Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: 6 Volts

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Conrad and The Raptor help out an old friend whose heart problems reveal a bigger issue than they anticipated. Meanwhile, Devon treats a suicidal woman whom he thinks might be a good candidate for Deep Brain Stimulation. Then, Bell confronts the Medical Board about the cases he's been investigating, and Billie and Trevor have an emotional reunion.

Airdate: 03/29/2022

The suicidal lady, Eliza, looks so much like Bebe Neuwirth that I had to go see if they were any relation to each other. She could play a young Lilith Frasier. 

As for the episode, I didn’t have much in the way of thoughts just yet. 

• Love 2

Still watching it (hi, from the West Coast! 👋🏻). The fraud cardiologist, Dr Pennington?, was he in Georgia? Cuz I’m pretty sure AJ is a published author with an unparalleled reputation and if he’s not famous to the general public, he is certainly very well known in the medical world, particularly the cardiovascular world, ESPECIALLY in the Georgia area. I’m surprised Dr Pennington? didn’t recognize him and his name. AJ could’ve  made the appointment under a pseudonym, but the has to show ID and all that when he books the appt and checks in at the hospital. 

• Love 7

I was just coming here to say that as someone who is a year younger than Bruce Greenwood, I loved the scene between Randolph and Kit. I think Greenwood is a very handsome man, and looks damn good shirtless at 65. But then I have been a Greenwood fan for years, and he is the reason that I started watching the show. I am sure it is due to my age, but I would take a scene of a shirtless Greenwood over pretty much any other male cast member, other than maybe MJW. 

I liked all of the storylines in tonight's episode. I used to like The Good Doctor more than The Resident, but for the last couple of years The Resident has been my fav over TGD. 

• Love 16
On 3/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, yourdreamer said:

The suicidal lady, Eliza, looks so much like Bebe Neuwirth that I had to go see if they were any relation to each other. She could play a young Lilith Frasier.

I thought she looked like Zoey Lister Jones.

• Love 3
On 3/29/2022 at 11:44 PM, Frisky Wig said:

Still watching it (hi, from the West Coast! 👋🏻). The fraud cardiologist, Dr Pennington?, was he in Georgia? Cuz I’m pretty sure AJ is a published author with an unparalleled reputation and if he’s not famous to the general public, he is certainly very well known in the medical world, particularly the cardiovascular world, ESPECIALLY in the Georgia area. I’m surprised Dr Pennington? didn’t recognize him and his name. AJ could’ve  made the appointment under a pseudonym, but the has to show ID and all that when he books the appt and checks in at the hospital. 

I have to imagine that a doctor of that quality doesn't read the journals or go to conferences beyond the bare minimum for continuing education

• Love 4

I really enjoyed AJ’s visit to the incompetent cardiologist, but was surprised when he and Conrad were talking later and saying nothing would happen to the guy. Especially now that Bell is on the state medical board—I bet he’d find plenty of patients this guy screwed over.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

I really enjoyed AJ’s visit to the incompetent cardiologist, but was surprised when he and Conrad were talking later and saying nothing would happen to the guy. Especially now that Bell is on the state medical board—I bet he’d find plenty of patients this guy screwed over.

This takes us back to the first season, when Conrad and Nick discovered the cancer doctor was over-treating patients with chemo drugs, and treating patients who didn't have cancer.  Very different build-up and outcome in that season.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Is that the end of Trevor? If so, at least he's going on to something better and both he and Billie have done some healing.o I liked the logic that he became a doctor to prove himself so that Billie would regret having given him up.

Conrad told Aaron that the woman he's interested in has complicated issues. Is he referring to the ER/FBI doctor? if so, ugh. I haven't seen a love interest so one note since Cleo-bot on ER.

Ironically, the day this episode aired and the following day, the National Institute of Health ran a 2 day conference on the use of psychedelic medication for mental health problems such as depression and PTSD. Much better success rates than deep brain stimulation and not invasive, but not as dramatic as implanting electrodes into a person's brain.

Bruce Greenwood looks damn fine for a 65 year old man. No wonder Kit is star struck.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:44 PM, Frisky Wig said:

Still watching it (hi, from the West Coast! 👋🏻). The fraud cardiologist, Dr Pennington?, was he in Georgia? Cuz I’m pretty sure AJ is a published author with an unparalleled reputation and if he’s not famous to the general public, he is certainly very well known in the medical world, particularly the cardiovascular world, ESPECIALLY in the Georgia area. I’m surprised Dr Pennington? didn’t recognize him and his name.

His is a pretty common last name and I suspect Pennington doesn't look too closely. Also, contrary to what you hear in Grey's Anatomy, articles in medical journals don't come with pictures of the authors.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2022 at 1:16 AM, UsernameFatigue said:

I loved the scene between Randolph and Kit

I thought it was a great scene and it was an adult exchange, which is something lacking in TV writing. Seriously, I keep saying this, but many shows must be written by very young adults. This scene had a simple, true dialogue, without any overdramatic reaction, and it works really well.

The alternate universe where this show takes place is defying my ability to suspend disbelief. A friend has a heart pain, immediately he is admitted and taken care of, including major surgery, a supposedly busy doctor having time to go harass another doctor, and all resources diverted to one patient who does not have insurance. I mean, Chastain is now a public hospital but there are too many bureaucratic hurdles to make this all beyond realistic, not to mention that some tests take longer than the time it took for all this to happen. But maybe in this universe the days have 40, 60 hours instead of 24. Like I said, I am willing to suspend disbelief but sometimes it is a huge challenge 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Is that the end of Trevor? If so, at least he's going on to something better and both he and Billie have done some healing.o I liked the logic that he became a doctor to prove himself so that Billie would regret having given him up.

I would not be surprised if Trevor worked with Devon in clinical trial land

• Useful 3
9 hours ago, cameron said:

Trevor is the oldest looking young 20 something ever.  Looks more like Billy's main squeeze than his Mom.

That's how it looks when you have a child at 14.

• Love 6

Didn't Trevor tell Billie that he had a job in pharmaceutical research?  In the scene when he talked on the phone with her, it looked as if he was working in a factory.

• Love 5

Yes, he told Billie that he decidef to become a doctor for her, not because he wanted to be a doctor so he's not returning to finish his residency but it turns out that pharmaceutical companies love M.D.s and he's found his sweet spot doing drug research. (He first appeared developing his own drug.)

If Devon continues in clinical trials it's possible that at some point Trevor will bring him a drug to test.

• Useful 1
On 3/30/2022 at 9:28 PM, bros402 said:

I have to imagine that a doctor of that quality doesn't read the journals or go to conferences beyond the bare minimum for continuing education

Also he was just another POC coming to a clinic. I live in Los Angeles and almost never recognize "famous" people when I am shopping  or eating at a restaurant.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is there something wrong with the actor playing Conrad?  He looks so fragile like he could collapse at any moment.  

I was thinking he looked a bit anemic

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, Driad said:

Didn't Trevor tell Billie that he had a job in pharmaceutical research?  In the scene when he talked on the phone with her, it looked as if he was working in a factory.

I thought that was odd too. But it looked more like a warehouse so maybe it is connected to a pharmacy company....they must have storage for various drugs/chemicals. 

Or maybe he took a temp job while figuring out what to do next?

20 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I thought that was odd too. But it looked more like a warehouse so maybe it is connected to a pharmacy company....they must have storage for various drugs/chemicals. 

Or maybe he took a temp job while figuring out what to do next?

I thought he was lying when he told her that he got a job in pharmaceutical research because when he called her it looked like he was working in a warehouse. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, christie said:

I thought he was lying when he told her that he got a job in pharmaceutical research because when he called her it looked like he was working in a warehouse. 

The scene where he told her seemed to play it pretty straightforward, so I'm going to choose to believe he is really doing some great job he loves. 

Until/unless they bring him back for another angsty storyline.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if this is the episode about the botched cardiac surgery that Bill Paxton (actor) got that caused his death?  I read it’s featured on The Resident.  Tragic loss. His family filed a lawsuit over it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe