Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E15: Put It to the Test

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

That’s the writers’ plot contrivance, yes, but what I’m wondering is if this were happening IRL, what reason would the examiners have to talk to one of the residents?

Pretty sure they wanted to talk to all the residents, but they were all (with the exception of  Schmidt) working on the pig organ transplant.  I think it makes sense to talk to the residents, as it's regarding their training and their careers.

Why they specifically asked for Schmidt doesn't make any sense, tho, unless they knew it was his mother that made the complaint.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, madmax said:

Pretty sure they wanted to talk to all the residents, but they were all (with the exception of  Schmidt) working on the pig organ transplant.  I think it makes sense to talk to the residents, as it's regarding their training and their careers.

Why they specifically asked for Schmidt doesn't make any sense, tho, unless they knew it was his mother that made the complaint.

I thought your original question was why Hamilton and Kai talked to Schmidt. The people evaluating the residency program wanted to talk to all the residents, but I have no idea why Hamilton and Kai would need to talk to Schmidt as part of Richard’s evaluation.

• Love 2
On 4/8/2022 at 7:32 PM, madmax said:

Same thing I asked myself.  How would you like to be that patient?  "Hey, who are those people?" "They're trying to decide if the hospital is good enough to keep teaching residents." "You mean that resident that is going to do my surgery?  Get me the hell out of here."

Wasn't he supposed to talk to the evaluators?  What was the point of him talking to Hair and No-Personality?

The only good part of the show.

He's no longer living with Jo. She kicked him out when she realized she loved him but couldn't keep sleeping with him.  Or something like that that ruined a great platonic friendship.

So with you 100%  She is horrible and I like to fast forward thru her scenes.  It brings me  joy.

Meredith is not going anywhere.  Although, given how seldom Ellen is on the show anymore, it wouldn't really matter if  she did.

I don't understand why Not-Derek wouldn't let that guy's wife in the first time.  Gown her up like him and the residents and let her have her moment.  

Hair and No Personality.  Thank you for that.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 4/8/2022 at 10:55 AM, RedbirdNelly said:

I was so bummed when I saw that Glasses was going to be in this episode. But I will admit he provided the 2 parts that made me laugh:

(a) him realizing it was his mom because of too many hashtags

(b) his mom toppling down the stairs--something about that was funny (even though real life falling down the stairs is not).

I have been so over Glasses. I don't know we're supposed to care. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I thought your original question was why Hamilton and Kai talked to Schmidt. The people evaluating the residency program wanted to talk to all the residents, but I have no idea why Hamilton and Kai would need to talk to Schmidt as part of Richard’s evaluation.

That  was my original question, but I misread your response.  I think it was examiners/evaluators that messed me up. 😁

No reason for H & K (examiners) to talk to Schmidt, every reason for the evaluators to talk to Schmidt.  

• Love 2

Wait, Amelia is getting serious with Kai, when they said they didn't want kids? And she introduced them? It sounds like she's doing with Kai, what Linc was doing with her: expecting them to come around to her way of thinking. Encouraging it. You don't get serious with someone who doesn't want kids, if you have them. I've been there, as the kid. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Anela said:

Wait, Amelia is getting serious with Kai, when they said they didn't want kids? And she introduced them? It sounds like she's doing with Kai, what Linc was doing with her: expecting them to come around to her way of thinking. Encouraging it. You don't get serious with someone who doesn't want kids, if you have them. I've been there, as the kid. 

I haven't liked Amelia, ever. She yanks people around with her own craziness. She did care for Mer's kids somehow. This show is ridiculous lately.

• Love 6

Wow bottom of the barrel Bailey and not the way that occurred. 

Meredith met Derek and he didn’t tell her he was married.  She didn’t find out until his wife showed up.  His wife he left because she cheated on him with his friend.  And she tried to respect them getting back together as well even though it was obvious it was a disaster from the start.  That night she slept with him at the prom was the only night that she had an affair with him with the knowledge that he was married and you don’t even know about it. 

Also are you examining your own behavior as her supervisor who realized she was having a relationship with her attending/boss and didn’t report it to HR because the power dynamics were jacked.

I am the most critical person of Meredith there is and even I thought this was completely out of line

• Love 9
On 4/8/2022 at 6:59 PM, Kristi800 said:

I think it was more that Meredith was making career choices based on who she's sleeping with.

Also not true.  Meredith already worked there when she met Derek.  And their marriage almost ended because she wouldn’t leave her career to go to DC with him.  I also remember when she completely tanked  his Alzheimer's trial to help Adele. Meredith broke with Derek on a regular basis over her career. 

Edited by dmc
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Anela said:

It isn't clear to me that Amelia introduced Kai to Scout. Kai asked Linc if he was Scout's dad, and Linc was all "you've introduced them?" But Kai knows Scout exists, so it is pretty reasonable for them to ask that question regardless of whether they've met the kid. 

Amelia and Kai don't seem that serious to me. 

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

It isn't clear to me that Amelia introduced Kai to Scout. Kai asked Linc if he was Scout's dad, and Linc was all "you've introduced them?" But Kai knows Scout exists, so it is pretty reasonable for them to ask that question regardless of whether they've met the kid. 

The way she spoke to Kai before, about her child, it sounded to me like she wanted it to be serious - that they both did - otherwise there's no point to get into how important her child is to her. They would have slept together, and she would have left. 

15 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

It isn't clear to me either, but in fact, I don't think that Amelia did introduce Scout to Kai.  Amelia showed Kai pictures and talked on the phone to Scout in Kai's presence - that's plenty for Kai to use to ask Link if he's Scout's dad.  It's more than enough, actually, all Kai needs to know of is Scout's existence, like you said.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
fixed typo
  • Love 3
On 4/10/2022 at 8:36 PM, Anela said:

The way she spoke to Kai before, about her child, it sounded to me like she wanted it to be serious - that they both did - otherwise there's no point to get into how important her child is to her. They would have slept together, and she would have left. 

I agree Amelia was thinking about it being serious, but she may have changed her mind after Kai said they didn't want kids. Amelia talked about how important her child was to her after hearing that, and then left soon after. To me that suggested she would only get serious if Kai was okay with that. We haven't seen them interact much since that episode, so it is hard to know if things actually progressed.

On 4/10/2022 at 8:05 PM, izabella said:

Did Amelia deny that she had introduced Kai to Scout?  If not, then she probably did introduce them.

She didn't deny it but she also didn't admit she had. I tend to doubt it because the last time we saw them together was in Minneapolis and Kai hadn't met Scout yet then. This episode was the first time we've heard about Kai being in Seattle since that episode, so I'm not sure when they would have had an opportunity to meet. Unless I am misremembering the timing.

• Love 4
On 4/10/2022 at 8:36 PM, Anela said:

Kai opened up the subject. They were at Kai's place, Kai was introducing plants with people names, Amelia asked why she named her plants, and Kai explained that she never wanted children so her plants were her children.

It was a casual conversation but its purpose was set up the reason for them to break up.

• Love 5

I just figured Kai said "You must be Scout's father" since that was an easier, less-loaded statement than "You must be Amelia's ex." But Linc took it to another level.

Agreed with others that it was absurd for both Hamilton and Kai to show up to evaluate Richard (let alone listen to Schmidt talk about him). Especially when one is a research-oriented PhD. 

I never really get Meredith's affection for Bailey. Bailey was judgmental of her early relationship with Derek; she was extremely disappointed in Meredith's tampering with Derek's Alzheimer's study; she suspended Meredith during the Minnick wars; she fired Meredith for the insurance fraud... I get that they trained together and work in the same specialty, but they've had a lot of head-butting where Bailey has been fairly quick to shut Meredith out or try to guilt-trip M on any decisions Bailey dislikes.

I roll my eyes these days with Bailey's "I trained you" comments. When the show started, I thought she was more like a chief resident with the power they gave her, but they later made her (and Torres) a fourth resident in the first few seasons before eventually becoming a chief resident. By that token, Helm and Schmidt should've been "taking ownership" of the various interns' training all during this year. (Of course, the show even reversed itself by having M/A/I/C give the same Bailey speech to interns when they were just second-years, so the show has always been wishy-washy over how much the older residents help in training their younger peers.)

I liked Jo's comment about not putting down OB as a lesser field compared with surgery, but I still think the overall specialty switch was a dumb move for the character (rivaled only by Ben's jumps from anesthesia attending to surgery resident to fireman).

• Love 4