "Let me remind you, this is YOUR vision."

Camera pans to show the class.

-------------

So I'm thinking that maybe this was supposed to be a very awkward misdirect to make us THINK Pauline is a patient.  But SURPRISE!  She's unenthusiastically teaching a class, which she ignores as she reunites with Sam at the front of the classroom, having a lengthy personal conversation that any of them could hear.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

Speaking of Max, her real estate holdings company was named Osiris:

Osiris is an Egyptian god, usually identified as the god of the afterlife, the underworld and the dead.*

Now we get Aktaion Oil Company, Barbie's Dad's company.

In Greek myth, a hunter who, for having seen Diana [Artemis, Goddess of the Moon] bathing, was changed by her into a stag and was torn to pieces by his own hounds.* 

And they have landed in a place called Zenith: 

the highest point reached by a celestial or other object: "the sun was well past the zenith"*

the point in the sky or celestial sphere directly above an observer

the time at which something is most powerful or successful

Soooooo.....  is this dome thing a terranium of the dead, you know, an inverted salad bowl of lost souls?** 

*wikipedia

**a la Lost = purgatory (not 100% sure about that, didn't watch it)

• Love 2

Now we get Aktaion Oil Company, Barbie's Dad's company.

In Greek myth, a hunter who, for having seen Diana [Artemis, Goddess of the Moon] bathing, was changed by her into a stag and was torn to pieces by his own hounds.* )

Awww.  I posted something like this in the Speculation sub-forum, but no one goes there.

I knew I should have posted that here :(

• Love 1

I just subjected myself to rewatching a scene to get to the bottom of this.

Lobby of Psychiatric hospital.

SAM: I'm looking for Pauline.

RECEPTIONIST: And you are?

SAM: Her brother.

RECEPTIONIST: I'll get someone to take you up.

SAM: ???

RECEPTIONIST: Your sister is in a locked ward.

Upstairs of Psychiatric hospital.  Sam steps off elevator with orderly.

SAM: Has my sister been here long?

ORDERLY: Place like this, time doesn't exactly mean much.  She's in there.

Inside "Art Therapy" room.

PAULINE: "Let me remind you, this is YOUR vision."

Camera pans to show the class.

-------------

So I'm thinking that maybe this was supposed to be a very awkward misdirect to make us THINK Pauline is a patient.  But SURPRISE!  She's unenthusiastically teaching a class, which she ignores as she reunites with Sam at the front of the classroom, having a lengthy personal conversation that any of them could hear.

Awkward misdirection is this show's forte.  But I was thinking that dear Pauline is supposed to be a patient who is lucid enough to "teach" other patients.  Oh, and I also love how she has a private and totally bizarre convo with her brother right in front of her students -- they're crazy, who cares!

Anyone else see Barbie watching the protestor or whatever scrubbing the billboard of Aktaion Oil Company, Barbie's Dad's company?  Was that meant to convey it's an evil corp a la Halliburton?  I do wonder though why I wonder about anything on this show when it's clearly been demonstrated over and over that nothing really matters in this world...  there is no external/internal logic to speak of.  Or canon.

• Love 1
Anyone else see Barbie watching the protestor or whatever scrubbing the billboard of Aktaion Oil Company, Barbie's Dad's company?  Was that meant to convey it's an evil corp a la Halliburton?  I do wonder though why I wonder about anything on this show when it's clearly been demonstrated over and over that nothing really matters in this world...  there is no external/internal logic to speak of.  Or canon.

There were Hounds of Diana posters plastered on that sign, houndsofdiana.com is the website/e-mail that Pauline used to contact Junior via e-mail/video message.  Hounds of Diana is supposed to be an alt-news/investigative reporting site, along the lines of Vice.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Nice work ottaDbusdriver.  That could be a springboard for hours of speculation but I just can't, with this show.  It's not going to matter ne

xt week or year anyway.

I think this show is chock a block full of "profound" mythological symbolism.  I wish someone else had the time/energy/will to scrutinize it properly.

That's how I saw it, too, although I'm wouldn't be surprised I was wrong and she actually was a patient somewhere else in the hospital. She's definitely not a patient of the locked ward. That doesn't explain how she faked her death, or what she's doing for an SSN. 

This was my favorite of all the episodes in this season. Not only was there plenty to snark on, such as Joe's, "Something doesn't add up here," or the rebooting of Rebecca and Big Jim's relationship, or the rebooting of Big Jim's relationship with the town, or the rebooting of the pink egg just before it shot out stars, but the stupid town had no stupid plagues! And to top it all off, someone finally got out of the stupid damn Dome. 

I think that Zenith is to Chester's Mill as Eagleton is to Pawnee. 

• Love 1

I really thought The Following was the nadir of inanely scripted tv but the scribes at UTD have plumbed new depths, bless them.

I so want Joe Carroll in the dome.

Thanks for the link Cyranetta, my favorite:

"Rebecca Pine tries to comfort her, but without a hose to spray water on Julia (her solution to every problem) she is out of options."

• Love 3

I think the tank of happy snarky fun ran dry when they decided the storylines inside the container Dome were exhausted:  "Hey, let's extend irrationality and magical thinking to the rest of the world."

Early in the episode I was enjoying my regular UTD cackles when Junior and Drownsie knew they'd find Joe at the locker ". . .because we looked everywhere else."  REALLY?!  Did you check out Mare Winningham's house on that island?  How about those seven pig farms?  Scooby Joe could have stumbled onto the secret stash of whatever BJ's been flying out in the cropduster--betcha didn't look there!

But all the eye-roller nonsense in Zenith, including Barbie's mysterious warmonger prototype father agreeing to pull Pentagon strings because he groks the depth of true love between soulmates. . .blurg.

(Sidenote:  I was so sure Mrs. BJ's latest "primitive art" was a red book that I wondered why there was a red book lying under some leaves in the woods.)

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

I did like having some of them escape the dome so that we can see that yes, there is still a world out there fully aware of the dome, and what the reaction is.  But now I'm afraid that it's all going to get mired with the soap opera between Barbie and his dad, Barbie's old gang repeatedly getting in the way, and the inevitable military/corporate evil villain plot to exploit the dome.  I can see the cliches from a mile away.  And I thought that was a door in the painting and the woods, not a book.

But now I'm afraid that it's all going to get mired with the soap opera between Barbie and his dad...

Like a Shakespearean tragedy, except, fortunately, I doubt any of the writers are familiar with Shakespeare, which, at this point, is a good thing, because that would be bordering on sacrilegious.

In the Season 2 finale, the Dome will probably extend itself to Zenith as well since it loves Barbie so much.

That would be an awesomely creative development. I hope the writers aren't reading this, because we don't want it renewed, do we?
That would be an awesomely creative development. I hope the writers aren't reading this, because we don't want it renewed, do we?

The Dome is probably manipulating the TV ratings as we speak.  

But now I'm afraid that it's all going to get mired with the soap opera between Barbie and his dad...

Daddy-O will probably be cannon fodder.  That actor always plays characters who don't survive for long.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

To hope that this show doesn't get renewed is pure heresy. This is pure summertime comedy gold, people!

UTD was ranked 10th in the week ended August 3. It was the only new scripted show in the top ten - The top 9 was made up of 2 Bachelorettes, 2 America's Got Talent,  one Big Brother, a preseason football game, 60 Minutes, and repeats of NCIS and Big Bang Theory. 

It gotten beaten out by 2 repeats, which should be enough to show the network that it wouldn't do well during the regular season. But it was still in the top ten, so they will probably continue to produce it.  So we should get to keep snarking for another summer. 

However, scripted shows are more costly, but I am thinking that it can't cost must to write UTD - I mean, how much could a high school freshman charge?  Or maybe a middle schooler? 

It wouldn't surprise me to find out this show is (ghost)written by a teenager - the melodrama, the thinking that 2 people would be truly, madly, deeply in love after 2 weeks, the crappy dialogue, the odd emotional responses.  Obviously, it wouldn't be a teenager that was good at science.   

• Love 1

In the Season 2 finale, the Dome will probably extend itself to Zenith as well since it loves Barbie so much.  

It couldn't simply expand, it would just be taking up more territory by pushing everything back out of the way.  The dome would need to lift up out of the ground and then drop back down like a hungry hippo to get Barbie back inside again.  Which would be kind of fun.  I would like to paint the outside of the dome to look like a hippo for this.

Edited by Dobian

However, scripted shows are more costly, but I am thinking that it can't cost must to write UTD - I mean, how much could a high school freshman charge?  Or maybe a middle schooler?

I think there are union rules about paying writers so that shows can't save money that way. I'm sure the kids writing this are either related to writers who are supposed to be doing the work, or to the producers.

• Love 3