Type keyword(s) to search

Hillsong: A Megachurch Exposed - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The 3 episode docuseries premieres on Discovery+ on March 24, 2022. The series will explore the full, tangled history of Hillsong. That includes Houston founding the church as an offshoot of his father Frank Houston’s Sydney-based Pentecostal church; the rise and fall of Carl Lentz, Hillsong’s most famous pastor; and Houston’s recent announcement that he’s stepped down from Hillsong for the rest of the year. The reason: He’s fighting criminal charges in Australia that he’d covered up decades-old child sexual abuse perpetrated by his father, which is also covered in the docuseries.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/hillsong-a-megachurch-exposed-interview-carl-lentz-brian-houston-1235202614/

This sounds like one wild story

• Love 3

Looks like Scarlett45 and I are on the same page  I just watched it today.  Holy smokes, what a freaking nightmare of an organization and such corruption through and through.  Glad to see that Brian Houston has been charged with concealing child sex abuse by his father.  Looks like Laura Lentz is sticking with her husband Carl, even through reports of multiple infidelities/sexual abuse over the course of years.  As they said in the documentary, when any organization or person becomes this obsessed about sexuality and regulating it harshly, it's trying to address in others what they cannot address in themselves.  And looks like Hillsong is still alive and well, just like the Catholic church.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Looks like Scarlett45 and I are on the same page  I just watched it today.  Holy smokes, what a freaking nightmare of an organization and such corruption through and through.  Glad to see that Brian Houston has been charged with concealing child sex abuse by his father.  Looks like Laura Lentz is sticking with her husband Carl, even through reports of multiple infidelities/sexual abuse over the course of years.  As they said in the documentary, when any organization or person becomes this obsessed about sexuality and regulating it harshly, it's trying to address in others what they cannot address in themselves.  And looks like Hillsong is still alive and well, just like the Catholic church.

I’m only just on episode 2, but I’m not surprised by any of what I’m seeing. Power corrupts, and when there is profit to be made, those that are motivated to abuse and manipulate will do so. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Of course, I dumped Discovery+ and then saw an ad for this.  I suppose the HBO Max merger hasn't happened yet. I'll have to wait until that happens before I get to see this.  I thought the it looked intriguing.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DanaK said:

Leaked internal report: Sexual misconduct went beyond Carl Lentz https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2022/04/15/hillsong-carl-lentz-report/

This article mentioned that basically Hillsong Australia had no control over Lentz and Hillsong NYC and he felt he could do whatever he wanted.  I guess that would explain why after one look at this photo 

image.png.82666d9b87c1cbb622f55c8a3fad48a9.png

that he would not have been immediately fired.  This photo shows so clearly what he really stood for -- which was placing his body on display in an extraordinarily sexual manner, and deliberately trying to incite sexual passions, a position that was so unbelievably at odds with the purity message that was hammered into the followers to the point of wreaking havoc with their lives-- that it should have been very obvious to the higher ups in Hillsong what this guy was really all about,  

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

This article mentioned that basically Hillsong Australia had no control over Lentz and Hillsong NYC and he felt he could do whatever he wanted.  I guess that would explain why after one look at this photo 

that he would not have been immediately fired.  This photo shows so clearly what he really stood for -- which was placing his body on display in an extraordinarily sexual manner, and deliberately trying to incite sexual passions, a position that was so unbelievably at odds with the purity message that was hammered into the followers to the point of wreaking havoc with their lives-- that it should have been very obvious to the higher ups in Hillsong what this guy was really all about,  

In episode 2 there was audio of someone saying “the only reason a man wears his pants that low is because he wants women (or men) to think about his dick.” And it’s TRUE. 

Normally I’m not one that associates how much fabric someone wears with their sexual habits, but there’s no way any WOMAN leader of the church could’ve worn anything half as risqué out in public and not immediately been fired. This dude wasn’t at the beach or pool and they snapped him getting out of the water- he was walking down the street “peacocking”. No. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Hillsong Australia isn't exactly doing well these days either, given their lead pastor resigned because he hid his dad's sexual impropriety

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's actually a shame that all this came about, because the Hillsong music that the documentary showed at the beginning, with Darlene Zschech singing "Shout to the Lord", is a really good song and was big at the time that I first came to contemporary Christian music.  They had something great that could have been used for good to touch so many people's lives and instead got power-hungry, along with all the other attendant evils, and ended up destroying many lives.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

It's actually a shame that all this came about, because the Hillsong music that the documentary showed at the beginning, with Darlene Zschech singing "Shout to the Lord", is a really good song and was big at the time that I first came to contemporary Christian music.  They had something great that could have been used for good to touch so many people's lives and instead got power-hungry, along with all the other attendant evils, and ended up destroying many lives.

I think the thing is, a lot of religious leaders (most I would say) DO have noble intentions and want to serve their congregation/ the world. But the thing is if you are spending the majority of your energy tending to your flock, actually pastoring to people, serving others etc, its unlikely you're going to have the energy to "build your brand", or "run the church like a corporation". Those that have the skill set to "run corporations" tend to do that- not run churches.

If Carl Lentz had been an actor, his charisma and stage presence would've been perfectly wonderful skill sets, but he wouldn't have any any reason to be judging the sexual habits of others. 

I don't doubt the individuals that wrote the music for Hillsong were extraordinarily talented, and their music touched a lot of people. It's all about using your powers for "good", and not nefarious purposes. Persons in positions of religious authority have SO MUCH trust and devotion (socially and interpersonally) that when they use those powers for "evil" is an even deeper betrayal. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I wasn't aware of Hillsong, this looks interesting.  There is a megachurch here in the Chicago area called Willow Creek that seems like it has had a similar, but probably less salacious, journey.  It was huge, there were multiple locations all over the area.  Had an enormous following.  Then there was some kind of sexual impropriety scandal, the lead pastor was forced to resign, a bunch of other pastors resigned or were dismissed, people stopped going.  Covid didn't help either.  But it's now a shell of its former self.  I don't think Willow Creek's story is documentary worthy but I'm wondering if there are similar parallels (on a lesser scale) to the Hillsong story.

• Like 1
On 4/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, blackwing said:

I don't think Willow Creek's story is documentary worthy but I'm wondering if there are similar parallels (on a lesser scale) to the Hillsong story.

Don't forget the Crystal Cathedral out in Orange County. In my experience, once a charismatic preacher dies and one of this children takes over, it's a family cult.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 4/18/2022 at 2:28 PM, LuvMyShows said:

So if I am following correctly an American pastor  and his church took on the name or were placed by the church made famous by Australian songwriters in a denomination that locally chooses its pastors. I am sure there is some linkage if not actual command from  the Australian name plank makers though. 

On 4/19/2022 at 10:00 AM, blackwing said:

I wasn't aware of Hillsong, this looks interesting.  There is a megachurch here in the Chicago area called Willow Creek that seems like it has had a similar, but probably less salacious, journey.  It was huge, there were multiple locations all over the area.  Had an enormous following.  Then there was some kind of sexual impropriety scandal, the lead pastor was forced to resign, a bunch of other pastors resigned or were dismissed, people stopped going.  Covid didn't help either.  But it's now a shell of its former self.  I don't think Willow Creek's story is documentary worthy but I'm wondering if there are similar parallels (on a lesser scale) to the Hillsong story.

I know people who went to Willow Creek! I grew up not that far from it either but never attended. I always wondered what happened to them and I seem to remember what you mentioned. 

On 4/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, LuvMyShows said:

I want to check the show out.  Is that Bieber in the photo with Lentz?  I read that he he attended the church in LA some time ago. 

On 6/29/2022 at 9:05 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I want to check the show out.  Is that Bieber in the photo with Lentz?  I read that he he attended the church in LA some time ago. 

Yes, that’s him

• Useful 1

Finally got a chance to watch this today. Generally, I don't like things that hop back decades and then return to the present and prefer straight line past to present type docs. Also, I am a very fast reader, but some of the black screens of text (I'm sure there is a name for them but I don't know what it is) went off the screen so quickly that I was unable to finish reading what they said. This was especially prevalent during the early interview with the two people who ran the church in Kiev.

I learned everything I needed to know about Lentz (and other pastors of these types of places) from the preachersnsneakers guy. When the pastor walks around in outfits that cost more than many parishoners' total net worth, something is going on there. The image of him walking with Bieber also tells you all you need to know. 

People need to believe in something. Vulnerable people want to feel like they belong. Others just want to belong to the latest fad because they have nothing else to do. Some people are involved in celebrity worship and get off on the "so and so goes here so I am too" type thing. Throw a lot of longing faces-- for various reasons-- into a room with a narcissistic megalomaniac that can see that these people will do anything he demands and it won't take any time at all for the fleecing of the flock to commence.

The below covers it all. 

On 4/16/2022 at 9:35 PM, LuvMyShows said:

As they said in the documentary, when any organization or person becomes this obsessed about sexuality and regulating it harshly, it's trying to address in others what they cannot address in themselves.  And looks like Hillsong is still alive and well, just like the Catholic church.

• Like 1
On 4/16/2022 at 8:35 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Throw in a large number of other organized churches into that mix. 

I came across this last night...somewhere.  I saw two episodes.  Are there more?

I remember another minister/evangelist a few years ago who had a huge scandal along the same lines.  Preaching purity while cheating. Also while posting work-out, half dressed, muscle flexing photos.   I had even gone to see him once before the scandals with some friends here and thought he was weird.  He rapped during the program/sermon/show.  I can't remember his name and in the saddest turn of events ever, I tried to google it and got all kinds of evangelist scandals but I haven't hit on his name yet.

3 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I came across this last night...somewhere.  I saw two episodes.  Are there more?

I remember another minister/evangelist a few years ago who had a huge scandal along the same lines.  Preaching purity while cheating. Also while posting work-out, half dressed, muscle flexing photos.   I had even gone to see him once before the scandals with some friends here and thought he was weird.  He rapped during the program/sermon/show.  I can't remember his name and in the saddest turn of events ever, I tried to google it and got all kinds of evangelist scandals but I haven't hit on his name yet.

Perhaps Eddie Long?

13 hours ago, bunnyface said:

It’s 3 episodes, at least according to the initial press release

Maybe you saw it on TLC? The Futon Critic lists it as being shown on that network last night (I recalled seeing the listing recently, which is why I went looking). A couple of episodes were repeated the last couple of days, then it appears they showed a new 4th episode at 10pm on new revelations, but I haven’t checked Discovery+ to see if they have a 4th episode

Edited by DanaK
12 hours ago, Raja said:

Perhaps Eddie Long?

I tried that and it wasn't him.  This was a young, buff guy who eventually married the blonde woman he was engaged to when cheating and then they had a baby.  I keep thing Aaron or something but getting nowhere.  I want to check him out out of morbid curiosity more than anything else.  Which is probably bad mojo so I should stop.  (but I probably won't.)

This did air on TLC and is available On Demand for those who have cable.  But the On Demand, or at least my On Demand, packaged Episode 2 and Episode 3 together for a two hour episode.  So if you're like me and get confused about where to find Episode 2 after watching the first, just move onto Ep 3 and it'll all be there.

• Useful 1
On 12/31/2022 at 12:05 AM, bunnyface said:

I tried that and it wasn't him.  This was a young, buff guy who eventually married the blonde woman he was engaged to when cheating and then they had a baby.  I keep thing Aaron or something but getting nowhere.  I want to check him out out of morbid curiosity more than anything else.  Which is probably bad mojo so I should stop.  (but I probably won't.)

Is this the guy?

On 12/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, bunnyface said:

On 1/4/2023 at 9:02 AM, bunnyface said:

No thanks.  But again, isn't it sad HOW MANY of these there are?  So many it's hard to pin down the one guy I knew about.  

Clayton Jennings? I only know of the guy because of a really religious aunt that sent me one of his videos about depression where he said something weird about a specific anti-depressant at the end. I looked him up afterwards and wondered why the F she'd send something from a guy who's such a disgusting predator. When looking him up I saw that his YT videos must still get a lot of views even after all of this. 

Clayton Jennings Arrested for Assault and Threat to Do Violence Against Woman

The truth and nothing but the truth about Clayton Jennings.

For the Clayton Jennings Fans: A Summary of the Facts *Updated*

Edited by Jaded

YYes!  Clayton Jennings.  He gave me the heebie jeebies even before I knew about the charges, and honestly I'm kinda slow to catch on to things sometimes.   I guess he did a fair job of burying things coupled along with alllll the other religious creeps popping up.  And I have no doubt he's still creeping it up too.

But I do hope his daughter is okay.

• Like 1

I watched this on Lifetime and unfortunately lost about 15 years of my life to non-denominational churches.  I've been to Willow Creek as one of the churches I attended went to a conference there.  It was more of a college campus than it was a church.  There were speakers from around the world.  Places like Hillsong and Willow Creek were considered the goal.  Yep I am damaged goods thanks to my time spent there.  Nothing sexual thank God but they really do have a sexually repressed mentality for women.  I do plan on writing a book sometime.  

• Hugs 2