Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Boston

jewel21
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

As for her postpartum weight, I think it's time to normalize what a postpartum body actually looks like (clothed) Women feel so much pressure to get back to "normal" it's unfair to them. I think I only knew one woman who bounced right back.

Just to be clear when I was referencing how Maddie hadn't gained a pound, it was because she was diagnosed with a form of hypothyroidism which can and does as one of the major symptoms cause significant weight gain. I wasn't cracking on her baby shape, just that she was genuinely looking pretty thin for the nature of her medical disorder.

For the record, hypothyroidism CAN cause serious depression and can mimic psychiatric issues. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I really hope this wasn't a backdoor pilot.

Since TV has reverted to having so many of its shows set in NYC, LA, Chicago and Hawai'i of all places. I am sure places with histories and production staffs  like Boston and Miami have folks actively lobbying to get work back to their cities. I remember the special episodes of Emergency back in the day when those younger teams and outside city teams were definitely back door pilots as they added more soap to the rescues but 70s TV was not ready for that mix that looks like today's programing. perhaps if added in an one hour instead of two hour special event TV movie it would have worked.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Are you thinking Maddie and Chim would stay in Boston for this spinoff?
And maybe they don't kill off the new guy?

Well, that would solve the fact that they hired replacements back in LA. I don't tend to watch spinoffs, but with Chim, I might consider it. (speaking specifically of the XYX - Texas, Hawaii, etc. types of spinoffs)

8 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Just to be clear when I was referencing how Maddie hadn't gained a pound, it was because she was diagnosed with a form of hypothyroidism which can and does as one of the major symptoms cause significant weight gain. I wasn't cracking on her baby shape, just that she was genuinely looking pretty thin for the nature of her medical disorder.

For the record, hypothyroidism CAN cause serious depression and can mimic psychiatric issues. 

I was referring to general thoughts on what postpartum bodies should look like. The thyroid issue is definitely a different element of the discussion and I didn't think you were cracking on the body (especially since you said she was looking pretty thin). You made me wonder if I had an undiagnosed thyroid condition when I had postpartum depression. I wasn't tested for it (I think) until I reached menopausal age, when it was diagnosed. I've had struggles with depression off and on over the years, finally got medicated and I'm grateful.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

You made me wonder if I had an undiagnosed thyroid condition when I had postpartum depression. I wasn't tested for it (I think) until I reached menopausal age, when it was diagnosed. Plus, I never bounced back to my pre-pregnancy body (not that it was thin by any means)

It may have been lingering. I can remember being treated for heat exhaustion as a teen and the nurse and doctor musing that it "looked like a thyroid problem" but I wasn't officially diagnosed until my late twenties. I was always Junoesque, but I went to the doctor in my late twenties because I was at the time eating strictly vegatarian, and running every day, and I gained 50 pounds in five months.  In retrospect, Maddie's symptoms of lethargy etc do resemble how tired I felt doing the smallest of things. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I really hope this wasn't a backdoor pilot.

It would be fine by me. Yet another show I can ignore. I need to go on a TV show diet; cut out the shows that I think are going downhill and spend less time criticizing them.

I was impatient with this episode. Like others, I didn't understand the absurdity of Chimney chasing across the country after Maddie, or Maddie going cross-country in the first place. They could've done this closer to home, yet still apart. Nevertheless, I very much appreciated the exposure given to depression and what it can do to a person. 

• Love 5
(edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, iMonrey said:

This episode was fine but I never missed Maddie and would have preferred if she was just gone for good. The show really doesn't need her, especially since we have May working the 911 calls now. 

Bobby told Chimney he has a job waiting for him back home but didn't he just hire a replacement for him last week? I'm not sure when that phone call was supposed to have taken place (possibly before the new hire) but I'll be interested to see if that job offer still holds. 

I also don't think Chimney and Maddie should just get back together, either. Sure, she's fine, but maybe it's best if they just co-parent for awhile. I'm not sure how a marriage comes back from something like that. (They are married, right?)

A captain isn't in charge of hiring anyone. His responsibility is to make sure all the positions are filled. He added the new paramedic as a long-term replacement because he doesn't know how long Chimney will be gone, and he needs to have some kind of stability for that spot, instead of constantly bringing in a new floater every shift.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:00 PM, kwnyc said:

Maddie inherited money from her dead husband...she paid for her room in cash. As for Chim? Eli was letting him stay, and maybe he's on paid family leave?

But I appreciate that the show went there to talk about mental illness, other health conditions, and the journey back to wellness. SO different from the Rob Lowe Show. 

I think, as suggested above, it might be a good idea for them to co-parent for awhile while Maddie gets back on her feet. And they still seem to be in some kind of couplehood, especially agreeing to communicate their needs to each other. And damn, they both need counseling about their feelings of guilt and need to save the world.

Chim is not on any type of leave. He told Bobby that he wishes the volunteer gig paid something because he's having to dip into his savings. So he could have temporarily resigned because leave can only run for so long.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 1

As others have said, this whole story felt contrived. Yes, we understand JLH was on maternity leave, but to give her character the storyline of running away for 6 months to explain her absence just did not make sense. You feel you're a danger to your baby, and after you attempt to kill yourself on the west coast, you decide to travel cross-country, without telling anyone, to Boston to get treatment? Come on!!! There are plenty of places in California and neighboring states to get treatment. I also don't get why she decided to be so secretive to the point where Chimney actually considered that she was missing.

She could have simply called Chimney to let her know that I'm checking myself into so-and-so center in California, or Oregon, and to not visit me until I call again. That way Chimney knows for sure where she is and the thought of her missing doesn't creep into his head.

But instead, she doesn't tell anybody anything, and Chimney embarks on this full cross-country excursion to find her. And even that is overkill. Chim uses up all his leave, and is dipping into his savings, and spending weeks sitting on a bench everyday just hoping to see Maddy? While it shows a lot of devotion, it's not that smart. He has his daughter to look after, and he has to be able to provide for her. And that means working his full-time job as a paramedic. Keeping this mindset of "I'm not leaving without Maddy" is pretty selfish, quite frankly. What if he didn't run into Maddy on that last call. Was he prepared to blow through all his savings simply waiting for Maddy to show up in Boston?

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/30/2022 at 11:28 PM, shapeshifter said:

Are you thinking Maddie and Chim would stay in Boston for this spinoff?
And maybe they don't kill off the new guy?

That was my thought.  Chim has a good relationship with the guy that lives there.  Maddie could do nursing which would bring  in the hospital aspect or 911 dispatch center.  

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 2
On 3/30/2022 at 10:36 AM, EllaWycliffe said:

… Hen going to part time medical school (a plot that has yet to be mentioned this season).

It was mentioned in the episode with the prison riot. I’ve been binging this show the past few weeks and I watched that ep yesterday which is likely the only reason I remember it being mentioned since it was pretty brief.

• Useful 1
On 3/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

All that said, it had one moment that made me laugh out loud. Because what more explanation could 911 need? 

We've got a piper down!  A piper is down!!!!

That absolutely killed me.

Pretty sure that was an homage to So I Married an Axe Murderer. 😊

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2022 at 1:28 AM, auntiemel said:

Pretty sure that was an homage to So I Married an Axe Murderer. 😊

We said the line before they did, then clapped when it was used. 😆

(We recently rewatched So I Married an Axe Murderer)

• Love 2