Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E03: Go for the Gusto

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

At some point, I’m going to need a flow chart to follow all the immunity idol nonsense.

Indeed.  What is the advantage that Hai is hiding?

7 hours ago, bankerchick said:

So, I guess the word 'must' has a different meaning when the clue says, 'at the next challenge you must say the phrase' but for two challenges, Mike has not said the phrase?

I'd like for Mike to find out that once all three phrases are said that his idol is useless because he didn't follow the rules.  Only the other two will work.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I wonder if Hai still hasn't had anything to eat but a few hair-like crab legs?  He seems to be the only one who is thinking straight. I loved his furious command to Jeff to tell him what happened to the other votes.

Whether Daniel is a lawyer or law clerk I would stay away from his firm.  He would lose the pictures that proved you were innocent on the way to the judge's chamber.

Poor Jenny.  She was the oldest woman in her tribe, just as Marya was the oldest woman in hers last week.  I notice because that's usually who I'm rooting for.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 14
44 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Daniel: “As a lawyer…”

Chyron: “Law Clerk”

That made me giggle.

Law Clerks tend to be Lawyers who are helping Judges write decisions. One of the most sought after positions is that of a Law Clerk for a Federal or Supreme Court Justice. Those are huge stepping stones. the Clerk does not argue cases in the role but is doing the legal research that becomes the foundation for a Judges legal decision. 

I more laugh that he went to Duke and said "figures" when I heard that. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Indeed.  What is the advantage that Hai is hiding?

I'd like for Mike to find out that once all three phrases are said that his idol is useless because he didn't follow the rules.  Only the other two will work.

Hai got one of the amulet's in the first episode. The three of them work together for an extra vote at a tribal council. If one of the amulet holders is voted out, the two remaining amulets can be used together to steal a vote. If two of the amulet holders are coted out, the remaining amulet becomes an immunity idol. It was a cute way of making the three players who got them think that they would be working together only to find out that they are really going to want to target the others. I think it is Hai, Drea, and maybe the remaining white women at orange, I don't remember her name, has them. The Tribe Tracker will have the exact list.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was already kinda crushing on Jonathan from the first challenge when they had to count the triangles.  He knew that wasn't his thing so he just got out of the way.  Plus he seems to be really kind.  But after last night?  I am ALL IN on the Jonathan Love Train.  I can't even laugh at Probst for being such a fan-boy.  That was some seriously impressive challenge dominance.  That even surpassed Winners at War when BRob and Jeremy were throwing their tribe over that obstacle.  

I didn't know what to think about Chanel until that final tribal but now, don't like her.  Way too cocky and stupid at the same time.  And y'all see Albert Brooks with Daniel?  I see Isaac Mizrahi.  Either way, he can go at any time.

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Hai got one of the amulet's in the first episode. The three of them work together for an extra vote at a tribal council. If one of the amulet holders is voted out, the two remaining amulets can be used together to steal a vote. If two of the amulet holders are coted out, the remaining amulet becomes an immunity idol. It was a cute way of making the three players who got them think that they would be working together only to find out that they are really going to want to target the others. I think it is Hai, Drea, and maybe the remaining white women at orange, I don't remember her name, has them. The Tribe Tracker will have the exact list.

Lindsay. Who is getting understandably overshadowed by Jonathan, but appears to be rather ripped herself, and is probably a huge physical asset to the orange tribe as well.

I think perhaps the interpretation of "you must" in the 3-way idol instructions is tripping people up. To me, it just means "if you want to activate it, you must say this phrase", not that you have to say it each time. Until there's some clear indication that Mike's doing something wrong, I'm going to take it at face value that he has the choice.

MaryAnne is lucky she is on a tribe with a Greek god! She's likely toast if they lose a challenge which I don't see happening unless it's some crazy difficult puzzle challenge. Additionally, Jonathen is now my favorite. I hope he goes on an immunity run for the ages when they merge.

Daniel is clearly a law clerk. He likely realized early on he lacks negotiation and oral arguments skill, both of which were on full display at tribal.

I liked Jenny sorry she was the victim of poor play by her alliance members.

Chanelle is an idiot.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I went back and watched, and I completely overlooked the fact that Jonathan was holding the ladder by himself in the water while Lindsey climbed up it to get the sandbags. 

That's what Jeff said but in the shot directly after he says that you can see that Omar is also holding onto the ladder. Maybe he's not doing as much as Jonathan but he is indeed helping with the ladder. I also think Jonathan was at a huge advantage on that challenge just because of his height. He could stand up and have almost the entire top half of his body out of the water. He was still impressive for sure and I actually really like him but I can't with Jeff already acting like he's literally a God lol.

I loved this ep and am loving this season. The TC was so fun. I love watching people play terribly! And I was so impressed with Hai for actually playing that well since a lot of players probably wouldn't have been as firm as he was just out of fear.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved this ep and am loving this season. The TC was so fun. I love watching people play terribly! And I was so impressed with Hai for actually playing that well since a lot of players probably wouldn't have been as firm as he was just out of fear.

Agreed, but I would even say that it was Hai's fear that partly helped him play it well. He was clearly thrown off (as anyone would be) by the fact that not one, but two people couldn't vote. It was necessary to call out who those two people were, but he still didn't know why. So in a sense, his fear of this unknown factor that everyone but him (and Lydia) seemed to already know about, drove him to adamantly state he was not voting out his only known (Lydia) under any circumstances. To be clear, I'm not saying it was 100% fear - he clearly had some balls as well - just that it was a factor.

The nice thing was that even though that TC had plenty of terrible play and awkwardness and confrontation, there still hasn't been anyone acting so terribly that I flat-out don't like them. Still so far, so good!

Jonathan reminded me of Hercules from the Disney film. Huge, enormous muscles, brute strength, tough yet affable, humble, likeable, helpful, supportive to his team in every way. He's a hero.

• Love 13

Daniel is a weasel. He had already lost me when he demanded that Mike again show him the note that came with the Beware idol, and when Mike started to hand it to him, he snatched it out of his hand and ran away. But he loses the idol and when Mike asks where it is, he immediately says, "you never gave it to me." Then at TC when Hai and Lydia are like, WTF, Daniel you said you were with us? without even blinking, he says that he was only voting the way Chanelle told him to vote. He doesn't even have to think about it; his natural instinct is to to lie and blame someone else when he's on the spot. That's not gameplay, that's a moral defect.

Omar and Chanelle made the same mistake at the Prisoner's Dilemma. From their discussion beforehand, they clearly knew enough about what was coming to plan a strategy and it looked like they did. Twice they said if they could both get something, they would, but if not, then they'd play it safe. But there was no way they could both get an advantage. Either they both keep their vote, they both lose their vote, or one loses a vote and the other gets an extra. So if they had stuck to their agreement, they both would have protected their votes. Instead, each of them figured the other was going to protect their vote -- as agreed -- and then they could snake their way in and get an extra by risking their own. I wouldn't even call it stupid, just a calculated risk that failed for both of them. It was a bigger risk and a bigger fail for Chanelle since TC was that night and she was allied with a cowardly worm, but Omar will probably be okay. If his tribe goes to TC before the merge or shuffle or whatever is coming, then Jonathan and Lindsay will vote out Maryann.

Hai's "where - are - the - votes" face at TC was so funny. The perfect mix of confusion, disgust, and hatred.

Jonathan was really impressive at the challenge. I thought it was a little unfair that they had to do the entire challenge and the other tribes didn't, but it's better than a televised human sacrifice, so I get it. I thought they should have given the tribe an extra reward though, as recognition for doing the whole thing, like maybe let them keep the fruit they traded for the fishing kit.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 17

Kudos to the editors and camera people for their work during that challenge. The use of slow motion and close-ups during their struggle was epic. And Jonathan THROWING people through the water was amazing.

• Love 10

I love Maryann. Finish Tocantins, girl! 

Johnathon has really grown on me. He was BEAST during that challenge. Which was terrifying to watch; I'm not a strong swimmer even in calm water and those waves were horrifying. Good that Jeff stopped it before it could get dangerous.

Ouch, Omar risked his vote even after saying in his confessional that Chanelle really needed her vote. That potential connection is probably gone now.

I knew it was going to be a crazy tribal when there were 25 minutes left, but I didn't expect two ties and the debate that followed. Daniel played his cards too early by stating right upfront that he didn't want to go to rocks. Hai's loyalty to Lydia was admirable.

I liked Jenny a lot because she's a puzzle queen, but she wasn't super interesting to watch so I don't think the entertainment of the show will suffer but her tribe definitely will.

• Love 5

Regarding saying the phrase that pays and the word “must”… I think must refers to activating the idol.  All three of you must say the phrase at the same challenge in order to activate the idol and get your vote back.  Not you must say the phrase at every challenge.  

Maryanne did a fairly good job covering her stupid idol phrase, but she won't be able to do that twice. Then again, she's so weird the other teams might not be suspicious is she brings up the rabbit and the mailbox a second time. 

Hopefully this is the last season for this nonsense, because now everyone has seen this season and the previous one. If they try to do this next season, as soon as someone says something utterly batshit crazy at the challenge everyone will know they're holding an idol.

• Love 11

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I really want to participate in the discussion, but I’m having so much trouble getting into this season. I spend so much time figuring out which advantages are in play, what conditions are required to set up the latest twist, and the ramifications of each 10-pronged decision that I can’t recall, week to week, who the actual players are. Aside from a few big personalities like Maryann, I see them all as interchangeable pawns on Jeff’s crazy Escher chessboard. I’m still watching, but I’m not really having fun.

Same.  Just like last season, I'm not as invested because I can't remember who has what advantage/idol/amulet and what the rules are for each.  I'm very impressed with the good people on this thread who explain what we just watched.  This season and the last, I've felt like I need a pen and paper and several flowcharts to keep the strategies straight.

The one thing I did take from that Tribal was the second-hand cringe I got when Daniel opened his mouth to yammer to Jeff about why he'll never win Survivor 42 - that smacked of someone who feels comfortable with his game position, which he then succinctly blew up while everyone watched.  Fascinating.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

Agreed, but I would even say that it was Hai's fear that partly helped him play it well. He was clearly thrown off (as anyone would be) by the fact that not one, but two people couldn't vote. It was necessary to call out who those two people were, but he still didn't know why. So in a sense, his fear of this unknown factor that everyone but him (and Lydia) seemed to already know about, drove him to adamantly state he was not voting out his only known (Lydia) under any circumstances. To be clear, I'm not saying it was 100% fear - he clearly had some balls as well - just that it was a factor.

I love this explanation - now at least one player's motivations make sense to me.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Law Clerks tend to be Lawyers who are helping Judges write decisions. One of the most sought after positions is that of a Law Clerk for a Federal or Supreme Court Justice. Those are huge stepping stones. the Clerk does not argue cases in the role but is doing the legal research that becomes the foundation for a Judges legal decision. 

I more laugh that he went to Duke and said "figures" when I heard that. 

According to his LinkedIn, Daniel had two judicial clerkships, one for a federal district court judge here in Chicago and one for a federal appellate judge based in Michigan (where he was at the time his season was filmed) and now is an attorney for a private firm. 

What about his going to Duke figures? 

• Love 2

Pointing out that Hai had a 25% chance of being safe in a rock draw. It is a higher risk then not drawing rocks but where was he if Lydia was voted out? Then Hai is the fifth person in the tribe and is screwed at the next tribal. So his risk was relatively small compared to keeping Lydia and submarining the other alliance. 

Hai also knows that he was out of the loop on why two people didn't have votes while Daniel, Mike, Jenny, and Chennelle were not surprised by the missing votes. That piece of info tells Hai that he really is at the bottom of the tribe. 

Hai had no reason to switch his vote. He had no reason to trust Mike,  Chennelle, Jenny or Daniel. The only person that Hai could trust was Lydia. 

So good for Hai but it really wasn't that bold of a decision. 

Daniel gave out tons of info. He was paranoid, the only people who could calm Daniel are Mike and Channelle, Daniel was not going to a rock draw. 

Hai used that info and everything else that he had seen and made the right play. But it is not all that risky a play for him. He had all the info he needed to tell him why he had to keep Lydia AND Daniel told Hai that there wasn't going to be a rock draw so Hai know that Daniel was going to vote for who Hai voted for.

5 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

According to his LinkedIn, Daniel had two judicial clerkships, one for a federal district court judge here in Chicago and one for a federal appellate judge based in Michigan (where he was at the time his season was filmed) and now is an attorney for a private firm. 

What about his going to Duke figures? 

I have an irrational dislike of Duke and think that it tends to be overrated on may ways. It is more of a me thing. 

• Love 2

OK, perhaps I am splitting hairs but I just rewound and this is exactly what the note says:  'At the next immunity challenge you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players.  If another player has found their idol they will reply with their secret phrase.  Once all three phrases have been said at the same immunity challenge, then all three idols have power.'

There is nothing in the note to indicate that saying the phrase is optional if you don't want to say it today, or it's ok to wait until you feel like saying it.  To me the only explanation is that Mike has said the phrase and they have edited it out (unlikely given his conversation with Daniel, but of course still possible,) they are going to penalize him at a future time, or must doesn't really mean must, in which case, why use that word?

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Kudos to the editors and camera people for their work during that challenge. The use of slow motion and close-ups during their struggle was epic. And Jonathan THROWING people through the water was amazing.

Watching it back and just noticed that when he untied the knots and released the ladder, he told the team to start for shore while he went down and got it.   Just an all around class act. 

• Love 11

Probst didn’t say how long team Jonathan was in the water in an EW interview, but he said the other teams were in the water for about 22 minutes.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

And y'all see Albert Brooks with Daniel?  I see Isaac Mizrahi.  Either way, he can go at any time.

It makes me laugh how many different possibilities there are for Daniel -- I can see Isaac Mizrahi too.  And a little Jason Alexander.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

OK, perhaps I am splitting hairs but I just rewound and this is exactly what the note says:  'At the next immunity challenge you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players.  If another player has found their idol they will reply with their secret phrase.  Once all three phrases have been said at the same immunity challenge, then all three idols have power.'

There is nothing in the note to indicate that saying the phrase is optional if you don't want to say it today, or it's ok to wait until you feel like saying it.  To me the only explanation is that Mike has said the phrase and they have edited it out (unlikely given his conversation with Daniel, but of course still possible,) they are going to penalize him at a future time, or must doesn't really mean must, in which case, why use that word?

Actually there's another way to look at it.  You can just as easily treat the must as a modifier of when you say it at the immunity challenge. As in "you MUST say a secret phrase IN FRONT OF THE OTHER PLAYERS." So you can't just sit out the challenge and say the secret phrase at the immunity challenge while you're on the timeout bench. Or say it when you're on the platform where only your tribe can really hear you. 

If the advantage activates and his is disabled due to a technicality like this, I suspect most people would call shenanigans on it, and believe that it went against the spirit of the advantage. Since most people would agree that the intent is to make sure the three phrases are said distinctly in earshot of all the players before it activates; not that it must be said at each challenge after you find it. 

56 minutes ago, Birnam Wood said:

Remember when Probst retired the phrase "Come on in, guys?" even though no one cared?

Why is he still allowed to say "Let's get it on!" in that horrific way at the beginning of challenges? WHY?????

I noticed that right after he said that, there was a closeup of Tori making an exaggerated “let’s go!” face and doing little excited hand motions. I choose to believe that she was making fun of Jeff 😆

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Maryanne did a fairly good job covering her stupid idol phrase, but she won't be able to do that twice. Then again, she's so weird the other teams might not be suspicious is she brings up the rabbit and the mailbox a second time. 

Hopefully this is the last season for this nonsense, because now everyone has seen this season and the previous one. If they try to do this next season, as soon as someone says something utterly batshit crazy at the challenge everyone will know they're holding an idol.

I was coming to post just that. She didn't really think that through (does she ever really?). I echo the others who would like to see Daniel lose his advantage because he didn't say his stupid phrase. Still no clear favorite for me in the game, but no hated players either. 

Oh, and why haven't any of these fans of the game questioned why Jeff hasn't said "come on in guys"??

Edited by tvfanatic13
Still bitter over come on in guys
  • Useful 1
43 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

Since most people would agree that the intent is to make sure the three phrases are said distinctly in earshot of all the players before it activates; not that it must be said at each challenge after you find it

I can see your point, but it doesn't change the fact that the note says, 'At the next immunity challenge you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players.'  Not, 'when you decide to say the phrase, it must be in front of the other players.' And there is nothing in the note about having to say the phrase at each challenge after that.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

If Jeff really wants to continue the Catchphrase twist (which I hope he doesn't but that means he totally will), then the only way to not make it glaringly obvious to everyone from season 43 onward is to make the phrase something a human being would actually say, like "the sky was so beautiful last night" or "I really wish I had a cheeseburger."  Not only is it much easier to work into a normal conversation (unlike "the bunnies in my mailbox ordered dinner" or whatever), but the other players in the know have to listen much harder to catch the phrase, and the players not in the know don't think the person speaking the phrase is having a hallucination or something.  I don't hate the twist nearly as much as I cringe at the bizarre phrases.  It can work without being weird.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 13

It's probably mainly a disconnect between the Advantage designers and how things actually end up being played out. As in normal english running into rules-speak english. The group designing the advantage probably read the wording and realized that there was an obvious loophole of "If I say it to my tribe mates or from the timeout bench, then I can activate it without drawing suspicion", and so they added the "must be in front of other players". 

But they never thought of the wording of "At the next immunity challenge", which should more properly be "At a future immunity challenge". 

Fixing the first case closes a loophole that a player might otherwise take advantage of. But if the player doesn't actually say the phrase at the NEXT challenge, it isn't really an advantage nor disadvantage to the player (if anything it is a disadvantage since they remain voteless since they didn't even try). 

Maryanne told her bunny rabbit story pretty well. Mike, on the other hand, doesn't think he needs to say his phrase until he hears the other two. Now why didn't Daniel say anything to Mike  about saying the phrase at the next tribal council? 

• Love 1

I have an irrational dislike of Duke and think that it tends to be overrated on may ways. It is more of a me thing. 

Not irrational where I come from (Kentucky) lol

I could have sworn last week's preview showed Rocksroy almost drowning and having to be rescued by production, but obviously not.  I definitely saw fear on his face a couple of times though.  I would've been petrified.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

I could have sworn last week's preview showed Rocksroy almost drowning and having to be rescued by production, but obviously not.

Yeah it sounded in previews like he was calling for help so he wouldn't drown but in the episode he was struggling with the ladder and got kind of pinned at which point he gave out a panicked 'A little HELP here???' thing toward his team to help him with the ladder. In the episode he didn't appear to be calling out for the mohawk man to come rescue him.

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, TaraS1 said:

Not irrational where I come from (Kentucky) lol

The last irrational hatred of Duke I noticed was when the local police department decided half the La Cross team was guilty of rape even though there was lots of phone and camera footage to prove they were not. Y'all are just amateurs! lol

2 hours ago, Birnam Wood said:

Remember when Probst retired the phrase "Come on in, guys?" even though no one cared?

Why is he still allowed to say "Let's get it on!" in that horrific way at the beginning of challenges? WHY?????

Jeff was afraid that "guys" was offending half the population, assuming women didn't know that "guy" could properly be used for both genders.

So now he's saying, "Let's get it oln" and offending the entire population.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

It probably took Daniel more tries that Vinny Bagodonuts to pass the bar exam. What a fucking moron. 

Not only does he initially claim to have not been given the idol when he demanded to review the note, he then handed back the note after having it wedged in his crotch. 

Next time that Tribe goes to TC, its gonna be the shortest one in history watching his ass get voted out. His only prayer is to somehow surive til the merge . 

• Love 4

Who can even vote? Hai and Daniel can.

This is weird. Mike and Chanelle are outed.

Daniel needs some work on his courtroom skills.

Rocks!! 

I wonder if Rocksroy will ever draw rocks.

Daniel grabbed a shovel and is digging his own grave. Way to point fingers at Chanelle.

On another website there were comments that Jonathons team should  have gotten more for doing the WHOLE challenge because everything was the same for the teams.

BUT - Though things were initially the same the waves WERE CONTINUALLY GROWING as the tide was coming in, it was getting harder. Each team if quick enough might have been able to complete that portion of the race before things got really rough.  But only 1 team did and that's because Jonathon is a BEAST!  The obstacle was probably setup during a period of relative calm and even though they might have used that particular beach in the past and knew that a scheduled tide would change conditions they also might not have foreseen that a offshore storm would drastically alter the surf to that extent. Another thing is that due to editing we don't know how long these teams struggled.  It might have been a long time. They were getting weaker and the waves were getting stronger so that it looked like neither team could have completed it.  Maybe as a "penalty" the winner of the changed task should have (instead of fishing gear) been ALLOWED to keep their flint. The loser lost their flint and also went to Tribal. Given the way the show is constructed nowadays I think that is what they should have done.

BUT ULTIMATELY I want to say that this show IS called - SURVIVOR!   It is SUPPOSED to be a test - Socially Emotionally and Physically! They don't need tons of Idols or gimmicks! THE FIRST 5 YEARS WERE THE BEST!

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

I noticed that right after he said that, there was a closeup of Tori making an exaggerated “let’s go!” face and doing little excited hand motions. I choose to believe that she was making fun of Jeff 😆

But I don't want to like Tori!

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Birnam Wood said:

But I don't want to like Tori!

Lol you don't have to necessarily like Tori to admit that Tori mocking Jeff's delivery is fun!

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Edited by tracyscott76

My takes:

1. If there’s not already a Survivor Gold Star Award for Best Individual Physical Performance In a Comp, then by god there should be and it should go to Jonathan - his physical structure advantages notwithstanding.
  2. Daniel’s carelessness with Mike’s advantage was mind-blowing - but more significantly, his lack of self-ownership of his multiple mistakes in the situation were both revealing AND foreshadowing.
  3. Chanelle 100% shot off both her own and Omar’s feet simultaneously.  After hammering home to Omar “under NO circumstances can I risk my vote tonight” AND “whatever we do, let’s agree not to jeopardize the other”, Chanelle decides to go Risk - and, in the process, sabotages Omar’s game as well.
  4. Silver (not gold) star to Maryanne for introducing her SIL (Stupid Idol Line) into the pre-challenge discussion; she worked it into this conversation pretty well, but future replications may prove problematic unless one of the other 3WI holders gives her an assist (“…and Maryanne - what was it you said about rabbits in mailboxes or whatever…?”).
  5. So far as his lawyer negotiating skills go, Daniel needs to examine possible future opportunities in the funnel cake industry.  Daniel’s repeated “I will NOT draw rocks on Day 7!” assertions were the functional equivalent of Daniel reconfiguring the Hollywood Sign three feet in front of Hai’s nose to read, “HOLD YOUR GROUND AND I WILL CAVE.  NO, REALLY.  I MEAN THIS.
  6. CSI is still taking tire impressions from Chanelle’s face to identify the bus Daniel threw her under; they will probably be unsuccessful, though, because Daniel threw Chanelle SO FUCKING HARD she went clean past the front tires and straight under the rear duallies.
  7. Sorry, Jenny; you were one of my favorites, and one of the most clear-minded players of the Prisoner’s Dilemma ever - more so than Chanelle, at least.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree, but then there's always the risk that TPTB will come up with something that's even dumber.

Open memo to Jeff: If an idea for a new twist gives you a boner, we know from history that 90% of the time it'll be bad for the game and will piss off the core audience.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Those are the TC I live for.  Mike and Chanelle now have to explain why they didn't have votes (because you know Hai/Lydia are going to keep asking), and Daniel loves to run his mouth so he may volunteer the information without even being asked.  I feel bad for Jenny, but I'm kind of glad Mike's alliance lost a number.  They really played that poorly on so many levels.  They banked too much on Hai/Lydia splitting the vote between Mike/Jenny. 

Mike and Chanelle‘s games may have been damaged, but IMHO Daniel positively nuked his own game beyond redemption.  Who’s going to trust Daniel now?

• Hai?  Hell, no; Daniel attempted to backstab Hai and Lydia by flipping on them in the vote, then argued with Hai for a while* before caving.
  • Lydia?  Even less chance than Hai, for all the same reasons - not to mention it was she whom Daniel was voting to evict.  Twice.
  • Chanelle? Ask her again, after the Greyhound grill ornament impression has had some time to fade from her right asscheek.
  • Mike? After Daniel caved and pushed Mike’s primary game ally out the door?  Not fucking likely.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if that night players on the other teams suddenly looked at each other and said, “Want to hear something weird?  I just got a strong feeling out of the blue that we shouldn’t trust Daniel….”

* I wonder just how long in real-time Peachy let everybody hammer on Hai before calling for the Final Decision.

15 hours ago, bankerchick said:

So, I guess the word 'must' has a different meaning when the clue says, 'at the next challenge you must say the phrase' but for two challenges, Mike has not said the phrase?  Good for Maryanne for being able to say her insane phrase in a way that just seemed like another crazy Maryanne outburst.

Like most (apparently), I was initially under the impression “must” meant “you have to say this at the next TC or you’re in violation of the game rules and subject to penalty/expulsion/whatever” - but now I’m wondering if it simply means “you have say this at the next TC for the idol to be activated”.  The latter is the only interpretation of which I can think which explains why Mike hasn’t suffered blowback for his lack of compliance.

15 hours ago, bankerchick said:

I wonder if the players were aware that it was not necessarily under their control for others to find out they had no vote?

Two of them are sure the hell aware of it now….  😆

10 hours ago, HeShallBMySquishy said:

Honestly, I don't think you should feel that bad. I think a lot of people, myself included, felt that way (or some type of way) about Jonathan from his pre-game interviews, and also, just based on the men who look like Jonathan who have appeared on Survivor over the years, I think we, as devoted fans, can be given a bit of leeway in our thinking. It is unfair to Jonathan that so many of us thought of him as the screeching douchebag you-will-not-speak-unless-spoken-to alpha-male, but I believe that's more down to who Survivor usually casts in that role.

Jonathan is different, at least based on what we've been shown so far. He hasn't screamed and berated his teammates for being useless idiots that he's had to (quite literally in this case) carry through a challenge. As others have pointed out, he has remained calm and collected and has concentrated on getting the job done. (Also... swoon.)

I think the manbun initially threw us all.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, Melina22 said:

That was wonderful to watch. Has there ever been a Survivor quite like Jonathan? Insanely strong and competitive, yet well liked by his tribe and apparently fairly self-aware and humble?

Are we watching the same show? I keep hearing Jonathan's tribemates complaining about how annoying he is.