Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Hello, Losers

Aulty
  • Start Topic

They should have ended it with Villanelle watching Eve dancing after killing the 12. Done. Everyone gets to let their own imagination decide what happens. I always liked Carolyn but would have preferred seeing her end up dead. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

I've never liked Carolyn nor the actor playing her.

I'm the opposite. I really enjoyed both on this show.

They should have ended it with Villanelle watching Eve dancing after killing the 12. Done.

That could have been an interesting way to end it.

• Love 4

Well, at least Pam didn’t off that sweetly attentive carnival guy.

Was Irina in the phone conversation with Konstantin played by the same actress? She sounded a lot older than Irina would be and I don’t think this show has made substantial time jumps.

I think that the “Who killed Kenny?” reveal may have possibly been held back for the spin-off. Carolyn using her M16 clout to get her revenge.

Edited by TimWil
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, william0102 said:

I say we all start reading the books lol.

I've read the first 2 and while I thought the first was okay-ish, I was more impressed by how Phoebe managed to craft such a compelling and clever variation on them. I don't recall it having any of the depth or humor of the first season. 

The 2nd one was hot garbage. 

I may read the 3rd just to put my love for these characters to bed (so to speak 😉) but you should not expect great literature. But I'm down for a Primetimer KE book club! 🤓

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

No, people online are just upset that they killed Villanelle, after letting her be happy with Eve for all of five minutes, and I totally agree with them.  I'm on their side.

And I am with you on that point, to a certain extent. I just think my investment in a happy ending for any of these characters sort of peaked at the end of season 3 and then the delay didn't help.

Do I think they should have had Eve and Villanelle reconcile and start working together MUCH earlier while simultaneously grappling with their feelings? ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY. It was such a wasted opportunity. They should have spent less time on Pam and Gunn and showcased the main characters more. 

But overall, I'm okay with the ending. Even without seeing any spoilers, I had a feeling one or both of them would die. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but personally my disappointment with this season has very little to do with the last episode and how it all ended.  I really didn't care if Eve and V got together or not.  It makes no sense to me that they did, but it barely impacted my view of the season.  Same with who lived or died.  Like I said in my post above, I was sort of expecting them to do a Thelma and Louise in the RV.  My disappointment comes from the season, as a whole, just being a plot hole ridden mess.  Nothing made sense, we were never given a reason for why anyone was hunting The Twelve, or motivations for anything that was going on through the season.  Characters did thing totally out of character, left and right, for no apparent reason. 

My question for those who liked this season:  Do you understand what was going on (see my post above with several WTF questions as to plot and character)?   If so, for god's sake, please enlighten me.  Not as to your speculation or fanwanking, but actual real answers that came from the show itself.   I'm happy to admit if I just missed things.  

• Love 18
2 hours ago, chaifan said:

Maybe it's just me, but personally my disappointment with this season has very little to do with the last episode and how it all ended.  I really didn't care if Eve and V got together or not.  It makes no sense to me that they did, but it barely impacted my view of the season.  Same with who lived or died.  Like I said in my post above, I was sort of expecting them to do a Thelma and Louise in the RV.  My disappointment comes from the season, as a whole, just being a plot hole ridden mess.  Nothing made sense, we were never given a reason for why anyone was hunting The Twelve, or motivations for anything that was going on through the season.  Characters did thing totally out of character, left and right, for no apparent reason. 

I was thoroughly disgusted by this whole final season and particularly this finale.

I wanted to know the same things as you’ve mentioned.

After all this, who was still in The Twelve? Whomever was left was killed by Villanelle but we don’t get much of a look at who they are. We don’t know their whole motivation for being “The Twelve” at all, other than having learned they started as a 70s group of young people trying to be what? Revolutionaries?

Why? How did they last through decades? Why were their enemies their enemies? What was their purpose? Did they have a mission or were they just hanging out, being Twelvish and ordering hits?

I ADORED the first season. Personally I didn’t care at all about Eve and Villanelle having a relationship. I was intrigued by the spy stuff, the assassinations we didn’t see coming, like Bill. If I were Eve I’d hate Villanelle for that, as well as for Niko’s murder.

I also loved Konstantin. My favorite character. I liked Carolyn until this last episode.

Mostly in the first season, I found Villanelle intriguing. So stylish and such a clever and remorseless assassin. 

For me there is no closure. Why did Irina call her father? What did that add to the show? Or was it to telegraph  that Konstantin would die?

Why waste time with Pam and Gunn? They’re new, I don’t care about them, I wanted some sensible answers about what I’ve watched for four seasons, and waited two long years for the final season to arrive.

If this show runner thinks that Eve’s scream was a triumphant scream then she truly has no idea about these characters.  From what I see she was more interested in her vision of iconography—- how about that scene of Eve and Villanelle’s fingers not able to touch at the end? It was posed just like Michelangelo’s The Creation of Adam in the Sistine Chapel, where God’s touch is about to give life to Adam. But here Eve can’t touch Villanelle and she dies instead. And Tower Bridge opening above when Villanelle dies, right beneath where Eve and Villanelle parted on the bridge two seasons ago.

So much more to complain about so I’ll remind myself this is just a TV show and shut up.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Arkay said:

For me there is no closure. Why did Irina call her father? What did that add to the show?

It told the viewer that Konstantin had no family member that would miss him.

9 hours ago, Arkay said:

Or was it to telegraph  that Konstantin would die?

Bingo!

9 hours ago, Arkay said:

If this show runner thinks that Eve’s scream was a triumphant scream then she truly has no idea about these characters.  

I thought it was a scream of profound grief.

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:
10 hours ago, Arkay said:

If this show runner thinks that Eve’s scream was a triumphant scream then she truly has no idea about these characters.  

I thought it was a scream of profound grief.

Same, and it's obvious (to me, at least) that Sandra Oh felt the same.

• Love 12

My understanding was that they (Carolyn and Eve) were assigned by M6 in season 1 to find/break up "The Twelve".  And in their convoluted 4 seasons, they finally did that, with Villanelle eventually joining with Eve.  Although Carolyn and Eve were on entirely different paths to achieve the same goal.  But, who is Yousef, and how did he get involved with Eve?  Was he also employed by M6?  Was Eve still employed/being paid by M6?  

And the makeout/sex session after just having peed together?? Just ewwww.

• Love 1

While I applaud the show for trying to give different women the chance to be show runners each season, the show suffered by lack of consistency and differing visions.  If Phoebe Waller-Bridge had stayed the entire time, the show would have been the better for it.

• Love 17

I wasn't all that surprised that Villenelle died after killing off what was left of The Twelve - in a way it was like a "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword" moment.    In the first season she was a totally psychopathic remorseless killer and somewhere along the line she became a character that we started to root for (due to a combo of writing and Jodi Comer's amazing portrayal).   My take is that Eve started off as a decent person and got sucked into the dark side and Villenelle was like her shadow side.  The rainbow to the beige.    I actually liked the scene on the boat where Eve is having such fun at the party and Villenelle is almost radiant while killing off the Twelve (or what was left of them).   Frankly, there was no way that relationship was meant to last.  Villenelle "freed" Eve in one way but imprisoned her in another.   It was interesting that the people left standing (so to speak) at the end were Eve (who started out on the side of "right"), Carolyn (who also probably started out as one of the good guys but is now in some sort of grey area and maybe is trying to get back to the good side) and Pam who got sucked into the dark side and had the luck (Helene being killed) and sense to get out before it was too late.  

In a way, I wish that Konstanin had lived but he had contributed too much to the dark side to survive.  I liked Carolyn and the actress really nailed the part.  If the spin off is going to be about Carolyn (present day, not the young version) I'd probably watch it.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, roughing it said:

But, who is Yousef, and how did he get involved with Eve?  Was he also employed by M6?  Was Eve still employed/being paid by M6?  

Eve left MI-6 at the end of the third season, I believe, to work for a private security firm. Yousef is an employee there. From what he's said this season, I think he's ex-military.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

After watching that ending I have to assume that we, the viewers, are the losers referred to in the title.

Too bad subsequent seasons could not live up to the greatness of season one. I felt like style and cleverness in orchestrating deaths took precedence over story as the episodes went on.  The actors and fans deserved better.

• Love 14
50 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Eve left MI-6 at the end of the third season, I believe, to work for a private security firm. Yousef is an employee there. From what he's said this season, I think he's ex-military.

Really?  Because that must have been one of the things I missed.  I wondered who was paying her travel bills, for the nice hotel rooms, new outfits, etc.  So that just adds another question to the mix - what "private security firm" had an interest in seeing The Twelve killed off? 

Also, as a total aside, how do you get hired in with a "private security firm" as essentially a paid assassin?  It's not like you can give references for something like that.  You can't even really tell them what you've done, since you have no idea if the "interview" is an undercover operation or whatnot.  Sorry, these are the things I think of during shows like this.  I've been in the HR arena waaaayyyy too long!  😁

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PurpleFishHead said:

I skipped some episodes. What happened to Yousef?

He survives.

He leaves after he takes her to karaoke (where she hallucinates her dead friends and husband) because he realizes he can't help her figure her shit out.

12 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

What did Carolyn say into the walkie talkie at the end? I watched it twice and couldn’t make it out.

"Jolly good."

(Closed captions have been my friend when watching this show.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"Jolly good."

(Closed captions have been my friend when watching this show.)

Even with my closed captions turned on, the typists were like "I have no fucking idea."  They just left it blank, up to my interpretation.  I probably rewound it 10 times.  So annoying.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3

so glad this series is over.  I couldn't stand to keep watching what this had become.  I was confused all through this  season.  Villanelle and the whole religious bit was stupid.  Carolyn defecting WTF?  Eve with some guy we'd never seen before.  and finally, what seems to be the current trope--the lesbian trysts.  I have nothing against lesbians, but it's so over done these days.  and we are supposed to believe that Eve can be with someone who killed so many people who Eve supposedly cared about?  the only good parts were what Villanelle was wearing in some of the episodes.  except for this season, I like Fiona Shaw and the character she played.  would watch her in another show.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, watch2much said:

so glad this series is over.  I couldn't stand to keep watching what this had become.  I was confused all through this  season.  Villanelle and the whole religious bit was stupid.  Carolyn defecting WTF?  Eve with some guy we'd never seen before.  and finally, what seems to be the current trope--the lesbian trysts.  I have nothing against lesbians, but it's so over done these days.  and we are supposed to believe that Eve can be with someone who killed so many people who Eve supposedly cared about?  the only good parts were what Villanelle was wearing in some of the episodes.  except for this season, I like Fiona Shaw and the character she played.  would watch her in another show.

I have to agree - this season was kind of a clusterfuck.  I understood why they introduced Pam but it didn't become apparent until the final episode.  Had no idea why they had Gunn - it just seemed like a waste of time and an excuse for Eve to gouge somebody's eyes and Villenelle to get in a good quip.   That young twerp (the guy who now seemed to be Carolyn's boss or handler or whatever) seemed to be there for some odd comic relief.   And did anybody else scratch their head why they had Anton Lesser do like a 2 minute cameo?  

I totally agree with the person upthread who said that they could have condensed this into a two hour movie.  With all of the commercials, each episode was a bit over 30 minutes (yeah, there were A LOT of commercials).   With keeping the ending they gave us, two hours would have probably been more than enough.  

• Love 5

I think Carolyn's handler was Hugo (maybe I have the name wrong), and I think he is the one who killed Carolyn's son Kenny.    I think he was part of the 12 also, and therefore died at the Villanelle slaughter on the boat.   Kenny would never have gone on the roof with Villanelle, or Konstantin, but Hugo (I hope I got that name right) worked with Carolyn, and seemed rather harmless.  

In my mind, I'm cancelling the shooting at the end, and imagine Eve and Villanelle moving to Finland, or Paris or Barcelona, and we never hear from them again.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

The "Hello Losers" title was speaking directly to anyone who fell for watching Season 3. I wanted it to come back after Season 2, but clearly the writers were lost in attempting to continue this series in the same way as the previous seasons, with way more over-the-top, unnecessary senseless violence to even enjoy. The killing of the Twelve in the finale was especially stupid. I too was screaming like Eve at the end, but at the sheer stupidity of the S03 storyline. I didn't care about any one of the main characters anymore. They were disgusting. Except Konstantin. I loved him. ;)

• Love 7
On 4/11/2022 at 6:46 PM, MicheleinPhilly said:

I've read the first 2 and while I thought the first was okay-ish, I was more impressed by how Phoebe managed to craft such a compelling and clever variation on them. I don't recall it having any of the depth or humor of the first season. 

The 2nd one was hot garbage. 

I may read the 3rd just to put my love for these characters to bed (so to speak 😉) but you should not expect great literature. But I'm down for a Primetimer KE book club! 🤓

I am struggling through the first book. The descriptions are literally just: name ten landmarks at the location setting. I don't care for location information when I'm reading because 1, I've never been to these places, and 2, I never will end up going to these places. So if you're telling me about three towers, a river that's a kilometer and walking down this bridge takes me to x street- you are wasting my time because I need more of a physical description of these places, or whomever's pov that we're reading better have some emotional response to a place to get me to care about it.

The plot isn't horrible, and at least the writer has taken the time to consider how Villanelle would get away with her crimes. I'm about halfway through, so to anyone else who is trying to read, or deciding on if they are going to read: It gets better once you get through the first 30 pages. The one thing I'm really hoping for is a deeper look at Villanelle's need for killing. The author's addressed it a couple times, saying that V feels it's the rush of emotions that others get during/after sex, and there's been a reference to how Konstantin assumes that V is ready kill again because her eyes look alive. So here's to hoping the author provides us with a deeper look in the rest of the book/s.

• Useful 5
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Carolyn's handler was Hugo (maybe I have the name wrong), and I think he is the one who killed Carolyn's son Kenny.    I think he was part of the 12 also, and therefore died at the Villanelle slaughter on the boat.   Kenny would never have gone on the roof with Villanelle, or Konstantin, but Hugo (I hope I got that name right) worked with Carolyn, and seemed rather harmless.  

His name is indeed Hugo. But Hugo was a paper pusher just like Eve in season 2 and was shot in a hotel in Rome in the season finale. He was nowhere to be seen in season 3 but indicated to Carolyn in the season 4 premiere that he had received a "promotion" of sorts for being shot. He was not a member of the 12. 

It was very clearly established in season 3 that Konstantin was responsible for Kenny's death and Carolyn's overriding question this season was just WHO ordered his death. Of course, we the audience never got an answer to that question. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

It was very clearly established in season 3 that Konstantin was responsible for Kenny's death and Carolyn's overriding question this season was just WHO ordered his death. Of course, we the audience never got an answer to that question. 

I think she could understand Konstantin following orders more than she could Konstantin doing it just to save his own skin. So she plowed forward with her mission even thought it was pointless. After reading the letter she mentions loyalty being overrated unless it's to her; Konstantin should have been loyal enough to her that he wouldn't have gone after Kenny, especially of his own accord. Maybe killing V and for all she knew Eve was her ultimate rejection of loyalty since loyalty got her nowhere in terms of keeping Kenny. (I still don't like that ending but I can conceptualize it, a bit...)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BingeyKohan said:

I think she could understand Konstantin following orders more than she could Konstantin doing it just to save his own skin. So she plowed forward with her mission even thought it was pointless. After reading the letter she mentions loyalty being overrated unless it's to her; Konstantin should have been loyal enough to her that he wouldn't have gone after Kenny, especially of his own accord. Maybe killing V and for all she knew Eve was her ultimate rejection of loyalty since loyalty got her nowhere in terms of keeping Kenny. (I still don't like that ending but I can conceptualize it, a bit...)

Yeah, I've always viewed Konstantin as the messenger rather than someone who actually made any decisions. He was essentially a lackey for the leadership, handling the girls, letting them know what their missions were, etc. 

In the Variety panel I posted in the media thread, Fiona Shaw made an interesting comment that to me seemed really significant in light of now having seen the whole season. She said that all Carolyn wanted was to get her old job back, for Eve to come back to working with her, and for Eve to be nice to her or like her again. The last bit was said sort of tongue in cheek, but it really struck me in hindsight. Although if she thinks that by ordering the hit on Villanelle, Eve will suddenly come crawling back to her and MI-6, Carolyn is more cuckoo for cocoa puffs than Gunn was. 

• Love 2

I really thought I had learned my lesson when I shook my fist at the TV during the final episode of Lost.

Because of that and also because of streaming, I've prided myself on being very careful about what I waste my time on. For instance, I've only seen the first seasons of Stranger Things and Big Little Lies. Why? I thought the first seasons ended perfectly. To me, there was no more story to tell. Despite there being more seasons added to both shows, I don't regret never continuing my watch.

I should have done the same thing with Killing Eve. The first season was so superior, so amazing, so mind-blowing, that I couldn't wait for Season Two. Despite my disappointment, I hung on .... and now I'm kinda pissed that I did.

• Love 11
On 4/13/2022 at 10:41 PM, william0102 said:

The plot isn't horrible, and at least the writer has taken the time to consider how Villanelle would get away with her crimes. I'm about halfway through, so to anyone else who is trying to read, or deciding on if they are going to read: It gets better once you get through the first 30 pages.

I read the first one.  Sort of a combination of a Daniel Silva and a Jena DeLeon. With more sex. (Maybe I haven't rabbit holed down enough modern mystery writers?)

I liked Villanelle at the beginning.  Eve just wasn't that well developed. Assignment. Murder, escape. Ho hum.

I also had the second e-book out of the library, and read three pages into it and decided I didn't care about any of them. So returned it and nobody was waiting for it understandably.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2022 at 9:26 AM, TVbitch said:

...um ....er ....uh..

The showrunner seems to be suggesting that I should be thrilled that Eve is finally free from V and can now have an amazing new life. All I saw all season was Eve chasing after V, sending mixed signals, finally embracing her feelings for her, but still choosing to do her suicidal "kill the 12" mission for whatever reason (but have V do the heavy lifting there, while she had fun). 

Ugh. Honestly, I thought they all deserved to die. 

This! And if this was somewhat true to the books, I would have hated for V to brutally murder Bill,etc. and she and Eve have a happy ending....truly hated, so needless to say I WON'T be reading the books. 

• Love 1

For Gunn to be such an ace assassin Eve sure made quick work of her. Or so she thought. Gunn's probably not one they should've left alive.

Eve gleefully doing the Electric Slide at a wedding reception while Villanelle was taking 45 seconds to kill the 12 was not something I would've ever expected. Sure hope that wasn't meant to be Killing Eve's nod to the Red Wedding.

So did Carolyn only intend to kill Villanelle or did she assume Eve was dead too?

Tarot cards. Can't trust 'em as far as you can throw 'em. 🙄

Well, that was a let down for me. Game of Thrones, you're off the hook. Killing Eve has taken your prize for Most Disappointing Ending After a Mostly Poor Final Season.

• Love 3

Killing Eve has taken your prize for Most Disappointing Ending After a Mostly Poor Final Season.

Lost and How I Met Your Mother still co-hold that title for me.

There are so many unresolved issues from the finale, that I suspect the speculation about a TV movie, or a couple of more episodes is right. 

The ending did feel a bit more like a season finale rather than a series finale.

• Love 2

Okay, this showrunner wasn't even original to how she ended the series.

Spoiler

I finished up the second book, which ends with V and Eve having figured out that their employers are going to kill them. Because Eve's boss is part of the 12, the one who brought her in, like Carolyn. Guess what neither of them died. I don't really want to spoil the ending, but my god, the last show runner had the perfect ending (for most viewers) handed to her, and she effed it up.

The second book was okay, faster plot wise than the first (thank god). I didn't care for the back and forth switching between Eve and V's povs. Sometimes, there was literally one paragraph about V, then two about Eve, and then it switched back for another couple paragraphs. I get it, the writer was going for suspense, and most likely trying to cut down the time the reader has to spend with the Nazis. But I don't think it helped this man with his descriptions any. Switching every chapter would have been fine, and likely would have forced him to develop more of Eve's pov, or even showing her deteriorating relationship with Nico better. So yeah, if you like modern crime thrillers, this is as good as any other- I've read worse that were bestsellers.

Also, I swear if I have to read one more line about V's breasts, I'm punching the next cis male writer I see. And for some reason the third book starts off in first person. I'm hoping it's only for a few chapters, but I doubt it.

Edited by william0102
first time using spoilers
  • Love 2

This season was jarring from the get go. S3 ended with longing and V trying to do the right thing. And then in the 1st ep of S4 Eve slaps Villanelle?! BS. The writers weren’t faithful to the characters. We’ve all known they love each other and there was a push/pull aspect to their relationship. That ending was a big FU to the fans. I didn’t need to see them in a cabin in Alaska being all domestic. I just wanted to see them drive off together, finally happy in that moment. And left to or imagination.

• Like 1

Something EXTREMELY WEIRD.  Has anyone seen Pitch Perfect 3?

You might want to check out this fight scene.

It's 2 scenes that keep interchanging.  The Bellas all doing a routine to "Toxic", while Rebel Wilson beats up a bunch of guys on a cruise ship down below.  Sound familiar?  Rebel's fight scenes are even lit in blue.

I know that this will sound crazy, but it seems like Killing Eve just directly lifted this idea?!

On 4/11/2022 at 7:23 PM, TimWil said:

I think that the “Who killed Kenny?” reveal may have possibly been held back for the spin-off. Carolyn using her M16 clout to get her revenge.

[Two years later ...] I thought I heard Konstantin say something to the effect of Kenny was about to be framed for treason and Konstantin offered him a way out that involved joining the bad guys, and Kenny chose to leap off the roof rather than pick either option. If that's true, that would be a nice fit with the world Caroline inhabits and allowed her son to join.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, watch2much said:

Villanelle and the whole religious bit was stupid. 

Yes, it was. It smelled like a writer trying to be clever and different.

On 4/11/2022 at 10:48 PM, chaifan said:

Nothing made sense, we were never given a reason for why anyone was hunting The Twelve, or motivations for anything that was going on through the season. 

Not only that, but the more we learned about the 12, the less scary they were. A bunch of failed 70s radicals? Were doing what, exactly, by assassinating various people?

On 4/12/2022 at 1:25 AM, Arkay said:

I read reviews of the final season after watching it. What the showrunner thought was depicted was laughable. There was nothing, nothing at all, that positioned Eve as ready to "reclaim her life" before the boat scene. She was still following V, she was still using violence, she was still lying and faking her way through life (as a minister at a wedding?). I'm not sure what Eve reclaimed. What I heard was a scream of frustration. Or maybe that was just me.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:26 PM, jqdeco said:

They should have ended it with Villanelle watching Eve dancing after killing the 12. Done. Everyone gets to let their own imagination decide what happens.

I would have preferred that.

• Like 1