Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E16: Trevor’s Pants

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I think Hetty's boundary might conform to the actual boundaries of the property, since she was its owner. I don't know about all the others though, they might have overlapping territories that don't exactly match. Pete's might extend further to the back of the house and Thor's to the front, with Alberta's and Trevor's centered exactly on the house, for example.

I will give the original show one thing over its adaptation, the little Plague Girl was creepy/hilarious in a way the basement dwellers just can't match.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 1
On 4/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Do straight guys think they'll turn gay if they wear another guy's underwear for a few hours? And, as mentioned above, he could just turn them inside out.

Trevor wasn't worried about the boxers.  It was the suit pants he didn't want touching another guy's junk.  Which, from a hygiene pov, makes some sense.  Not a lot, mind you, since Pinkus could've had the pants cleaned, but at least a tiny bit.

• Love 4
On 3/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, Annber03 said:

"Is this a sex thing? Yeah, it's a sex thing. I'm out." LOL, poor Sasappis. Also loved Pete's reaction to the idea of being part of a throuple with Thor and Flower.

Flower's suggestion to placate Thor on the "finding a third" thing, though. OMG, I laughed so hard XD. 

But ohhhhhh, Thor's comment to Flower about being willing to wait. My heart <3!

As for the main story, ohhhhhh, Trevor. Wow. His story was way sadder than I thought it'd be! Poor guy! I loved Sasappis doing his part to protect Trevor from getting in trouble with the other guys, and keeping an eye on him after his death to see what happened next. I love that this became a way for them to bond on some level, and I REALLY loved all the ghosts banding together to help him make Ari be (literally) haunted over what he did. I was cheering right along with them (watching Hetty in particular yell, "Chug, chug, chug!" was highly entertaining). Sam getting in on it by encouraging Ari with the bottle was the icing on the cake :D. 

And their efforts paid off for Jay and Sam financially, too, so yay!

Good mix of sad and funny, this episode. Also, Trevor's reminiscing about the year 2000 both made me nostalgic and feel old all at once :p. 

I was finally able to watch over the weekend, and just yes to all of this. 

I love the show, I love that Trevor is a good guy, and I adore Sas, and Isaac's unrequited gasps.

I have a lot of questions around Trevor's backstory, but just I'm enjoying the hell out of this show.

• Love 12

Since the Bros all called their dads, I expect someone's dad said: no, don't throw him in the lake. Leave him there and we can make sure the coroner says it was a heart attack or something. These guys definitely cannot crime. But they have money.

Also Ari looked MUCH older than 22 years on from when he was Trevor's douchebro...the stress must have aged him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
43 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Since the Bros all called their dads, I expect someone's dad said: no, don't throw him in the lake. Leave him there and we can make sure the coroner says it was a heart attack or something. These guys definitely cannot crime. But they have money.

I wondered about this too👆 but then Ari was freaking out about the lake every time Sam brought it up🤣, so I figured they must've really thrown Trevor's body in the lake. 

42 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Also Ari looked MUCH older than 22 years on from when he was Trevor's douchebro...the stress must have aged him.

The douchebros were said to be in their early 30s, so Ari was about mid 50s. The actor-comedian who played present day Ari, Rob Huebel, is 52, and looks even younger when his hair isn't silver white -- which it was in this episode.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wondered about this too👆 but then Ari was freaking out about the lake every time Sam brought it up🤣, so I figured they must've really thrown Trevor's body in the lake. 

Plus, Sass ended the story with "and that's exactly what they did."

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Trevor wasn't worried about the boxers.  It was the suit pants he didn't want touching another guy's junk.  Which, from a hygiene pov, makes some sense.  Not a lot, mind you, since Pinkus could've had the pants cleaned, but at least a tiny bit.

Unless they had oozing sores or anal leakage, the hygiene excuse is kind of overblown. All he had to do was get the pants dry cleaned. Twice, even. 

As much as I liked knowing how Trevor lost his pants, on reflection, this was one of the dumber ghost back stories, and that's a shame. 

The douchebros had a hot girl limo driver and they didn't invite her in to party? For that matter, they didn't arrange hookers for the weekend? These were finance douches, "Bonfire of the Vanities"-type "masters of the universe." They weren't going to be crude and disgusting about their superhot limo driver once they were alone?

They bought that Trevor had sex in the limo, then walked in from outside half naked? That he took off his pants and underwear to bang the limo girl, but left his tie, shirt, and jacket on? If you're going for a quickie, just whip it out; don't bother to undress halfway and head back inside, leaving your wallet in your pants with an unknown person.

And did the limo driver not wonder why the guy she banged in the limo the day before was not coming back with them? Or the fact that a naked guy headed down the driveway? (Because if she was waiting around long enough for Trevor to have sex with her, then they had obviously hired her to wait around for the weekend.)

There where -- what -- at least half a dozen people or more involved in covering up Trevor's death, and no one in 20 years said anything?

If Trevor was as high and drunk as he supposedly was to die from a massive heart attack, he was remarkably lucid and clear-thinking.

I know I'm overanalyzing, but Trevor's alive story could have been so much better. It feels like the writers didn't give his as much attention as they did to the others'.

At least he died leaving a good-looking corpse.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

They bought that Trevor had sex in the limo, then walked in from outside half naked? That he took off his pants and underwear to bang the limo girl, but left his tie, shirt, and jacket on? If you're going for a quickie, just whip it out; don't bother to undress halfway and head back inside, leaving your wallet in your pants with an unknown person.

Are you thinking like a sober person, or a person drunk and on drugs?  I said before that Trevor (and everyone else) seemed pretty lucid.  But, they'd all taken at least one pill of some sort and had been drinking.  Not the best time for critical thinking.

7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

And did the limo driver not wonder why the guy she banged in the limo the day before was not coming back with them? Or the fact that a naked guy headed down the driveway? (Because if she was waiting around long enough for Trevor to have sex with her, then they had obviously hired her to wait around for the weekend.)

She probably wouldn't have cared about the naked guy.  As far as missing someone (who she didn't actually have sex with), they probably just told her that he was staying on.  It's not like she would have known which douche bag was the home owner's relative.  And that's assuming she bothered wtih a head count in the first place.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

What might the green, blue, and yellow pills have been?

How much trouble would the bros have been in if they had called an ambulance for Trevor? The police would have investigated, and the bros were high enough to babble, but they might have gotten away with drug possession charges.

Guys like that seem to think they are invincible, and don't realize how quickly their careers can come crashing down when the stock market does, even though they might have heard about the recessions of the 1970s and 1980s, and jokes like these:
Q: Hod do you call your yuppie stockbroker?
A: "Waiter!"
Q: How many yuppie stockbrokers can fit in a pickup truck?
A: Only three, to leave room for the lawnmowers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The douchebros had a hot girl limo driver and they didn't invite her in to party? For that matter, they didn't arrange hookers for the weekend? These were finance douches, "Bonfire of the Vanities"-type "masters of the universe." They weren't going to be crude and disgusting about their superhot limo driver once they were alone?

In my headcanon, the douchebros were asking themselves "Trevor thinks that Jeff guy from the limo company is hot and banged him? What was in those pills?"

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

Are you thinking like a sober person, or a person drunk and on drugs?  I said before that Trevor (and everyone else) seemed pretty lucid.  But, they'd all taken at least one pill of some sort and had been drinking.  Not the best time for critical thinking.

I agree with you which is why what Trevor did for Pinkus was so awesome because he was totally blazed yet his 'goodness' still came through. 

I do wonder about who Trevor left behind. Also, it was said his bros dropped him in the lake but it did not say if they also then reported it to authorities as 'my bro was high took a walk and he never came back.' So authorities worked the missing person case, found him in the lake and that was that as there was no apprent foul play, case closed. I mean he was a well connected young man, hense his ability to do well in the crazy finance market of the day so he would be missed. Anyway, like all the ghosts stories, we may never know what 'really' happened. 

But I don't care, I love this show.

• Love 2

Since we are all overthinking this, if the douchebros had thrown Trevor into the lake (and didn't weigh him down), he would have come up a floater, and they could have plausible deniability: we didn't know he was so high. He must've gone outside after we all passed out. (And again, rich dads who could cover the whole thing up.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Since we are all overthinking this, if the douchebros had thrown Trevor into the lake (and didn't weigh him down), he would have come up a floater, and they could have plausible deniability: we didn't know he was so high. He must've gone outside after we all passed out. (And again, rich dads who could cover the whole thing up.)

Yeah.

He could have been thrown in the lake AND been found/buried by his family.

I wonder if ghost friendship/community/interest in the world is enough to keep a ghost on earth. Thor had an option to get sucked off and didn’t take it. I hope none go involuntarily. I can see Trevor having good friends and too much fun to want to leave, even if his life/death had full closure.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, KarenX said:

I wonder if ghost friendship/community/interest in the world is enough to keep a ghost on earth. Thor had an option to get sucked off and didn’t take it. I hope none go involuntarily. I can see Trevor having good friends and too much fun to want to leave, even if his life/death had full closure.

They thought he was "getting sucked off," but it was just the lights from a police cruiser asking why they were burning a boat in the lake.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, KarenX said:

Now you have me wondering if you only get one chance to get sucked off. Like, if Trevor finding out the truth now allowed him to be sucked off, but he just found his real bros so he wants to stay is that it, is he stuck here for eternity? That would suck if, when the others get their chance at being sucked off they take it and he ends up alone! (this is all hypothetical and really just a chance for me to repeatedly say sucked off because I, apparently, am a douche bro. lol

My favorite, thing about this show...well, the cast and characters but also that I can laugh and cry or at least get all teary eyed, in the same ep. I was dubious at first, as I tend not to like American remakes of British comedies but I love this show. 

• Love 6
On 4/4/2022 at 3:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

Wasn't he played by 2 different actors? Besides, I think the older Ari looks great for someone in his 50s. For a moment I thought Anderson Cooper was making a cameo.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, SmithW6079 said:

If Trevor was as high and drunk as he supposedly was to die from a massive heart attack, he was remarkably lucid and clear-thinking.

Do we know he was high and drunk, though? We only saw him down 1 alcoholic beverage, and had a 2nd in his hand. Not a lot for a heavy drinker. He took 2 pills, which hadn't really had time to take effect in the short time frame we saw. We don't even know he had a heart attack. We only have Hetty's word for that, and how would she know?

• Love 2

It didn't seem like Sam's aunt had a choice about staying or going, and her mom didn't either. I am guessing the ghosts don't get a choice, but I don't think the show has actually said one way or the other.

Sam's mom got sucked off once she resolved her issues with her daughter. You would think some of the other ghosts would have had the same closure by now, like Thor, Pete or Flower. I think the simplest explanation is that the show just doesn't want to lose those characters. 

But they were just kids . . . barely even 30!

How much trouble would the bros have been in if they had called an ambulance for Trevor? The police would have investigated, and the bros were high enough to babble, but they might have gotten away with drug possession charges.

Maybe not even that unless they showed the cops where the hidden drug stash was. But they were too panicked and high to think rationally. I thought it was hilarious they all whipped out their flip phones and called their dads.

I will give the original show one thing over its adaptation, the little Plague Girl was creepy/hilarious in a way the basement dwellers just can't match.

The British show also employs a clever gimmick by having the same actors who play the main ghosts also play the basement ghosts.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe not even that unless they showed the cops where the hidden drug stash was. But they were too panicked and high to think rationally. I thought it was hilarious they all whipped out their flip phones and called their dads.

That was pretty funny. They really were just a pack of man babies. 

When Trevor died I thought the "horrible thing" was going to be that it turned out he wasn't really dead from a heart attack and that is "bros" end up killing him/letting him die rather than helping him. I'm glad it was just that they panicked and all tried to save themselves. I'm glad the show isn't as dark as my imagination. lol

• Love 6
12 hours ago, basil said:

We don't even know he had a heart attack. We only have Hetty's word for that, and how would she know?

We didn't hear him complain about any chest pain when he was Living Trevor. However, he seems to have said more than once he could feel his "heart explode" after he became Ghost Trevor. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

It didn't seem like Sam's aunt had a choice about staying or going, and her mom didn't either. I am guessing the ghosts don't get a choice, but I don't think the show has actually said one way or the other.

Even if you had a choice, why would you throw away likely your only chance to move onto heaven to stay on earth, forever "doomed to wander through the world"? (And not even the world, just the grounds of crumbling estate in Upstate New York.)

• Love 4
(edited)

The discussion about choices reminds me of the movie Ghost. Patrick Swayze's character could have gone into the light right away but he chose to stay until justice was served, and heaven allowed it.

In the movie and this show, the bad guys didn't have a choice "going down" but a few of the ghosts seem to have found closure but didn't get sucked off. What does that mean? Do they still have unfinished business even they don't know about? Did they unconsciously choose to stay?

Yes, I know the show want to keep the characters. It's fun coming up with theories though.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

We don't actually know what the ghosts unfinished business is. I don't think Thorfin was missing his bones and that's why he didn't get sucked off. For Sam's mom her unfinished business was to make up with her daughter and for Sam's aunt she was either too old and had no unfinished business or didn't remember if she had any. 

Pete didn't know about his wife's affair when he was alive so that would not be his unfinished business and Trevor knew what happened to his pants, he was just lying about it. Trevor's unfinished business could be finding love, which may never happen with him being dead and stuck on the property. 

I think for most of them it's not always about how they died its what they missed doing while they were alive. Sam's mom got that chance and was able to get sucked off. It could be anything and that's why they are still stuck hanging around. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think for most of them it's not always about how they died its what they missed doing while they were alive. Sam's mom got that chance and was able to get sucked off. It could be anything and that's why they are still stuck hanging around. 

Also, Sam’s mom was bored out of her mind. No one was happy there. Our ghost family not only likes each other they have a huge mansion with outdoors and chirpy birds to hang out in. Plus they have a fun living to talk to now, who goes out of her way to engage them with marvels from the current world.

Maybe they are just lucky, like the airport people got lucky in Station 11. Our ghosts won the ghost lottery.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, KarenX said:

Our ghost family not only likes each other they have a huge mansion with outdoors and chirpy birds to hang out in. Plus they have a fun living to talk to now, who goes out of her way to engage them with marvels from the current world.

I like to think that what they all were missing in their lives was the family they have now. Obviously Hettie was in a loveless marriage and couldn't be her own person, Thor was ditched by his tribe so I can't imagine he felt a sense of true belonging with them, Flower seems to have spend a lot of her life trying to find herself, Trevor seemed to try to fit in with the Bros but I don't think he was every truly one of them, Isaac was hiding who he truly was during his life time, Alberta, maybe she was trying to find that sense of belonging with fame but it never happened (stretching on that one). Sass is the hardest to fit. Maybe it's because he never truly felt like he fit with his tribe because they are hunters and he wanted to be a storyteller? IDK that one is a bigger stress. OMG I forgot Pete. Well, obviously he thought he had the perfect family but his wife and BFF were having an affair so he really didn't. 

Point is, what they were all missing was that sense of belonging to a family/tribe/group and they have that now, but I would think it's not just about finding it, it's about actually getting to enjoy it for a while. It would really suck if as soon as you found that thing that would make your (after)life complete you got sucked off. 

I like the Good Place solution of going when you're ready rather than, "yay, you completed your task, now you'll just get taken away without any warning". With Sam's mum, since the goal was actually closure, it makes sense that as soon as she got it she could go.

I know we're thinking about it way more than the writers probably have, but for me that's half the fun of a good show. 

I forget now what it was that prompted Hettie's husband to go down. I know for a moment they thought Hettie might have caused it, but I can't remember what it really was. Oh, darn, guess I'll have to rewatch it....again. 

• Love 8

So my husband now knows what happened to Trevor’s pants. We binged watched the last three nights!

It was great to rewatch all the episodes. So many things I didn’t catch the first time.

This is one of my favorite shows.

• Love 11

I like the Good Place solution of going when you're ready rather than, "yay, you completed your task, now you'll just get taken away without any warning". With Sam's mum, since the goal was actually closure, it makes sense that as soon as she got it she could go.

I know we're thinking about it way more than the writers probably have, but for me that's half the fun of a good show. 

You know, it could be a combination of things. It doesn't necessarily have to be the same thing for all of them. But it's interesting that none of them can leave the property. That seems to point strongly in the direction of a kind of curse. There might be something specifically about that piece of land that makes (most) people who die on it stuck there.

Then again, when Sam was trying to sell her story to that magazine, she met those other two ghosts, who also seemed to be stuck where they had died. So maybe that's just a thing in this universe, that you are stuck on the property where you died if you become a ghost.

Interesting to note: none of the ghosts died of natural causes (except maybe the basement ghosts and Isaac, depending on how you view it). Sam's aunt Sophie died naturally of old age. Everyone else: Thor, Sass, Hetty, Pete, Flower, Alberta and Trevor were killed prematurely. Crash too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Sam's mother and the other ghosts at the restaurant seemed to be stuck at that locale, so I think it's just the general way the setting works, not something specific to Woodstone Manor.

I suppose people who die of natural causes have enough time to prepare themselves and make their peace with dying.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Sass's love interest is at the bank. It can't be a bank when she died. I wonder if she can walk around the ground the bank was built on. How wide an area can she go? 

Thorfinn can't leave the property, but nobody owned the entire land (entire country?) when he died. So why can't he roam?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I don't think it's the property, it's the area. I don't know how it's determined. Maybe they all have a certain square footage. So Sassapis girlfriend at the magazine may be able to go to other buildings nearby, she just can't go all the way to the Manor. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't think it's the property, it's the area. I don't know how it's determined. Maybe they all have a certain square footage. So Sassapis girlfriend at the magazine may be able to go to other buildings nearby, she just can't go all the way to the Manor. 

Or, maybe every time property lines change, the ghosts' range changes:) So, originally, Thor could travel across anywhere he could get because nobody owned the land.  

• Useful 3
On 4/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Even if you had a choice, why would you throw away likely your only chance to move onto heaven to stay on earth, forever "doomed to wander through the world"?

The devil you know...

21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Interesting to note: none of the ghosts died of natural causes (except maybe the basement ghosts and Isaac, depending on how you view it). Sam's aunt Sophie died naturally of old age. Everyone else: Thor, Sass, Hetty, Pete, Flower, Alberta and Trevor were killed prematurely

Do we know how Sas and Hetty died?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, basil said:

Do we know how Sas and Hetty died?

We know Sass died before he could become a storyteller, but I don't think we know how.  We don't know how Hetty died.  My guess is she got high on all that cocaine she loves and took a tumble down the stairs.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

There’s been some speculation on the boundaries issues in the “Ghostly Speculation” thread. No definitive answers, of course. 

Yes, but that conversation was quashed as being "off topic" in mid February and no one has posted there since.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

We know Sass died before he could become a storyteller, but I don't think we know how.  We don't know how Hetty died. 

That's what I thought, thanks.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

There’s been some speculation on the boundaries issues in the “Ghostly Speculation” thread. No definitive answers, of course. 

55 minutes ago, basil said:

Yes, but that conversation was quashed as being "off topic" in mid February and no one has posted there since.

I thought the "let's stay on topic" comment was directed at the posts talking about directions the show might go and other side conversations.  IMO speculation about the ghostly rule book is the exact point of that thread.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 8
On 4/6/2022 at 7:26 PM, Sakura12 said:

It could be anything and that's why they are still stuck hanging around. 

I can't understand why people think they know the reason that ghosts don't move on. Because some non-ghost "experts" found a justification that people find acceptable: unfinished business. It's like people explaining why things happen. 🙄

You don't know squat.

And there's no such thing as ghosts anyway. 😈 (or the devil)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/3/2022 at 12:22 PM, iMonrey said:

She has said she died 130 years ago, that puts her at 1892. Were bustles still common in the 1890s?

Older and more conservative ladies were always a bit behind when it came to fashion.  Bustles (the huge ones) weren't worn then but I'd imagine a conservative lady like Hetty would think the modern Gibson Girl style to be horrible, after all those women were doing horrible immortal things like riding bicycles. 

• Love 7
On 4/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, SoMuchTV said:

I thought the "let's stay on topic" comment was directed at the posts talking about directions the show might go and other side conversations.  IMO speculation about the ghostly rule book is the exact point of that thread.

You are right. People were complaining about a break in the episodes and then talking about shows from the ‘60’s shooting  schedule and soap opera shooting schedule- literally nothing to do with Ghosts and speculation about how ghostly things work in their world. 

• Love 1
On 4/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, iMonrey said:

Hetty is wearing a bustle so that puts her in the 1870's or 1880s

She has said she died 130 years ago, that puts her at 1892. Were bustles still common in the 1890s?

Yes, but by the 1890s, they were pretty small, and rapidly disappearing. An older woman might have worn a larger one.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2022 at 9:39 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

The funniest thing is that he's a politician in the UK version but not in the US version. Can't be upsetting any US politician that has been caught with his pants down can we.

I don't know why they chose to not make Trevor a politician. I have a lot of theories but I don't think it's related to pissing off any particular politician since Trevor is a fictional character.

Ultimately, I think the writers felt they could get more mileage from the excess from finance dudebros. And I agree. 

On 4/1/2022 at 12:43 PM, shapeshifter said:

[PETE] Oh, now, that's a romantic comedy I would watch. ( chuckles ) Can you type in "hippie and Viking," see if anything comes up?

No romcom but tell me Thor and The Flower doesn't sound like the name of a bodice ripper romance novel? 

On 4/2/2022 at 8:08 PM, shapeshifter said:
There would be water in Trevor's body's lungs if his drunken so-called "bros" were wrong about him being dead when they tied weights to him and threw him in the lake.

I think if he were to have died in the lake, his shirt would be soaked.

• Love 2