Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Viscount Who Loved Me

• Start Topic

Lady Featherington continues to be the best part of this show. She was so badass here, once again. I love her  creativity and how she finds solutions to these difficult  situations.

The fight between Eloise and Penelope was also very good, I felt that angst and I was rooting for Penelope the whole time.

• Love 20
31 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Anthony and Kate were perfection. All that chemistry oozing from them in every scene. They fell in love as strangers racing at dawn and finally admitted it under a blanket of fireworks. Well done y'all. Perfect to close with them smiling at each other. We never saw Anthony smile that much in these two seasons so ending with one was the right choice.

Finally, Newton. No notes, he's perfect.

Oh, that scene of the lawn was perfection. Just grinning idiots bathed in the morning sunshine. Brand new day and all that jazz.

I have a note about Newton: wanted more of him.

What I really appreciate is the running thread of women actively making decisions and changes, starting with the insight into Penelope's operation - those were some great scenes of her hustling -, Madame Delacroix being all thank you for your kind offer to rumple sheets, Ben, but I've got work to do, Eloise figuring out Whistledown, down to Lady Featherington being a baller and choosing her kids while hustling a hustler. With an assisst from tried and trusted forgerer extraoridinaire Varley. Not that I approve of her swindling money out of idiots, but credit to her handling the situation marvelously.

Here I go saying something positive about Colin. That was a surprising, competent and effective way he handled Jack. Penelope understandably made eyes at him here. Bonus points for apologizing to Will for what was just a ruse (and a clever one at that, you go, Colin) and bringing business to him. Not to apologize, just because he liked Will and his club. And to mix it all in with youthful exuberance and insecurity over what he had pulled off was the right way to go. Very charming. So if Penelope was able to see that somehow, I get it now.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 16

Goodness.  First Penelope damaged Marina's reputation.  And now her best friend's.  I'm glad when Eloise was yelling at her, she mentioned Marina and called her out on it.  But I just don't know how the character recovers?  Although maybe the writers don't think she needs to since they seem to focus a lot on her and her POV more than almost any other character consistently.

Seeing Kate and Anthony in the last fifteen minutes killed me.  The last four episodes of the season have been so dour, we needed more lightness from them.  Since this season has been full of so many other side plots, I hope we get a lot of happiness from them next year. And sexiness. I do think Anthony is a good "head of the family" character for future seasons at the very least.  Yes, in combination with his mother, but his scene with Gregory was awesome. 

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Surprised but happy that Portia chose her girls and masterfully orchestrated the new Lord F's removal from their lives. She mentioned that Varley forged his signature so that the estate goes to the firstborn grandson. Hear that, Pippa? Better get knocked up asap! I hope next season reveals that said grandson has been born and the family has a more stable financial situation. Their money issues have made for interesting stories for their corner of the show but they can't keep it interesting for potentially 8 seasons.

I might have been confused but I think Portia is keeping the money they effectively stole, she's just going to make it seem it was Lord Featherington who kept the money and ran. And doesn't this cause scandal for Prudence? 

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I might have been confused but I think Portia is keeping the money they effectively stole, she's just going to make it seem it was Lord Featherington who kept the money and ran. And doesn't this cause scandal for Prudence? 

She's keeping the money but not telling anyone that it's same that Lord F stole. She framed herself as one of his victims in her goodbye speech so don't expect it to harm Prudence that significantly. They all know she's a twit already so they'll make fun of her but nothing more than they always do. They won't assume she was involved and their inevitable pity may lead to Portia manipulating someone to marry her and be the family savior. Or something.

What Portia needs to do with the stolen money is to hire someone to help invest it properly. Maybe even suck it up and ask the Bridgertons for advice. I doubt Lord F will return since he'll have a target on his back and I really doubt Portia's getting a second husband so she'll have do make this money multiply or end up right back where they started this season.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

I think Eloise, while had a reason to be angry...once again, doesn't take responsibility for her own actions or thoughtlessness.....She knew exactly what she was risking but going to the printshop....someone would have found out eventually and it would've been much worse....she blames Penelope for getting caught, completely ignoring the fact that she was already caught BY THE QUEEN who was threatening to ruin her family....Eloise needs to get over herself. And she literally left the party to destroy her friends room to get proof.....I mean being so sure your right that your pulling up floor boards?

I think Eloise was angry because Penelope had used her, lied to her, pretended to be other she is, in short betrayed her and her family as well as other people. In the first season Penelope almost ruined Daphne's chances to marry well and then she revealed Marina's pregnancy to the whole world.  

In this scene, it was Penelope who doesn't take responsibility for her actions. She has earned money with dirty means instead of writing something useful. When the Queen believed that Eloise is Lady W, Penelope didn't confess the truth but threw her best friend to the wolves. 

• Love 24
13 hours ago, bijoux said:

Not a fan of Edwina either. I tried to keep an open mind, but come on, it took Kate almost dying for her to forgive her. Girl, please. 

I think Edwina being angry and feeling betrayed so long was quite understandable under the circumstances: Kate had lied to her, or rather kept silent, about the dowry she could get by marrying an English gentleman and her feelings towards Anthony. As she said, she didn't know her big sister at all.

Of course she forgot that it was she who insisted to marry Anthony while Kate was against it, it was she who persuaded Kate to be nice towards him and it was she who said that she loved him which made Kate finally insist that he persisted in the engagement instead of telling Edwina the truth or at least the half of it: that he didn't love her (actually, Edwina should have realized it herself as they never even kissed). 

3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Surprised but happy that Portia chose her girls and masterfully orchestrated the new Lord F's removal from their lives.

Portia is an adult, so she knows that the affair with a man like Lord F would have been a short one.  

• Love 16

Jonathan Bailey is a hell of an actor, and I really hope he sticks around (with his new wife, of course). There were multiple references to him and his wife moving in, her becoming the new lady of the household, etc., so it would seem that it is the case. But those Brits don’t always seem to like to stick around for too long. Hope he and Simone Ashley are locked in.

I did very much appreciate that Anthony apologized to Kate for their sexy gazebo times, letting her know that he shouldn’t have done that, she deserved more, and it should not have happened like that. I mean clearly he wanted it to happen. But with all those mentions of his honor, he seemed intent on it either never happening (if she was leaving), or happening after they were married.

The scenes with Anthony and his younger siblings are lovely, and I wish there were more. I imagine they are very close, as he’s basically the only “father” they’ve ever known.

Random, but the Queen sends jewelry to show her sympathy? “We are sorry your father died. Here, have this ruby neckace.” Ha ha ha ha.

I knew it would be Benedict approaching Eloise when she was sitting alone on the swings. I am just so happy they are close.

Glad that Eloise figure out that Penelope is Lady Whistledown. Don’t know how that relationship ever gets repaired, though. They will spend the entire next season not even speaking.

Colin, you dick. “I would never dream of courting Penelope Featherington.” Sir, you are definitely not out of her league, WTF?

Cried during Anthony’s love speech in the garden. Loved her from their first meeting 😭

Loved the call back to the earlier Pall Mall game with Kate grabbing the mallet of death, and Anthony getting stuck with the pink set, hehehe.

I didn’t like her in season one, but I did enjoy that little shot of Daphne (at the end) looking so happy that Anthony was happy with his new bride.

All in all, I do not think there will be a better season of Bridgestone than this.

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 22

I promised myself that I wasn't going to binge this show, that I've gotten used to not binging shows. That lasted 2 days. lol

This isn't the best show but both seasons were enjoyable for different reason. I did not miss the Duke. Anthony more than made up of his absence. And his chemistry with Kate was much more intense then Daphne and the Duke. Or I'm a sucker for enemies to lovers storylines. I'm not surprised they had sex, that lust was bottled up since they met and it finally boiled over. I also liked that he was pleasuring her. Anthony didn't need someone that was agreeable like he wanted, he needs some that challenges him that is the only way he'd be happy. Plus she is like him in being the carer of the family and putting off happiness so their families can be happy.  Hopefully they learned that they don't have to control everything and let their children learn some things on their own.

Although will all the talk about a man and woman being alone together, they are lucky that Daphne unlike Anthony last season didn't tell anyone about them. Then they go have sex outside his own house, where any one of his many siblings and mother could walk by. Then we have Pen and Colin and since they consider her so sexless that no mentioned anything about them being alone together. 

While Pen is right Eloise is all talk and no action. She isn't actively ruining people's reputations for her gain. She ruined Marina and her best friend by outing them like she did. She had private information meant for her ears only and she shared it with the whole ton. How can she ever be trusted again. 

Now that El knows hopefully she can get a new storyline, her Mrs. Whistledown obsession was annoying last season to. She had her fun with the lower class, I wonder if she'll continue with that. I liked Theo told her the truth about her privilege, that yes being a woman has its holdbacks, but she is rich woman and has more opportunities then a poor woman. 

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Roseanna said:

In this scene, it was Penelope who doesn't take responsibility for her actions. She has earned money with dirty means instead of writing something useful. When the Queen believed that Eloise is Lady W, Penelope didn't confess the truth but threw her best friend to the wolves. 

Oh yes.  The "you're just jealous" angle.  That annoyed me.  No shame for the betrayal or the lies or the impact of her letter.  No.  She has done something "great." She has done something industrious but she mistakes that for something "great." 

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Irish Mermaid said:

Overall, I enjoyed S2 more than S1. I understood Anthony’s reasons for not wanting to fall in love more than I did Simon’s, and Kate was more interesting than S1 Daphne. 

Me too.

3 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I did very much appreciate that Anthony apologized to Kate for their sexy gazebo times, letting her know that he shouldn’t have done that, she deserved more, and it should not have happened like that. I mean clearly he wanted it to happen. But with all those mentions of his honor, he seemed intent on it either never happening (if she was leaving), or happening after they were married.

I think he made a very grave mistake by apologizing as Kate had been a quite willing partner. Instead of apology, he should have asked why she had gone riding - did she feel remorse and/or doubt his love? Before all, his apology was clearly at least one reason why she interpreted that he only proposed to her because it was his duty to do so after they had had sex.  

44 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

'm not surprised they had sex, that lust was bottled up since they met and it finally boiled over. 

I liked those scenes where they almost kissed and looked longingly at each other because that is the old way to make torment the audience and make it want them to become a couple.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

Here's something I appreciate about the final scenes aside from how beautiful and hot they are together. There's the direct juxtaposition to the season opening with Anthony joylessly running ragged. Here he's not only unable to quit smiling, he's been on a six month honeymoon without any indication he's planning to end it soon. He's just comfortable in his own skin and in the life he's building with Kate.

Then there's the sunlight kissing their skin both on the lawn but also in the bedroom. When they kissed in church there was sunlight streaming through the windows. When they met in the park the next morning it was coming through the tree tops. Both times around them but not touching them. Like flashes of hope that was crushed. And now finally it's been realized.

Now, I realized that Anthony wasn't just checking out Kate's thigh durig the hunt, the dumbass was leaning after her for a sniff. See?

How many times had he actually done it that I missed. No wonder he took a big junkie whiff at the gazebo, he was addicted.

• Love 7

Simone Ashley is so beautiful, good lord. She and Anthony are GORGE together.

I’ll be rewatching. I’m only sad it didn’t go on longer.

I also suspect Penelope and Colin gets bumped to season 3. There’s no reason they have to stay in order of the books.

• Love 10
27 minutes ago, bijoux said:

How many times had he actually done it that I missed. No wonder he took a big junkie whiff at the gazebo, he was addicted.

I loved when he took a big whiff at the museum and even Lady Danbury was like wtf? Lol

I wonder if they would let Eloise be with her printer. Since they let Kate become a viscountess without technically being from society family. 

Besides the sexiness of Kate and Anthony. I do really like Bridgerton family scenes. I love the small Benedict and Eloise scenes, they are the outcasts of the family and since Anthony became the "father" figure of the siblings, Benedict became the older brother. Colin is closer in age to El so they tease each other more. And the youngest are seen but not heard, with the F named child being completely invisible. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Goodness.  First Penelope damaged Marina's reputation.  And now her best friend's.  I'm glad when Eloise was yelling at her, she mentioned Marina and called her out on it.  But I just don't know how the character recovers?  Although maybe the writers don't think she needs to since they seem to focus a lot on her and her POV more than almost any other character consistently.

3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

While Pen is right Eloise is all talk and no action. She isn't actively ruining people's reputations for her gain. She ruined Marina and her best friend by outing them like she did. She had private information meant for her ears only and she shared it with the whole ton. How can she ever be trusted again. 

The show should just ditch canon and make Penelope the villain of the series, because she/Lady Whistledown already are. 

• Love 10

Oh yeahhh, I forgot about the girl with the F name (literally can’t conjure up her name right now). I can picture her face, though, and recall that she looked the boring sort. Can we just skip her story?  LOL.

I could have done without any of the boxer/gentleman’s club owner (and his wife) stuff. With Simon gone, they just used up valuable screen time.

My preference would have been to end the Edwina and Anthony courting stuff mid-season, marry Anthony and Kate, and then allow us to see much more of the happy honeymoon stage of the relationship in the last few episodes. But at least Kate didn’t have their first child in a tacked on flash-forward in the last two minutes of the season 😆

• Love 6

I agree LadyChaos. Penelope has been in a tough spot from beginning of season one. Everyone but Eloise ignores her, and she probably wouldn't mind (she's pretty much left to her own devices and that gives her freedom), but it hurts when Colin does. She's been crushing on him for years and years. I liked her and the modiste collaborating. I'm not saying what she did was right, but I understand why. Eloise needs to remember she's a valued and loved member of her rich family and Pen, not so much.

• Love 17

The fact that we're having this discussion about Penelope, again, is one of my frustrations with this season.  It's basically the same damn story arc for her and it took up precious time on the show. 

Penelope warned Eloise because Penelope was lady w.  Eloise visiting Theo wasn't being "talked about."  It was knowledge she had because Eloise trusted in her and confided in her. 

I'm not saying Penelope hasn't faced some trials but one would think it'd make her be more considerate of the person who loves her.  Eloise can understand that about Penelope but no one should have to be a friend or involved with a person who has lied to them and betrayed their trust.  It doesn't even seem like Eloise has exposed Penelope given that she's back writing which is more than Penelope has done for people who considered her a friend. 4

One more tidbit:  I did like how they made Anthony look like he was 18 again when he brought Kate to her house.  I am a bit confused by what happened after they had sex, though.  Did she run home to her house?  How?  Did she wear a nightgown to the ball?  So many questions. 

• Love 11

Have to say that they are going to have to recast Simon if they want to show Daphne again in future seasons. Excuses for his absence can only go so far (1 season) until it just gets to be a Pokearoo situation (shucks, I missed him again!).

This season was better than the last one.

• Love 10

I don't get why screen writers want to destroy the source material. This is happening with the current season of Outlander. The source material will always be better to work with and not deviate. 

• Love 6

Did Lady Featherington plan all along to get rid of their 4th cousin, "the new Lord Featherington"?
I think so.
And good for Polly Walker as Lady Featherington!
She fooled me.

Maybe Colin told the guys he wasn't into Penelope so it wouldn't be gossiped about? 
Or, slightly more likely, he knew his family would never approve the match so long as her thieving cousin had not returned the investors' money?
Or, was Colin just flirting with Pen as an excuse to get into the Featherington house so he could investigate the scam that Muldrich had talked about?

Penn had to out El to prove to the Queen that El was not Lady Whistledown.
As Pen discussed with Madame Delacroix, the queen would never believe Pen if she confessed to being the real Lady Whistledown, because the Queen would think Pen was just protecting her friend. But when Pen outed Marina's pregnancy last season, that was because she wanted to break up Colin and Marina because she was jealous.
So, even though Eloise is mistaken about Penelope's motives for outing Eloise, Pen deserves to pay the price for what she did to Marina. IMO. 

But if Eloise had gotten pregnant with printer’s assistant Theo Sharpe, would her family have sent her away to have the baby and give it up? Or was that not an option? 
In a Jane Austen book, Anthony might have set Theo up with some sort of position as a clergyman or in the military. 
If Penn's letter was the only thing that could make Eloise stop seeing Theo, then Penn likely really did do her a favor. 

On 3/25/2022 at 6:54 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Here's the list of all the songs they did this season as string instrumentals:

https://netflixlife.com/2022/03/25/bridgerton-season-2-soundtrack-songs-featured-covered/

I'm kind of hoping that next season they do a slow, all string version of "I was dancing in a lesbian bar" during one of the ballroom scenes.

Thank you!
Hah! That was "Wrecking Ball" at the Featherington ball. Great pun and sounded perfect!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

The fact that we're having this discussion about Penelope, again, is one of my frustrations with this season.  It's basically the same damn story arc for her and it took up precious time on the show. 

The Pen/LW story arc is worse this time around IMO. In the 1st season, I could see why people might cut her slack for outing Marina (though I didn't) -- she was in love, she had little time to work with, she didn't want Colin's life to be ruined. 

Here, she has the benefit of knowing how shitty the Marina situation nearly turned out to know that she shouldn't mess with people she cared about. She also was much closer to Eloise than she was to Marina. And she had more time to act and more options that should be obvious to her. For instance, she could have outed herself to either the Queen or Eloise and cooperated with the Queen. She could have printed some piece of gossip about Eloise that was less potentially devastating, like making fun of her looks or dress. Also, unlike the Marina case, it's very possible that outing Eloise's secret would not get the Queen to think that Eloise was not LW.

2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Have to say that they are going to have to recast Simon if they want to show Daphne again in future seasons. Excuses for his absence can only go so far (1 season) until it just gets to be a Pokearoo situation (shucks, I missed him again!).

I don't even think it made it through this season. I can't remember if the show gave a direct reason why he was not attending the failed wedding, but I would tend to doubt that any explanation would be believable. Anthony was his close school buddy, is his brother-in-law, and it's a party thrown by the Queen. He would basically have to be dead or out of the country to justify not being there.

2 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I know that Penelope did wrong, but I can't stand Eloise.  Smug, complaining, slouching about like no woman of the Regency Period ever would, blind to her privileged, comfortable life and to other people's pain.  If Penelope was her best friend, why didn't she know about the extent of her family's money troubles?  The Featheringtons might have tried to keep it all secret, but a close enough friend, an observant friend, would have discerned something was going on and tried to help.  But then it wouldn't be all about Eloise, would it?

The Featheringtons spent a lot of time and effort hiding that they were really broke. The only signs in either season that we are told about their money troubles are generally not things that Eloise would have been privy to -- that Lord F 1.0 had gambling debts, that household bills weren't being paid, that they slow-walked the dowry for the one who got married off, that some of the household staff was getting let go. 

Even assuming Eloise noticed that, say, x staffers were no longer with the Featheringtons, asked about it and saw through the lie that Pen would almost assuredly tell her, what then? She has little money of her own. She can't really petition Anthony to help the Featheringtons out. 

Eloise is all the things you say about her, but I think dinging her for this is unfair.

7 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

I don't think people are being very fair to Penelope. Was she right with what she did with Eloise, no. But its not fair to say that it didn't weigh on her, and that it was an easy thing to do. Yes the right answer was to out herself, but I think Penelope was afraid to be in the spotlight given that she is more or less, ridiculed, humiliated, neglected, and treated horrible by the ton and especially by her family with as little recognition she gets already...... I think that LW was how Penelope coped with her treatment. Outside of what happened with Marina, most of what she was saying was already getting talked about, by evidence is that she is writing gossip sheets, as in she is writing what she overhears people already talking about around her....because people view her as nothing, and therefore treat her as no one important. Eloise was already caught by the Queen, so she wasn't saying anything about Eloise that wasn't already going to come out. At least it was cavorting with political radicals instead spending time alone with a man, which would have resulted in her married to someone.

As far as Marina was concerned.... what exactly was the right answer? In truth, it was a miracle it didn't come out sooner since EVERYONE in the Feathrington household knew, staff included. She tried to warn Colin but he dismissed her.... If she told him outright, it would have not mattered, he would still have been honor bound to marry Marina because he as a man could not break off the match. Penelope was trying to protect Colin from being trapped into a loveless marriage and being used. Marina deserved to be outed. 

And as much Eloise blames Penelope for 'ruining' her and her own family.....Eloise isn't taking any responsibility. She was told multiple time to drop the hunt for LW, she ignored. Was told the dangers of continuing to see the printer, and continued to see him anyway....even after the Printer warned her to stay away...she came running back the second he mentioned LW....She idolized LW for what she was doing in season 1, and was still mostly singing her praises in s2 until she was the one in the pages....which meant Eloise, like everyone else in the ton, was happy to pay for and read the pages when someone else life was in ruin. As they pointed out in s1, there are dozens of scandal sheets all around london that spread gossip....its just that LW was more entertaining. 

Does that make Penelope right, no. Should she have outed herself to protect Eloise, yes. But I get why she didn't. She's using LW as her armor against the world that treats her badly.....but threw it all away in disgust after what she did. Then picked it back up after her fight with Eloise and overhearing Colin, because she needed her armor. She is, in a way, I think addicted to writing as LW. LW is her coping mechanism against the world she lives in. She can't outwardly stand up to her mom, so when her mom and sisters ridicule her...sometimes in public...and she responds by making cracks at them in the sheets....she is well aware that everyone thinks their family is a joke anyway.

While in truth, I think the real issue Eloise has with Penelope is that she for 2 seasons, she was hunting for LW and LW was right there. I think in truth, Eloise is likely more upset that Penelope didn't confide in her and let her in on her secret. But the reality is, I don't think Penelope really confides in anyone. I don't think its jealously for Eloise, since she clearly wants different things in her life than Eloise does....but I think Penelope's used to everything about herself being made fun of, that she is actually afraid to let herself be open.....and in the past Eloise has not been very receptive to any opinion of Penelope's that differed from hers.....I mean every time Penelope hints at wanting to be loved and get married, Eloise dismissed it.

Again, I'm not saying that Penelope was right....I think that they were both wrong....and neither of them are taking much responsibility for their actions.....but I see people saying (on a few SM plateforms) that Penelope is going to need a redemption arc....I don't think so. I think Penelope needs to learn to stand up for herself and love herself. 

I think people aren't being harsh enough on Pen, particularly this season. At least with what she did with Marina, she did seemingly/arguably have some remorse about how she felt boxed in a corner. Here, after now a second case of scandalizing her own friends and relatives having huge consequences, after being called out on her behavior and losing her best friend, she essentially doubles down and attacks her former best friend and goes right back to publishing. 

Pen could easily have outed herself to Eloise and the queen. (Indeed, the whole plot that the queen can't figure out who LW is stretches suspension of disbelief. There are only so many printers that could be used to produce LW. Stake them out and interrogate the people who work there.) As far as we are shown, the Queen has no plans beyond co-opting LW to make herself look better. 

The people who knew about Marina generally could be trusted to keep quiet about it. Even assuming that eventually the Bridgertons or someone would figure it out and word would spread, that is still an order of magnitude better than it being in black-and-white from a source deemed authoritative and read all over the upper class. As just a rumor, it still had deniability and there were limits in how it would spread. If Pen had told Colin outright, he totally could have broken off the match quietly.

Anyway, as I said above, one could excuse what LW did to Marina as ignorance/love-blindness or what not. There's no real excuse for what she puts Eloise through, and it's made worse by attacking Eloise and has resumed the persona she knows is harmful.

8 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

I could have done without any of the boxer/gentleman’s club owner (and his wife) stuff. With Simon gone, they just used up valuable screen time.

It strikes me as weird that the boxer was able to open up his business with no issues when Lord F 1.0 was killed for colluding with him to throw the match. One would think that the unsavory gangster types who killed Lord F 1.0 would have also exacted some sort of revenge against the boxer who got rich from taking a dive. It also seems weird that boxer would have risked going up against Lord F 2.0 after having been threatened with being outed as taking a dive.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I know that Penelope did wrong, but I can't stand Eloise.  Smug, complaining, slouching about like no woman of the Regency Period ever would, blind to her privileged, comfortable life and to other people's pain.  If Penelope was her best friend, why didn't she know about the extent of her family's money troubles?  The Featheringtons might have tried to keep it all secret, but a close enough friend, an observant friend, would have discerned something was going on and tried to help.  But then it wouldn't be all about Eloise, would it?

Not to mention how ridiculous it was that she tore up the floorboards of Penelope's room, when even the maids hadn't discovered her secret hiding place.  What if she'd been wrong? 

It was still way out of line even though she turned out to be right! She had zero right to go tearing Penelope’s room apart to snoop. I liked Eloise in season 1 but this time around I found her completely obnoxious.

ETA: Costume gripe. Why was the wedding dress white? It didn’t become popular to wear white until Queen Victoria did it.

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 1
  • Love 21

I enjoyed this season more than season 1.  I do wish we got a little more of Kate and Anthony together at the end.  I don’t care about the Featheringtons, so was disappointed that they got so much screentime.  

Team Eloise.  I really can’t stand Penelope at this point.

• Love 3

I did like Antony/Kate much more than Simon/ Daphne. I thought the chemistry was better and the obstacle to their getting together more organic.

The post-dinner scene was 🔥

I will say ( as a non book reader) I was expecting Colins mushroom tea to make another appearance... I  expected someone to accidentally get dosed.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, sacrebleu said:

I will say ( as a non book reader) I was expecting Colins mushroom tea to make another appearance... I  expected someone to accidentally get dosed.

Oh my God, Violet and Lady Danburry! Hey, maybe they can have some event for the married ladies next season and they can all get high. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I think Penelope was afraid to be in the spotlight given that she is more or less, ridiculed, humiliated, neglected, and treated horrible by the ton and especially by her family with as little recognition she gets already...... I think that LW was how Penelope coped with her treatment.

I think that is probably how she rationalizes it in her little Jan Brady/middle child syndrome pea brain head, but it does not absolve her of her sins, which are many. She is selfish and narcissistic, and that outburst at Eloise was mean.   And no matter the genesis of her pathology, she is well able to move past childhood hurts and behave respectably yet chooses not to even when it hurts her best friend. I think she is vile. Maybe not fishead pie levels of vile, but vile. Not much worse than a liar.

Eloise's foibles this season boil down to recklessness, but Penelope's are founded on deception and lies and betrayal and allowing people she presumably cares about to suffer in her place. Her Lady Whistledown phase has gone from an amusement to actually harming people and she's so into it that she refuses to stop. She deserves every bit of misery that comes her way.

And a moment of appreciation for Kate's gorgeous and absolutely swoonworthy caramel skin. Even I appreciated that thigh and I'm an old straight woman, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

I think there was way too much melodrama/soap opera, but Kate and Anthony were reasonably characterized and very well acted that I bought why they were drawn to each other and why that was so difficult for them. They are so alike, which can be strange and even repellent, yet at the same time there's a great understanding between them to go with the attraction. And how they were shackled by circumstances and their own sense of duty into thinking about what they ought to be doing seemed plausible enough as well. 

I also think that they've written themselves into a corner with Penelope tbh. And the conflict with Eloise seemed like an attempt to address it, but where do we go from here? Someone/Eloise has finally pulled into the open that some of the stuff that Penelope is doing is actively malicious and destructive (and yeah, does she want to ruin the Bridgertons? Both the attacks on Daphne and Eloise seemed way awful...), which she does not want to acknowledge and tries to rationalize away. Will there be some character growth and she acknowledges how much grief and hurt she has caused everyone around her? Because yeah, Lady W is the TMZ of her time, sadistic and mean-spirited. I'm not quite sure if the powers that be are consistent in how this is presented. She can't be this manipulative schemer who doesn't give a damn about anyone she's hurting with the "scoops" in her column and poor widdle Penelope who's just following around Colin like a lost puppy and wants to be bestest friends with Eloise.

Edited by katha
  • Love 9

The highlight for me was when Anthony addressed Kate by her given name: Kathani Sharma.
Even though Bridgerton is set in an alternate universe of racial diversity (which I love, but that's another topic), by addressing her as "Kathani," Anthony acknowledges that he cares about her enough to know her, and demonstrates that he loves everything about who she is.
It is a great contrast to bringing a horse to her sister who actually prefers pets that can sit on one's lap.
Anthony's use of her Indian name is likewise a bookend to his first falling in love with her because of the way she fearlessly and defiantly rode a galloping horse, rather than when he caught a glimpse of her stocking leg as she climbed over a log while hunting with the men. 
And, BTW, Kate's horseback riding and shooting tells us that Anthony will not have to spend time away from her with the guys in order to enjoy such pursuits.

About colors in the show:
Throughout the series the gowns and flowers were mostly at the low-wave length end of the spectrum, featuring shades of purples and pinks. Even the rubies are barely lit so that they appear as "cool" reds rather than fiery.
Then during the wedding, the emerald-green-stoned bangles enter the picture–—a mid-range color if one is thinking ROYGBIV. And, of course, green is symbolic of new growth in spring from the lifeless browns and grays of winter. 
Finally, when Kate and Anthony make their mutual declarations of love, Kate is wearing a high-wave length orange.
ETA: I think in the first episode Kate was going to wear an orange gown and changed out of it? Also, who are familiar with either Indian or British color symbolism may wish to correct my interpretations, or at least shed different light on them (heh, a different color spectrum of light? too many possible puns and double entendres).

1 hour ago, sacrebleu said:

Hah! A Chekhovian mushroom tea!
But no, Benedict dumping into his tea and downing the entire contents of the powder Colin brought back from his distant travels pretty much took care of it.
The only other shoe I expected to drop that never did was to hear him retching out the window because, wow, that looked like a crap-ton of psilocybin. 👀

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21

If Pen/LW just reported that Eloise was in support for women's rights and went to the occasional rally, wouldn't that have been scandalous enough to shut the Queen from suspecting Eloise but not totally ruin  her reputation?

Plus if Pen was so good at gleaming gossip, she should have known about the schemes of Lord Featherington 2.0 but she didn't report on that to save her family even though you can tell she wasn't in favour of it. Or she could have easily written how her mother Portia set up the whole Prudence/L.F. 2.0.

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

That’s why I think the Penelope/Colin story will be next. They have to address it now because it will be totally ridiculous  to focus on Benedict when that is in the background. 

Maybe they can combine the two? Benedict is lovely but other than his relationships with his siblings, his art scenes were kind of a snooze. I would also like Penelope to distance herself from Colin. I would like it to bug the heck out of him, making him realize how much he likes her or more. 

I like both Penelope and Eloise but neither behaved very good this season. 

• Love 10
Just now, libgirl2 said:

Maybe they can combine the two? Benedict is lovely but other than his relationships with his siblings, his art scenes were kind of a snooze. I would also like Penelope to distance herself from Colin. I would like it to bug the heck out of him, making him realize how much he likes her or more. 

I like both Penelope and Eloise but neither behaved very good this season. 

I think this is an idea worth exploring. They could even have 10 episodes instead of 8 to properly do both stories at once. I don’t think one at a time is going to work in show world because the show is fairly different from its source material and certain characters just are naturally more compelling and have had much more compelling buildup through the story already. 

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, greekmom said:

If Pen/LW just reported that Eloise was in support for women's rights and went to the occasional rally, wouldn't that have been scandalous enough to shut the Queen from suspecting Eloise but not totally ruin  her reputation?

I suspect Pen felt obligated to totally put the kibosh on Eloise's developing relationship with Theo. Pen probably felt responsible for Eloise meeting him in the first place in her pursuit of the identity of Lady W, and could not bear the thought of Eloise being "ruined" by such a relationship. 
Pen using a similar approach to "protect" Colin last season by outing Marina's pregnancy was motivated by jealousy. 
But this time I think she meant well. She was taking the advice of seamstress Madame Delacroix.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

I suspect Pen felt obligated to totally put the kibosh on Eloise's developing relationship with Theo. Pen probably felt responsible for Eloise meeting him in the first place in her pursuit of the identity of Lady W, and could not bear the thought of Eloise being "ruined" by such a relationship. 
Pen using a similar approach to "protect" Colin last season by outing Marina's pregnancy was motivated by jealousy. 
But this time I think she meant well. She was taking the advice of seamstress Madame Delacroix.

I rewatched a couple of last season’s episodes including the first one and I was startled to see that Pen as Lady Whistledown wrote that Colin Bridgerton was sweeping Marina off her feet. It seemed out of character for Pen who has always crushed on Colin. But we as the audience didn’t know who Lady Whistledown was at the time and I guess the writers were trying to keep people from guessing correctly too early?

• Love 4