Type keyword(s) to search

The Lost City (2022)

Browncoat
  • Start Topic

I couldn't find a topic for this movie -- I hope it's okay that I started one!

I just got back from seeing it, and I thought it was hilarious!  I mean, it's a fairly formulaic rom-com, but it's a fun ride.  Daniel Radcliffe's character is simultaneously a mustache-twirling villain and a petulant child.  Channing Tatum is surprising -- he really shines.  Not as much as the much-talked-about purple sequined disco-ball jumpsuit, of course, which really should have a credit all its own.  Sandra Bullock should always do physical comedy.  She's genius at it.  And then there's Brad Pitt.  Total caricature, but also awesome.  His scenes alone are well worth the price of admission.

There's a mid-credit scene to look out for as well.

Seeing Daniel Radcliffe in this made me think he would have made an excellent young Dumbledore instead of Jude Law.  Not that there's anything wrong with Jude Law, mind you, but having Daniel be young Dumbledore would satisfy my fanwanking that Harry Potter grew up to be Headmaster of Hogwarts.

• Love 12
(edited)

We just saw this tonight and I don't think I can disagree with anything you said except that I thought Daniel Radcliff was the weak link. I felt like he was playing the same character that he played in Now You See Me 2. 

Other than, I really enjoyed it. Channing, Sandra and Brad had great chemistry and I laughed a lot. It was like Romancing the Stone, but different enough that, while formulaic, it didn't feel like a total retread of it. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 5
(edited)

I loved this more than I expected to. And it was better than Romancing the Stone, so there! Between this and Marry Me, maybe they're trying to make dumb romcoms better! Or maybe, as Alan put it, you shouldn’t dismiss even schlocky entertainment because it makes people happy. A good message there!

Channing went full himbo on this one and I love him for it. His scenes with Brad were priceless, although him getting shot threw me. I mean, I KNEW that was going to happen but I didn’t expect it to be so graphic. And OF COURSE he winds up okay at the end. Movies, ya gotta love them lol.

The guns on Brad, though…and I’m not talking about his ammo 😉 

I respect Daniel Radcliffe for just taking whatever role comes his way because he knows everyone will always remember him as Harry Potter either way. That being said, I want him to take the lead in romcoms in the future.

If this is Sandra’s last movie for a while, she went out on a high note. Bravo.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7

I saw it last week and loved it.  Loved Brad Pitt's extended cameo.  It's nice to see something that isn't based on a comic book or an old TV show for a change.

• Love 8
On 4/9/2022 at 5:15 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Between this and Marry Me, maybe they're trying to make dumb romcoms better! Or maybe, as Alan put it, you shouldn’t dismiss even schlocky entertainment because it makes people happy. A good message there!

There's very little intersection in the Venn diagram of my moviegoing tastes and the general public's, and there was no way I was going to see Marry Me.  But I saw the trailer for The Lost City a few times and it looked entertaining.  So based on that and the comments here, I went and it was a hoot.  I was kind of internally pleading with the movie to be good from the beginning, but then Brad Pitt ran up the palm tree and I thought, "That's it.  I'm in."

• Love 4

I'm taking Channing Tatum's stage entrance to be an homage to Gob Bluth - the song, the prancing about....all of it!

Good movie to pass 2 hours. Cracking chemistry with the leads and I'm loving Daniel Radcliffe's choice of being a deranged British brat. Long may he reign!

• Love 5

Just saw this tonight on Paramount+ and really enjoyed it! It was just silly, romantic fun. Did not see the Brad Pitt thing coming and literally screamed out loud. Then I laughed out loud at "I can taste his thoughts".  Just a fun way to pass a night in.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/10/2022 at 8:12 PM, jah1986 said:

Then I laughed out loud at "I can taste his thoughts".  Just a fun way to pass a night in.

I laughed out loud when Brad Pitt said to Sandra Bullock about Channing Tatum, "He said 'irregardless'" and they both derisively laughed.  The way they had Tatum do it was a tiny bit tortured, but the payoff made it worth it.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:42 AM, Impish Dragon said:

@StatisticalOutlier if you haven't seen it already, Marry Me is worth a watch. 

I go to the movies a lot and saw that preview probably every single time, and was just turned off by Jennifer Lopez--mainly the scene of her dancing in the classroom.  It just seemed like such a vanity play, which is the opposite of what Sandra Bullock was doing in Lost City, although I was frequently taken out of that movie by wondering what kind of industrial anti-nip-slip tape her character had while running all around the jungle.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
(edited)

I've had nightmares about squeezing through tunnels like that. That was really hard to watch.

I needed something light to watch. This was perfect for this evening. I love Sandra Bullock.

The mid-credit scene cracked me up, too.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4

I really liked this since it never really had a horrible scene. Channing Tatum could have been funnier, some of his scenes seemed awkward. I was really mad when they were trapped in the crypt, putting your legs on the lid and pushing would have popped it right open. I had a good laugh when Julian slipped to his death after laughing at Alan tripping. The best scene was Alan pushing Loretta up the cliff with his head.

• Love 1

I was sort of half watching for the first half - I was liking it but it wasn't absolutely captivating. A couple chuckles at Brad Pitt and Channing Tatum panicking about the blood. But the leeches scene came and I had to pause the movie I was laughing so hard. Channing and Sandra are both so good at physical comedy, this was a great movie for them. 

Has Sandra said she's retiring? What a bummer, a bunch of her movies are among my favorites.

• Love 2

Oof.  I was so bored.  Brad Pitt and Daniel Radcliffe seemed to be the only ones having fun.  Channing Tatum tried - and I did laugh at the fight on top of the truck "time out! time in!"  but was just OK.   Sandra Bullock seemed to be sleep walking through most of the movie.   Can't help but compare to the far superior Romancing the Stone, where Kathleen Turner's character drives much of the action to rescue her sister - in this one, things just happen to Bullock.   

It was a mistake IMO to romantically pair Bullock's and Tatum's characters.  They had zero chemistry.  Pitt and Bullock - yes.  Tatum and Pitt - yes.  Surprising to me because I've liked Sandra Bullock in most everything I've seen her in and she is charismatic.  I don't know what happened with this one.

I was really looking forward to this and was disappointed.   The visuals weren't even that good.    Glad I caught it streaming and didn't pay for the theater. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, raven said:

Oof.  I was so bored.  Brad Pitt and Daniel Radcliffe seemed to be the only ones having fun.  Channing Tatum tried - and I did laugh at the fight on top of the truck "time out! time in!"  but was just OK.   Sandra Bullock seemed to be sleep walking through most of the movie.   Can't help but compare to the far superior Romancing the Stone, where Kathleen Turner's character drives much of the action to rescue her sister - in this one, things just happen to Bullock.   

It was a mistake IMO to romantically pair Bullock's and Tatum's characters.  They had zero chemistry.  Pitt and Bullock - yes.  Tatum and Pitt - yes.  Surprising to me because I've liked Sandra Bullock in most everything I've seen her in and she is charismatic.  I don't know what happened with this one.

I was really looking forward to this and was disappointed.   The visuals weren't even that good.    Glad I caught it streaming and didn't pay for the theater. 

It reminded me of Romancing the Stone, too. :)

I really enjoyed the first half, and thought the second half was an okay adventure-romance movie. But did everyone forget halfway through the movie that it was also supposed to be a comedy? The only joke I recall after the hour mark was the hashtag girl reading Loretta's latest book to Nana in the final scene.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, Anela said:

Sandra Bullock seemed to be sleep walking through most of the movie. 

Brad Pitt did a good job of parodying his own reputation.
Daniel Radcliffe was swinging for the fences -- and it mostly worked.
Channing Tatum seemed 120% committed and willing to suffer any amount of humiliation for laughs (and quite a commitment physically, too). 

I was surprised how tame this movie felt.  It was 'cute', 'amusing' but not exactly laugh-out-loud funny.  Most of the humor was the result of slightly awkward situations - not slap-stick moments.  It felt too safe and not willing to risk offending anyone. 
It was as if the producers couldn't bring themselves to make too much fun of Bullock or make her the butt of  jokes.  Channing Tatum seemed to take all the pies to the face for the movie. 

There were some clever lines - but they tended to land flat - and clever isn't the same as funny.
But despite all that, we didn't regret the time we spent watching it.

Edited to add:  I really enjoyed all the "Big D" inuendo at the beginning of the movie.  They should have kept the name of Bullock's character's book as the movie title: The Lost City of D - - and just gone for more raunchy humor. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha