Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Saturday in the Park

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

When does Jack become an alcoholic?  I thought it was when the kids were young but he was drinking a beer at dinner so he was not in recovery at that time. 

I think they were in the 8-10 age range when that storyline was happening...?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Katie111 said:

When does Jack become an alcoholic?  I thought it was when the kids were young but he was drinking a beer at dinner so he was not in recovery at that time.

Well, Jack got shit-faced while playing golf with Rebecca's father and his friends when they were dating.  And he did warm a lot of barstools before he met Rebecca.

And, I'm not a doctor or substance abuse counselor, but  I think alcoholics are born that way, they don't "become" alcoholics.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Meanwhile, are they going to devote any time to Kate’s new relationship with PMJ that we have seen ends up in marriage? Or will we ever get the how Rebecca and Miguel reconnected story?

• Love 9
31 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

My favorite moment was Randall slapping the phone from Kevin’s hand.

Yes! I forgot about that. Then when Kevin told Randall he gets why Randall’s kids didn’t want to come out. And Randall said “Love you too Kevin” and Kevin smiled. 

Beth had a couple “under her breath” comments that made me chuckle, she said something when Randall and Kate were hugging. 

• Love 23

I missed the Toby Kate fight outside the house because Milwaukee decided I needed to know election results RIGHT now. A banner wouldn’t do…..Sigh. 

Anyhoo, that kid who played Jack was ten times adorable and great line readings too. I really appreciated the limited vision view they showed. We had to wear glasses in nursing school for a variety of visual impairments.

I never really loved Toby but I feel like the show has given him the bum’s rush. Here’s your hat, what’s your hurry….the actor deserved better. 

• Love 19
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Eureka said:

Meanwhile, are they going to devote any time to Kate’s new relationship with PMJ that we have seen ends up in marriage? Or will we ever get the how Rebecca and Miguel reconnected story?

Much more interested in the latter. I don’t care about Philip (or Kate’s remarriage, period).

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 18
7 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

In case anyone else was wondering...

Fluffy Duck: Fluffy duck is the name of two different cocktails, both using advocaat as a common ingredient. One cocktail is a smooth, creamy drink based on white rum, and the other is a gin-based highball. Guessing Rebecca's was the first one (mostly because of the glass it appeared to be served in). 🦆

Dirty Banana: Popular on many Caribbean islands, the classic dirty banana cocktail combines rum, Kahlúa, or another coffee-flavored liqueur along with banana-flavored liqueur in an icy, creamy shake. 🍌

And then she has that blue drink.  I feel for her poor digestive tract.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

And then she has that blue drink.  I feel for her poor digestive tract.

She basically ordered a dozen drinks...I assume she didn't actually drink that many but obviously she had plenty, before she even ate anything. (One of them would most likely be enough to prevent me driving. Two would have me resting my head on the table. Three would have me on the floor.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

She basically ordered a dozen drinks...I assume she didn't actually drink that many but obviously she had plenty, before she even ate anything. (One of them would most likely be enough to prevent me driving. Two would have me resting my head on the table. Three would have me on the floor.)

She sobered up way too quickly.  If I had that many drinks on an empty stomach, I would either be passed out on the couch or paying homage to the porcelain god.  I would not have made it in my bed with my kids still talking coherently.

• Love 20

“Because that’s where Mommy and Daddy were happy.”  That broke me. 
And that scene with Toby looking at his little boy sleeping after, I totally would have climbed my big Toby-like ass in bed with him and held him all night. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Madison is moving way too fast with douche Elijiah. It's not going to work out.

Uh...how is he a douche?

Also, the proposal is the rapid time-line tv has a real problem. People are constantly getting engaged less than year into dating. People do that but you would think the norm was 3 to 6 months if you just followed tv.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Huh? Kate is the one in the house all week - she could have called a plumber at any time.                

She should have, but that would have upset Toby.  For as much as people complain about Kate being sensitive and flying off the handle over the smallest thing, Toby is the same way.  Kate calling a plumber would have had Toby going off on her about how she doesn't think he's man enough to do a simple home repair.  They had that fight last season.

Honestly, they both probably forgot about it once the leak stopped.

1 hour ago, CleoCaesar said:

I thought that was semi-clever of the show to illustrate how fluid our memories and perceptions are. Jack correctly remembers his accident happening on the day of the BBQ. Since he can't see the world around him, he might rely on other senses like smell and touch. He probably smelled the grilled meat and over time erroneously connected it/the smoker to his accident, when really they were unrelated.

Yes, smell would be very evocative to him.  Whenever he smells apples and pants together, he probably unconsciously touches his scar.

20 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

Anyhoo, that kid who played Jack was ten times adorable and great line readings too. I really appreciated the limited vision view they showed. We had to wear glasses in nursing school for a variety of visual impairments.

I was very impressed with how they showed the world of light and shadows from Jack's point of view.

54 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

My favorite moment was Randall slapping the phone from Kevin’s hand.

Echoing last week, when Rebecca took Randall's phone so he wouldn't do something impulsive.

53 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Right.  They should have been punished.  What if the house had caught on fire?  Even if the kids were able to get out, the babysitter was trapped.

How did she happen to have the phone with her in the bathroom?  Was she going to call Jack and Rebecca anyway to complain that the kids wouldn't go to sleep?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 11

This show never learned from going too hard with the propping up of Jack. I know they eventually cracked that halo but it was a little too much with how great Jack was.

They are doing the same with Kate. Making her look so amazing. She can do no wrong. Even when she does, she's rarely held accountable. 

• Love 12
14 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Wow, I really felt for Toby in that moment when he was standing in the yard after his fight with Kate, watching Kate being comforted by Kevin and Randall.  He seemed so alone.    It must suck coming last in your marriage behind your wife's siblings.

Totally agree. 

• Love 13

Next episode is supposed to be an episode of the chronological romance of Kate/Toby (a la the Randall/Beth episode a few seasons back) and the episode after that is called Day of the Wedding, where 'The Pearsons gather for Kate's wedding.' If they skip a shit-ton of steps to gloss over the divorce and rush into Kate and Phillip Mean Jerk, it's going to be such a narrative letdown and screwed-up way to tell the story.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17

Both Kate and Toby were equally to blame. But Toby seemed to own his part more than Kate, so I’ll give him the edge. 

Still, I’m not sure that locking the gate (or the door) would have necessarily kept Jack in. Both of those locks were easily within his reach. The kid is blind, he’s not stupid.

Look at Alzheimer’s Lady solving the mystery! Even with diminished brain cells, she’s smarter than the rest of them.

Mind your own business, Kevin and Randall. You were not witnessing any abuse. Toby didn’t even call her a Chatty Cathy.

56 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

“After three I’m under the table, after four I’m under my host.” Is that you, Dorothy Parker? 😛

Also, Rebecca had plenty to eat in those drinks. There was enough fruit on that glass to make a hat for Carmen Miranda. (Yeah, I’m old.)

• LOL 16
  • Love 8
38 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

This show never learned from going too hard with the propping up of Jack. I know they eventually cracked that halo but it was a little too much with how great Jack was.

They are doing the same with Kate. Making her look so amazing. She can do no wrong. Even when she does, she's rarely held accountable. 

But are they though?….I’m not seeing a ton on Team Kate out there.   I think the show is showing how they both contributed to the marriage ending.   They may even be purposely putting more of the blame on Kate.   

• Love 13

Does Kate not understand that all the coddling from her family means they don't think she's able to handle herself? How insulting. *She* should have been the one to tell Kevin and Randall to butt out, not Toby.

I'm not a plumbing expert, but wouldn't there have been warning signs for several weeks before a full-on, ceiling-falling-down catastrophe? I know there had been the earlier leak that Toby's dad - who I thought Toby had said was a plumber or at least a contractor - had fixed. Did he not tell them to watch for water stains or any other signs that it was happening again?

Spoiler

I'm so disgusted by the preview. Toby apparently agrees to give up the SF job and take the one in LA - so that Kate can have everything exactly as she wants - and Kate is still all woe-is-me and "love wasn't enough?" She's insufferable. 

• Love 16
(edited)

1. Little Jack saved this episode, he was amazingly adorable. If anyone needs to watch some adorable kids - check out Old Enough on Netflix - it's a Japanese reality show where toddlers get sent on errands (pick up dry cleaning, go buy something at the store, etc.)
2. I think the writers are trying to make me prefer Kate over Toby in this fight... but I see Toby's side in this. Why didn't Kate call a plumber once Toby got a job? That spot was still visible!
3. Damn, we only hear about Gregory, no Tim Omundson this time
4. Toby, you were taking that meat out way to late to smoke it - you'd want to start it around 9 AM to give it a nice low and slow smoking. Instead, you had it in a foil pan on a grill that was not smoking at all? This Is Us must not have anyone who is familiar with a smoker! What cut of meat was that, anyway? Toby didn't even marinate it or anything! Was there even a rub on it? Maybe it was pork shoulder and he was going to make some pulled pork... but still, you need some salt and pepper.

Edited by bros402
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I'm not a plumbing expert, but wouldn't there have been warning signs for several weeks before a full-on, ceiling-falling-down catastrophe? I know there had been the earlier leak that Toby's dad - who I thought Toby had said was a plumber or at least a contractor - had fixed. Did he not tell them to watch for water stains or any other signs that it was happening again?

Given how big the leak became, I would have expected to see evidence of water damage (like bubbling in the ceiling paint, or water spots appearing in the ceiling) in the time leading up to the event.  However, if you aren't looking for that kind of damage, it's possible to miss it.

7 minutes ago, Bumblebee84047 said:

Beth is a straight-up American hero, and nothing can convince me otherwise.

When Toby pointed out how much Beth had given up for Randall's flights of fancy, I did have a moment of "damn!"  Beth has really been on the giving end of that relationship for a long time with very little reciprocation from Randall. 

• Love 19
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

Given how big the leak became, I would have expected to see evidence of water damage (like bubbling in the ceiling paint, or water spots appearing in the ceiling) in the time leading up to the event.  However, if you aren't looking for that kind of damage, it's possible to miss it.

If they'd never had leaks before, the warning signs would have been easy to miss, but they did have one last season. Doesn't make sense to completely stop paying attention, especially if Toby's dad is not a licensed plumber.

• Love 6
(edited)

Kate is such a dumb bitch. Kevin and Randall needed to leave that argument on the lawn what a fucking joke. Team Toby lol and I hate saying stupid things like that. The kid big 3s were total brats this episode too. If I walked up on one of my siblings in argument with one of their spouses I would peace out of there. These characters suck. I’m supposed to admire them for this crap?

Toby is so horrible he went away to get a job to support his family. He should stay behind and live off stupid Kate’s part time job. Toby deserves better. The show trying to paint him as some shitty parent? Fuck off show. Oh poor Kate. Let’s pity that miserable bitch she’s just so innocent. I just dislike Kate so much.

Can Madison just got away. Who the fuck cares about her still.

The only good thing about this episode was drunk Rebecca and Kevin making that creepy doll call Kate bug.

Maybe Kate needs to go talk to her husband. Not be coddled by her brothers like usual.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 17

Beth (looking at the ceiling): Bad spirits up in there!

I swear, Beth Pearson, the marvelous Susan Kelechi Watson, is the main reason I'm still watching this show.

Mandy Moore has never looked more beautiful than she did for their anniversary dinner.

Kate Pearson is an entitled bitch. I actually feel sorry for Chrissy Metz, who's proven herself to be a good actress, that the writers have saddled her with such an awful character to portray.

When the pre-school big three were giving their explanations as to why they ganged up on the poor babysitter, I said out loud, "Oh poor Toby. He's about to get triple-teamed."

I loved last week's episode,  for the first time in a long time. This week, I'm right back to hate watching. 😠

• Love 24

3 hours ago, Eureka said:

Who's PMJ?

3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Honestly, they both probably forgot about it once the leak stopped.

Yes, smell would be very evocative to him.  Whenever he smells apples and pants together, he probably unconsciously touches his scar.

I was very impressed with how they showed the world of light and shadows from Jack's point of view.

Echoing last week, when Rebecca took Randall's phone so he wouldn't do something impulsive.

How did she happen to have the phone with her in the bathroom?  Was she going to call Jack and Rebecca anyway to complain that the kids wouldn't go to sleep?

Apples and pants?  Am I missing something here?

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Who's PMJ?

Apples and pants?  Am I missing something here?

PMJ = Philip Mean Jerk

I also wondered why little Jack thought the meat in the Big Green Egg smelled like apples and pants! Apples I get, but pants?! Geez, how many times do the Pearsons wear their pants before washing them?

So Beth had Hailey during the anniversary party, but where the heck was Hailey when they went to the park at the beginning of the episode? (BTW I hate Chicago, probably because I was a teenager in the ‘70s when all their stuff was being way overplayed on the radio.)

I’ve never liked Toby, but it was incredibly unfair for the Big Three to gang up on him like that.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Toby didn’t secure the gate, but Kate was too busy nagging at him every second to lock the freaking door and taught Jack how to unlock it. So it’s her fault too.

Kate only taught Jack how to open the door, not unlock it. She seemed to be keeping the lock a secret.

I agree with Kate in regards to the leak. As soon as their finances were better, Toby should have arranged a fix for the leaky roof.

Leaky pipe. I agree. Kate didn't get to see the repairs on the leaky pipe - she came home to a repaired kitchen. Toby called his Dad in to help with the finishing details. Toby made such a fuss about calling in a plumber and then did an amazing job by himself. Toby knew he'd done a half-assed fix for the pipe which is something Kate wouldn't know.  He should have called the plumber when he started earning the big bucks.

Toby said "What are you doing here, in my house, in my marriage?" he was 100% correct. Kate and Kevin are codependent

One of Katoby's earliest fights when they first started dating was Toby complaining about how codependent Kate and Kevin were (and this when Kate was being paid to be Kevin's assistant so it was kind of her job to help Kevin out).  So, it's not like it's totally new information for Toby. It's one of the shaky foundations they built their marriage on and so it's not surprising that the codependency issues is still percolating along and now exploding. 

The seeds to this marriage break-up were sewn long ago. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, nilyank said:

Of course, young Kate totally thinks it is perfectly right that her brothers locked their babysitter in

Channeling Calvin and Hobbes, and poor suffering Suzie....

Jack associates the entire collapse of Toby and Kate's marriage with the Big Green Egg because in all the panic and the trip to the hospital, no one thought to take the meat out.  So, several hours later...

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

Here's what Chris Sullivan (Toby) said about the Big Green Egg:

In a previous flashforward, Jack Jr., now a well-known musician, has a smoker of his own and he said that the Big Green Egg was the symbol of the end of his parents' relationship. We find out how he got the scar on his face — it wasn't due to the smoker. What does he mean when he called it the symbol?

It was the centerpiece of the day. It was the symbol, it was supposed to be something that brought everyone together. There are these symbols in our lives, and we think that there are easy fixes. Or "if we can just go on this vacation." Or "if we can just get rid of this credit card debt." Whatever the thing is that we think is going to fix everything. Toby has this idea that he's constantly chasing this Jack Pearson ideal of grand gestures and unifying the family. It doesn't always work out that way. The Green Egg, although it is not personally responsible as the fine people at Green Egg Smokers are glad to find out, it represents a day when things really began to fall apart.

https://people.com/tv/this-is-us-chris-sullivan-on-kate-and-tobys-explosive-fight/

• Useful 8
  • Love 3