Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: The World Turned Upside Down

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't blame Claire if she didn't give a fuck and just didn't want to deal with Malva right then.

That's entirely reasonable. Claire is also an adult. If Malva is banging on the door she can just tell her to go away or yell for Young Ian to get rid of her. He's always sitting on the steps there so maybe he saw something. 

The way it was shot, I thought Claire looked out the window and saw her and then immediately went to the ether. Which was weird. It could be that she didn't see her at all and just dosed up. 

I'm finding it hard for the Claire who is barely able to walk to go call on Mr. Christie to check up on him with her jaunty hat, and then seeing pregnant Malva waddling on over and just ignore her. So maybe she didn't see at all. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
11 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The way it was shot, I thought Claire looked out the window and saw her and then immediately went to the ether. Which was weird.

I think Claire went straight for the ether when she “heard” Lionel’s voice again, taunting her.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Glade said:

The doors and windows were locked/barred, so she knew Mulva couldn't get in, but wanted to escape from the post-traumatic stress and panic that her presence triggered in the only way she knew how.  It isn't unrealistic that she'd want to do that instead of standing there listening Mulva pounding on the door screaming, because Claire obviously had no intentions of talking to her.

What if she thought Malva was a bad vision, like Lionel, who keeps freaking her out? 

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's entirely reasonable. Claire is also an adult. If Malva is banging on the door she can just tell her to go away or yell for Young Ian to get rid of her. He's always sitting on the steps there so maybe he saw something. 

The way it was shot, I thought Claire looked out the window and saw her and then immediately went to the ether. Which was weird. It could be that she didn't see her at all and just dosed up. 

I'm finding it hard for the Claire who is barely able to walk to go call on Mr. Christie to check up on him with her jaunty hat, and then seeing pregnant Malva waddling on over and just ignore her. So maybe she didn't see at all. 

Claire is recovered from being ill by now, it said it was 2 months later.

Edited by Cdh20
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Claire is only human. She saw Malva coming and didn't want to talk to her, barred the doors and windows against her, and took ether.

• Love 1

Proving she had sex with Obadiah Henderson and other men doesn't mean she didn't have sex with Jamie. If anything, it makes it more plausible.

Why does that make it more plausible?  She's claiming Jamie is the only possibility but it's easy enough to prove she's a liar. Her reputation is already shot. You think if her father finds out she slept with Obadiah and Ian he'll still assume it must have been Jamie? He'll have zero reason to believe her.

The doors and windows were locked/barred, so she knew Mulva couldn't get in, but wanted to escape from the post-traumatic stress and panic that her presence triggered in the only way she knew how.  It isn't unrealistic that she'd want to do that instead of standing there listening Mulva pounding on the door screaming, because Claire obviously had no intentions of talking to her.

I'm not clear on whether or not she saw/believed Malva walking towards the house either. But assuming she did, the last time Claire saw Malva she was just about to spill her guts, or so it seemed until her brother showed up. The opportunity to speak with her alone should have been enough to snap Claire out of her PTSD, at least IMO. At any rate, simply locking the door on someone who is hell-bent on destroying your life wouldn't make me feel safe enough to knock myself out!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cdh20 said:

Claire is recovered from being ill by now, it said it was 2 months later.

No, I meant if Claire was going out to see Mr. Christie in that state, then seeing Malva possibly coming to her for medical help, she's not going to lock the door and refuse to see her. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Why does that make it more plausible?  She's claiming Jamie is the only possibility but it's easy enough to prove she's a liar. Her reputation is already shot. You think if her father finds out she slept with Obadiah and Ian he'll still assume it must have been Jamie? He'll have zero reason to believe her.

It proves that she's been sleeping around. If them, why not Jamie, especially when she can describe his body and exactly how the affair started, which he admits there's some truth to? Her father is definitely going to believe her. He's never been a believer in the infallibility of Jamie Fraser. They argued about his word being law at the very end of the premiere, and Tom told Claire emphatically that he was not one of Jamie's men later.

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

No, I meant if Claire was going out to see Mr. Christie in that state, then seeing Malva possibly coming to her for medical help, she's not going to lock the door and refuse to see her.

But she did. We saw her lock the door. Talking to Malva, which must have been hard in the first place, just got her decried as a witch last time. I got the impression she thought Malva was coming to argue with her and say the kind of things she said in Claire's vision.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1

It's not clear Claire (slick!) saw Malva sauntering on over and then locked the doors and ethered up, thereby ignoring her. 

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think Claire went straight for the ether when she “heard” Lionel’s voice again, taunting her.

That could have happened before they cut to Malva and in hindsight as we're talking I'm leaning more to this. Claire is quick to ether up when she either sees Lionel in the mirror or whatever or hears him. I don't know she actually saw her.

What I was saying that even frail Claire went over to check on Mr. Christie. Despite with the whole drama in their living room,  Claire was making some headway with Malva at her place until Allan snotted out at her and Malva sort of slid back into character. I'm having a hard time if Claire saw visibly pregnant Malva coming over, that good doctor Claire wouldn't at least ask if she needed to be examined. I don't think she would deliberately ignore a patient. 

I actually think this is the worst outcome for Claire (besides being covered in blood next to a dead body). Even if everyone believes she didn't kill Malva, this begs the question as to how she didn't hear anything so close to the house. If we're to assume we (viewers) saw Malva walking to the Frasers, someone got to her seemingly in broad daylight and also seemingly in viewing distance if not hearing of Claire. 

I'm most interested in how everything is leading up to the fire. This certainly seems to factor into it. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

It proves that she's been sleeping around. If them, why not Jamie, especially when she can describe his body and exactly how the affair started, which he admits there's some truth to? Her father is definitely going to believe her. He's never been a believer in the infallibility of Jamie Fraser. They argued about his word being law at the very end of the premiere, and Tom told Claire emphatically that he was not one of Jamie's men later.

If she's been sleeping around with at least two men that we know of there's no way to prove it's definitely Jamie's baby. Which is what she's currently claiming. If she lied and said he's the only possible baby daddy and two other men come forward to admit they slept with her, then her story is shot. I'm not convinced her father is especially inclined to believe her anyway given what we've seen between them. Even if he still thinks she did sleep with Jamie, the baby daddy is anyone's guess. 

Would anyone believe Roger and Ian if they said what they know about Malva?

I'm not sure they should care. Jamie and Claire own the land. If people are shunning them they could just tell them to GTFO. This whole thing feels contrived and pretty stupid.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure they should care. Jamie and Claire own the land. If people are shunning them they could just tell them to GTFO. This whole thing feels contrived and pretty stupid.

I don't think they'll do that, but it seems a bit much the original settlers are all shunning Jamie and Claire and not just asking what's going on. I'm leaning that this whole deal is a long way for the Claire huffing the ether to come to light. It's really the only way she can prove she didn't have anything to do with the killing. She was out cold. Other than she has fresh blood on her and the fatal wound is clearly dark blood because the body was lying there awhile, but I wouldn't want to begrudge this show all its drama.

• LOL 1

Well that was a fun episode...not. Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ, indeed. @SassAndSnacks, I guess we're not going to be lucky enough to have last week's opening song again, that was too good to be true, eh?

So much shit this week. Sooooo.Muuuuuuch.Shiiiiiiit. Where to begin?

Okay, so Claire's ether huffing caused her to either black out while Mulva was being killed OR Mulva wasn't there in the first place and it was a hallucination and a coincidence that while Claire was blacked out Mulva was somehow dragged there and killed? What the everloving fuck Show? Seriously? There's been upthread spec on whether Claire was hallucinating or she really saw Mulva. Since she'd just seen Assface dude as a hallucination, it seems fair to assume she's also hallucinating about Mulva too, right? But then it all falls apart when Mulva is found dead shortly thereafter in her nearby veggie patch. It looked like she'd been killed on the spot, did it not? Ergo that leads to Claire actually seeing her, and perhaps she was indeed banging on the door as well. Also, Claire saw her coming from the stables yes? The stables where she'd peeped Claire and Jamie engaged in sexy times. So perhaps she went there first, had a think that she needed to come clean, and then walked towards the surgery? But again, who would then drag her off and murder her in Claire's garden? The only person that fucking angry seems to be psycho Emo Allan. He was more angry that Tom was during their little visit to the Big House. Allan seems very hair trigger, and always warning off folks from being too near Mulva, so my money's on Allan being both the baby daddy (because he's a fucking creeper) AND the murderer because he knows that Mulva can tattle on him and was probably going to do so when she went to see Claire. So in summation, I believe Claire did see her, she did pound on the door, and Allan then was following her and killed her in the garden to cover his tracks as the baby daddy/sister raper AND to stick it to Jamie and Claire as a cherry on his very own shit sundae.

If I'd been Claire I'd have told the shunning church goers to bugger off right now. You believe this bullshit from someone you barely know, after knowing Jamie for years? Then sod off and get the hell off the Ridge. Where is THAT Claire? Is she not there as a result of the PTSD?

What else...Oh! Bree ought to be showing a little bit by now, yes? And the whole hair cut thing was so dumb. I hope that's not in the books and it's a really bad Show idea that went wrong. So Mulva the Creepster thought it would make Claire so ugly that Jamie wouldn't want her? Man, she does not know how to read a room with J&C, does she?!? At least Mary McNabb could read that room! And speaking of which, Jamie, dude! STFU about Mary McNabb, nobody gives a shit at this point in life. It didn't need to be told, and in that moment the way he prefaced it, it made Claire think he was about to confess to having sex with Mulva so it was a really fucked up moment to tell her about Mary. And again, it's soooo moot at this point it never needed to be talked about, like ever.

Poor Ian, schtupping a crazy person. At least we're not going to be subjected to Ian being saddled with marrying this psycho now and claiming the baby as his own. But you know Ian's going to think the kid was his and died yet again, and he's cursed and will never father a child and blah, blah, blah, fishcakes...Poor guy.

The whole Claire and Tom get a different illness story line was weird. Are we to assume, as some here have said, that Mulva tried to kill them both with something? And does Tom have a secret crush on Claire? I mean, his kids keep propagating her being a witch, and his wife was killed for being a witch, so maybe he has a thing for witches? Either way, I'm ready for this family and their 'fisherfolk' crew to piss off and out of this show. I'm over it.

Lastly, I know Claire always falls on her medical oath sword about saving and tending to people she hates or who have done her wrong, but to cut open Mulva and try to get the baby out? Jesus woman! How is that going to look to anyone else? Like it was Jamie's kid and you killed the mother and tried to save the baby because it's your husband's child...duh. Duh. DUH. D.U.H.! The fallout from this is going to be epically bad. Really, really bad. I'm actually glad we only have two episodes left because I can't take much more of this depressing shite. I really feel for those of you who've been on the Droughtlander train for almost like three years now. I just stumbled onto this maybe a year ago but for you guys who've been waiting so long, and this is what you get? Oy vey.

ETA: That above rant made me forget about Claire telling everyone to not touch their faces and then Lizzie touches.her.face. And then...nothing happens. No repercussions from that. So why Show, why show us that and then have absolutely nothing come of it? It's just bad story telling, like someone started a thought and forgot to finish it.

I also failed above to mention the shining scene of this entire season - Claire's monologue about how they - She, Brianna, Roger - aren't supposed to be there. Gemmy isn't supposed to even exist. But they are all there because Claire loved Jamie more than the life she had in her own time. *mic drop* That scene and dialogue harkened me back to S01, 02 and the first half of 03, when we got regular dialogue that was mic drop worthy. We've not had any of that for a long time that I can remember, and that particular snippet of dialogue was like a long draught of cool stream water after a very long, very dusty slog from midway S03 until now. I don't know why they can't bring more of that regularly, or if it's not part of the books, then make dialogue up to enrich it to the level that the early seasons brought. It made me long for the beginning of this series, which was so damn good in so many ways. I'm torn wanting them to finish out book for book a full 10 seasons of Show, or just be done with it S07, which I hear is shooting as we type. I cannot imagine that they could wrap up this story in only one extended season and do justice to the characters, but who knows. All I know is, if they can pull that stable scene dialogue out in S06, they are capable of bringing us a much richer Show.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 2
  • Love 7

Did Claire murder Malva in an ether induced stupor? sure looked like that to me!

That was the first thing I thought when we saw her dead in the garden with her throat cut from what looked like a very sharp scalpel that Claire was still holding in her hand! the same scalpel she cut the baby out with.

I'm sure this show won't go there - Claire the crazy murderess. 

What I didn't understand  -- the other settlers are shunning Claire because (as far as they know) Jaime raped the little girl while Claire was on her deathbed but they are holding Claire accountable for that? Like she is the one responsible for getting Malva pregnant? 

7 hours ago, taanja said:

Did Claire murder Malva in an ether induced stupor? sure looked like that to me!

The door was still locked when she woke up.

On 4/13/2022 at 3:45 PM, iMonrey said:

If she's been sleeping around with at least two men that we know of there's no way to prove it's definitely Jamie's baby. Which is what she's currently claiming. If she lied and said he's the only possible baby daddy and two other men come forward to admit they slept with her, then her story is shot. I'm not convinced her father is especially inclined to believe her anyway given what we've seen between them. Even if he still thinks she did sleep with Jamie, the baby daddy is anyone's guess.

Okay, although I'm not sure people in that century wouldn't believe that a woman would somehow be able to tell who her baby's father was and when it happened. But she also claimed that she and Jamie did it many times afterward. Which makes him the most likely father if the others were one-offs, and may be why she made that part of her story. In any case, pressuring Henderson into coming clean would look like they forced him to lie for Jamie, and Ian coming forward would look like he was taking the fall for his uncle. My reading of people says Tom would be more likely to believe Malva than Jamie regardless.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:39 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

It's not clear Claire (slick!) saw Malva sauntering on over and then locked the doors and ethered up, thereby ignoring her. 

No, it is clear. Claire goes out the door, stops in the process because she sees Malva (who comes towards her directly in her line of sight, so Claire would have to be having eye problems not to see her), makes an angry face at Malva, and locks the door so she can't come in. It's not ambiguous that she facially reacted to seeing her. Her seeing Malva is also the reason Malva was in her ether-induced vision, as if she had somehow managed to get inside.

I triple checked.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1

I agree that Jamie bringing up Mary McNabb was the dumbest thing ever. Who the eff cares. It was one night 20+ years ago, and Claire was already long gone and back with Frank. It really didn't warrant a confession. 

gingerella, I'm glad you brought up Bree, because that confused me as well. Enough time had passed for Malva to be in the late stages of pregnancy but Bree wasn't even showing? That makes no sense. I find the timeline as a whole to be really wonky. The establishing shots show seasons coming and going, but it seems like we're still in the same year. I wish they'd give us better time stamps.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, taanja said:

What I didn't understand  -- the other settlers are shunning Claire because (as far as they know) Jaime raped the little girl while Claire was on her deathbed but they are holding Claire accountable for that? Like she is the one responsible for getting Malva pregnant?

They don't think he raped her, they think they had an affair, like Malva was describing. As I said upthread, the dark looks are because they think he and Claire have now turned Malva out into the cold after he got her pregnant.

28 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

That's totally Jamie though. 

Agreed.  And he was laying it all out, getting it all out there, she's the one person he hadn't told Claire about so it cleared his conscience .  And it obviously worked because it defused the situation with Claire and she calmed down after it. I liked that whole scene.

Edited by Beeyago
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2022 at 7:56 AM, DoctorAtomic said:

That's totally Jamie though. 

It's his sense of honor, which also has gotten home into so much trouble as well. But I didnt like how he chose that moment to tell Claire because it made it seem like he was about to admit to sleeping with Creepergirl. He really did that in a stupid way. But as you say, that's Jamie.

Edited by gingerella
10 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

They don't think he raped her, they think they had an affair, like Malva was describing. As I said upthread, the dark looks are because they think he and Claire have now turned Malva out into the cold after he got her pregnant.

Well that's kind of what I mean. They are holding Claire responsible for Jamie's actions. In their time and place -- isn't the husband lord and mater of the household -- wife children servants. < all of them and Tom even said Jaime has the right to take the child from it's mother and claim it and raise it. So basically Claire would have to do what her husband told her to do. That would be normal and natural. So again -- why are they blaming and shunning Claire?

3 hours ago, taanja said:

Well that's kind of what I mean. They are holding Claire responsible for Jamie's actions. In their time and place -- isn't the husband lord and mater of the household -- wife children servants. < all of them and Tom even said Jaime has the right to take the child from it's mother and claim it and raise it. So basically Claire would have to do what her husband told her to do. That would be normal and natural. So again -- why are they blaming and shunning Claire?

Two or three things:

A) As Doctor Atomic said, only without the bit about not making sense. Anyone who knows them at all knows that Jamie and Claire are a unit, and she gave Malva a great slap. If Claire wanted Jamie to take responsibility for the child, he would.

and/or B) Misogyny.

and/or C) Even today, women get placed under a pall when it turns out their husband did something bad. Why question it happening in the 18th century when it happens in the 21st? That would make them more reasonable than real people are.

• Love 4
On 4/13/2022 at 6:39 PM, gingerella said:

I guess we're not going to be lucky enough to have last week's opening song again

Last week's Gaelic version was in honor of Flora Macdonald (who appeared in both the prologue and main narrative) and Bonnie Prince Charlie, about whom the original Skye Boat Song was written, with lyrics re-worked by Robert Louis Stevenson. Charles Stuart is the lad who was gone -- from the mainland, after Culloden -- disguised in women's dress on a boat obtained by Flora Macdonald, over the sea to Skye. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Two or three things:

A) As Doctor Atomic said, only without the bit about not making sense. Anyone who knows them at all knows that Jamie and Claire are a unit, and she gave Malva a great slap. If Claire wanted Jamie to take responsibility for the child, he would.

and/or B) Misogyny.

and/or C) Even today, women get placed under a pall when it turns out their husband did something bad. Why question it happening in the 18th century when it happens in the 21st? That would make them more reasonable than real people are.

It’s all 3. 

1. If Jamie isn’t taking responsibility for his baby/Malva so he doesn’t piss of Claire, they are both bad people. 

2. Claire should make her husband do the right thing, because she’s supposed to be the moral center of the household. (yes men are in charge but women are supposed to be more moral)It was socially expected men would have affairs, but not taking responsibly was the social stigma. 

3. They already think Claire is a witch, now she’s just a jealous shrew punishing a poor young girl because her husband was unfaithful, she’s angry her “witchcraft” hasn’t kept her young and fertile. 

• Love 3
On 4/16/2022 at 9:47 PM, LoveLeigh said:

Was that the last episode for this season? Oh I just saw they are skipping April 17th and there are 2 more episodes.

No!  There are two more episodes with the next on April 23rd.  Probably skipped this week because it was Easter weekend and STARZ didn't want to offend anyone.  

24 minutes ago, dbklmt said:

No!  There are two more episodes with the next on April 23rd.  Probably skipped this week because it was Easter weekend and STARZ didn't want to offend anyone.  

It had  nothing to do with offending anyone. This show has always skipped a week that fell on a holiday.

• Useful 1
On 4/18/2022 at 9:27 PM, dbklmt said:

Yeah, they showed Claire being raped on Mother’s Day in the US. Maybe they learned their lesson 

• LOL 3
On 4/11/2022 at 8:51 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Short season due to Cait's real life pregnancy so only two episodes left.

That's too bad. I'm sure COVID also had something to do with truncating season six. Having never read the books and just going by show alone, I could think of lots of storylines they could have delved into that wouldn't involve Cait/Claire at all. More Young Ian with the Mohawks. Fergus and Marsali in New Bern. Checking in on Jenny and Ian at Lollybroch, with a scene of seeing how Laoghaire is dealing with knowing her daughter ran off with people she despised. Following Morag MacKenzie after she parted ways with Roger after their voyage. More 1960s/70s anything. Anything at all connecting the 1770s storyline with the 20th century. On the podcasts, the showrunners always talk about how they film more than they fit into an episode. Even an episode of cut scenes would have been welcome to fill out the season.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

So Claire’s hair was cut while she was ill, which was supposedly 2.5 months before Malva accused Jamie.  Which is supposedly when Malva got  pregnant.    It’s not been more than a few weeks since then because Claire’s hair hasn’t grown all that much.   Yet Malva is heavily pregnant at the time of her death. And Bree has not given birth ( she isn’t even showing) even though she knew she was pregnant before Claire got sick.  

I’m also really really tired of the Ether nonsense.  The incorrect use of which is probably    causing the hallucinations 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 1

I didn't feel like watching this show for a few months.  I mean, what a downer.  Tonight, I thought maybe finally, I really should finish off the season, and I get *this* episode.

The first part with the residents and Claire getting sick was rather mundane.  In some ways, I don't mind the lack of drama sometimes.

But then suddenly, everything they had been building up to this season came to a head.  The "payoff" for Peeping Malva and the trips to Etherland being Claire in the Garden with a Scalpel, or not.

I thought Claire's suspicions about her illness and Malva's father's illness was actually going to go somewhere.  It was pretty obvious who the lowest of the low common denominator would be.  It would have been more satisfying if Claire had figured out that Malva intentionally got her sick this episode as well.

I agree with the point that Malva wanted to replace Claire.  Her expression watching Claire and Jamie during the sermon seemed like pure jealousy.  But I am thinking the guess that the brother is the murderer and the father of the baby is likely.  They haven't really built up any other suspects among the other multitude of men that Malva could have slept with.  I actually did like and feel for Malva at the beginning of the season, but she had been quite despicable as of late so I am fine with seeing her no more.

I don't get why they didn't show Roger telling Brianna about what he saw.  In that conversation, Brianna was upset, and Roger was trying to reassure her.  Except he could have done that simply by telling her Malva was sleeping around and even tried to blackmail him.  Yet later, they have Claire mention that off-camera, Roger told them he saw Malva with another guy.  That was shockingly bad writing or editing (if there was a deleted scene).

I also agree with the points that the founding members of the Ridge community who started with Jamie would not have turned against him so easily.  Again, it is so contrived.  As Roger said, what a bunch of ungrateful people.

I just wish they didn't have to make characters act so dumb to make the plot work.  Claire using the ether downstairs when the evil little twit was walking up the path to the house was idiotic.  If she was afraid of the voices, an unpleasant encounter would Malva would have cleared her of that faster than the ether.  I guess two more episodes to see how this latest soap opera move will "resolve" itself.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2023 at 12:07 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I think I flipped it. The brother is the father of the baby and the dad killed her when he found out. 

And I was so disgusted with this episode that I forgot about who did what to whom because, STUPID STORY LINE.