Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Saturday in the Park

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

When Toby asks if “she” wants him there he could be talking about Hailey. Then Randall says “she” needs him or he’s still family or something to that effect, which could be in reference to Hailey as well. 

Randall on phone:  You coming down?
Toby:  I don't know if I should.
Randall: She'd want you to be there, Tobe

I can't imagine a situation where Randall would be the point of contact between Toby & Hailey.  She would've just told her dad directly if she wanted him there - no need to go through Randall.  To me, the scene only makes sense if something has happened to Kate.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

AAAAAHHHHHH! I never thought of that, and I hope that's not the case. 

Oh - so maybe they're estranged?  I hope not, too! 

But it sounds to me like whoever Randall is talking about WANTS Toby at the gathering, so I'm still wondering.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kate eventually poisons Jack and Hailey’s view of their father.  She hasn’t held back from fighting in front of them, or making sure to have discussions where they can’t hear it. 

Edited by Mrs Shibbles
  • Love 2

Hailey would be 10 or 11 years old at the time of the deathbed flash-forward. Can a child that age be estranged from a parent by their own choice? Also, isn't Toby already in PA when he has the phone call with Randall? Seems weird for him to have come all that way and only then wonder if "she" really wants him there.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

Here is the 2032 flashforward call, verbatim: Randall calls Toby and says, "Hey, you coming down?" Toby sighs and says, "Yeah, I don't know if I should." Randall says, "She wants you to be there, Tobe." Toby sighs again and says, "All right, I'll see you soon."

Toby didn't mention "her" (at least not directly), only his own misgivings. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

2030 flashforward call: Randall calls Toby and says, "Hey, you coming down?" Toby sighs and says, "Yeah, I don't know if I should." Randall says, "She wants you to be there, Tobe." Toby sighs again and says, "All right, I'll see you soon."

Thanks for the info. Not that I care who it is. But Rebecca could have planned this out before she got to this point and specified who she would want there. It's probably Kate they are referring to, but still could have been Rebecca. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Quiet1 said:

Thanks for the info. Not that I care who it is. But Rebecca could have planned this out before she got to this point and specified who she would want there. It's probably Kate they are referring to, but still could have been Rebecca. 

Do people really do that though? "At my deathbed vigil I want children A, B, and C, in-laws X and Y but not Z..." I've never heard of anyone doing that (or even assuming that there would be a deathbed vigil).

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Do people really do that though? "At my deathbed vigil I want children A, B, and C, in-laws X and Y but not Z..." I've never heard of anyone doing that (or even assuming that there would be a deathbed vigil).

It could have been as simple as "when the time comes, be sure Toby is included, he's still father to Jack and Hailey and I would like him to be here". She could have said this months or years before the deathbed vigil. 

I'm just throwing this out as it possibly still being Rebecca, again I don't know and I don't care. 

Edited by Quiet1
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Hailey would be 10 or 11 years old at the time of the deathbed flash-forward. Can a child that age be estranged from a parent by their own choice? Also, isn't Toby already in PA when he has the phone call with Randall? Seems weird for him to have come all that way and only then wonder if "she" really wants him there.

Maybe Kate and Phillip flew to PA ahead of the kids because of school/Rebecca's condition, whatever and Toby then flew from CA with the kids to bring them to see their grandmother one last time and that is why he was in PA.  It might also explain why he asked if 'she' really wanted him there, since he had come for the kids, not to see Rebecca specifically.

I don't think Rebecca left a list, more that, in the moment, Randall, Kate and Kevin felt that Toby should be there.  We've seen that Rebecca is quite fond of Toby.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 4

Rebecca is very fond of Toby as evidenced by that very sweet moment of her comforting him in Jack’s room. He’s the father of two of her grandchildren and a very good, loving father. It makes sense Rebecca would want him there, for her and for his children, who would also be there, even if she wasn’t able to convey that. It doesn’t have to be more complicated than that, especially seeing the actual transcript of what was said and what wasn’t said. 

• Love 8
On 4/12/2022 at 6:21 PM, chocolatine said:

No they don't.   I'm interested to see how this plays out.  I can't imagine Rebecca deciding she wants Toby at her death bed vigil when Kate (her best friend) has remarried years before.  Unless it's Hailey, and even that's a stretch,  I can't logically imagine a scenario where Toby would, post divorce, be a part of this🤔

• Love 4

The kids locking the babysitter in the closet seems in character for them.  My brother locked a babysitter out of the house once.  I don’t remember how just none of us let her back in. And yes we did all get in trouble. 
     I kind of get what Rebecca was saying that she was happy they stuck up for each other.  The heart were in the right place. The action was wrong and they should have been punished.   
     Little Jack falling.  Toby crying looking at little Jack.  Kate crying about her marriage.  That’s where mommy and daddy were happy.  It’s just too much for a sap like me.  
can we please have a little happinesses.  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, tribeca said:

I
     Little Jack falling.  Toby crying looking at little Jack.  Kate crying about her marriage.  That’s where mommy and daddy were happy.  It’s just too much for a sap like me.  
can we please have a little happinesses.  

I remember Dan promising after Jacks death more laughs but i don't recall many episodes or scenes. Thankfully Nicky and Beth provide the "Lenny" one liners I loved from L&O. No matter how awful they'd be a sarcastic or truthful funny line. Even Edie had one and hopefully more to come. The rest....they are trying way too hard to make it maudlin and sad. I see more coming with Miguel and Rebecca and I hope the sadness is gone for Toby and we can move on there. Leave us with smiles.

We will never get why Nicky was "dead" to some and not others and why his mom never mentioned him. He had a landline and listed number and address and the army and his buddies knew where he was. He was injured and family learns about that. That plot line still has Milo mentioning "what he would change" in interviews, then and recent, but they can still but a bandage on it. Sometimes the writing was great, other times it fell very flat.

• Love 5
On 4/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, CleoCaesar said:

Hey Kate, Toby left the baby gate open which led to Jack wandering around the house. You left the front door open which led to Jack wandering around Los Angeles. Shut the hell up.

THANK YOU! And wow, just wow, at that last scene. Kate with her brothers (as always) and Toby upstairs by himself. Rebecca thinking maybe her previous joy at the Big Three joining forces against an outsider (babysitter) came back to haunt Kate & Toby (another outsider). Shoot, they do the same thing to Miguel, don’t they?  Lots to contemplate there.  This show has had its ups and downs but it’s been genius in the way it’s crafted.

Edited by limecoke
  • Love 2
On 4/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, Empress1 said:
On 4/5/2022 at 7:13 PM, nilyank said:

he has to move the mattress while he was holding Jack

When Kate was nagging all "My 70-year-old mother is moving the mattress!" I thought, okay, but like, you can tell her not to do that and just wait a damn minute for Toby to show up. "Mom, hold on, don't do that. Toby will be here in a minute." Was Kate doing anything to move the mattress?

well it's not like Kate could help

• Love 3

(Paraphrasing)

”You are a 41 years old man who makes rash romantic decisions that perminate for decades. We are going to gonna nice scenic drive, have some boba tea and not send an impulse text to your baby momma.”- Randall

I died that was too funny. 

When little Jack walked out of the house I felt so bad for the adults. When my sister (who has a severe mental disability, mental age about 2) was about 7 or 8 she walked out of the house- my great aunt who was our nanny was in the basement doing laundry and my sister just turned the lock, and the knob and closed the door behind her. She was terrified- my sister has no language and no understanding of cars or danger. She walked down the street and was swinging on a swing in the park! Just like Jack did.

After that day all of the locks became double sided deadbolts and I grew up carrying my house key in my pocket. (So we could get out quickly)

Things like that happen. Our great aunt was a wonderful caregiver and very devoted to us. I’m just so glad Jack wasn’t seriously hurt. 

Rebecca was so quick to notice he wore his boots. I loved the scene with the actor describing his shoes and what they were for. He is too precious. 

Kids learn to open doors on their own- I am not surprised Jack knew how to do it, sighted or not, he’s just the right size to pick up that skill. 

Can I get the dress Rebecca was wearing in the 80s anniversary scene? It was so cute. 

• Love 3

We were living in a new development when my mentally challenged son unlocked our front door and wandered the neighborhood. Houses were still being built. As ran around looking for him, I saw plenty of nails and other debris on the streets. We were lucky he didn't step on anything with his bare feet.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

We were living in a new development when my mentally challenged son unlocked our front door and wandered the neighborhood. Houses were still being built. As ran around looking for him, I saw plenty of nails and other debris on the streets. We were lucky he didn't step on anything with his bare feet.

I’m so glad your son was okay! 

kids get out- it happens. It was an accident. I’ve been on Toby’s side more than Kate’s lately, but here I think he was being unfair to her. 1. Her song was amazing, 2. Teaching Jack how to identify his boots was important and it’s setting him up for great skills, 3. He’s a toddler- they get into shit. My sister has been a “toddler” for 32 years (she is 34) and if the family broke down every time she “got into” something we couldn’t function.

Jack is fine cognitively, he should be learning these things- and they forget they are new parents, he’s just over 2, they will learn so much by the time Haley is that age. 

But we know this isn’t about Jack walking to the park and needing stitches- it’s about Toby & Kate’s failing relationship. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:15 PM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

[...]

I absolutely loved all the scenes between Kevin and Randall. It is so nice to see them joking around and being bros together. "How did you know that?" "It's a twin thing. Also, I heard her say it."

I enjoy Kevin and Randall, too, but this particular remark struck me wrong.  We have never seen any evidence that the three of them casually refer to the fact that only two of them are related biologically.  Big Three this, Big Three that.  Suddenly Kevin is describing himself and Kate as "twins"? 

So now on top of dealing with all the other Golden Boy & Princess Kate mishigas, Randall is just the sibling who shares a birthday with The Twins?  🤨

• Love 1
1 hour ago, candall said:

I enjoy Kevin and Randall, too, but this particular remark struck me wrong.  We have never seen any evidence that the three of them casually refer to the fact that only two of them are related biologically.  Big Three this, Big Three that.  Suddenly Kevin is describing himself and Kate as "twins"? 

So now on top of dealing with all the other Golden Boy & Princess Kate mishigas, Randall is just the sibling who shares a birthday with The Twins?  🤨

They really aren't twins either, besides it being inconsiderate to Randall. He didn't ask his dad to replace him and he had to find out about Kyle from a neighbor for Pete's sake.

• Love 2
On 5/2/2022 at 5:43 PM, candall said:

I have heard Kate say “we’re twins” before. I don’t think Randall is hurt or offended by that statement. Kevin and Kate did share a uterine environment- which I don’t think Randall is threatened by that.*

No they aren’t twins but I guess that flows off the tongue better than “we are multiples” or guess she could say “womb mate”. 

*He was justifiably hurt when Kate said that she was the only one who could carry on a piece of their Dad, as if genetics was the only way to carry on a piece of someone, and her biological brother was sterile/incapable of raising for some reason. That statement was just odd and not grounded in reality (even regarding genetics- Kevin was standing right there).  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I have heard Kate say “we’re twins” before. I don’t think Randall is hurt by offended by that statement. Kevin and Kate did share a uterine environment- which I don’t think Randall is threatened by that.*

No they aren’t twins but I guess that flows off the tongue better than “we are multiples” or guess she could say “womb mate”. 

*He was justifiably hurt when Kate said that she was the only one who could carry on a piece of their Dad, as if genetics was the only way to carry on a piece of someone, and her biological brother was sterile/incapable of raising for some reason. That statement was just odd and not grounded in reality (even regarding genetics- Kevin was standing right there).  

yes, I forgot about the other really dumb statement they had Kate make. She knew the risks too and didn't try to be healthier before her pregnancy but to say she was "it" was crass.. You don't stop being a triplet or twin even if one dies. I remember reading many articles about it when friends like myself had multiples but most moms don't "forget" the other baby.

I love the show but the premise you bring home another needy baby right away to fill the third crib was not realistic but I suspended reality as you do with TV.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, debraran said:

yes, I forgot about the other really dumb statement they had Kate make. She knew the risks too and didn't try to be healthier before her pregnancy but to say she was "it" was crass.. You don't stop being a triplet or twin even if one dies. I remember reading many articles about it when friends like myself had multiples but most moms don't "forget" the other baby.

I love the show but the premise you bring home another needy baby right away to fill the third crib was not realistic but I suspended reality as you do with TV.

I understand why Kate didn’t consider herself a triplet though- Kyle died at birth, Kevin and Randall are the only brothers she knows (one she shared a uterus with, one adopted).

My cousin states “I was a twin.” when sharing that her brother died at birth (they were 29 weeks in 1969, and he didn’t survive). She considers herself an only child unless explaining her birth story and her parents referred to her as an only child, but it wasn’t a secret that her twin brother died at birth. That was a different time though and while human emotions don’t change- how people are expected to handle/talk about it often does. 

I don’t think Rebecca (or Jack) ever forgot about Kyle, but with three living children to raise she processed it differently than she may have otherwise, just because her mental and emotional energy was taken up being a mom to THREE infants. For Kevin and Kate, they didn’t know Kyle existed until they were in elementary school- a neighbor told Randall. 

I say all this to say I get the “twin” thing with Kate and Kevin and I also get the bond Kate and Randall share. Kevin and Randall seemed to always be the ones with the relationship issues. They both have always loved Kate a lot and were united in protecting her (even more than they were united in protecting their Mom- but Kevin was always jealous that Randall and Rebecca had a special bond). 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, they are painting her as the most awesome mother in the world but she did not get to a healthier weight for her pregnancy. Her priority was passing on Jack’s amazing genes. 

• Love 3
On 4/5/2022 at 7:56 PM, ams1001 said:

In case anyone else was wondering...

Fluffy Duck: Fluffy duck is the name of two different cocktails, both using advocaat as a common ingredient. One cocktail is a smooth, creamy drink based on white rum, and the other is a gin-based highball. Guessing Rebecca's was the first one (mostly because of the glass it appeared to be served in). 🦆

Dirty Banana: Popular on many Caribbean islands, the classic dirty banana cocktail combines rum, Kahlúa, or another coffee-flavored liqueur along with banana-flavored liqueur in an icy, creamy shake. 🍌

Thanks for looking those up! The 70s and 80s had some of the weirdest named cocktails. I noticed that the waiter also mentioned the Between the Sheets cocktail. I spent one summer as a waitress and my first night someone asked for this drink. I thought they were kidding because of the name, but the bartender assured me this was a real thing. It is quite potent, and probably would have put Rebecca under the table on top of the Fluffy Ducks and Dirty Banana. 

On 4/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, CrystalBlue said:

Why anyone would want or allow their sibling to support them and their family is beyond me.

You might be surprised (or not). Kevin is clearly the most financially successful family member, and in some families the unspoken expectation is that he'll "share" this bounty with everyone else, even if they are capable of taking care of themselves. Think of the celebrities and even lottery winners who go broke buying houses and cars for multiple family members. 

Meant to come here earlier after I saw this episode....

The scene of Jack at the hospital getting stitches kicking  & screaming made me remember the same happening to me. No, didn't escape the house to go outside lol.

story below- hidden so not to bore people to tears 🙃

Spoiler

Must have been around... 3 or 4? some 40+ years ago lol. I THINK it was around Christmas time maybe?- I had a lil blue "egg" type thing with little toys in it; walking down the steps to the rec room.  Carefully put the blue thing on the step, turned...and guess missed a step and fell, a short fall thankfully (suspect my poor vision didn't help...). Next thing I remember is the ER with bright lights, doctor trying to stitch my wound and me kicking and screaming.  I also remember the nurse giving me a candy cane :). 

Little Jack was adorable and loved the 'teaching moments' with Kate and the song to teach Jack how to navigate (taught him a little too well- he had it memorized quite well!)

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/6/2022 at 2:15 AM, VanillaBear85 said:

I did not expect the Rebecca doll to be so accurate. It was definitely Rebecca to me. 

I want an episode where it comes to life, has big sharp teeth and chases the Big Three around the house with a spear.

ETA: I. Hate. Kate.

Edited by millennium