Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E11: Top 24 at Disney's Aulani Resort in Hawaii (2)

• Start Topic

Kenedi is going places, I suspect. That beauty and that voice = An offer she couldn't  refuse. IMO. 

I don't see "Barbie" or "Skipper." Should Kenedi pretend she's Frances McDormand?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I can't say that I'm sorry to see Barbie's sister Skipper-- whoops, I mean Kenedi-- gone. I wonder what the backstory is.

I'm curious about that, too. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. 

I think Lady K is officially among my favorite contestants. I really like her. 

• Love 3

Gonna take a wild guess that when CCR wrote "Bad Moon Rising", they never imagined it getting covered on a reality competition show of this sort :p. 

Way to not take any of the advice given to you, dude. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Cameron’s energy and flips might be off the charts but he murdered a CCR classic.  The arrangement seemed too fast and it did nothing to showcase his voice.  A circus act maybe.

Noah and Leah were great.  Also liked the girl whose father played guitar for her at the audition.  Forget her name, Candace?

Never heard of the mentor whose dresses were so tight she had to keep pulling the hips down and adjusting her boobs so they wouldn’t fall out.  She was nice enough.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Cameron’s energy and flips might be off the charts but he murdered a CCR classic.  The arrangement seemed too fast and it did nothing to showcase his voice.  

His version sounded too damn happy. I was sitting here like, "...you get this song is about foreboding danger, right? It's called 'Bad Moon Rising' for a reason?"

Christian sounded pretty nice, I liked him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

This was very different than yesterday.  No one was horrible like Danielle, but I put about half of them into the "Okay" bucket for a variety of reasons.

The Good:

Christian - Leave the Door Open by Silk Sonic WONDERFUL SONG CHOICE the MAN HAS TASTE.

Ava - Tell me Something Good - Chaka Khan & Rufus

Kenedi - Human - Christina Perri  - Oooooooh I like the song choice.  This started off GREAT.  I didn't love the chorus as much but she was the first one after 4 performances that I really liked.  Unfortunately she has this yelly quality.  (Of course she left the competition.  Sigh.  Of course.)

Noah - Blue Mountain?   I obviously hate admitting this, because he's the WGWG American Idol wet dream of the year, but I enjoyed this LOL 

Cameron - Blue Moon Rising Creedence Clearwater Revival.  Is this what cocaine feels like ? I wouldn't know. Anyways, I like him.  Bebe Rexha freaking out about his behaviour on stage was very funny.

Katyrah - Blame it on the boogie - Jackson 5.  Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.  I would never pick a song that is going to suffer from comparisons to the Pitch Perfect version.  I like her though.

Ok:

Lady K - Before he Cheats by Carrie Underwood.  I bet people are really going to like this but ...... she doesn't do it for me.  I don't like how the song got so slowed down.  This song makes me think of the best karaoke nights, and slowing it down kind of kills the fun and energy of that song.

Fritz:  The last guy - Waves by Dean Lewis.  I can't believe they gave him the last spot, really?

Leah Marlene - Call me by Blondie.  I don't think I'm ever going to like her.

Sir Blayke - Breakeven - The Script - I didn't like this song choice for him.  Everything was so....... just there.  Not dynamic enough. I guess Bebe Rexha was right.

Cadence - Etta James - Something's gotta hold on me.  Katy messed with my head because she really DOES look scared!  LOL

Allegra Miles - Adore you - Harry Styles  - I just don't know how I feel about this.  Not enough star power?

The best thing I did was watch this late so I could FF everything except for the performances.  I was able to WHIP through those 2 hours!

I wish all those pregnant girls and women made it into the competition, especially the 8 month blonde pregnant lady and Kelsie.  Wouldn't the babies be here by now?  Men and grandparents exist for a reason.  LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I'm curious about that, too. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. 

I think Lady K is officially among my favorite contestants. I really like her. 

From what I read, she’s friends with a guy that quit at top 24.his social media following grew and he got a deal on his own.  Maybe. She felt that she could get a better deal than what ai was offering.  Or it could be something unrelated.  Whatever it is hope all is ok.

• Useful 1

Oh Cameron. I really wish he would have listened to Bebe. I wonder if he would be able to sustain that level of energy for 2 hours? I just happened to be on IG when I saw he was doing an IG live. I only tuned in for a minute, but he said he should have listened to the advice and that he will try better next time to find a better balance of energy and focusing on his vocals. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, pezgirl7 said:

Oh Cameron. I really wish he would have listened to Bebe. I wonder if he would be able to sustain that level of energy for 2 hours? I just happened to be on IG when I saw he was doing an IG live. I only tuned in for a minute, but he said he should have listened to the advice and that he will try better next time to find a better balance of energy and focusing on his vocals. 

Which is exactly the assurance he made to Bebe in practice. And she was not happy with him after his performance. 

Cameron, I don't love you anymore. Before I saw you as groovin' to the music; now I see you as a goofball who fidgets out of rhythm and sacrifices vocal quality and breath control in the doing.  

Cameron is the guy who isn't  taking this opportunity seriously. 

• Love 6

I'm sure Kenedi was contacted by someone and given an offer.  It's been years since I watched Idol, and I only started just last night when I saw they were at the Aulani.  In the back of my head, I seem to remember reading somewhere years ago that the winner has to sign some restrictive contract.  So maybe this is a better professional opportunity for her.  But why the pressure to sign immediately?  Maybe it was sort of like the Venus Williams contract offer that was only good for one night as depicted in King Richard.  Sign now, or there's no offer.

But why didn't they at least show the judges' comments?  I would have liked to hear the critique.  Did they hate it and cause her to cry?  And that's why she left?  Did they cut it to give the 30 seconds to Ryan to give the postproduction explanation?  Seems odd.

Don't like the Cameron kid.  The over the top energy.  And I hate guys that always run their hands through their hair to push it back.  If it's that long and it's bothering you, then cut it shorter.

• Love 2

I just saw on Cameron’s IG that he does have ADHD, which isn’t really a surprise. I don’t want him to be drugged up to have to perform, so I hope he can find another way to focus. Also saw that he plays the drums pretty well. I wonder if he can sing and play drums at the same time? At least then he wouldn’t be jumping around onstage. lol

• Love 4

It's called 'Bad Moon Rising' for a reason?

Maybe he thinks it's 'There's a bathroom on the right.'

Kenedi got what she wanted out of Idol, lots of exposure and a bunch of new fans, so she's done. It remains to be seen if that was a wise decision, or just pretentious. I thought she was not that great on Human tbh. Went completely off key.

Cadence picked a very ambitious song but didn't quite have the pipes for it.

Ava trying waaay too hard. The beret, yellow eyeliner, the hair, every nail a different color...just no.

Lady K - poor song choice, bad outfit. But she has an udjat tattoo so I want to give her another chance.

I would give Katyrah best performance of the night.

• Love 6

I thought the first episode was better overall but I did like some of these performances. 

The best thing I did was watch this late so I could FF everything except for the performances.  I was able to WHIP through those 2 hours!

That's how I always watch. And that's probably the main reason why I still enjoy this show as much as I do. Once you start just skipping the judges altogether, it's a real treat lol.

ETA: Oh, also, I'm almost over Cameron. His energy is just annoying now.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Kenedi is going places, I suspect. That beauty and that voice = An offer she couldn't  refuse. IMO. 

I don't see "Barbie" or "Skipper." Should Kenedi pretend she's Frances McDormand?

I found Kenedi's voice to be just okay. She is highly marketable, however. She would have fit in perfectly in the late 90s/early 2000s when Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, and the then-blonde Mandy Moore were all vying for who was the cutest young female pop princess. I feel like I've seen her ilk before, so I'm admittedly a bit jaded. Of course you don't have to pretend you're Frances McDormand (who is also attractive  in her own way, IMO), but I don't feel like Kenedi brings us anything we haven't seen before. 

All that said, we don't know the "personal reasons" that lead to her departure. I hope she's okay and that it's because of good news rather than bad.

• Love 2

If Bebe Rexha saw all the rehearsals, wouldn't she have known Cameron was going to reject all of her advice?  She shouldn't have been shocked he ignored her notes.  Also, he sounded terrible and had no clue what that song was about (which happened to a bunch of contestants, like Leah who I think was under the impression Call Me is about an IPhone). 

Kenedi had moments where she was really good but I think the show hyped her up to be this mega-star and she might have gotten it in her head that she was one already.  She even got the original singer of her song to call her directly!  So I'm guessing she got a record deal offer where she will probably put out a single in a couple of years which will go nowhere.  She's not bad, it's just really tough for anyone to have a hit single so the odds are against any of these contestants - but at least they have a weekly TV presence now which Kenedi doesn't.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TheMediumBopper said:

I found Kenedi's voice to be just okay. She is highly marketable, however. She would have fit in perfectly in the late 90s/early 2000s when Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Jessica Simpson, and the then-blonde Mandy Moore were all vying for who was the cutest young female pop princess. I feel like I've seen her ilk before, so I'm admittedly a bit jaded. Of course you don't have to pretend you're Frances McDormand (who is also attractive  in her own way, IMO), but I don't feel like Kenedi brings us anything we haven't seen before. 

All that said, we don't know the "personal reasons" that lead to her departure. I hope she's okay and that it's because of good news rather than bad.

I'm almost 100% there's nothing wrong and that she bailed because she got what she needed. The platinum ticket gave her extra press to start with and then she had a couple weeks of TV exposure (and a free trip to Hawaii), so now she's off to try to make something of whatever opportunities will come to her. 

Kinda sucks that she took a spot from someone else who could have made top 24, but also understandable to try to capitalize on exposure with some independence. Her looks will open doors for her, but whether she'll make it big is a crapshoot, there are lots of beautiful women with good voices, some go the way of Carrie Underwood and others just fade away.

This episode was unremarkable overall. I like Lady K, but I hated that slowed down arrangement of Before He Cheats. I don't like that song anyway, but I especially didn't like the Slo-Jam remix version, it sucked all the power out of it. She should've done the other song, IMO.

I just saw on Cameron’s IG that he does have ADHD, which isn’t really a surprise. I don’t want him to be drugged up to have to perform, so I hope he can find another way to focus. Also saw that he plays the drums pretty well. I wonder if he can sing and play drums at the same time? At least then he wouldn’t be jumping around onstage. lol

My favorite part of the episode was Luke seeking out Cameron's parents and saying "the conversations you must have had with his teachers...", LOL. I'll be curious to see if he makes it through and if anyone can break through his thick skull to help him. He sounded great on the CCR song in the duets round, but this one was a little messy.

I'm fascinated by Allegra Miles, she's got such a particular look, very girl next door with no over-the-top accessories, but then her voice doesn't match her look or personality. It's refreshing to see a young girl without 3 pounds of makeup and fake eyelashes and who seems pretty comfortable with herself. I didn't like her song or the arrangement, but I'm rooting for her to get through anyway. And I feel like her parents owe her an apology for naming her after an allergy medication...

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Alternative thought - I wonder if Kenedi just decided that she wasn't ready to leave her simple, 17 year old high school life behind for the life-changing stardom they practically guaranteed she was headed for.  I could see that pressure being overwhelming to a teenager.  I guess we will find out soon enough if she pops up somewhere else with a different record deal.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I stopped watching Idol because I disliked the judges panel (not them personally, but their so-called "judging" style) and the way voting has been handled in recent seasons. Then the hair salon I go to started posting about Kenedi on their social media, as she is also their client. I sought out her performances online but haven't watched any full episodes. My next appointment isn't for another three weeks, and maybe all will be revealed by then, but if not, I'll see if I can find out any scoop!

I've seen some harsh things written about Kenedi in various places online, and we have to remember that she and many of the contestants are still VERY young. Their choice to participate in the show shouldn't open them up to so much criticism or ridicule. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, neece26 said:

Alternative thought - I wonder if Kenedi just decided that she wasn't ready to leave her simple, 17 year old high school life behind for the life-changing stardom they practically guaranteed she was headed for.  I could see that pressure being overwhelming to a teenager.  I guess we will find out soon enough if she pops up somewhere else with a different record deal.  

She likely left because she has a record deal in the works.  It's why Benson Boone dropped out.  She's 18 - like Lauren Spencer-Smith.  It's a good age to launch a Pop career.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, UrbanShocker said:

If Bebe Rexha saw all the rehearsals, wouldn't she have known Cameron was going to reject all of her advice?  She shouldn't have been shocked he ignored her notes.

Maybe he took her advice for the rehearsal but decided he didn't like it and changed the final performance. Or maybe she wasn't able to make it to every rehearsal.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Oops, double post.

Anyway, to fill this with something else--I hope everyone is right about Kenedi getting signed by a legit label being the reason she withdrew. Success is so random, but I really wish her well. She has a great voice even if she becomes out-of-control at times. I'd much rather hear music from her than someone like Gabby Barrett. *shrug*

Edited by TheGreenKnight

I like Katyrah almost more than Nicolina. Noah is great, too. Although I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as "Stay," it was definitely solid. Allegra was probably my next favorite. Fritz and Sir Blayke were just alright. Lady K was disappointing, think I would've preferred the other song, but I still hope she sticks around.

Katy's face during Cameron's performance was exactly how I felt (same with Tristen on the previous show). Christian was much better than his duet, but he's even worse than Kenedi was as far as overdoing it.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

Someone here coined the bass player from the AI band "sex on a stick" (sorry I don't recall who) and that's STILL all I can think of when I see him years later!

I still say Colin Kaepernick, but a pleasant one.

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I've seen some harsh things written about Kenedi in various places online, and we have to remember that she and many of the contestants are still VERY young. Their choice to participate in the show shouldn't open them up to so much criticism or ridicule. 

If they intend to make show business a career, then they will be opening themselves up to endless scrutiny and critique, that is the trade-off. You can't take the good without the bad, so the idea that no one should be commenting on them because they're young isn't realistic. If they can't take it now with a minimal amount of fame, this is a good time to pivot and go in another direction because the ability to handle criticism and scrutiny does come with the territory.

Katy's face during Cameron's performance was exactly how I felt (same with Tristen on the previous show). Christian was much better than his duet, but he's even worse than Kenedi was as far as overdoing it.

Christian's last note was painful, Luke's face matched mine, he looked like he was sucking a lemon. I don't see him going far because he's awkward and maybe a little too nice. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, SnarkAttack said:

He's 43 and from Michigan.  Joe Ayoub.

image.png.f9bb970550619cf5328cb3e60ee3ec2d.png

Yes, he's a well-respected LA session musician now.  I was surprised yesterday to see him in a video of Ricky Martin in concert in Mexico.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2022 at 11:54 AM, UrbanShocker said:

If Bebe Rexha saw all the rehearsals, wouldn't she have known Cameron was going to reject all of her advice?  She shouldn't have been shocked he ignored her notes.  Also, he sounded terrible and had no clue what that song was about (which happened to a bunch of contestants, like Leah who I think was under the impression Call Me is about an IPhone). 

Kenedi had moments where she was really good but I think the show hyped her up to be this mega-star and she might have gotten it in her head that she was one already.  She even got the original singer of her song to call her directly!  So I'm guessing she got a record deal offer where she will probably put out a single in a couple of years which will go nowhere.  She's not bad, it's just really tough for anyone to have a hit single so the odds are against any of these contestants - but at least they have a weekly TV presence now which Kenedi doesn't.

I think Kenedi's first pro single will come out as soon as or shortly after Idol crowns the 2022 winner.

I further think she's  working on it right now. 

19 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I like Katyrah almost more than Nicolina. Noah is great, too. Although I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as "Stay," it was definitely solid. Allegra was probably my next favorite. Fritz and Sir Blayke were just alright. Lady K was disappointing, think I would've preferred the other song, but I still hope she sticks around.

How did Kenedi "overdo... it"? Do you mean that long note she held? That girl could have acted sassy, vampy (not vampire-y!), sultry (she's 18 now, Lionel), coy, cutesy, or a host of other ways to showcase her looks. Instead, she stood at the mic, sang seriously, and made two gestures---to her heart, a la Celine but not as dramatic. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Useful 1

Maybe I am on an island (definitely not Oahu sadly) by myself, but I cannot stand Leah or Fritz. At all. Fritz's slurry whiny emo voice and anguished facial expressions - I am over it. And Leah - the sound of her nasally high pitched voice is just nails on a chalk board, and her oh so quirky personality bugs me so much.

My favorites this round were Ava, Katyrah and Christian. Noah is a lock to win this thing IMO - he fits the Idol machine winner prototype to a T. So boring though. I liked what Allegra did with the Harry Styles song and she has a cool tone to her voice, but her lane is crowded and I don't know if she can stand out. 

Sir Blake picked the wrong song, and so did Lady K. I think the Carrie Underwood just ended up being decent karaoke. Her other choice would have made her stand out more. Bad advice from Bebe.

OTOH, good advice to Cameron which he completely ignored. He has a cool voice, but I am already getting tired of the frantic running around and back flips.

Too bad about Kennedi - I am wondering if they will just eliminate 3 or still 4 now?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

They'll eliminate 3 to get to a Top 20.

I also find Leah irritating as hell. I love Fritz though. Sorry, I love a WGWG lol.

I too love a WGWG - just not Fritz or Noah ;-p

I think overall the girls are stronger this season. It would be nice if one of them (Nicolina please!) could break through.

• Love 4

Will someone please tell Allegra Miles to enunciate!!???  She did the same thing on the Voice and no coach/mentor has ever been shown telling her to enunciate.  I can't deal with the mush mouth.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, alalaxmom said:

Will someone please tell Allegra Miles to enunciate!!???  She did the same thing on the Voice and no coach/mentor has ever been shown telling her to enunciate.  I can't deal with the mush mouth.

How far did she get on The Voice?

• Useful 1
On 4/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, peachmangosteen said:

How far did she get on The Voice?

She was on Season 18. She was on Nick Jonas’ team and was eliminated from the Top 9 when they went down to the top 5. 

• Useful 2