Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Mary had a little hysterectomy

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Brilliant move on Doug's part at the end. 

The whole campus set up was screamingly funny with the uber feminist group. 

Joyce's sister is a total scene stealer, even her 'Beccckkkkyy!' when Bambi handed over the magazine to the housewife in the parking lot had be going. It's real talent to have few lines and be able to stick the timing.

• Love 3

I know she probably presumes no one there subscribes to her philosophy, but Joyce and a few cases of magazines needed to walk down to sorority row.

I'm with you, DoctorAtomic -- still loving the sister, she's a highlight of every episode she's in.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Joyce's sister is a total scene stealer, even her 'Beccckkkkyy!' when Bambi handed over the magazine to the housewife in the parking lot had be going. It's real talent to have few lines and be able to stick the timing.

That's Lennon Parham and she has been in a lot of things but I recommend a series she wrote and created with her good friend, Jessica St. Claire, called Playing House.

• Love 1
On 4/2/2022 at 12:04 AM, Irlandesa said:

Is next week the season finale already?  Bummer.

Nope! There are ten episodes this season, according to IMDB. Two next week and two the week after. 

I didn't like Joyce that much in the first few episodes and was worried she was going to be the "humorless feminist" stock character, but she's grown on me. The characters all feel like real people--even the ex-boyfriend has shading and isn't the jerk he seemed like in the first episode. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I felt like Tina's stance in this episode felt a little jarring. Maybe I've already forgotten, but it seemed like news to me that she was this adamantly against Minx the whole time. Had that been clear to everyone else?

I vaguely remember her questioning it initially and she always seems kinda sour to me so I guess that could be because she just really thinks it's stupid.

Tina is the character that's the least developed to me. I feel like I don't really know anything about her or what her motivations are. 

7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I can’t even remember what happened with the missing $50,000 lol. Doug took it, right? And I guess it was for Minx in some way?

I think it was for printing.  Instead of starting with a small circulation, he went big and did it behind Tina's back.  I get the feeling she thinks he's gambling big on an unproven concept.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am enjoying the two steps forward, one step back nature of the travails of getting Minx off the ground.  Seeing Doug scramble and scheme is also very enjoyable.

Also, I found it that feminist collective meeting a hoot.  Joyce being confronted with the extremist, absurdist versions of herself. 

On 4/6/2022 at 9:40 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Tina is the character that's the least developed to me. I feel like I don't really know anything about her or what her motivations are. 

I think the show is playing its cards close to its chest with Tina and is doing small reveals.  Unlike, say, Bambi where I think they are having fun dropping bombs about her (she went to Julliard?).  They are peeling Tina in layers and laid some breadcrumbs.  We know she and Doug go back to the beginning of the enterprise, selling stuff out of the trunk of his car in the early days,  and that she is definitely more his partner than his secretary.  She knows him better than anyone else and can manipulate him.  She is really smart.  Also she has amassed her own connections separate from Doug over the years that she can call in a pinch and get stuff done.  I get the sense he is the visionary and charismatic personality (also he is a white guy so he is the face of the company and can get them access to things she can't) but she is the one who is quietly in the background getting stuff done. And finally, I am sure that either she and Dough went there sexually in the past and decided to not mess up a good thing or they have been operating under a lot of UST over the years because I see both actors adding in little touches that speak to an intimacy that goes just a tick beyond being BFFs forever.

• Useful 1