Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: You Can't Go Home Again

• Start Topic

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE - As the new Charmed One (Lucy Barrett) comes to terms with her powers, she finds herself resistant to accepting her destiny. Mel (Melonie Diaz) becomes protective and insistent on everyone embracing the new Power of Three, while Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) is apathetic and aloof. But the girls must find a way to accept each other when a new threat starts tracking them. Also starring Rupert Evans and Jordan Donica. Liz Kruger directed and co-wrote the episode with Blake Taylor (#402). Original airdate 3/18/22.

While I think this episode was better than the premiere, the writers really took the easiest ways out of everything.

The way they write Mickaela with her friends is how I want them to write the sisters as whole lol. In these two episodes, I got a stronger sense of "family" and friendship than I have the 3 seasons of the M-sisters time together.

We have a scary Mary Poppins who hides one of Ursulas tentacles in her purse...interesting enough idea...the whole "you get punished for revealing magic" is good enough but where was this woman S1-3? They could've simply wrote it away with "the elders kept things in line and witches safe from that type of magical create (who came up with these rules anyway?) and without them, it's game on w/witches" but they went with cop out #1 Mel read about her in the OG BOS from 3 years ago (impressive memory) so she knows exactly what Mary Poppins is about...and how do the sisters defeat her? They don't. As usual with the shows, the sisters very rarely get to save the day by themselves. Cop out # 2...For some odd reason, this tentacle thing who apparently has a mind of its own, accidently HARMS a mortal and eats Mary Poppins as punishment. Mary Poppins didnt attack the friend. She didnt direct the thing towards the friend. It went towards a witch and the witch stepped out of the way...that doesn't make sense.

Cop out #3 involves some friendship beads. This show really makes things way to easy with magic. You can do anything with it and there are no limitations. So now we have some enchanted beads that can locate anyone who wears it. Whatever happened to some good ol'scrying? Harry/Jordan have their entirely own adventure (sorry a sister should be leading this adventure #1) but it ends up at a cabin where Maggie and Kaela find them. The boys are in trouble...great. What happens next though? Harry has to save them by making Kaela believe in herself. Even when the girls are able to save the boys, its because the boys give a pep talk. With how long it took Kaela to draw something useful, she would be dead. The writers didn't think this power through...if anything she should manifest things accidently from will and advance it to drawings later on...and those things should have a time limit as to how long they last in the real world. Because now she can essentially create life with no consequence. 

Cop out #4...Kaelas friend is injured and dying. Maggie and Kaela are taking their sweet time "saving" Henry and Jordan but they get back to the command center just in time. Jordan is attempting to heal Kaelas friend but he isnt enough. THANK THE GODS they have another whitelighter in the room who can give the two for 1 healing special...why are their healing colors different? I think they should've killed the friend off tbh. 

At the end of the episode Kaela is finally ready to join the sisters but now Maggie isnt ready to have Kaela around...but if we rewind to the premiere...Maggie is inviting Kaela to move in with them and all 3 are sitting together. So....what gives? 

I will say it was SUPER NICE to see Mel use her powers in an effective way and it would've been nice to see Kaela use hers against Mary Poppins as well. I'm already tired of Maggie and her stick though. Enchanted weapons are so boring. Phoebe was a great and interesting sister in S1-4.5, she had very realistic fight scenes w/hand to hand combat but it was always a temporary measure until the 3 could get together to save the day. 

• Love 1

I think these first two episodes have been more focused than anything the show has done in the past two seasons, so hopefully there has been a shakeup behind the cameras in addition to in front of them. This felt like a more straightforward story. Seriously flawed, as Primal Slayer points out above, but less manic and scattered than in previous seasons. More like an episode of the OG series. It helps there's no subplot with Abigael. 

Cop out # 2...For some odd reason, this tentacle thing who apparently has a mind of its own, accidently HARMS a mortal and eats Mary Poppins as punishment. Mary Poppins didnt attack the friend. She didnt direct the thing towards the friend. It went towards a witch and the witch stepped out of the way...that doesn't make sense.

I agree that didn't make any sense. Supposedly she punished witches for revealing magic to mortals but everyone in that room was a witch.

but they went with cop out #1 Mel read about her in the OG BOS from 3 years ago (impressive memory) so she knows exactly what Mary Poppins is about.

Yeah that's baloney. It drives me crazy that the sisters are able to rattle off incantations - often in Latin - as though they've been practicing magic their entire lives. Not only did they just find out they were witches 4 years ago (at most), they haven't had any time to study and learn a fraction of the crap they seem to know off the top of their heads. 

23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think these first two episodes have been more focused than anything the show has done in the past two seasons, so hopefully there has been a shakeup behind the cameras in addition to in front of them.

They have 3 new showrunners who have been vocal about how horrible they believe the show has been and how they want to change things now that they have the power to.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
59 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Im pretty sure they want to avoid all that and she wont be Marisols daughter. 

And I'm sure their explanation will be ridiculous.

• LOL 1

I liked this one more than the season premiere as well.  I've had enough of Don't-Care-Harry so I'm glad he got his epiphany.  Hopefully, Maggie's will come sooner than later because it's grating.  There's not much more to say, though, since this show is so lacking in complexity or originality.