Type keyword(s) to search

Captive Audience: A Real American Horror Story - General Discussion

• Start Topic

In 1972, 7-year-old Steven Stayner mysteriously vanished on his way home from school. Nearly a decade later, his dramatic return to his family sparked ’80s-era “stranger danger” warnings, legal reforms, and one iconic Made-For-TV-Movie in which the family’s ordeal was transformed into a prime-time miniseries watched by 70 million Americans. When the credits rolled and the movie ended, it closed one tragic chapter of the family’s life, but opened another. This limited documentary series explores the evolution of true crime storytelling through the lens of one family’s 50-year journey and two brothers; one a hero, the other a villain. It’s about how truth becomes story and story becomes truth - on TV, in the justice system, and in our minds.

• Useful 2

What a mess. I did not know Stephen died so young.  I had no idea what his brother did and that the first thing he said to the interviewer was he wanted a tv movie of the week of his story.  

Stephen's mother and sister seemed a lot alike, I thought it was interesting how the sister said she wished she didn't ask Stephen so many questions because she didn't want to know the answers. Then the mother wouldn't comment on what Cary did. 

I am still finishing the 3rd episode but seems like the family never really dealt with the negative stuff.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

What a mess. I did not know Stephen died so young.  I had no idea what his brother did and that the first thing he said to the interviewer was he wanted a tv movie of the week of his story.  

Stephen's mother and sister seemed a lot alike, I thought it was interesting how the sister said she wished she didn't ask Stephen so many questions because she didn't want to know the answers. Then the mother wouldn't comment on what Cary did. 

I am still finishing the 3rd episode but seems like the family never really dealt with the negative stuff.

It is a mess. Crazy and sad how much happened to one Family. I have no sympathy for Cary though only his victims. He could have turned out to be a killer either way though I'm sure the kidnapping of his brother was just another straw to the Camel's back. I knew Stephen died young though when all Lifetime use to do was air all the old made for TV movies a text was added about Stephen's death for I Know My First Name is Stephen. Kenneth Parnell did such little time for all the abuse he heaped on Stephen. I could never believe that. It makes you really mad and frustrated when you think about it. Poor Timothy White as well he died young.  So much death and loss connected to this one event. It's spooky when you really think about it.  Im glad Cary never got a movie made about him. Screw him.  It was nice hearing from Stephen's children I'm sorry they didn't have him growing up. 

• Love 5

What a sad family history. I think it was Steven's daughter who said "how much can one family take?" and she was right. 

I vaguely remembered the TV movie about Steven but I had no idea about Cary or the murders he committed. And I had no idea Steven died so young and tragically. And Timothy White did, too? So awful.

I feel like Steven's mom has survived by being tough as nails but also blocking out a lot of what she couldn't deal with. She said something along the lines of "that was Steven's life and he should remember it, the happy times at least, not the bad ones." (referring to the years he was taken). Like he was just supposed to block out the terrible things Parnell did to him? That whole family could have benefited from intense therapy and someone intervening to keep the intense media scrutiny off of them 24/7.

And I know this wasn't the reaction the producers probably wanted, but when Steven's widow was asked how she dealt with what Cary did and she responded "I didn't," I just cracked up. She seemed very matter of fact and no nonsense, I loved her.

The bits with the actors who played Steven and Cary in the TV movie were weird. What did them reading transcripts (?) have anything to do with the story?

Edited by emma675
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

The bits with the actors who played Steven and Cary in the TV movie were weird. What did them reading transcripts (?) have anything to do with the story?

I think they were meant to be a proxy since Steven is dead and Cary is in prison so neither could be interviewed.

I wanted to learn more about Cary’s life before the murders. Both of Steven’s kids referenced not having seen their uncle in years, so I wonder what he was doing.

• Love 7

As much as the series was about the family, it was also a glimpse into how poorly victims were treated in the 70's and 80's. Reporters sitting in Steven's classroom and at one point asking him on camera if he'd been molested was a little shocking by today's standard. The principal of the school saying only nice kids go to school here contrasting with the bullying Steven went through as the trial unfolded. Sexual crimes against women and children were taken even less seriously then and a young man talking about his trauma was revolutionary. He wanted his story to help others and I think it really did. Not that many years later, the Catholic church abuse scandals came out and stories like Steven's probably made some of the young men more willing to come forward. Steven seemed like such a great guy, kind and gentle, in his interviews and as a dad. Very tragic his life was cut so short.

I would also have liked to have known more about Cary. His sister was the only one who said that he wasn't right from day one, but she didn't say a lot more than that. I really didn't buy that he did it to be more famous that Steven. It's too simple of an explanation for that level of depravity. Their mom not wanting to talk about Cary didn't surprise me. How do you even process your son doing such terrible and angry things to women? I wonder if his sister or mom keep in touch with him.

I liked the approach of this three episode series. Bringing the actors in was an interesting choice. Hearing the writer decide what to fictionalize was interesting too. He struggled to tell the story in a way that balanced captivating an 80's network audience while respecting Steven and his family.

I was in high school when the mini series came out and my mom and I definitely watched it. It was a big deal at the time. I also remember when the three women were abducted in Yosemite as I was living in SF at the time. That was a huge story that went on for a long time.

I'm glad his kids got to tell their story. I'm sure it's not easy to have that last name especially if they stayed in the area. I like that more women are directing these types of programs. I think they bring a different perspective to the genre.

• Love 8

Watching now and finally found this forum. It’s unfortunate that the site’s search function doesn’t work for these lesser shows. I recently rewatched the 80s miniseries and knew what happened with Cary, so it’s interesting to get the family’s takes now.

• Love 4

The actors reading Steven's and Cary's words fell flat to me because I thought Corin Nemec was a better actor, or a had better understanding of his "character", than the guy who played Cary.  But that's probably part of the point, who truly really knows Cary?  I don't think even his family knows.

• Like 1

A friend recommended the book Ultimate Prey by Stephen Sanzeri about this case.  Sanzeri is an ex-cop and bounty hunter/PI. The book is self-published and could REALLY use some editing but it was still pretty interesting and cheap to buy (3.99). There was a lot of evidence that Cary did not act alone and had help but it was never pursued. Worth reading if the case interests you and the book is a quick read.

• Useful 2