Type keyword(s) to search

I Love That For You - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Crickets?  I watched the pilot and it was very enjoyable.  The show also has a great cast.  I'll admit I'm not sure how the premise works in the long run, but as for now, I'll continue to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7

I liked it, too! I thought it was funny and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out. She looked like she had a little bit of guilt there at the end so I'm interested to see how long she can keep up that charade.

• Love 6

Ok so I liked it and didn't think she needed to throw the "I have cancer... again." But does she still have cancer? And why has she but dated? And what is the deal? Lol 1 episode wasn't enough. 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 10:44 PM, hatchetgirl said:

Ok so I liked it and didn't think she needed to throw the "I have cancer... again." But does she still have cancer? And why has she but dated? And what is the deal? Lol 1 episode wasn't enough. 

No… She doesn’t have it. 

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. The casting is great and Jenifer Lewis is fabulous as usual.

• Love 6

My husband said "well I guess David Bowie left his Labyrinth wig behind."  

Honestly, I wish I had the comic actions that Vanessa Bayer has.  The very subtle looks, eye blinks and turns she uses to convey discomfort is really nice.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

I get that she threw the "I have cancer" out in episode one out of desperation to get her dream job, but I'm still having to push down personal issues. I was a teen cancer kid but in 1977 (my parents bought the nurses treats; I didn't take theirs) and there was such a stigma, I didn't even know it was possible to survive cancer. You weren't supposed to talk about it, and I was told, "You'll lose friends, won't get a job (in those days, they could ask) or a boyfriend (lost the one I had when diagnosed). So I did the opposite and talked about it to dispel the stigma. I guess I'll try to root for her because she's showing we cancer kids who decided to speak up did make a little change, and she doesn't seem to want to keep using it. If that changes too much I'll bail, but it's keeping my interest so far. The whole cast is great and yep, Vanessa Bayer's probably why I didn't bail after the first episode.  

• Love 8

I was certain Joanna's feelings for Jordan were one-sided and this was all going to get very embarrassing for her, but it looked like Jordan was just about to kiss her when Pat interrupted with the phone call! I'm interested to see where that goes. 

• Love 8

I kind of love the producer texting Joanna to demand she Venmo her a dollar for the banana, and Jackie noting that all the older ladies brought sweaters with them to the bar in case they got cold. 

I do feel like Joanna's cancer fakeout is really the weakest storyline on the show.  I feel like she'd be subject to more questions, she'd need to at least start showing signs of treatment, etc.   

• Like 3
  • Love 10
On 5/16/2022 at 11:46 PM, txhorns79 said:

I kind of love the producer texting Joanna to demand she Venmo her a dollar for the banana, and Jackie noting that all the older ladies brought sweaters with them to the bar in case they got cold. 

I do feel like Joanna's cancer fakeout is really the weakest storyline on the show.  I feel like she'd be subject to more questions, she'd need to at least start showing signs of treatment, etc.   

I think the cancer fake story is not even needed here, there is so  much comedy to harvest with these actors. I am loving it. The lampooning of home-shopping channels, is so hilarious, the way they go on and on about products they couldn't care less about.

• Like 2
  • Love 11

I understand the Joanna character is supposed to be awkward, but she comes across as borderline stupid. I think she should be more of an “every woman .” Also the boss is a weird caricature. Maybe the cancer will humanize her. Otherwise I like this show. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Maya said:

I understand the Joanna character is supposed to be awkward, but she comes across as borderline stupid. I think she should be more of an “every woman .” Also the boss is a weird caricature. Maybe the cancer will humanize her. Otherwise I like this show. 

i really hope the cancer does something to the boss lady, i find her really unlikeable as is

i guess it goes with the script of who these people are, but the excessive swearing and watching this woman having sex isn't appealing to me either, or am i just too puritanical for this show?

i really liked the first episode,  but my interest is fading and i think i will give it another episode and then not bother if it stays like this

• Love 1

Vanessa Bayer will be live in on QVC today at 1 PM ET.

I wasn't sure if it was OK to share this here. I PM'd a mod and asked, but hadn't heard back yet and I'm getting ready to go out for a while. If anyone misses it, there's a good chance they'll rerun on QVC2 or 3.

955129485_vanessabayerqvc052622.thumb.JPG.92b054d7a00a587f36b6968c7e4cd0a3.JPG

• Love 4

I think there's too much of Patricia. I could definitely have lived without her singing at the nightclub. The character is just too abrasive. 

Interesting they dropped two episodes this week. Feels like burn-off to me.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think there's too much of Patricia. I could definitely have lived without her singing at the nightclub. The character is just too abrasive. 

Interesting they dropped two episodes this week. Feels like burn-off to me.

They did? My guide doesn’t show the next new episode (Crystal Buddiez) airing until Sunday.

Jenifer Lewis can do absolutely no wrong in my book and I love the focus on her character. I thought her song at the nightclub was a perfect vehicle for the montage.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Aileen said:

Jenifer Lewis can do absolutely no wrong in my book and I love the focus on her character. I thought her song at the nightclub was a perfect vehicle for the montage.

I like Jenifer Lewis.  I have no issues with a tough character doing what she needs to do to make sure her business succeeds.  I'm fine with her telling Jackie to nix discussion of her divorce on the air, even if it pisses off Jackie.  I don't care for a character who is cruel for the sake of being cruel.  I thought she was needlessly nasty with her assistant, and could have toned it down a lot with Joanna.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I thought Perry was gay! 😂

Me too! I swear they alluded to that previously… 

OK I’m confused - did Patricia buy Darcy the bag as a way to let him know she was on to him? Or was it really just a nice gesture? I don’t know how he thought he was going to get away with that in the first place. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Maya said:

OK I’m confused - did Patricia buy Darcy the bag as a way to let him know she was on to him? Or was it really just a nice gesture? I don’t know how he thought he was going to get away with that in the first place. 

I presume it was a nice gesture, and his puking is him realizing he is screwed.  I did love him acting out his imagined life with the new bag. 

I did like the lunch between Jackie and Patricia, and how you could see Patricia just switch from her "I'm going to tell Jackie about my cancer," mode to "Jackie is a grifter seeking to fuck my business with her stupid trinkets" mode.  I also liked the revelation that Jackie is a shopping addict and potential hoarder(?)

• Like 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I presume it was a nice gesture, and his puking is him realizing he is screwed.  I did love him acting out his imagined life with the new bag. 

I did like the lunch between Jackie and Patricia, and how you could see Patricia just switch from her "I'm going to tell Jackie about my cancer," mode to "Jackie is a grifter seeking to fuck my business with her stupid trinkets" mode.  I also liked the revelation that Jackie is a shopping addict and potential hoarder(?)

Patricia nice gesture? does that fit with her character? i don't see it

Yikes, Jackie's house.  I sure wasn't expecting that, kind of sad.

Is Joanna going to at some point just feel she can't go on with the lie about her cancer? 

1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Is Joanna going to at some point just feel she can't go on with the lie about her cancer? 

The juxtaposition between Patricia and Joanna's mornings is pretty striking.  If Joanna isn't going to be a full out monster, I'd have to think knowing and seeing what Patricia is going through is going to drive Joanna over the edge eventually.  Not to mention, at least from what I've read concerning various cancer grifters, conning people into believing you have cancer is a lot of work.   

I guess I was expecting more from this show. I don't like Joanna at all. The producer lady is awful. The Perry character is fantastic. Jackie character doesn't work for me either. 

Patricia I'm still on the fence about, but Beth Ann is well-played. 

Will definitely watch the last episode, didn't know next week was last.

It just doesn't add up for me - characters or plot.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I love the producer, Beena. She's in a position that gets shit on, and she's clearly decided she's having none of that from anyone who thinks they're more important than her. I relate to her.

I really love this show and how over the top it is. I look forward to it every week.

• Love 5

I bet Patricia will make Joanna keep up the pretense of having cancer to save the network the embarrassment of admitting to the lie. I don't like what this will do to Joanna's relationships with Jackie and Jordan but I guess she brought this on herself. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Maya said:

Joanna should tell them she actually is a cancer survivor. They could subtly change the narrative a bit and go with that. 

I thought she told them that she had cancer, but it came back. I remember someone questioning that leukemia didn't "come back." It was many episodes ago 

31 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I thought she told them that she had cancer, but it came back. I remember someone questioning that leukemia didn't "come back." It was many episodes ago 

I thought she said she'd had cancer and it came back, but I don't remember what part she said. I remember she blurted that she had it later than she first said she formerly had it, but I can't recall the timing. 

About the other part, did they suggest leukemia can't come back, because I wish that were true. It's similar to lymphoma, which I had (Hodgkin's) but in 1977, and we sometimes call ourselves cured after so many years, but technically, even I am still considered in remission. I looked it up and it's the same with leukemia.  But I'm glad she's feeling guilt (and it's hilarious that her nemesis could use it to take her down but won't because she thinks that would hurt her more than telling. That may have saved me when I was ready to bail).   

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Darian said:

I thought she said she'd had cancer and it came back, but I don't remember what part she said. I remember she blurted that she had it later than she first said she formerly had it, but I can't recall the timing. 

My recollection was that she told them she had it but it came back, and someone in some episode made a mention of how rare it would be for Joanna's childhood cancer to return. 

It was interesting that Patricia seemed to know in the earlier episode about Jackie's spending problems, but I guess she wasn't aware of just how bad things were for her. 

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I bet Patricia will make Joanna keep up the pretense of having cancer to save the network the embarrassment of admitting to the lie. I don't like what this will do to Joanna's relationships with Jackie and Jordan but I guess she brought this on herself. 

I'd have trouble believing that Joanna can really maintain her place at the network now that Patricia knows.  I can see some quick face saving measure, but I'm interested to see whether they can come up with anything plausible. 

I'd have trouble believing that Joanna can really maintain her place at the network now that Patricia knows.  I can see some quick face saving measure, but I'm interested to see whether they can come up with anything plausible. 

The network not only built a whole narrative around Joanna having cancer, they've also staged this Cancer-thon event with her as the headliner. If it's discovered it was all a lie the network could suffer a huge hit, it would be a major scandal, and I'm sure Pat wants to avoid that at all costs. Narratively I can't see them just firing Joanna because that would mean the end of the story and I'm sure they want to go multiple seasons. 

On 6/13/2022 at 3:27 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

I thought she told Jackie that it came back because she told Jackie the story of the herringbone bracelet. I can't remember if that's what everyone else thought. 

I thought the herringbone bracelet was purchased when she was actually sick, not recently.  I thought telling the story  was a way to meet and become friends with her, and that was before her sickness "came back".  But I could be remembering wrong.

• Love 1
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

I thought the herringbone bracelet was purchased when she was actually sick, not recently.  I thought telling the story  was a way to meet and become friends with her, and that was before her sickness "came back".  But I could be remembering wrong.

I just remember that she told Jackie the story if the bracelet. I don't remember if that's when she blurted out that her cancer had returned. I think they were two separate incidents, but I could be misrembering. 😊

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, txhorns79 said:

I like Jenifer Lewis.  I have no issues with a tough character doing what she needs to do to make sure her business succeeds.  I'm fine with her telling Jackie to nix discussion of her divorce on the air, even if it pisses off Jackie.

Agree. So much of our siding with her character is the actress herself and the performance she's giving. (All other uses of the word "awesome" now have to be retired.)

When Jackie complained about her engineering the call-in from Marty, I thought her response was perfect. "You like those fancy boots you're wearing?"

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1
On 6/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, Maya said:

Hmmm..maybe Patricia reveals she actually has cancer to save the cancer-thon/her network?

That's what I was thinking too! And maybe say that Joanna was taking the fall for her or something since she had cancer as a child? Sounds weird but maybe somehow connect the two? 

• Love 2

Funny how the clock described Jackie's situation perfectly.  Molly always seems to play characters who are a little - out there.  She does an excellent job!

This show has serious problems - amazing premise, horrible characters. With the exception of Joanna and Jackie, all of them are just horrible, horrible people. Like I actually hate them, and I rarely have such intense reaction to TV characters, but they should be killed, specially Mary-Anne, the fakest of them all. After episode 4 it was just a chore to sit through the scenes that did not feature any of the 2 ladies. And no, I couldn't care less about Patricia having sex with random men. If this gets renewed, they need to improve their characters. Hard.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just read the following about Vanessa : age 15, she was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). 

After Bayer was diagnosed with leukemia as a teenager, the Make-A-Wish Foundation granted her wish to send her family on vacation to Hawaii. In gratitude and recognition, Bayer is involved with the foundation. In 2015, she hosted the foundation's Evening of Wishes Dinner to help raise funds for wishes for children with life-threatening illnesses.[21]

In June 2019, she published the children's book How Do You Care for a Very Sick Bear?, which teaches children how to support friends with long-term illnesses.[22]

So I guess the premise of the show is ok with her.

Edited by MsMalin
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, MsMalin said:

So I guess the premise of the show is ok with her.

Yup in this interview she said the show is loosely based on her life because she really did have the illness, and she really did love home shopping networks and watched them a lot.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I found this very entertaining. Yes, the people are unpleasant, but that’s the point. You couldn’t pay me to watch Hallmark with all the sickly sweet characters, so this show is right up my alley. I found everyone amusingly hateful, heh. 

I really don’t understand home shopping channels and how they’ve stayed in business all these years. People actually buy that junk from them? And fall for the exaggerated sales pitches and the warnings that there are only 10 left? As if. The whole concept baffles me.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I have a former boss who bought shit from QVC all. the. time. It baffled me. A lot of it that wasn't specifically name brand/partnered with QVC or HSN (like a big-name skin care or cosmetic line, which used to actually be decent deals) was cheap, mass-produced junk that you could get at Walmart. It's just marketed better—and with a higher per-item markup, I assume.

My mom also went on a TV home shopping kick for a while, but thankfully steered back on course before things got into "Jackie's house" territory.

• LOL 4