Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Every Version of You

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Look on the bright side Deja. Your parents might be interfering with your dating life, but at least they want to know where you are. Annie could be in Amsterdam by now and no one would notice. 

Never mind Amsterdam, she could have gone to Mars with Elon and no one would know.  

Edited by PRgal
  • LOL 15
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Domenicholas said:

Finally, I just read Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi recently. It explores the descendants of two Ghanaian half-sisters through both the European colonization of Ghana and Slavery and Racism in the United States. I definitely recommend reading it if you have the chance.

Homegoing is SO SO SO GOOD. Would definitely recommend.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I always felt Kate was underdeveloped as a kid/teen. Everything was about weight. Randall was very smart, Kevin great in sports...Kate? She loved to sing, what else? Did she do things she felt better about?  My 3 kids were different of course. One loved art, playing instrument, I tried to hone that until she grew bored and went to something else, one always loved making things, singing so she started choir and doing plays at school. she was insecure so started doing background things and worked up to small roles, etc.  My son loved basketball but also loved chess so joined a chess club. Kate was such a void in all the flashbacks, I bet her box was half full. They never showed her loving anything but music and singing but never pushed her a little to even join a school activity, choir, camp etc. Everything was food, not eating, eating, bathing suit issues, fear of water, etc. Kate was much more than that. What did Rebecca do with her? Kevin had the show about baseball cards, Randall had his outings, Jack took Kate for ice cream but Rebecca and him hone anything to give her confidence? Just so odd. My daughter thinks they didn't because it would be harder to explain her being so heavy and insecure later. But still odd.

I remember Jack encouraging her to pursue her music. Wasn't she making a tape to submit to a music school around the time he died?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I remember Jack encouraging her to pursue her music. Wasn't she making a tape to submit to a music school around the time he died?

I have a memory of adult Kate finding the video and watching it.  She noticed that Jack was in the background watching her.  He had a look of adoration and pride on his face.

What do you all make of Randall's talk with Malik? Do you think that means that Malik and Deja are going to get back together in the future?  Is he the father of Deja's baby?

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

Much older, she was a senior. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, debraran said:

Much older, she was a senior. 

Jack died when they were seniors, no? They were 17 and the Super Bowl is in January, so it would have been January of their senior year. Their birthday is in summer, I think, so they’d have turned 18 the summer after graduation.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Shermie said:

So it appears the Big Green Egg doesn’t burn little Jack, but somehow Toby is so distracted by his new toy that little Jack toddles off while under his watch and then gets hurt. Or something like that.

From the preview, I'm thinking he goes to the park (we see him toddling down the sidewalk with his cane). Maybe he'll be singing Kate's little How to Get to the Park song. He climbs on something at the playground and hits his head..? 

40 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

What do you all make of Randall's talk with Malik? Do you think that means that Malik and Deja are going to get back together in the future?  Is he the father of Deja's baby?

That's what I thought. I kinda hope not because it's pretty unrealistic...but it is this show, so... Hopefully if it is they find someone to play older Malik who doesn't look like he's 12...

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Due to weather alerts I was only able to catch the first 15 minutes or so (will have to catch up on demand) but I just had to commend Randall’s restraint to wait an entire night before passive aggressively commenting on Rebecca’s choosing Kate instead of him. Well done Randall, that must have been tough 🙄

Edited by mostlylurking
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

From the preview, I'm thinking he goes to the park (we see him toddling down the sidewalk with his cane). Maybe he'll be singing Kate's little How to Get to the Park song. He climbs on something at the playground and hits his head..? 

That's what I'm thinking.  Of course, it will be Rebecca's fault (she's not competent to watch her grandkids, you know) as well as Toby's (because he's Toby and can't do anything competently (except bring home the bacon)).

😉

5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That's what I thought. I kinda hope not because it's pretty unrealistic...but it is this show, so... Hopefully if it is they find someone to play older Malik who doesn't look like he's 12...

ETA: I don't know how this response got blended in with Shermie's post.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I'm pretty sure Randall said it was a state Senate seat, not a U.S. Senate seat. He'd be repping the district he lives in at the Pennsylvania State Senate. 

I looked again at the episode.  He said he was getting calls from the DNC with regards to the seat, and that he thought he was a long shot for the seat because he doesn't have a national profile.  I have to think that is the US Senate he is talking about, if only because you don't typically need a national profile to run for the state legislature seat that is largely made up of your current council district (i.e. people who already know you).        

• Useful 7
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I liked this episode more than I thought I would. I still would love a Becca/Miguel centered episode before the show closes out...or hell, just give me a spinoff of their love story...

I am also still holding out hope we will get an episode about how Rebecca and Miguel reconnected but I would so completely be on board for a spin-off about those two!  They are my favorite characters on the show.

• Love 8

Due to weather alerts I was only able to catch the first 15 minutes or so (will have to catch up on demand) but I just had to commend Randall’s restraint to wait an entire night before passive aggressively commenting on Rebecca’s choosing Kate instead of him. Well done Randall, that must have been tough

He was grumbling about it to Beth on Thanksgiving Night and probably would have said something if Deja hadn't blown up at him.

It was nice seeing all the teen Big Three smiling in the diner scene.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I am also still holding out hope we will get an episode about how Rebecca and Miguel reconnected but I would so completely be on board for a spin-off about those two!  They are my favorite characters on the show.

There are still 8 more episodes. Plenty of time for their love story. Next week is their anniversary, so maybe the episode after that?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Triviatrish2 said:

Will someone please tell me where Rebecca and Miguel live at this time.  Do they live in Philly or LA? 

11 hours ago, Empress1 said:

LA. Remember Kate said last episode that she didn’t want to move to SF away from her sick mother. Rebecca goes to PA eventually - the Poconos, where the cabin is and where Kevin is building the house. That’s where the deathbed flash forward is. Rebecca and Miguel never live in Philly.

Rebecca and Miguel lived near Randall and Beth when they decided to move out to LA. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, mostlylurking said:

I thought we saw in an earlier episode that they reconnected via Facebook around the time Tess was born? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I thought we saw in an earlier episode that they reconnected via Facebook around the time Tess was born? 

They did, but we haven't seen what happened between then and them getting married.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Rebecca and Miguel lived near Randall and Beth when they decided to move out to LA. 

I think that was when Randall and Beth lived in NJ, not Philly.

What @CdrJanny said. I think it’s been a question of being near grandkids (Pearson grandkids, because I assume Miguel has grandkids too). For a long time, Randall was the only one with kids so they were near them.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

They did, but we haven't seen what happened between then and them getting married.

They dated, engaged in cos play where Miguel would put on a mustache and pretend to be Jack, got Rebecca's marriage to Randall annulled and then lived happily ever after until the series started. 

1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

If this was real life, I would say they would not get back together because the obstacles between them are pretty significant.   However, because it is this show, I wouldn't be shocked if they did get back together.

• LOL 19
  • Love 1

I liked this episode more than I expected to. Overall sappy but sweet. The Randall as senator seems farfetched until I remember we have a football coach in the senate now so who knows. 

I'm biased with this episode by the fact that I have what feels like a similar relationship with my college-age son who I truly believe can accomplish anything. He's my only child so at least no claims of favoritism can be made. But seriously  he's awesome.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, gameshowjunkie said:

I liked this episode more than I expected to. Overall sappy but sweet. The Randall as senator seems farfetched until I remember we have a football coach in the senate now so who knows. 

Randall is written to do well in politics.  He checks off a lot of boxes for different voters and I can definitely see why the DNC is interested in him.  His origin story also echoes Barack Obama's  2004 DNC speech that propelled him into an eventual presidency.  While I do think him becoming president is farfetched, the story has always been there since season one.  

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, gameshowjunkie said:

He's my only child so at least no claims of favoritism can be made.

My mom had one of each so she could claim to have a favorite son and a favorite daughter. Though I'm not convinced the favorites were not, at some times, the dog (girl) and her cat (boy). (The girl cat was my dad's; or rather, my dad was hers. Technically she was mine...)

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 8
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, TV phone calls are brutally abrupt.   They save their long, slow conversations for when they're driving with their left ear and gazing at their passengers.

And SO much wasted food on TV! Nobody ever finishes their meals. Oh, and never shutting the door when they go in a house.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

My mom had one of each so she could claim to have a favorite son and a favorite daughter. Though I'm not convinced the favorites were not, at some times, the dog (girl) and her cat (boy). (The girl cat was my dad's; or rather, my dad was hers. Technically she was mine...)

My maternal grandmother used to call me her favorite granddaughter. (I was her only granddaughter and my brother was her only grandson.)

It is interesting that the favoritism in the Pearson family is pretty blatant. Randall is Rebecca’s, Kate was Jack’s. “Where’s Kevin? Kevin’s dead.”

• Love 17

These three episodes have wrapped up the scene leading up to Kate's wedding and have answered Rebecca's call for all of them go on with their lives.

KEVIN - He had the pad of paper in the hotel room that had the "Big Three Construction" letterhead.  In his episode we see how he founded it with Cassidy and Uncle Nicky.

KATE - She was getting married. In her episode we see the beginning of the end of her marriage to Toby and the start of a new career (working more closely with Phillip -- her future husband).

RANDALL - Kevin had the article about Randall in his hotel room.  I forgot the headline, but it was something about rising stars or people to watch. 

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, BC4ME said:

And SO much wasted food on TV! Nobody ever finishes their meals. Oh, and never shutting the door when they go in a house.

Did Randall even take a bite of his sandwich?

2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

My maternal grandmother used to call me her favorite granddaughter. (I was her only granddaughter and my brother was her only grandson.)

My dad's brother always called me his favorite niece. The only other girls on that side of the family were his (he had three (two of whom I've never met), plus two sons and four stepsons, and my dad's sister has a son).

• Love 3

I may be alone, but I wasn’t bothered by Randall that much in this episode.  He’s annoyed me before, but I like him for the most part, know it all that he is. Lol  When I consider how negative Kate is and how cutting and cruel Kevin can be, Randall seems fine.  Looking back,   I still support Randall’s push for the Alzheimer’s trial, because at least with that there was some hope. Normal  current course of treatment for  his mom’s condition is bleak.

I hope Randall grows to realize that when someone spares you from being Power of Attorney, they are doing you a favor.  It’s not a slight.  Serving as a POA can be a very stressful, exhausting and ungrateful  job that can go on for years. Especially, when the person you are helping is cognitively impaired and resist care, which is common with Alzheimer’s.  They often appoint a POA and then become convinced they don’t need help and are capable of doing everything for themselves, when it’s obviously dangerous fir them.  

I must have missed it, but how did Deja leave the cabin late at night?  No car was taken….so, she left on foot?  Hitchhiked?  Walked to a bus station?  The danger of that boggles the mind.  

The teen pool scene….Kevin lies to the officer (no, it’s not beer), Kate deflects (even though we just almost got arrested, let’s go somewhere else we don’t have permission to be..the diner…I work there so much, it’s like I run the place) and Randall (Tells the truth to the officer and tells Kate they don’t have the right to go into the diner after hours).  That’s about right.  Lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 16
4 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

But she has the keys!

Yeah, but I would think that’s supposed to be for work related purposes.  Kate is very special, though, so maybe, she had full carte Blanche. Lol

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

It is interesting that the favoritism in the Pearson family is pretty blatant. Randall is Rebecca’s, Kate was Jack’s. “Where’s Kevin? Kevin’s dead.”

Maybe because we didn't see Jack's favoritism towards Kate as an adult seeing it when she was a kid doesn't bother me too much.  But any version of Rebecca's toward Randall just irks me to no end.  The way she was looking at him when he was saying he would win the Senate race showed a pride I have never seen her show towards Kate or Kevin.  

And my dislike of Randall has gotten so bad everything he does is like nails on a chalkboard for me.  I get the writers love the character and the actor but focusing on him so much and IMO giving him so much more story than his siblings has been a real turn off for me. They did stories with Randall and William.  They did a story about Randall's mother.  They did a story about Randall's wife. They did a story about Randall's daughter and her teenage dad boyfriend which I could not care less about.  But stories we have not seen are, as mentioned above, how did Miguel and Rebecca go from friends to getting married. We have never seen what exactly were Kevin and Kate doing in the lead up to us seeing them in the first episode.  For a show called This is Us it it has been This is Randall's Life.

13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I still support Randall’s push for the Alzheimer’s trial, because at least with that there was some hope.

But she didn't want to do it and he blackmailed her into saying yes.

• Love 20

12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

A nice, beautiful episode. They don’t all have to loud and preachy! Justin Hartley did a good job directing.

I didn't realize he directed this. I loved this episode. By the end, I had five balled-up tissues next to me.

12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I was on Deja’s side until that “I’m just the girl you took from her mother” comment. That was uncalled for, even though Randall was wrong for meddling. 

It was horrible, but that's a teenage girl in love for ya.

Teen Randall talking a cop out of arresting Kate and Kevin? Yeah, only in this shows universe…

A BLACK teen yet. 

12 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

Anyone else want to slap Randall when he said “ I know if I run , I’m gonna win .” He is so annoying . 

Randall knew this was an arrogant thing to say, that's why he told his mom she was the only one he could say such a thing to (though I imagine he could say this to Beth). He's confident, but he knows if says this to most people, they would say, He is so annoying.

12 hours ago, nilyank said:

President. Of course, he is going to become fucking President.

He was a kid trying to convince a cop not to arrest him, so it was partially a joke. Yes, he probably was thinking at that time of his life that he could do anything he put his mind to, but just because he says so doesn't mean it will happen. 

8 hours ago, Marley said:

Please Randall acting neglected during the swimming..he was constantly favoured.

I didn't see him as acting neglected, but as feeling bad for Kevin and Kate. He saw how they were struggling, and he, yes, wanted to fix things. And hey he did! I know that's a running joke here, and often true, but I had no problem with how he got Kevin and Kate out of their funks. I found it very believable.

As is obvious, I'm a Randall fan. And college Randall is so cute, esp when he smiles.

I thought this was a beautiful episode. I esp liked how small moments were shown to provoke memories. They weren't big flashbacks, just little memories, like brushing their teeth or reading together.

When Rebecca ordered the drinks in the bar, I thought she asked for chianti with Classic Coke. :D I thought that was a drink that Randall used to like when he was a kid. So glad I was wrong. Loved it when the bartender said, "Bon appetito."

I watch the show on Hulu so I don't get previews of the next episodes. And that's fine by me.

• Love 19
16 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Maybe because we didn't see Jack's favoritism towards Kate as an adult seeing it when she was a kid doesn't bother me too much.  But any version of Rebecca's toward Randall just irks me to no end.  The way she was looking at him when he was saying he would win the Senate race showed a pride I have never seen her show towards Kate or Kevin.  

And my dislike of Randall has gotten so bad everything he does is like nails on a chalkboard for me.  I get the writers love the character and the actor but focusing on him so much and IMO giving him so much more story than his siblings has been a real turn off for me. They did stories with Randall and William.  They did a story about Randall's mother.  They did a story about Randall's wife. They did a story about Randall's daughter and her teenage dad boyfriend which I could not care less about.  But stories we have not seen are, as mentioned above, how did Miguel and Rebecca go from friends to getting married. We have never seen what exactly were Kevin and Kate doing in the lead up to us seeing them in the first episode.  For a show called This is Us it it has been This is Randall's Life.

He plead his case and she gave in.  It was still her decision. All he said was true.  She did keep info about William a secret for many years and there were other circumstances, that maybe she hadn’t considered.  I suppose I’m biased due to watching a family member decline and eventually die with dementia.  Any chance of hope is a blessing.  Everyone is entitled to make their decision about medical treatment.  I think that Rebecca and family should have toured a Memory Care unit, before deciding on the trial.  It might have helped them understand.  Of course, due to covid, it’s a moot point.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Did Randall even take a bite of his sandwich?

Word!  Rebecca urged him to give Deja some space, he agreed to wait overnight, then said something like "So what shall we do now?"  I thought she might say something like, "Well for starters we can eat this lunch, then we'll go from there."  Instead they left their practically untouched meals to go to a bar.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't see him as acting neglected, but as feeling bad for Kevin and Kate. He saw how they were struggling, and he, yes, wanted to fix things. And hey he did! I know that's a running joke here, and often true, but I had no problem with how he got Kevin and Kate out of their funks. I found it very believable.

The only way Kate was ever going to get over her fear of her face in the water was by being pressured by her brothers.  It's an irrational fear, and no amount of begging and pleading by either Jack or Rebecca was ever going  to work.  But, she got over it after she saw both Randall and Kevin having fun in the water with Jack.  Peer pressure is not always a bad thing.  This felt very real.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

They weren't big flashbacks, just little memories, like brushing their teeth or reading together.

When Rebecca said she used to take Randall to the library every Friday and they were there from the time they opened to the time they closed and then just the two of them would go to Eat n Park I thought and exactly where were Kate and Kevin.

8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

He plead his case and she gave in.  It was still her decision. All he said was true.  She did keep info about William a secret for many years and there were other circumstances, that maybe she hadn’t considered.

He also implied she owed him for not telling her about William.  And he was doing it behind his siblings, not to mention Rebecca's husband's back.  Like I said in my above post, I don't like Randall.  I'm going to find fault with everything he says and does.

Edited by bluegirl147
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:
37 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

still support Randall’s push for the Alzheimer’s trial, because at least with that there was some hope.

The planned storyline was changed because of covid.

Edited by ShelleySue
clarification

I don't know why this show is so insistent on people finding their soul mate, their one true love, practically the first time they date.  Randall met Beth early in college and, seemingly, had not much dating experience.  Kevin married Sophie right out of high school and, despite being divorced for decades, they keep circling back around to one another.  Deja and Malik get together when she is around 15, despite the obvious obstacles, they last a couple years; but now we've got hints that they will somehow get together in the future because it is destiny.  It's not, IMO.

So Kate doesn't want to move to  SF because she and Tobe aren't getting along.  Obviously, Toby isn't the only one issuing ultimatums in their marriage.  If they're not getting along now, and a major part of it is that they are each spending most of their time in different cities; she obviously is telling him that he needs to quit the SF job pronto and get his a** back to LA at any cost or they are done.  She is more interested in getting her way than in trying to fix the marriage.  No surprise there, she is used to doing what she wants while everyone else figures out the details.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

When Rebecca said she used to take Randall to the library every Friday and they were there from the time they opened to the time they closed and then just the two of them would go to Eat n Park I thought and exactly where were Kate and Kevin.

I have to assume their local library was only open on Fridays during the summer from 9-12 or 9-1pm.  There is no way they spent a full day there in the 80s.  I say this as a kid who loved to read, loved it so much that she went to library school, and is currently working as a librarian.  

And yes, I wondered where Kevin and Kate on those days.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

The planned storyline was changed because of covid.

The initial storyline, where Randall blackmailed Rebecca into the clinical trial in St Louis against her will, was before COVID.  They ended up not going because the trial was supposedly cancelled due to the pandemic; but the fact that Randall bullied his mother into a clinical trial was not part of the pandemic changes.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

loved it so much that she went to library school, and is currently working as a librarian.  

Excuse me for being off topic but I live in a neighboring state and go to Ohio libraries because they are so much better.

3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I also wondered if Kate and Kevin ever got to go to Eat n Park with their mother alone.

Well Kate did have a father who seemed to cater to every whim.  She became an adult woman who expected every man to do the same.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have to assume their local library was only open on Fridays during the summer from 9-12 or 9-1pm.  There is no way they spent a full day there in the 80s.  I say this as a kid who loved to read, loved it so much that she went to library school, and is currently working as a librarian.  

That's a possibility. My county library's main branch is open 9-9 most days but 9-5 on Friday and Saturday, and 1-5 on Sunday; in the summer they're closed on Sundays. 

Did Jack not work on Fridays and had Kevin and Kate? (Seems unlikely.)

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Excuse me for being off topic but I live in a neighboring state and go to Ohio libraries because they are so much better.

I also wondered if Kate and Kevin ever got to go to Eat n Park with their mother alone.

Well Kate did have a father who seemed to cater to every whim.  She became an adult woman who expected every man to do the same.

Ohio does have some spectacular libraries.  I am from Ohio, and went to library school there, but I no longer live there.  

• Love 3

Who has catered to Kate’s every whim? Toby is doing exactly what he wants to do . Her abusive boyfriend certainly didn’t cater to her. Yes her brother gave her a job at one point, many families work together and she was providing a service for Kevin. Is her getting a part time teaching assistant job catering? I’m a former licensed teacher and none of my aides had degrees in education or much experience. I also didn’t see Jack catering to her every whim, he was loving and patient with her which every parent should be. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I think that was when Randall and Beth lived in NJ, not Philly.

What @CdrJanny said. I think it’s been a question of being near grandkids (Pearson grandkids, because I assume Miguel has grandkids too). For a long time, Randall was the only one with kids so they were near them.

I seem to recall very early in the series that Miguel's kids blamed him for divorcing their mother and he didn't see them often.  I would hope that changed as they grew up and matured, but I'm not sure they see much of his kids and grandkids.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I seem to recall very early in the series that Miguel's kids blamed him for divorcing their mother and he didn't see them often.  I would hope that changed as they grew up and matured, but I'm not sure they see much of his kids and grandkids.

There was one Thanksgiving episode where Rebecca and Miguel did celebrate with his kids.  Saying it did not go well is an understatement.  Miguel's kids have decided not to give him a prominent role in their lives.  

• Love 10