Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E05: Don't Mess With BBQ

• Start Topic

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Souris said:

So many chefs didn’t seem to understand the Quickfire assignment.

ITA.  I thought it should show that Texas toast was the origin or inspiration for the dish, rather that something that had nothing in common except using bread.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I like Brooke.  I love her food (not just through the TV screen; I've eaten it) and she's quite impressively skilled as a competitor in these types of challenges -- she's been on Top Chef twice and Tournament of Champions twice (well, three times, but we don't know the results of III yet as it's still airing), and of those four times competing against other highly acclaimed chefs, she's won twice and come in second twice -- so I enjoy when she's a guest judge, because of her experience as a cheftestant.  (And I've never had any problems with her personality, so there's nothing to turn me off her.)

I've grown to respect Brooke more since her initial Top Chef experiences.  Early on, it was hard to get a 'vibe' on her personality and how she related to others.  I think she's come a long way - BUT - just one suggestion:  Unless it's my own TV's sound set-up, I find Brooke's voice bordering on too high pitched. ??  I guess I wasn't aware of it until she began appearing on more episodes.  I began noting the pleasant cadence of Padma's voice, and I couldn't help but note the difference in how, I, as a viewer, 'took in' more of what Padma had to say.  Not that I think it's a major issue for Brooke.  Simply working with a vocal coach can do wonders to finding one's peak speaking pitch!  🎵 

I find all the Brooke love now interesting since I got a lot of shit on the board for liking her in her first 2 seasons on TC.  Back then most people couldn't stand her.

• Love 1

Another person here that once liked Brooke but has cooled on her in recent years.  Something about her attitude has changed.  She seems to think she's all that and like @mlp said, there's smugness about her now.  I think she has become a little stuck on herself.  Also, I keep hearing people say she does too much botox and fillers and it has altered her appearance for the worse.

• Love 4

"Why does it need to be Texan? Can't it just be toast?

I love Jackson!!! He cracks me up with his lines and mannerisms. I love the amused, mildly snarky, deadpan delivery. I must admit in the very first episode when they aired his confessional about losing his taste, I thought he (or the elves) we going for some kind of "Muhahaha" slightly villainous edit! But he's just a nice and hilarious dude who can cook!!! 

I am going to make some kind of shrimp toast for Easter since we've all agreed we are not going to bring meat to the potluck. 

Looooove this season! 

• Love 4

The Texas toast thing is about innovating without losing the main identity. "thick grilled bread" is one thing you can't change, like with the queso challenge, I think it was Jackson who made a freaking frico or something. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, Intuition said:

Another person here that once liked Brooke but has cooled on her in recent years.  Something about her attitude has changed.  She seems to think she's all that and like @mlp said, there's smugness about her now.  I think she has become a little stuck on herself.  Also, I keep hearing people say she does too much botox and fillers and it has altered her appearance for the worse.

When Brooke was just a lowly contestant on the show she had a ton of botox and fillers. But she's getting really chubby (and wearing the same stretchy dresses as Gail) and that's probably why the men aren't googie eyed anymore. She clearly did the "profile lift" that took all the fat under her chin and got a chin implant-- so her face looks good.  But  her adolescent hair styles. I always thought she seemed smug, but then again, her face is always so frozen it's hard to tell if she just can't make expressions or intonations. And she's clearly vain that she started the botox and plastic surgery so young. If you look at her Instagram, it's packed with selfies of her with her hair and make-up done. I think what is annoying is how high school girl she is and how hard she tries to be the "cool hot girl." I think if she stopped trying so hard she would be more likeable. 

Edited by bravofan27
  • Love 2
On 4/2/2022 at 12:43 PM, mlp said:

I was worried about Jackson when he said he was going to grind his brisket.  That sounded like a weirdly bad idea to me.  Obviously, he knew what he was doing.  

I hope Brooke isn't going to show up on more episodes.  She seems to be an excellent cook and she seems to be respected for that but her smug, humorless personality rubs me the wrong way.  Now she's even showing up regularly on FN so I can't avoid her.

I don’t know what it is about Brooke but she totally bugs the shit out of me

• Love 7
1 hour ago, stacyasp said:

I don’t know what it is about Brooke but she totally bugs the shit out of me

Same. I'd bet my retirement savings she was a high school cheerleader. 

• Love 2

I was actually wanting to try J-Bar-M after watching this episode. I just read that the pit master and his fiancée, who was the chef there, recently left the restaurant. The article mentions this episode of Top Chef. For local reference, “EaDo” is the term used (for better or worse) for the gentrified area east of downtown Houston. https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/04-14-22-jasmine-barela-willow-villarreal-chefs-leave-j-bar-m-barbecue-eado/?fbclid=IwAR3EdKXlcCuj4cT9MyQjSBMoryrL1MkTDi0Axt0llhzOuDBEqEOqPOmXjes

• Love 1