Type keyword(s) to search

SO1.E04: The Pirate's Booty

• Start Topic

Well, Ryan seems to have skated by with a forgiving group of guests again. One even apologized for asking for eggs instead of the "designated" entree. I think the cat has run out of lives though. The next group will probably read him the riot act. I was glad Benny stayed, although I always thought he would. I do feel sorry for him and was happy the Captain realized he needed to help him rather than shove a plane ticket in his hand. The one piece of advice I'd give him is "Benny, wear a darn pair of sneakers in the chain locker!!"  It will go far in alleviating your fear of flaking the chain. As someone mentioned, the Thalassa seems like it wasn't thoroughly ready for a heavy charter season. Blown hoses and overflowing toilets...c'mon. Things happen for sure, but there seems to be a pattern here. Can you imagine paying $40,000 to charter a luxury sailing yacht and then waking up to the odor of poo? Not five star.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 8

Captain Jason is too hands on, the deck crew are watching.

Not giving Jamie a chance to delegate, like he told them they would do the snorkeling trip first and even said which deck crew would work it?

Magda has a good attitude but she needs more handholding.  She’s not like Ashley on BDSY.  But spending too much time texting boyfriend back in Poland.  There must be a great mobile network there but data plans can’t  be cheap unless the yacht has WiFi.

Tumi is the only one who knows how to do anything.  Well Alesha should know but she’s leaning on Tumi.

WTF is the point of dropping his shorts at the sunset which that map stripper was doing?  Cameras just happened to catch him doing it but probably didn’t need prompting.

On the toilet situation, they filmed Benny heading to the captains cabin to say he was going to bail.  They may have had him overdub those lines during that sequence and he didn’t tell Jason he was leaving.  Otherwise Jason would have a different reaction than he did, when he calmly worked with Benny to clean up the mess.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

So Captain Jason has to be in charge of poo as well?  Can’t any of these people solve a basic problem of their own?  We know Benny is useless, but come on.  And Benny STILL hasn’t learnt the lesson of shoes?

Ryan says “A good Chief Stew can steer anyone anywhere, any time.”  Except the whole reason he said that was because HE didn’t want to serve breakfast when the guests said they wanted it.  Ryan should have been named Richard, because he is definitely a Dick.  Another point with Sir-Dicks-A lot – he knows Madga has a boyfriend, but “wouldn’t mind hooking up with her” anywise.  Dick.

Benny:  “I smell poo, I smell poo!”  Yeah, mate, have you bothered to wash your FEET?

Jamie has a valid point when he says he feels “more like a deckhand than a bosun.”  Captain Jason *is* a bit of a micromanager.  But then again, too, I see Jason’s point about seeing people standing around – you don’t want that either.

Aesha and Dicks-a-lot are definitely on a collision course – but which one will be the Titanic and which one will be the iceberg?

The Great Brisket Caper – words fail me.  If this isn’t made up then Dicks-A-Lot is even worse than I thought.

Tumi comes through once again with the table decorations – what a treasure she is!

Guest Jen as the Booty and Captain Jason – now *that* was funny.

Props to Brittini – she flakes with her hands, not some tool (OMG, I just realized the multiple entendres with that).  Smart enough to wear shoes, at least.

Captain Jason called the Culver Hot Tub incident just right – stay in enough for the tip, but not to goldbrick.

Sorry to see these guests go.  I’ll admit, I have a crush on Charter Guest Jen.

Looks like we won’t be so lucky with the next set…

• Like 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

Captain Jason *is* a bit of a micro manager.  But then again, too, I see Jason’s point about seeing people standing around – you don’t want that either.

Thank you for mentioning this.

Am I the only one who grew up with a mother who said (after I landed my 1st job)

"No matter what your job entails, when there's management around or even other workers, always look busy, or take initiative to help others."

And she was right, because no matter how much work I did, if I was caught standing around, I was given even more work.

• Love 7

Most of the chefs on the different Below Deck shows really want to impress the guests.  They strive to cook creatively and try to make it the best experience possible.  Ryan is happy with mediocrity.  His food seems to be well received by the guests and I'm guessing it is tasty, but he doesn't have the passion of Marcos, Rachel or even Ben.  If he were on the Med, Sandy would be in his kitchen on the regular and telling him it's not 5 star cuisine.  I hope he ups his game, but I don't have high expectations.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

So why the toilet backed up is never addressed.  

Benny, just walk already.  Find a streetlight to cry under.  

Welcome to the working world.  When the boss says dance, you dance.  Or find another job.

Capt. Jason has ice water in his veins.  Nothing seems to rattle him and he pitches right in.  Though it seems his patience with Benny is wearing very thin.

As well as Jaime.  Don't let the boss see you standing around.  And then he sits in the tender while the Captain works.  Not Smart.

I don't think he is so much a "micromanager" as he is very hands on and sees what is going on and it's his job to keep it all together.  I've had bosses like that and you really have to be on your toes.  You can't BS a boss like that (some others were incredibly easy to BS😎)

Nice chewing out he gave the deck crew post charter😎

Hey chef!  It's your job to make sure the meat gets there.  You work for the guests, not the other way around.

Join Benny on the Crybaby Express

I'm 63 and never got the pirate thing.  I'm sort of a nerd and don't do "dress up"😎

Sorry Tumi.  Culver is giving the guests what they want.  I forget who said something like "they're rock music people and strippers".  They have a different outlook than our usual "marketing", or "youTube", or "hedge fund " guests.  Britt needs to get over herself, too.

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 4

So much Millennial whinging. 🙄

Why wake the Captain when the head backs up? Shouldn't he have fetched an Engineer? 🤔

Last time I saw such big teeth in such a small head was a museum display of Amazonian shrunken heads.

• LOL 6

Welcome to the working world.  When the boss says dance, you dance.  Or find another job.

Benny is an entitled little twit for sure. He's not the first we've seen of that generation who doesn't seem to understand how employment works and gets all shirty when his boss tells him what to do. I want to know what kind of life he's been leading that's taught him he shouldn't have to do anything he doesn't feel like doing or listen to anyone who tells him what to do. He's got a lot of growing up to do.

Also? He cannot play the "my parents died" card anymore, he has officially maxed out his limit on that. Same goes for the chef. He only wants to do the bare minimum because his father worked himself to death? That doesn't sound like an attitude his father would have been proud of.

Sorry Tumi.  Culver is giving the guests what they want. 

I get where she's coming from though - she's busting her ass running around cleaning up and serving champagne while Culver lounges in the hot tub with the guests. What if it were two male guests and a female stew in there? The optics would be even worse. I disagree with Jamie's take on it, I think it sort of crosses a line.

Last time I saw such big teeth in such a small head was a museum display of Amazonian shrunken heads.

LOL someone said last week Culver has a jack-o-lantern smile and now I can't unsee it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6

I agree with Tumi about the hot tub incident. It's simple; Culver was supposed to be working and he wasn't. I don't buy the justification that he was bettering the guests experience. No one's trip would have been ruined if he'd responded to the invitation by just explaining that he was on duty. We've seen in past iterations of BD that staff members were prohibited from interacting with the guests in this way and I think that's common in the hospitality industry. You don't invite your restaurant server to sit and have a drink with you or the hotel manager to be your dance partner. I don't know why the guests even suggested it, unless in fun or from producer prodding. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

If I have to hear Benny talk about his dead parents (it can't be an excuse for your poor behavior forever, dude) or Jamie talking about how he used to be a police officer (go back to it, would you?) I am going to drink boatloads (🤣) of alcohol. Also infuriating is Ryan's piss poor attitude and is insistence on doing the minimal amount of work to get by (because, of course, his dad worked hard and died, so Ryan thinks that he shouldn't work hard ever?)

Aesha is also starting to bother me -- she's good at her job and peppy/nappy, but the way she elongates her words slowly makes my ears bleed. "Ooooh my gaaaaawd, that's amaaaaaaaaaazing!" 

Kinda hate watching both Down Under and Med at this point. Maybe we should put Ryan, Benny, Jamie, and Raygan onto a yacht with Captain Lee. Let's see how that goes. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5

I don't know what Ryan did to that brisket, but I have never seen a GRAY brisket.  I haven't a clue how he prepared that once beautiful piece of meat but he should be ashamed he ruined it. 

And I too, am old school and when my boss gets on to me for not working hard or doing something right, I buckled up and get on it and did my job right.  And I never stood around watching my boss picking up my slack.  How did Jamie not realize that while he was verbalizing to Benny how hard the Capitan was working........er.........um ok.  No bulb going off over his head?  

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1