Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: G'Day Mate!

• Start Topic

Captain Jason Chambers introduces a world of underwater adventure to charter guests along the world-famous Great Barrier Reef in Australia; while first-time bosun Jamie faces some initial challenges, new chief stew Aesha clashes with an ornery chef.

Liked the pilot, it doesn't feel like any current BD show, despite Aesha.

The captain is a real hands on guy.  When he sees something dirty, he wipes it down himself.  Says he wants to be more like a brother to them than boss.

However, he sees his first-time bosun Jamie, a former cop, doing some deck work rather than delegating so he tells Jamie to get the deck hands to be more proactive and address things that are obvious without being ordered to.

And on the very first day of charter, the thrusters of the 50-meter yacht fail to work so they get out the jet skis and Ben, one of the deckhands, decides to go with one of the female guests because she was nervous about driving the jet ski.

Big no no.

Interesting because the previous day, Ben was kind of acting like a sad sack to Brittini, another deck hand, about the recent loss of his parents.  But he's whooping it up on the jet ski and when Jamie takes him aside about work, Ben says he doesn't like the formal authority thing and that he's here to have a good time.  Like when he was stuffing his face with the food in the galley while the chef was still plating and the stews were serving the first dinner.

Ryan the chef is a Philly boy and he doesn't want guest input on his menus.  His strategy is to tell the guests what they will be eating as they're serving the food.  Aesha doesn't fight it for the first day of charter but she worries that it will cause some friction with guests.

For the preference sheet meeting, they don't discuss the kinds of foods the guests want or what they don't want.  They wanted a toga party and that was it.  Ryan rolls his eyes at them calling themselves foodies -- who are people who put up Yelp reviews according to him.

Ryan does sound like he's going to bring the traditional BD drama.

Meanwhile Captain Jason explains that the marinas they're in are not very deep and at low tide, they have minimal clearance from the bottom of the marina, meaning they could be stranded in the marina or they could risk damaging the underside of the boat, including rudders, hulls, etc.

So he's going to attempt to get out of the marina at night, near low tide, just so they don't lose a full day of charter.  The pilot episode ends with them moving out of the marina.  It sounds like a far more challenging and risky maneuver than anything they've done on the other BD shows, which are mostly about them parking in the marina.

So maybe these people will eventually start to suck, like the other BD casts.  But the captain seems like a solid guy, not preoccupied with coming up with some folksy bon mots.  He's been unable to see his daughter for a year because of the pandemic.

I also wonder about them filming in that specific location.  Very beautiful but it sounds like the area isn't suited for super yachts.  They show a lot of underwater photos of the area and it's teeming with colorful fish and other marine life.

You wonder how jet skis fit into that environment.  It appears snorkeling will be a popular activity, so hopefully more of that than jet skiing.

They are in Airlie harbor, which is 600 kilometers south of Cairns, which is suppose to be the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef.  The Whitsunday Islands appear to be very underdeveloped, beautiful islands near the coast in that part of Australia.  In Google Maps, you can see that the reefs go from off the NE coast of Australia and run southwards for hundreds of kilometers and the Whitsunday Islands are about where they end.

Very good start but then the original BD and even the first season of BD Sailing Yacht started with a different feel than what they are now, after Bravo assimilated them and cast party animals.

No doubt there will be some crew drama, including on their off days when they will be plied with booze.  But it doesn't quite feel the same.  Other than the captain and Jamie, it doesn't appear any of them are Australians.  Maybe Ben is as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Chef Ryan seems like he's trying to make his selection of food as easy to prepare as possible. He may get away with it with the millenials, but sooner or later he's going to get some primaries that know what true Michelin quality five star service is, and he's going to get his feet held to the fire. Aesha senses this already and so she should. 

• Love 14

‘Strewth!  It’s yet another BD!  As usual, comments in order of scenes shown in episode…

First impressions:  The boat is fantastic!  Really classic vibe on the interior – half expect Captain Cook to be at the helm!  (:

Captain Jason – looks competent and capable.

Chief Stew Aesha – she’s been on before in other seasons of BD.  Don’t recall her offhand in detail, but apparently she sailed under Captain Queeg (Captain Sandy) so good on her for getting away from that.

Bos’n Jamie – Interesting background.  Looks like he has potential.

Chef Ryan – Arrogant, jerk.  Here comes trouble.

Stews Tumi and Magda – Too soon to tell. 

Deckhands Culver and Britt and Ben – Also too soon to tell.

If you blinked you missed the intro to 3 other crew which we’ll probably never see (or won’t see much) – First Officer, Second Engineer, and Chief Engineer.

Already the chef is a dick.  He’s just planning to feed the guests what he wants to without getting any input from them at all (apart from the preference sheets, obviously – will he even read them).  Plus this guy was some sort of pizza chef?  Doesn’t really bode well for the future.  You can’t just slop something on a plate, squirt on a coloured sauce, and pass that off as 5-star cuisine.

Jamie looks like he’s going to bring some structure to the deck crew.  None of this touchy/feely crud we’ve seen from others (*cough* Eddie).

Uh-oh, Aesha wants to be “friends” with her Stews.  That’s not going to cut it.  They’re your workers, not your friends.  I predict chaos and slacking off in future.

The crab legs – I dunno.  I’d prefer my food to be a bit less labour-intensive.

The bow thruster problem – man, that’s unfortunate.  Makes you wonder if some pre-checks were not performed before the charter started.

Dumbass question of the week from one of the guests – “How important are hydraulics?  Do we need ‘em?”  Yikes.

If Magda keeps breaking the glassware there won’t be any left!

I have to admit, I thought there would be problems with the Stews before the deck crew, but it’s been the opposite out of the gate.  The Stews seem to be getting along and getting it done, and Jamie’s deck crew are like wandering cats.

Ben – “I don’t like hierarchies.”  Then you’re in the wrong line of work, dude.

Cliffhanger for the exit from harbour, but I don’t think the Captain would risk it if he thought it would really be a problem.  Will be interested to see what happens next!  (:

• Love 11

They did take it down to the last second getting out of the harbor.  I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot of Captain Jason - much less laid back than Glen, Lee, or Sandy.

Tumi's tablescapes are what Sandy has been dreaming of.

• Love 10

Thalassa seems bigger then the typical yachts used on Below Deck & Med. Are all the crew beds doubles? We've definitely not seen that before. The galley also seems enormous, which is good since it has to house Chef Ryan's massive ego. How does he not realize he's there to serve the guests on their timetable not his.

Captain Jason is easy on the eyes. Jamie too. Oh, and Brittini is such an unfortunate name. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Brittini rhymes with martini seems to be proud of that name.  Says people can call her Britt but she prefers the full name.

They said 50 meter?

Doesn't sound that large but obvious is comparable to the other BD yachts, as far as galley, the various lounges and decks.  It doesn't seem to have the big garage-like compartment in the back, with it dropping down for them to put the jet skis in the water.

Instead they keep the jet skis on the deck and lower them by winches?

But it also doesn't appear to be tall enough for the super slide?  Or have that large inflatable trampoline.

Instead looks like snorkeling will be one of the key activities offered.  They said sting rays are okay if you don't get too close to them you'll be fine.  Steve Irwin got killed by a sting ray, though it was around Cairns.

• Love 2

Just watched the first episode on Bravo. Benny is going to be a problem and the chef leaves a lot to be desired. This millennial would have been annoyed that I paid thousands of dollars to eat food I could easily make at home. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

I dunno.  This show seems to belong to the Restaurant Wars school of reality TV. 

Personally, it's just not interesting or fun for me to watch things constantly go wrong and have people fighting endlessly.  I watched about 20 minutes of the first episode and just got bored with the setup and stressed out by the previews.

Edited by Lassus
  • Love 1

I liked it but it really has little to differentiate it from other BD shows. Plus with so many new people, and airing right after BDM I'm getting the two shows' crews mixed up. I only vaguely remember Aesha from BDM.

It's like they deliberately search for chefs that will be assholes, isn't it?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I liked it but it really has little to differentiate it from other BD shows. Plus with so many new people, and airing right after BDM I'm getting the two shows' crews mixed up. I only vaguely remember Aesha from BDM.

It's like they deliberately search for chefs that will be assholes, isn't it?

I  watched this on Peacock while Sailing Yacht was airing. Found myself getting the crews and scenarios mixed up.  Liked this show because of Captain Jason and Aesha.  

• Love 7

Holy wow, Captain Jason! 🔥 Oh... but then he started talking. Nevah mind. If he just stands there silently looking stern, it would work for me.

I loved Aesha, she's such a happy and inappropriate goof.

What we're Brittini's parents thinking with that name? 

chef, and Ben (I think?) are already edging toward my nerves. Jamie is a bit intense right off the bat.

Whoops first day and the boat breaks!

Tumi made me laugh with her reaction to Magda saying that her boyfriend was her soulmate and that they've been together for 5 months.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I kinda started watching this by accident, but I liked it...I think.  The first episode, anyway.

For the most part everyone seemed upbeat, and that is a welcomed relief.

Except for the Chef, but he seems like the kind of guy I will enjoy ragging on.  Not that I watched it that closely, but so far it seems like he just makes big pieces of meat and plops them on a plate or platter, and thinks that's what people want.  So far it seems to have worked too.  Poor Aesha, she has her work cut out for her with that control freak. 

On 7/13/2022 at 5:14 PM, WhatAmIWatching said:

Holy wow, Captain Jason! 🔥 Oh... but then he started talking. Nevah mind. If he just stands there silently looking stern, it would work for me.

Haha, I pretty much had the same thoughts, but he is impressive.  When he cleaned that table himself, and led by example, he won me over.   I loved Captain Lee but Captain Jason may be even bettah!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Shannah Banana said:

I kinda started watching this by accident, but I liked it...I think.  The first episode, anyway.

For the most part everyone seemed upbeat, and that is a welcomed relief.

Except for the Chef, but he seems like the kind of guy I will enjoy ragging on.  Not that I watched it that closely, but so far it seems like he just makes big pieces of meat and plops them on a plate or platter, and thinks that's what people want.  So far it seems to have worked too.  Poor Aesha, she has her work cut out for her with that control freak. 

Haha, I pretty much had the same thoughts, but he is impressive.  When he cleaned that table himself, and led by example, he won me over.   I loved Captain Lee but Captain Jason may be even bettah!

Don't get me wrong, I love listening to an Australian accent! It's something about the way he moves his mouth that gave me a little ick. Yesss his jumping right in to clean things and do stuff was fantastic! I hope he stays cool, then I can add him to my fave pile. Glenn is so far my fave, because he's like an alien. When he doesn't get certain trends or references, it cracks me up. I also do have a soft spot for Captain Lee.

• Love 3

The chef sucks.  He is one step up from the chef that could not make pancakes and made nachos that looked like a 5 year old made them.  He made TACOs for a formal dinner with the captain!  Who does that? And serving his burgers for lunch when guest are not even at the table and he thinks it was Aesha's fault?  What a dick.  I think we have been spoiled now with Marcos being such a great chef and he was nice and not your typical drama queen like most chefs are.  His food was embarrassing.  I do hope he gets the boot and soon.

• Love 7

Now that's a Superyacht!

I was horrified at the minimalist, white plastic look of Captain Sandy's new Malta rig.  At $80K for a little jaunt, I would expect maximum old money luxury--enough polished teak, cut crystal, Pratesi linens and five-star cuisine to swamp the boat.  Peel me a grape, please, Captain Handsome.

I thought the show was different enough from the others.  I'm tired of Captain Lee striving to be ever folksier and apparently I'm the only viewer who likes Captain Sandy.  The Great Barrier Reef is a global treasure, although struggling from climate change.  I hope there's a lot of underwater cam.  😍

• Love 3
8 hours ago, candall said:

The Great Barrier Reef is a global treasure, although struggling from climate change.  I hope there's a lot of underwater cam.  😍

The Great Barrier Reef is in Australia. Med was was filmed in Malta. Are you possibly confusing Med with Down Under (Captain Jason) that's now airing after it on Bravo?

What was up with Raygan's schedule?  Jason gets to sleep from 11-5, then has anchor watch from 5-7, then goes back to sleep until 9?  How does that make sense?  I still don't understand why some seasons have anchor watch when others don't. On Sailing Yacht it's the whole night.  Here, she's breaking into 2 hour chunks. I know I wouldn't function well if I had to get up in the middle of the night for few hours.

Finally, you know it's killing Sandy to not go off on Raygan. I predict that she'll only being to hold it in for so long. Anything for camera time with that one.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, snarts said:

The Great Barrier Reef is in Australia. Med was was filmed in Malta. Are you possibly confusing Med with Down Under (Captain Jason) that's now airing after it on Bravo?

What was up with Raygan's schedule?  Jason gets to sleep from 11-5, then has anchor watch from 5-7, then goes back to sleep until 9?  How does that make sense?  I still don't understand why some seasons have anchor watch when others don't. On Sailing Yacht it's the whole night.  Here, she's breaking into 2 hour chunks. I know I wouldn't function well if I had to get up in the middle of the night for few hours.

Finally, you know it's killing Sandy to not go off on Raygan. I predict that she'll only being to hold it in for so long. Anything for camera time with that one.

This is the Below Deck Down Under thread. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/15/2022 at 9:23 AM, gaPeach said:

The chef sucks.  He is one step up from the chef that could not make pancakes and made nachos that looked like a 5 year old made them.  He made TACOs for a formal dinner with the captain!  Who does that? And serving his burgers for lunch when guest are not even at the table and he thinks it was Aesha's fault?  What a dick.  I think we have been spoiled now with Marcos being such a great chef and he was nice and not your typical drama queen like most chefs are.  His food was embarrassing.  I do hope he gets the boot and soon.

This must be a reference to a different episode.  I didn't see any of those meals prepared.  This episode, chef prepared some gigantic Alaskan crab legs and tomahawk steaks.  I find his attitude bad, but I am going to reserve judgement on his cooking for the time being.  His dinner appetizers looked high end.  He doesn't seem to want to please the guests or prove himself (like the way Marcos did).

I think they cast Magda because she is a model.  She may believe that the only requirement for a stew on a superyacht is good looks, but I think she will find out it is a lot of hard work and good service.  She was having trouble carrying provisions and almost fell.  Hope she can step up to the plate!

• Love 1
Just now, SemiCharmedLife said:

This must be a reference to a different episode.  I didn't see any of those meals prepared.  This episode, chef prepared some gigantic Alaskan crab legs and tomahawk steaks.  I find his attitude bad, but I am going to reserve judgement on his cooking for the time being.  His dinner appetizers looked high end.  He doesn't seem to want to please the guests or prove himself (like the way Marcos did).

I think they cast Magda because she is a model.  She may believe that the only requirement for a stew on a superyacht is good looks, but I think she will find out it is a lot of hard work and good service.  She was having trouble carrying provisions and almost fell.  Hope she can step up to the plate!

It happens in episode 2 that's why you didn't see it here.

• Useful 1
On 7/15/2022 at 8:27 PM, candall said:

apparently I'm the only viewer who likes Captain Sandy.

Here I thought I was the only one who didn't have a problem with her.  Although I haven't seen all seasons with her in them, but she doesn't bother me nearly as much as many others do.

• Like 1

Kind of an odd bunch for the crew, frankly. Most of all, the chef seems like a tool, esp. to sweet, sunny Aesha. 😍 You have to be pretty evil to not be utterly charmed by her cheery disposition. 😕

The Skipper seems like a laid-back bloke. Something tells me that if one of the crew pushes him a little too far we'll see some thunder-and-lightning coming from the bridge! 😲

• Love 1

Just started watching this on Peacock and I’m bizarrely stoked because I spent a week at Airlie Beach in 2019. We spent two months in Australia that summer and it was fabulous! I’m really hoping to see some of the local spots in the crew nights off.

We did a day trip out of that marina to go snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef.

That chef is a giant tool.

Edited by NYCFree