Type keyword(s) to search

S47.E17: Jake Gyllenhaal / Camila Cabello

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

(My mom can certainly say she has a son who has a friend)

As a mom who has a son who has a friend, I guess I should thank him for validating my existence.

Was I the only one waiting for them to include scarves in the set decoration?  Who has that thing anyway?

11 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Since they were doing some historic firsts they really should have had Kamala in the cold opening for some jokes, but I guess Maya was unavailable and they decided they wanted a bunch of dead people.  Plus they really missed having RBG's advice to be to NOT serve for life unless you want to gamble that your successor won't share the same philosophy.

There was a lot they could have talked about with RBG, namely that she barely ever hired black clerks. The choice not to do that made her insertion feel very hollow to me and like they were just going for a crowd reaction in what was otherwise a tonally very different sketch. Overall I thought the sketch was pleasant enough, and I appreciated having just Chris, Punkie, Kenan and Ego getting the LFNY, but the sketch being written solely by white writers may have been another issue. I have to admit I did not miss Maya's Kamala because it would have become all about her, but you're right about her absence. 

https://www.indy100.com/news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-memorial-clerks-black-hiring-supreme-court-9714436

The writers for the week:

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

There was a lot they could have talked about with RBG, namely that she barely ever hired black clerks. The choice not to do that made her insertion feel very hollow to me and like they were just going for a crowd reaction in what was otherwise a tonally very different sketch. Overall I thought the sketch was pleasant enough, and I appreciated having just Chris, Punkie, Kenan and Ego getting the LFNY, but the sketch being written solely by white writers may have been another issue. I have to admit I did not miss Maya's Kamala because it would have become all about her, but you're right about her absence. 

https://www.indy100.com/news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-memorial-clerks-black-hiring-supreme-court-9714436

The writers for the week:

Totally appreciate you bringing this up and all your points here.  I was waiting for someone to say something.

The sketch was so corny.

I'm happy about Judge Jackson also, but ugh, this sketch - hollow was a great word for it thank you.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I know it’s a joke for a 10-year-old, but I really liked during Update when Michael was reporting how numerous people allegedly got sick from a bad batch of Lucky Charms cereal and sang “That’s tragically suspicious!” to the tune of the Lucky Charms jingle.

The therapist sketch had some issues that held it back, but I did like when Ego was accusing Punkie of texting “Clarissa”; Punkie denied it, and Jake was on the floor, still with Punkie’s phone in hand and pipes up, “Actually you did text Clarissa.”  That type of joke when someone just doesn’t know when to stop talking is pretty funny to me.

What Kind OF Issues Held Back The Therapist Sketch ? 

They obviously won't going to include anything that wasn't complimentary about RBG. That would've worked against what they were going for, which was her as an inspirational figure to women. There may be a time and place for a tougher look at her record, but I really don't think that sketch was it. And I'm not at all sure Kate would had been down for that either. Just my two cents. 

I knew Sarah Sherman had a big hand in writing that Chucky sketch. That's the kind of stuff it sounds she was known for pre-SNL. Before reading about her background and resume, I never realized "Comedy Horror" was a whole sub-genre for improv/sketch performers.   

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Jody said:

What Kind OF Issues Held Back The Therapist Sketch ? 

I guess that I was just trying to single out one highlight of that sketch while also not holding the sketch up as one of my favs of the season or anything like that, since it wasn’t a laugh a minute.

If I were to dissect it (and to paraphrase EB White, kill the joke in the process), I would say they tried to diffuse the “domestic gun violence” angle by Ego showing up with a Super Soaker, but she did also say in the sketch at one point that she was going to go get her “real gun,” so that angle was always there in the background.

I know the point of the sketch was to contrast what these calm, rational therapists tell their patients in session with the messy relationship drama they could probably encounter in real life, but it did put me off-balance, not knowing where this gun violence angle was going.  I’m not offended; I just didn’t think it was hilarious.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, vb68 said:

They obviously won't going to include anything that wasn't complimentary about RBG. That would've worked against what they were going for, which was her an as inspirational figure to women. There may be a time and place for a tougher look at her record, but I really don't think that sketch was it. And I'm not at all sure Kate would had been down for that either. Just my two cents. 

Oh, I definitely don't think it would have worked in the sketch, and I don't think Kate would have played it. I understand why many people love RBG and I have seen how moved some of them were by Kate's brief return to the role. I just wish they had not included her in this sketch. I can see where just focusing on past historical figures remarking on lack of progress might have been too depressing for a historic occasion, but...I'm not sure, I wish this had had a few more passes around the writing room. 

Still, it was one of the better cold opens of the season, and I am happy for Ego that she got to play KBJ, and for Ego, Punkie, Chris and Kenan that they got to have that little moment for LFNY. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I just wish they had not included her in this sketch. I can see where just focusing on past historical figures remarking on lack of progress might have been too depressing for a historic occasion, but...I'm not sure, I wish this had had a few more passes around the writing room. 

That's fair. I did see in some of the news coverage that direct comparisons are already being made between the two highlighting the three initials, and even putting "Notorious" in front of KBJ. They weren't wrong with the line about people wearing buttons saying KBJ. So for me, it seemed like an easy choice.   

• Love 3
On 4/10/2022 at 1:01 AM, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: "One campaign promise down, 74 to go!" Justice Jackson meets the ghost of RBG! Eh, it's a way to get a Ginsburn one more time. I liked how Thurgood Marshall (oh thank God it was him), Harriet Tubman (Punkie in a sketch!) and Jackie Robinson showed up, too! This one was at least sweet and kinda wholesome. Hey, it's definitely history we're seeing here.

I wanted to like this sketch because, as you say, it was sweet and kinda wholesome, but it wasn't particularly funny.  Which is a negative on a comedy show for me.

The Chuckie, Flowers and Cowboy sketch were all weird and major fails.  As someone else said, the trucker song sketch was not good, and then El Chapo showed up, which was kinda hysterical.

The Instagram sketch, on the other hand, was comedy gold.  I wanted the therapy sketch to be better than it was, but it was funny.  And Weekend Update continues to be the highlight of the show.

It's a shame more of the actual sketches weren't funnier since Jake Gyllenhaal clearly has a good comedic touch.

The music: I liked the first song, and really coveted Camilla Cabello's boots; the second song, not so much, and what the hell was she wearing for that one?

On 4/10/2022 at 2:16 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

(Meanwhile, his new movie Ambulance which opened this weekend appears to be a flop. Oh well.)

Considering it looks stupid as shit, I'm not surprised.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

As a gardener, I am acutely aware of how plants put their sex organs on display while animals try to hide ours, and it's always amused me. So I appreciated the flower sketch, though I agree with all the people who find the spraying of the ensemble with whatever is just not for me. You can be funny without being gross, but SNL has always seemed to have a thing for disgustingness.

I didn't know about RBG's track record on hiring. That's very disappointing info. I think it would have been better to leave her out of the sketch, but I'm betting the show didn't know, either. 

I didn't know about RBG's track record on hiring. That's very disappointing info. I think it would have been better to leave her out of the sketch, but I'm betting the show didn't know, either. 

I feel pretty confident the people at SNL did know. It was widely discussed after she died, particularly by people who were angry she had refused to resign back when her replacement could've been someone who was more in line with her views. I suspect Kate McKinnon and the show likely ignore that fact because Kate's portrayal of RBG is farcical and still gets laughs from the audience.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Useful 1

I noticed something about this turkey of an episode. An acting tic of sorts. Jake was doing it, but so were some of the cast members, even long-time vets. When the material is weak (as so much of it was), they try to compensate by talking louder and opening their eyes wider and generally going "bigger" on the facial expressions, as if that will make it funnier. They really try to "sell" it, though of course the effect is to accomplish the opposite. You can smell the desperation.

• Love 2
On 4/10/2022 at 1:17 PM, ahisma said:

The Doc Holliday sketch showed me it’s too soon for me to see people coughing,

sneezing, and spreading bodily fluids around. Maybe “ever” would be too soon. Just… no. 

yeah, covid has left me not wanting to see this ever again........fast forwarded to the end of that sketch

• Love 2

Seriously why does Aristotle never get any air time? Has he pissed Lorne off? He’s like the Lauren of this year. if he didn’t have Angelo we’d never see him and the Angelo sketches never even make it to the live show.

Does Cecily have it written into her contract that she should get at least two songs per episode?

Chris Redd is really coming into his own. He can elevate a sketch with a simple facial expression and one liner. He’s hilarious. 

• Love 2

I thought Chris Redd came into his own a while back. I can always count on him to make a sketch better.

As for Aristotle, I really want to see him in a bigger role in a sketch other than Angelo. I'm very curious about him. I remember when Alex Moffat joined the show, I wasn't impressed. Boy, did he (or I) come around.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

Does Cecily have it written into her contract that she should get at least two songs per episode?

I think they are just using her while they have her. I'm a little shocked she came back this year. I didn't even think the odds were 50-50..

In my estimation, she's still the best they have.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I noticed something about this turkey of an episode. An acting tic of sorts. Jake was doing it, but so were some of the cast members, even long-time vets. When the material is weak (as so much of it was), they try to compensate by talking louder and opening their eyes wider and generally going "bigger" on the facial expressions, as if that will make it funnier. They really try to "sell" it, though of course the effect is to accomplish the opposite. You can smell the desperation.

This is something  Jake seems to do in comedy turns, although it worked for me. There are others like Chris Redd who also do this a lot, to mixed results (I thought he was great in the game show sketch...not in the flowers sketch), and others like Bowen and Sarah who were actually surprisingly restrained for me (if you can be restrained while playing a thrusting bee and a violated flower, anyway). The vets seem to do this most. 

3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Cecily is great but I’m not here to watch her bang out songs. I’d watch Schmigadoon for that. 

I  think Cecily is one of the best cast members the show has ever had, but very often now she just seems to be "on" whether it's needed or not. Not that the cowboy sketch was going to wow me even if she had been more low-key, but she was really chewing the scenery for no apparent reason.

In sketches like the flowers or the cabaret  song I thought she was more even-keeled, but it's rarer these days. 

6 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Seriously why does Aristotle never get any air time? Has he pissed Lorne off? He’s like the Lauren of this year. if he didn’t have Angelo we’d never see him and the Angelo sketches never even make it to the live show.

I keep wondering about this. Lauren did not have big roles, but she appeared in almost every episode, even if she was just mute in some of them, or had a few lines. Aristotle is almost constantly shut out of even supporting parts, one or two lines - you tend to have Kyle popping up multiple times in these roles now. I don't know if I've seen a new player who is just so consistently not there. I do wonder if something strange happened behind the scenes. I remember he was a bit stumbly and laughed some when he appeared early on, but that's not a big deal. 

On 4/11/2022 at 4:09 PM, possibilities said:

As a gardener, I am acutely aware of how plants put their sex organs on display while animals try to hide ours, and it's always amused me. So I appreciated the flower sketch, though I agree with all the people who find the spraying of the ensemble with whatever is just not for me. You can be funny without being gross, but SNL has always seemed to have a thing for disgustingness.

The problem for me, which is often the case, was the sketch being too long. They didn't need the weed, or  the golden shower, etc. You could feel the audience losing interest. 

• Love 2
On 4/12/2022 at 4:12 PM, Avabelle said:

Chris Redd is really coming into his own. He can elevate a sketch with a simple facial expression and one liner. He’s hilarious. 

Aristotle Has AT Least TWO Sketches As Angelo That Made IT To The Live Shows ! I Think One OF The Sketches Was With Daniel Craig ! The Other Was TWO OR Could Be Maybe Three Weeks Ago ! Also, He Was That Robot ! I Can Not Remember IF The Robot Was In A Sketch OR Week End Update ! He Is NOT Like Lauren ! He Is More Like How Alex Used To Be And Melissa And Punkie Until This Episode ! There Are Shows Where Cecily Sings ONE Song ! There Is This Episode And Maybe One Or Two Other Episodes That Cecily Might Sing Two Songs !

On 4/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, peeayebee said:

I thought Chris Redd came into his own a while back. I can always count on him to make a sketch better.

As for Aristotle, I really want to see him in a bigger role in a sketch other than Angelo. I'm very curious about him. I remember when Alex Moffat joined the show, I wasn't impressed. Boy, did he (or I) come around.

Hey, Every Body Was Upset When Kenan Got In The Cast Instead OF That Man In That Other Show on Nickelodeon Named Kel And Every Body Wanted Him Instead OF Kenan !

On 4/12/2022 at 5:18 PM, vb68 said:

I think they are just using her while they have her. I'm a little shocked she came back this year. I didn't even think the odds were 50-50..

In my estimation, she's still the best they have.

I Agree With You About Cecily Being The Best Member OF The Cast ! Also, Ego And Bowen Are The Three Best Members OF The Cast ! ! ! 

On 4/11/2022 at 5:01 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I feel pretty confident the people at SNL did know. It was widely discussed after she died, particularly by people who were angry she had refused to resign back when her replacement could've been someone who was more in line with her views. I suspect Kate McKinnon and the show likely ignore that fact because Kate's portrayal of RBG is farcical and still gets laughs from the audience.

Kate playing old biddies, including RGB = yawn.  She's beaten it to death.  I used to love her but she's been JV now for years.  At least she has a bright future doing TV commercials.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:41 AM, Milburn Stone said:

"Turkey?"  My term for this episode was "hack, bitch."  I noticed that sort of mugging and vamping especially in the trainwreck that was the Cabaret sketch.  OMG.

I like Gyllenhaal-- but funny?  Hells no.  Quick-- name a comedy he's done . . . yeah, thought so.

Why are you wearing a human suit?

• Love 1

That episode was traumatically unfunny. Even WU ended early because of that terrible “trends” bit that was really long. Enjoyed the weirdness of Flowers and Chucky, and that was it. Also, there are so many young, female singers who sound just alike, like this one. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, JZL said:

I like Gyllenhaal-- but funny?  Hells no.  Quick-- name a comedy he's done . . . yeah, thought so.

He's more known for dramatic roles but he got a lot of praise for his turn in Okja. That, and this:

3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

Yeah the trends skit on WU is awful. So unfunny and goes on way too long.

I enjoyed this the  first time around and thought it was alright this time, but it was too soon to bring it back. I wonder if this was a present for Aidy, as she was out last week with COVID.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:27 PM, Pete Martell said:

I  think Cecily is one of the best cast members the show has ever had, but very often now she just seems to be "on" whether it's needed or not. Not that the cowboy sketch was going to wow me even if she had been more low-key, but she was really chewing the scenery for no apparent reasons.

My mental framing for it was that she used her Jeanine Pirro shtick for most of her characters. I agree that she’s usually the best cast member, but in this episode it felt like she drew from the same well too many times.  

• Love 2
On 4/10/2022 at 11:44 PM, vb68 said:

They obviously won't going to include anything that wasn't complimentary about RBG. That would've worked against what they were going for, which was her as an inspirational figure to women. There may be a time and place for a tougher look at her record, but I really don't think that sketch was it. And I'm not at all sure Kate would had been down for that either. Just my two cents. 

I knew Sarah Sherman had a big hand in writing that Chucky sketch. That's the kind of stuff it sounds she was known for pre-SNL. Before reading about her background and resume, I never realized "Comedy Horror" was a whole sub-genre for improv/sketch performers.   

Did Sara Play Chucky ? IF NOT, Than Who Did Play Chucky ?