Type keyword(s) to search

S2.E03: A Bee In Your Bonnet

• Start Topic

I really enjoyed this episode. 

As someone who is deathly allergic to bees, the death of Edmund and Anthony’s reaction afterwords really got to me. (Don’t ask me to watch My Girl, okay!)

I am loving how they are writing the sibling interaction here (Daphne certainly knows her brother), but I continue to feel awful for Edwina. She is quite lovely and too deserves someone, she’s going to be so embarrassed and devastated when she finally figures out what’s going on between Kate and Anthony- she hasn’t done anything to deserve that. Ugh it’s going to be MESSY. 

• Love 5

This episode brings back PTSD to the first time I got stung by a bee and the swelling and allergic reaction I got. To this day just the sight of a bee makes me sick. Great episode overall. 

I love the flashbacks of young Anthony and Violet. 

I really like how this show highlights single mothers. There were so many single mothers back in the day -- husbands often died of disease, in duels, or in wars. Or they abandoned the family. While this is a fantasy it is great that they are highlighting how single mothers have to navigate lives with their children.

I loved the pall mall game. The fact that the ladies were doing this in satin dresses just made it that much more awesome. I enjoy the anti-chemistry between Edwina and Anthony. It's so stilted that you understand why it wouldn't work. I also am liking the chemistry between Kate and Anthony.

• Love 15
(edited)
On 3/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, Chaser said:

I felt for Edwina being so out of place with the family and the dinner scene. At the same time, her lack of awareness was frustrating. She was perfectly content being the focus and didn’t look much beyond that till she was forced too. I struggled to like her for that.

Yes, I found myself not feeling anything much for Edwina until she was so devastated and tearful after the botched almost-proposal. We haven't been shown much of her true personality yet. Like others have said, she behaves as though she's nothing more than a programmed "perfect wife" candidate. Do we even know how old she is? I'm assuming no more than 18, maybe younger.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:41 PM, shapeshifter said:

Also, Kate has managed to convince Edwina that she (Kate) has zero intention of finding romance herself.

Edwina seems like a typical self-absorbed teenager in that she views Kate, a parental figure, as having no interior life or motivation of her own other than to protect, care for, and guide Edwina - which is why she's completely oblivious to any sparks between Kate and Anthony. As someone else mentioned, she's not aware of what we all know as the romance novel trope of arguing and initial dislike turning to passion, lol. 

I'm enjoying this season so much more than the first. More Bridgerton family scenes, for one thing, which makes sense with Anthony as the main character instead of Daphne. Plus, there's no distraction of the "who is Lady Whistledown" mystery.

Is it me, or are Hyacinth and Frances never in a scene at the same time? I only counted seven sibs at the dining table. I honestly don't know which is which, lol.

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

Yes, I found myself not feeling anything much for Edwina until she was so devastated and tearful after the botched almost-proposal. We haven't been shown much of her true personality yet. Like others have said, she behaves as though she's nothing more than a programmed "perfect wife" candidate. Do we even know how old she is? I'm assuming no more than 18, maybe younger.

Important to remember that girls entering their season were not supposed to show any personality. They were taught to smile a lot and to look pretty.

Kate as the protective older sister could show more personality.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
23 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Important to remember that girls entering their season were not supposed to show any personality. They were taught to smile a lot and to look pretty.

Yes, and to be fair to Edwina, I think she has a personality, but she is probably naturally sweet and agreeable-until you cross her. Something tells me when she gets mad, she gets MAD. She had no problem telling Anthony she didnt like horses, a girl with "no personality" wouldve been gracious and not asserted that she preferred lap animals. She also was comfortable leaving the Pall Mall game when she wasn't enjoying herself. Edwina has lovely manners, but I don't think she is a pushover.

• Love 19
58 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Actually, I think as an older spinster she's expected to blend into the background.  Her only purpose is to coach Edwina in the ways of being the perfect specimen for marriage.

Edwina does seem geniunely sweet and I can see her giving some opinions but I cannot see her ever showing opposition to the suitor.  Just wasn't done by most women back then, not of any class.  

• Love 6
On 4/2/2022 at 7:53 PM, SeanC said:

Frankly, in a scenario like this where a distant cousin inherits a title, it would have been common, if not expected, that he would give one of the daughters consideration as a bride if he wasn't already married.

This feels authentic to the period because Jane Austen had Mr. Collins coming to Longbranch specifically to marry one of the Bennett girls out of responsibility.  Of course he lucked out because Charlotte Lucas probably had a better dowry.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, OlderThanDirt said:

This feels authentic to the period because Jane Austen had Mr. Collins coming to Longbranch specifically to marry one of the Bennett girls out of responsibility.  Of course he lucked out because Charlotte Lucas probably had a better dowry.

Charlotte did not have a better dowry.  If she did, she would not have been unmarried at 27 with no prospects.  Mr. Collins was in a financial position where he did not need a wife with a substantial dowry.  Lady Catherine told him it was time for him to find a wife, so he went to Longbourne to see which of his unmarried cousins caught his eye.  Lady Catherine being the stickler for protocol that she is would have expected Mr. Collins to settle on Jane or Lizzie.  That is what was done.  Charlotte Lucas was a perfectly serviceable alternative but she was not an upgrade.

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Charlotte did not have a better dowry.  If she did, she would not have been unmarried at 27 with no prospects.  Mr. Collins was in a financial position where he did not need a wife with a substantial dowry.  Lady Catherine told him it was time for him to find a wife, so he went to Longbourne to see which of his unmarried cousins caught his eye.  Lady Catherine being the stickler for protocol that she is would have expected Mr. Collins to settle on Jane or Lizzie.  That is what was done.  Charlotte Lucas was a perfectly serviceable alternative but she was not an upgrade.

Yup, its made perfectly clear in the 1995 version anyway that in his embarrassment after Lizzy’s rejection, Mr. Collin literally asks the first woman he can think of just so he can say he found a wife like Lady Catherine told him to and Charlotte accepts mostly out of desperation. 

• Love 4

But Charlotte's father was knighted (fairly recently,  perhaps)  so he probably had performed some service to the Crown,  usually lending money, and the Lucases could afford to travel, which the Bennets could not. So I think it was more likely that Charlotte had some dowry.  But it's really a moot point.

• Love 3

Mr. Collins didn't need a dowry to marry one of the Bennet girls - he was already getting the Bennet estate. (I never understood why he didn't marry Mary).

Anyway, back to Bridgerton- I do think that the stuff about finding it strange to marry a cousin was anachronistic for this time period. Heck, that wasn't that unusual well into the 20th century. 

• Love 8
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Mr Collins thought first to propose to Jane because she was the eldest and prettiest, but having heard from Mrs Bennett that Jane had a serious suitor,  he chose Elizabeth.

12 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

Yup, its made perfectly clear in the 1995 version anyway that in his embarrassment after Lizzy’s rejection, Mr. Collin literally asks the first woman he can think of just so he can say he found a wife like Lady Catherine told him to and Charlotte accepts mostly out of desperation. 

After Elisabeth had refused Mr Collin,  Charlotte began to encourage Mr Collins, that is, it was she who who actually chose him.

• Love 3

Bless Lady Featherington's scammy little heart. I just know if she lived in the 21st century, she'd be heavily involved in MLMs.

This re-watch is reinforcing how much I like both Edwina and Kate. 

High Benedict may be the best Benedict.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Bless Lady Featherington's scammy little heart. I just know if she lived in the 21st century, she'd be heavily involved in MLMs.

This re-watch is reinforcing how much I like both Edwina and Kate. 

High Benedict may be the best Benedict.

Nah, Portia would be a CEO if she lived in the 21st century. She would have had her 3 daughters via artificial insemination and a string of lovers on the side.  No way she would have married if she did not have to.  She would also be just as meddling. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This was a good episode, and I agree that might be one of the best thus far.   The Pall-Mall game, the flashbacks, and the whole setup to Anthony/Kate's scene at the end all fit together really well into a narrative whole.

The flashbacks were effective and it explained Anthony's attitude and demeanor.  The actors who play Anthony and his mother did an excellent job, and all their scenes together were well written, much more so than their usual arguments.  It is clear the mother wants the best for him, and he is still not over the trauma of his father's sudden death and taking on the responsibilities of the position.  

I didn't think the whole Benedict on hallucinogens subplot added anything to the story, so I wasn't a fan.  I do not want to see Marina again, so I'm not keen on the Colin storyline either.

I was hoping with Anthony's "I will be away a lot" and her clear discomfort with the competition of the game, Edwina would realize on her own that she wouldn't want Anthony as a husband.  

Overall, I'm enjoying this season more, though it could be frustrating if they drag out the triangle too long without any change.

In London, the dinner with the Featherton's was amusing.  Did the Modiste realize Penelope's secret identity?  I liked that the Modiste didn't seem to care.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Camera One said:

I was hoping with Anthony's "I will be away a lot" and her clear discomfort with the competition of the game, Edwina would realize on her own that she wouldn't want Anthony as a husband.  

Me too. It was so obvious that she didn't fit in with the family. I was hoping that she would either see that clearly or get scared off.

• Like 5