Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: Gas Pump, House Dump and Stew Volcano

Pallas
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Shermie said:

Please. Do you think “bad hoodoo” hasn’t happened in normal houses? Any house that’s not a new build has history; if you buy from an old person maybe they died in that house. I mean, old people say it all time - “I want to die in my own house.” Many people die at home, so lots of houses have death attached to them. Did Roseanne die in the house they live in now?

And I’d hardly call the normal dealings of death “bad hoodoo” anyway. As I said, normal houses probably have a lot more bad karma in them, like fighting and misery and abuse. And even a new build is built on the history of something. Who knows what happened where your house is?  A lot of funeral homes of the past were put into houses, so renovating one back into a house isn’t a big deal.

I’m hoping there’s a historical society or something that forbids them to tear it down, although that will probably be written as the poor Conners vs the Big Man of Silly Regulations.

Please yourself.  

Did I say anywhere I my comment that I think people don’t die in regular houses and then those houses get sold?  Because I’m pretty sure I didn’t.

We all have our own reasons for thinking or feeling whatever we think or feel.  I reserve the right to call hoodoo.  I am no stranger to death - my parents never hid that stuff from me and I've seen it close up.  I ain't scared of no ghost.  I respect that you feel differently.  I'm actually glad that people brought up that Roseanne died in her home - that is a good point.

• Love 3

Terrible decision not to live in the funeral house.  What else is new?

Funny thing, In the scene where they were shooting the Lunch Box commercial, with Harris sitting at the counter, that is the first time I noticed how much she looks like Darlene.  I guess that's why they hired that actress.  I don't know if it was the angle of the face or what, but it's never even crossed my mind that there was any resemblance there before.

• Love 4

I realize I'm desensitized by often visiting my nana who lived over an Irish funeral home and we had to enter through the place (being very quiet when there was a wake, though not always since not all the Irish wakes were solemn) and when we and some of the neighborhood kids were playing in the back we were really looking down into the basement, where all the embalming, etc, took place. Then I dealt with funeral homes, having lost my entire family by the time I was 38 and then being a nurse, including a few years in home hospice but I am weirdly unsentimental about remains. And I'm terminal, made my own cremation arrangements and howled at the oven on high joke.

Plus, our first house was way beyond (like twice) our price range (actually, our second, too) because it was a fixer-upper that was in perfect condition outside (thanks to strict HOA rules), built to much-better-than-code, but was so filthy and cramped with possessions inside that most people waked out. We spent a couple of weeks cleaning, bought a five gallon bucket of off-white paint and painted every room so it felt clean, pulled up the carpets, and took our time making cosmetic changes. It wasn't a flip but by doing that and selling it later, we made our financial future much brighter. I can't stand seeing people I still actually root hard for, despite their bad decisions, keep making worse ones. I kept looking at that house and just seeing potential. If Dan's able to help, and it's gloomy put in a damn skylight, knock down a wall or something. Gah! But they're grieving, I guess, so....but a teaer-down? Dan building a house? Stupid.  

I had the same idea that Louise and Dan should move there and take their time to fix it up together. I've done it twice with my spouse and the first time, people warned me it would make or break us, but we loved it and had fun both times, and I bet they would, too. But that makes  too much sense.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

If Beverley Rose grows up to be a sour-puss like Darlene and Harris it's because she was forced to spend her childhood in a basement instead of a room with rainbow fish murals!

So colorful murals equal happy childhood? 

some of us probably didn’t have colorful  walls or murals but we probably still had a decent childhood. 

i grew up watching happy tree friends, watching some really dark animes, and I am still optimistic

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • LOL 1

Sone older funeral homes have apartments that are as big as normal homes.  A staff member usually lives there in that case. I got the impression that this one did.   So there would be a kitchen and so forth.  

It’s just a ridiculous plot line.  Lanford is economically depressed.  There should affordable homes.  Dan is a drywaller, not a carpenter. Electrician or plumber.  None if them have the money to build a home from scratch.   
I did notice that Louise is finally getting a little pushback regarding moving  her things into the house. 

• Love 11

This episode was ridiculous.  Jackie is so over the top, it's cringeworthy.  

I find it hard to believe that there aren't any other small blue collar towns with reasonable real estate prices between Lanford and Rockford.  Didn't Becky and her college professor boyfriend have a date in the next town over a few episodes back?  The college kids said they lived out there because it was cheaper. 

I was confused when Don said business was so good that he had to move to a bigger location, but then he will basically give the old house away because he said he's in over his head at the new place.  So Darlene taking over the mortgage with a $500/mo payment would be more helpful to Don financially than him selling it or renting it out?  And I'm pretty sure just taking over someone's mortgage is not even a legit thing?  The bank gave Don the loan, not Darlene.  Also, I would think if Don was that desperate, there would be at least a few interested buyers that would love to have a house with the original stained glass and hardwood floors in a "quiet" neighborhood.  

I thought it was ironic that Darlene kept saying she didn't want the house because it's sad and depressing.  The Connor house is sad and depressing...and they're alive!!

I think it would be a lot less money to renovate the house vs demolishing it and starting from scratch.  Dan knows how to hang drywall and is handy, but that's not the same as knowing how to install plumbing, electrical, HVAC, framing, concrete, etc.  Plus, he's almost 70 and I don't know who is going to help him since no one else knows knows anything about construction including Ben who owns the hardware store.  On a side note, Dan/John Goodman's hand was shaking a lot while he was holding his toast during breakfast.  

Can we get rid of Ben and have Patton Oswalt instead?  

Edited by juliet73
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I did notice that Louise is finally getting a little pushback regarding moving  her things into the house. 

There's no dining room at the Conners'. Is she planning on keeping her dining room set in Mark's bedroom?

32 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

On a side note, Dan/John Goodman's hand was shaking a lot while he was holding his toast during breakfast.

That's because of the (half of an) energy drink. He's apparently never had caffeine before.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Because she put a dining room set in a bedroom, so she can rent a smaller storage space.  Sure, she put it on Harris's side, and Harris is in the midst of an incredibly protracted move-out, but Mark still lives there.  The poor kid is struggling, and now his new step-grandma uses his bedroom as storage space.  He's a minor child whose housing situation depends on the whims of his mom since his dad is a deadbeat, he's not an adult mooch who shouldn't be there to begin with.  Louise really had a poor showing in this episode, between that and her asinine "just tear down a perfectly good house and have this beaten-down old man on the perpetual edge of total financial catastrophe build a new one" suggestion.

Last we heard, she still owned her condo.  Why not keep the dining set there and rent it out furnished?  The condo isn't right for Darlene, Mark, Becky, and Beverly Rose, and Harris can't afford it (and has stupidly decided to move in with Aldo after all), but she can rent it to a real tenant (which is a better call than renting to a Conner who will inevitably stop paying at some point, and probably pretty quickly).

• Love 6

Late to the party here but I agree with everything above.  Nothing about this episode makes any sense whatsoever.  Is it supposed to be yet another example of Conner bad decision making?  The thought of them tearing down that fine old house for Dan to build a new one is preposterous for all the reasons stated above.

There are two things I want to say, though.  The first is that the Conner house IMO is far more depressing than the funeral home, and that's saying a LOT.  Renovation can go a long way to erasing any bad juju in a place like that.  It doesn't even take that much to change the feeling entirely.  Plus let's not even get me started on demolishing something with that much history and probably craftsmanship.  These people are ridiculous.  

The second is that I would think Dan and Louise would want to have their own space to start their married life free from memories of Roseanne.  So why they wouldn't want to be the ones to move into it is beyond me.  Darlene, Becky etc. can stay in the Conner house.  It would solve the problem of where to put Louise's furniture and the Conner house can stay as-is.  Why is the show going out of its way to make things difficult for itself?

Even with all of that, the entire premise of the funeral home house is flawed and unrealistic as was discussed above.  They would have to own the house first to demolish it and assuming a mortgage isn't just a small matter. 

I have to wonder what's going on in the minds of the writers when they come out with stuff like this.  This show just keeps floundering around and spinning in circles.  Pick a freaking direction and stick with it!  I can't see that this will ever come to pass as written here.  There would be so many better episode possibilities if someone just moved into the funeral home house and renovated it.   This show is just going out of its way to be stupid.

• Love 11

It's not a bad idea for Jackie to promote her restaurant, but after going through all the trouble of turning it into a sports bar, why is she still pushing stew as the main draw? That's so weird and niche. Also, she should have more customers in the background for the commercial. Show some of the locals having a good time drinking and watching TV. She should also change the name to something more sports-bar related.

Surprisingly John Goodman looks much more vital in his Righteous Gemstones role so I wonder if his frail look here is intentional

He's got better clothes and better hair in Righteous. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Colorado David said:

did i miss when the Lunchbox went from sandwiches and sandwich type stuff to stews..?

Stew was their idea when they planned to re-open the place, then by the time they went with sports bar it seemed that (dumb) idea had gone away, but apparently not. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Stew was their idea when they planned to re-open the place, then by the time they went with sports bar it seemed that (dumb) idea had gone away, but apparently not. 

oh. i either need to go back and rewatch, or pay better attention! lol.   yeah sports bar it up, burgers, fried anything else, finagle a liquor license. they could make bank - the only other place i remember was the Lobo that Dan and Rosie used to go to.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Colorado David said:

oh. i either need to go back and rewatch, or pay better attention! lol.   yeah sports bar it up, burgers, fried anything else, finagle a liquor license. they could make bank - the only other place i remember was the Lobo that Dan and Rosie used to go to.

Aren't wings the go to sportsball food nowadays?

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Aren't wings the go to sportsball food nowadays?

They abs are, but I one of these weird people who do not care for wings - too much work for too little meat.  Now a drumstick (or 6) or a breast, NOW we are talking.

But yea, Jackie could totally do that - she'd need help probably as it'd create volume for customers, but it's easy quick fix food and encourages beverage consumption (oh no, turning into Jon Taffer here 😈).

Edited by Colorado David
typo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Colorado David said:

They abs are, but I one of these weird people who do not care for wings - too much work for too little meat.  Now a drumstick (or 6) or a breast, NOW we are talking.

But yea, Jackie could totally do that - she'd need help probably as it'd create volume for customers, but it's easy quick fix food and encourages beverage consumption (oh no, turning into Jon Taffner here 😈).

Heck, she could buy most of that stuff frozen and just heat it up. I have literally never had hot wings but they do look like too much work for what you get plus I hate, despise and abominate ranch dressing.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Heck, she could buy most of that stuff frozen and just heat it up. I have literally never has hot wings but they do look like too much work for what you get plus I hate, despise and abominate ranch dressing.

Ick, me too. When I was in college I worked in our little campus fast-food-ish restaurant, and upstairs was our campus (non-alcoholic) bar. One night a week they did wings, which happened to be one of the nights I usually worked, and they would come down to use the fryers. They had these giant bottles of hot sauce, and my manager would often be the one to take the wings out when they were done and pour the hot sauce on in two big trays, and then they would sit there for a few minutes until one of the bar workers came down to get them. I still can't stand the smell of the stuff.

• Love 3

I spent way too much time thinking about this today, but moving into a house that used to be a funeral home could have been an opportunity to demonstrate character growth for both Becky and Darlene while making more sense of each of their story arcs. Becky's shown an interest in psychology; perhaps she realizes she wants to pursue a counseling career specializing in grief support (between being a young widow and Roseanne's death, she has personal experience). Darlene spent the past two (?) seasons searching for more meaning and trying to be contemplative about life. Coming to terms with the fact that our days are numbered can be very clarifying. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Colorado David said:

The great thing about that recipe is that it can be made with any chicken part, even chicken nuggets or tenders.   I prefer the wings because there's more surface area for the sauce, but there are no rules about that so whatever you like is fine.

1 hour ago, QQQQ said:

I spent way too much time thinking about this today, but moving into a house that used to be a funeral home could have been an opportunity to demonstrate character growth for both Becky and Darlene while making more sense of each of their story arcs. Becky's shown an interest in psychology; perhaps she realizes she wants to pursue a counseling career specializing in grief support (between being a young widow and Roseanne's death, she has personal experience). Darlene spent the past two (?) seasons searching for more meaning and trying to be contemplative about life. Coming to terms with the fact that our days are numbered can be very clarifying. 

That would be wonderful but maybe it's my master's in counseling psych. that's making me find both of these women lacking enough depth to handle either the curriculum or the counseling for grief support.  Maybe it's just the way they strike me but it's not hard to feel that way given the way their roles are being written.  I'm not basing this on the former series, only this one because I didn't watch that one so much and didn't have an impression of them going back that far.  Becky has a kind of basic common sense about things but whenever she tries to get deep I feel like I'm watching the scarecrow on "The Wizard of Oz" like she's straining to have a deep thought but it comes out sounding a little too simplistic, LOL.

Despite that I see her more suited to becoming a substance abuse counselor more than a grief counselor.  Usually recovered addicts do very well in that because they have conquered their addiction and really want to help others.  And usually recovering addicts respond well to people that have been where they are.  I think there is a special curriculum in that too and it's not as many credits to achieve as some other concentrations.  It might require a bachelor's as a prerequisite but maybe not always, I'm not sure.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, QQQQ said:

I spent way too much time thinking about this today, but moving into a house that used to be a funeral home could have been an opportunity to demonstrate character growth for both Becky and Darlene while making more sense of each of their story arcs. 

I honestly cringe at this just can’t see it especially with these characters 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

The great thing about that recipe is that it can be made with any chicken part, even chicken nuggets or tenders.   I prefer the wings because there's more surface area for the sauce, but there are no rules about that so whatever you like is fine.

That would be wonderful but maybe it's my master's in counseling psych. that's making me find both of these women lacking enough depth to handle either the curriculum or the counseling for grief support.  Maybe it's just the way they strike me but it's not hard to feel that way given the way their roles are being written.  I'm not basing this on the former series, only this one because I didn't watch that one so much and didn't have an impression of them going back that far.  Becky has a kind of basic common sense about things but whenever she tries to get deep I feel like I'm watching the scarecrow on "The Wizard of Oz" like she's straining to have a deep thought but it comes out sounding a little too simplistic, LOL.

Despite that I see her more suited to becoming a substance abuse counselor more than a grief counselor.  Usually recovered addicts do very well in that because they have conquered their addiction and really want to help others.  And usually recovering addicts respond well to people that have been where they are.  I think there is a special curriculum in that too and it's not as many credits to achieve as some other concentrations.  It might require a bachelor's as a prerequisite but maybe not always, I'm not sure.  

Masters in counseling here, too! Let's face it, this show hasn't been based in reality in a looong time. I just think my idea makes more sense (and moves things forward) than watching them make the same mistakes or repeat the same worn out storylines week in/week out. Yes, being an AODA counselor is another option for Becky, it just didn't tie-in with the funeral home unless we count having Dan build a house at the age of 70 driving me to drink. (Note: I didn't think Darlene should become a counselor.)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

Masters in counseling here, too! Let's face it, this show hasn't been based in reality in a looong time. I just think my idea makes more sense (and moves things forward) than watching them make the same mistakes or repeat the same worn out storylines week in/week out. Yes, being an AODA counselor is another option for Becky, it just didn't tie-in with the funeral home unless we count having Dan build a house at the age of 70 driving me to drink. (Note: I didn't think Darlene should become a counselor.)

A lot of ideas that people come up with make more sense than whatever the writers cook up. My idea of Becky being a nurse from the get go of season 10 makes sense along with having a kid/teenager.

• Love 2
  • Why didn’t Dan move into Louise’s condo and Darlene and Becky stay at the house?
  • Why didn’t Patton Oswald offer to rent Darlene or anybody else the house for $500/month.  Even in Landford that’s got to be cheap for a whole house (I’d rather live with dead people than most of the live Conners).
  • Patton “giving” Darlene his mortgage is so stupid I won’t bother really addressing it other than to say I hope they pretend he didn’t say that in the next episode.
  • Dan was too broken down to do drywalling but now can build a whole house?
  • Is Dan suppose to give up his paying job at the hardware store to build the house?  Is Ben suppose to give up his business so he can help too?  Will they drag Emilio out to help because Beverly Rose will need help putting on her tool belt and hard hat?  I think she’ll be in charge of roofing, Dan’s knees are shot.  It’s too hard for him to get up and down the ladder anymore.  Mark can certainly help.  I mean he built that birdhouse once, why not build a real house for his bird-like mom?

Why do I still care about these characters? The writers obviously don’t.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I have to feel sorry for all of you that were invested in the original series going back all those decades.  I'm disappointed in this show enough as it is and I never watched that much of the original.  I can just imagine how you feel!  I was an ardent "Sex and the City" fan and what they did with that reboot kills me.  I feel like since the pandemic started most TV shows aren't what they used to be to varying degrees.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:
  • (I’d rather leave with dead people than most of the live Conners).

Just having Wacky Jackie around would drive me to drink. And I hardly drink. 

57 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:
  • Is Dan suppose to give up his paying job at the hardware store to build the house?  Is Ben suppose to give up his business so he can help too?  Will they drag Emilio out to help because Beverly Rose will need help putting on her tool belt and hard hat?  I think she’ll be in charge of roofing, Dan’s knees are shot.  It’s too hard for him to get up and down the ladder anymore.  Mark can certainly help.  I mean he built that birdhouse once, why not build a real house for his bird-like mom?

Maybe Ben will give them a discount on supplies.

Didn't Ben fix Dan's roof? (I don't remember him having the qualifications to fix a roof, but whatever.) I guess he can do the roofing for the new house (though his first attempt might just be plastic bags and duct tape).

16 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I have to feel sorry for all of you that were invested in the original series going back all those decades.  I'm disappointed in this show enough as it is and I never watched that much of the original.  I can just imagine how you feel!  I was an ardent "Sex and the City" fan and what they did with that reboot kills me.  I feel like since the pandemic started most TV shows aren't what they used to be to varying degrees.

I did watch all of the original, but I'm not someone who keeps track of all the details that closely (it started when I was in 8th grade and ended the same time I graduated college, so I had some other stuff going on...). People bring up stuff here and I'm like, oh, yeah, that did happen..! Still, show is not even in the same lane. 

• Love 3

I will just say, "taking over a mortgage" used to be a thing.  Like, back in the '80s, when new mortgage rates were double-digit, and being able to take over an old, lower rate mortgage was a big selling point.  We actually did that on our first house purchase.  But, I think lending institutions have tightened up the rules on that in the intervening years.  So maybe all the writers/showrunners are "of a certain age"?

Having said that, there are a whole lot of choices here that make no sense.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

I might be the only person here who has the perspective of actually having lived in a (former) funeral home. My grandfather was the sole mortician in the 30s and 40s for a small town in the Midwest. The house he lived in was the funeral parlor, with the embalming and whatnot being done in the basement, and the living room being used for viewing. By the time I was born, he had passed away but my grandma still lived there, and every summer my mom & I would spend two or three months there. It never creeped me out, although I can’t remember ever going in the basement. I just thought it was an interesting part of history. I’m still a little sad that after my grandma died, my mom sold it on the cheap because by that time we lived 1000 miles away and she just didn’t want to hassle with it. I would live there in a heartbeat today (and run around the basement looking for ghosts, ala “Ghosts”)

This episode reached a new low in dumbness. Was there an explanation given as to why Darlene & Becky had the right to tear down a (beautiful, historic) house they didn’t own? I think there might have been, but it zipped by so quickly & glibly I missed it. (ETA: I guess "taking over the mortgage" meant taking over the ownership as well. I was interpreting it as "make the mortgage payments" i.e. basically pay rent because the first way didn't make sense to me. I forgot what show I was watching.)

Edited by Barbarblacksheep
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

I might be the only person here who has the perspective of actually having lived in a (former) funeral home. My grandfather was the sole mortician in the 30s and 40s for a small town in the Midwest. The house he lived in was the funeral parlor, with the embalming and whatnot being done in the basement, and the living room being used for viewing. By the time I was born, he had passed away but my grandma still lived there, and every summer my mom & I would spend two or three months there. It never creeped me out, although I can’t remember ever going in the basement. I just thought it was an interesting part of history. I’m still a little sad that after my grandma died, my mom sold it on the cheap because by that time we lived 1000 miles away and she just didn’t want to hassle with it. I would live there in a heartbeat today (and run around the basement looking for ghosts, ala “Ghosts”)

This episode reached a new low in dumbness. Was there an explanation given as to why Darlene & Becky had the right to tear down a (beautiful, historic) house they didn’t own? I think there might have been, but it zipped by so quickly & glibly I missed it. (ETA: I guess "taking over the mortgage" meant taking over the ownership as well. I was interpreting it as "make the mortgage payments" i.e. basically pay rent because the first way didn't make sense to me. I forgot what show I was watching.)

I thought “taking over the mortgage” meant renting at first because that somewhat made sense but they they talked about tearing the house down so I guess they meant buy but yes it’s a total mess.  Btw I used to live at a funeral home too for awhile 😊

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I will just say, "taking over a mortgage" used to be a thing.  Like, back in the '80s, when new mortgage rates were double-digit, and being able to take over an old, lower rate mortgage was a big selling point.  We actually did that on our first house purchase.  But, I think lending institutions have tightened up the rules on that in the intervening years.  So maybe all the writers/showrunners are "of a certain age"?

Having said that, there are a whole lot of choices here that make no sense.

You're right.  Conventional mortgages are not assumable, only USDA, FHA and VA mortgages are, which means they're hard to find anymore.  And I really doubt the funeral home would have one of those.  Plus even if it did, not only does the buyer have to qualify for the loan, they have to pay the difference in the equity between the asking price of the home and how much is still owed on the loan.  So if the home was selling for $200,000, and there was $100,000 still left on the loan, they'd have to pay the difference as a down payment.  Unless this guy was willing to sell it to them for not much over the balance left on the mortgage that could be a lot of money.  I don't know that I'd buy that he'd be willing to give the place away.  Plus if the house was in the family for a long time there shouldn't be that much left on the loan to pay so that would mean more money would have to be paid up front by the buyers.

I don't know if this means the writers and showrunners are of a "certain age".  Their age shouldn't be an excuse if they're semi conscious and living in the real world.  Plus it only takes 2 minutes on Google to research something like that.  I think they just want to put this show in an alternate reality where they make up the rules of life as they go along.  My question would be, "Just how much weed are they smoking when they write these things?" 😏

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I think they just want to put this show in an alternate reality where they make up the rules of life as they go along.  My question would be, "Just how much weed are they smoking when they write these things?" 😏

The pic is my mood every time I read the summary of the episodes or read the description of the plots 

D16BB131-D5A5-4A27-A000-FCEDCE13C978.jpeg

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I think we need to give up on trying to make sense of the writers decisions. It's beyond belief to think no changes have been made to the house in thirty plus years. Paint is fairly cheap, carpet can be cheap, kitchen tile can be cheap. Couches don't last for more than ten years if they are actually used, how could the same couch from the original show still be in the house?. Good, solid wood furniture can last but the Conners have none of that.  It would have made way more sense for Louise to bring in her newer stuff from her condo rather than store, the "kids" feelings be damned. Seeing the house look exactly the same is ridiculous, they have many adults who could contribute to updates that wouldn't cost a fortune.  Louise needs to put her foot down, this is HER house now. The "kids" are heading on 50.

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, CapeCodLuv said:

I think we need to give up on trying to make sense of the writers decisions. It's beyond belief to think no changes have been made to the house in thirty plus years. Paint is fairly cheap, carpet can be cheap, kitchen tile can be cheap. Couches don't last for more than ten years if they are actually used, how could the same couch from the original show still be in the house?. Good, solid wood furniture can last but the Conners have none of that.  It would have made way more sense for Louise to bring in her newer stuff from her condo rather than store, the "kids" feelings be damned. Seeing the house look exactly the same is ridiculous, they have many adults who could contribute to updates that wouldn't cost a fortune.  Louise needs to put her foot down, this is HER house now. The "kids" are heading on 50.

Really their feelings be damm … their mom f died their dad remarried like a year after or some bs but sure let just let lousie take over everything.

If the family had properly grieved instead of writers writing the family like they don’t have issues with someone essentially taking over the place of their mom then yeah it won’t be much of a problem.  Like slowly letting go of somethings not just replacing stuff immediately like your suggesting.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, CapeCodLuv said:

I think we need to give up on trying to make sense of the writers decisions. It's beyond belief to think no changes have been made to the house in thirty plus years. 

I thought that myself but then when I catch random episodes from decades ago the house looks more modern and updated than it does today!  Given that I am coming out of context somewhat it's been a real head scratcher for me.  I was expecting the house to look just like it does now only in better condition, but no, the kitchen table, the cabinets, the couch, the walls, etc. were different and in some cases more modern looking.  And this stuff changes depending on the season and year of the episode.

• Love 4

wow, who writes this nonsense? Even if Darlene could take over the mortgage which was already explained here why that wouldn't happen, why would they ever in a million years decide to build an entire new house and have to pay for that when finances are supposedly the main issue in the first place?   Also what Dan is going to build them a whole house with his bare hands on his own or something?   What little house on the prairie type crap are these writers thinking about?   It's honestly hilarious how they were so nonchalant about that, hey dan, could you build a house?  (never mind the issue of you know, ripping down an entire other house first)  yeah, sure, I could do that.  tf?  Why wouldn't the guy who was selling it just rent it out or something anyway?   I'd love Roseanne's take on this train wreck.   It would be a whole different show if she was still involved.  It also kind of bugs me that Dan who is supposed to be this jack of all trades guy is living in a house that looks like theirs does.   He can build an entire house for Darlene but he can't drop down a new kitchen floor and paint the walls or something?

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Really their feelings be damm … their mom f died their dad remarried like a year after or some bs but sure let just let lousie take over everything.

If the family had properly grieved instead of writers writing the family like they don’t have issues with someone essentially taking over the place of their mom then yeah it won’t be much of a problem.  Like slowly letting go of somethings not just replacing stuff immediately like your suggesting.

They are in their 40s. They really like Louise and encouraged the relationship. They are happy Dan has someone new that they like and that they know really loves him. These are not small children that need to be eased into the new relationship They also know they should not be living at home at their age, with their children. 

Louise has nice things but she has to hide them because it hurts the "children's" feelings.  Doesn't Louise get to have feelings? Wouldn't they rather have nice things, from all their belly aching it sure sounds like they would like nicer things. Who wouldn't want a brand new couch or fresh paint? It;s bad writing. They should have had the family embrace the change and help her fix the house up to her taste, especially considering they should not be living there. It would have took a weekend to update the living room if they all pitched in. There is no reason to have a couch from the 90s, or a dog playing poker on the wall. That's just stuff, not Roseanne.

It wasn't a matter of slowly letting go of things. The only option she was given was a new bed. There is nothing else of hers in the house, no pictures on the wall, photos, furniture. Yet she is supposed to contribute to the mortgage, and she doesn't complain. I am complaining for her, she's a saint.

I am with those that think Dan should have moved into her condo and rented or sold the house to the girls,  problem solved.  I am also on the same train with those those hating what they are doing to the funeral home. I think we are all better writers than those being paid.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Yeah let just all  praise Louise as this saint …

photos they already added the photos from her and Dan’s wedding there are absolutely no photos of Roseanne. 

With the whole adult kids being okay with lousie I find that so unrealistic and bs storytelling honestly 

Plenty of adult children are happy when their parent meets someone new after death or divorce, it's not uncommon. The girls could display photos of their Mom in their rooms but asking Louise to have one on display in her living room or bedroom is a bit much. And of course when they get their own place they can d what they like. It's just a silly sitcom, I'm sorry if I have upset you with my opinion,. Peace to you Rocknrollzombie.

• Love 9
On 3/24/2022 at 6:01 PM, Bastet said:

It wasn't about the bodies.  Becky initially said something about ghosts, but once they got there they were fine.  It was after they went into the room for kids who'd lost a parent they had second thoughts, and when explaining to Dan and Louise why they didn't want it, they said it was about how much grief and sadness had taken place in that house.

When someone dies, there’s way more grief and sadness in that person’s actual home than in the funeral home that dealt with their body for a few days. Believe me.

2 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

With the whole adult kids being okay with lousie I find that so unrealistic and bs storytelling honestly.

I don’t understand this. The kids are middle-aged and have lives of their own. It’s not like Dan took up with Louise a few months after Roseanne died. Roseanne’s been gone for a few years. Surely you don’t expect Dan to be alone for the rest of his life. It seems Dan’s kids are happy that their Dad found happiness with someone new. They can grieve their mother all they want, but Dan is allowed to move on and have some romantic happiness in his old age.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:59 PM, rmontro said:

Funny thing, In the scene where they were shooting the Lunch Box commercial, with Harris sitting at the counter, that is the first time I noticed how much she looks like Darlene.  I guess that's why they hired that actress. 

Whereas I’ve always thought they looked alike and was impressed by the casting. Yes, Darlene is petite and thin, and Harris is taller and stockier, but their faces are very similar. Their profiles really emphasize this.

• Love 4

Everyone is entitled to their feelings about the show's characters, both new and old. But please avoid specifically calling out other users who have a different view. There's room for everyone to put their opinions out there, as long as it's civil. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, CapeCodLuv said:

There is no reason to have a couch from the 90s, or a dog playing poker on the wall. That's just stuff, not Roseanne.

That couch and all the hideous furniture, carpet and "artwork" in that living room are straight out of the 80s. I remember when it was popular and believe it or not it could get much worse than that.  Interestingly I read that the show couldn't get the actual couch to use in the reboot because the Smithsonian has it and wanted too much money for it so they had to find a similar one on Craigslist and have it upholstered as closely as they could.  

• Love 3