Type keyword(s) to search

The Julia Child Challenge - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I quite enjoyed this episode too. I need to remember to watch before I read here, but I wasn’t surprised at who left anyway.

I’ve made mousse but not souffle.  Now I want to try making one. Chocolate or cheese is the question.

One minor nit-pick, and that’s I wish the longer-haired contestants would tie or pin their hair back. This is true for all cooking shows.

• Love 15

Elena's souffle didn't rise as high as it might have if she had not opened the oven while it was cooking.  She should have paid more attention to the sign that Julia put on her oven door that said Do Not Open. 

I was surprised at how many appliances the contestants were unfamiliar with, and did not know how to use.  A food processor?  I've had one of those since they first became popular, and yes, it qualifies as vintage.  It's on the counter along with a Kitchen Aid mixer, and a blender.  I use all of those things when I cook.  I was given an Instant Pot as a gift, but have never used it.

I agree with previous posts that the final scene at the table with all of the contestants is the best part of the episodes. I would love to try the liver mousse recipe that Dustin made.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, laredhead said:

Elena's souffle didn't rise as high as it might have if she had not opened the oven while it was cooking.  She should have paid more attention to the sign that Julia put on her oven door that said Do Not Open. 

I was surprised at how many appliances the contestants were unfamiliar with, and did not know how to use.  A food processor?  I've had one of those since they first became popular, and yes, it qualifies as vintage.  It's on the counter along with a Kitchen Aid mixer, and a blender.  I use all of those things when I cook.  I was given an Instant Pot as a gift, but have never used it.

I agree with previous posts that the final scene at the table with all of the contestants is the best part of the episodes. I would love to try the liver mousse recipe that Dustin made.    

I know when she was opening the door, I was like "don't do it!". 

One of the relic appliances was a standing mixer. Really? Okay it is a bit old but its a mixer. I have an Instant Pot, got caught up in the fad. I used it a few times but I'm not a fan. So many of the recipes aren't very healthy. Plus you still have to chop veggies etc..... I even did frozen pork chops that it is supposed to cook easily and they were raw. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

One of the relic appliances was a standing mixer. Really? Okay it is a bit old but its a mixer.

I thought that was odd as well.  The consternation over the food saver was amusing;  I have used them extensively but I suppose if you'd never seen one you would be confused.

• Love 3

Absolutely loving the show. It's so refreshing to see how kind the judges are, finding good even when a dish failed. I love how they all sit at the table and judges and contestants are so positive about all the dishes. I am so tired of shows where it seems like a participant is left feeling gutted. And I am definitely over the yelling, posturing and name calling, it's so forced and scripted.

I am in no way on the same level as these contestants but it makes me want to try. I think they are all doing great and hope those voted off keep trying. Some day I will try and make a cheese or chocolate souffle. Or, I will locate a French restaurant, order both and eat while watching episodes of this show. I think the second seems more plausible...LOL!

• Love 10

Obviously I'm disappointed that Fabrizio went home. If he had cooked the eggs for his mousse, I think he would have been safe. What I didn't understand is Brit talked about following a recipe from Julia's book. And you could see the book. Were they all allowed cookbooks? If so, why didn't Fabrizio look up whether to cook his eggs? Cliff's reaction to Bill's souffle was epic.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Obviously I'm disappointed that Fabrizio went home. If he had cooked the eggs for his mousse, I think he would have been safe. What I didn't understand is Brit talked about following a recipe from Julia's book. And you could see the book. Were they all allowed cookbooks? If so, why didn't Fabrizio look up whether to cook his eggs? Cliff's reaction to Bill's souffle was epic.

It could be they are allowed to bring one in and some choose not to. Or maybe you can bring one in a certain number of times in the competition? 

• Useful 1

I felt that Elena should have gone home before Fabrizio.  I usually don't enjoy these competitions, because the producers mess around with these type of programs too much.  This one is quite enjoyable.

• Love 7

Did anyone see Britt (rather quietly) trying to point out that there were bones in Bill's fish? I think she was frustrated that the judges weren't finding any and she was. Finally at the end one of the judges got some.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Did anyone see Britt (rather quietly) trying to point out that there were bones in Bill's fish? I think she was frustrated that the judges weren't finding any and she was. Finally at the end one of the judges got some.

Yes, I saw that. Maybe it was the editing, but it didn't seem like they heard her. My mom was really good and cleaning fish. My dad said probably the best ever, but occasionally, you found a bone. 

• Love 3

Bill's idea sounded good but properly filleting a fish and removing the bones is so time consuming.  There was no way he wasn't going to miss some.

Love how the sit around, try each other's dishes and offer wonderful comments.  This is such a breath of fresh air!  I hate the chest-thumping "I KNOW I WILL WIN" contestants on other competitions.  Or the "I must win this for my little orphan wards so they can go to college" schtick.  Enough, already. Just cook.

• Love 21
12 hours ago, dleighg said:

interesting that three of the remaining five had military experience.

This is such a fun show, and so unlike most of Food Network fare.

Perhaps Food Network has realized people want to see food competitions without weird twists, blatant favouritism and angry contestants.  Love this show!

• Love 20

I'm still loving this show too but when I saw Jacques Pepin flash on the screen in a clip from "Julia and Jacques Cooking from Home" I wished that he could be a part of it somehow since he and Julia had such a special relationship and he knows her food so well.  I'm figuring his age and Covid might have something to do with his absence.  Featuring him remotely would be a nice tribute, though.

• Love 9

I watch as many cooking competitions as I can and I have to say that this is the best one I have ever seen.  The respect for the chefs from the judges and fellow competitors is unparalleled on other shows.  I will be truly sad when it's over.  I had watched many Julia Child shows as a child, but never realized how funny she was.  I am promising myself to go to you tube and watch the old shows.  The "vintage" tools they use are just like the ones in my kitchen, with many inherited from my mom and several grandmothers.  The only way I have eaten trout in Germany was the whole fish steamed or poached.  It shocked me at first, but I learned to cover the head as I ate.  

Jaine is my favorite on this show, although I really like all the contestants. I love that so many are military vets.  I will miss Elena.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

This is one of the best competition shows on tv right now. I love the mix of Julia and the contestants.  I like the judges checking on them and giving feedback while they cook.  Also  love  watching the judges at the table talking about Julia and then what they see.  Finally, the table where everyone eats.  How great is that and hearing from the contestants too.

• Love 10
(edited)

One of the components that I think helps to make this a saner competition show is the amateur contestants.  No one has anything to prove, they're not trying to increase their professional standing, and the prize is just for them.  They're not doing this for "my kid who I want to put through college", or "my 80 year-old mother needs surgery", or "my business needs the money", or any of the stressors that a cash prize can bring and can make these shows so manic.  They win a trip to Paris to Le Cordon Bleu, and not even a full scholarship to culinary school.  It's a lovely prize but probably not life changing, per se.  And the host isn't Guy Fieri or some other big mouth who is hyping up the drama, a la Gordon Ramsay ("It's RAW!!!!).  Just nice people, cooking Julia's recipes, bonding with each other, having a good time.  FN would do well to produce more shows like this.    

Edited by Rammchick
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21
11 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

One of the components that I think helps to make this a saner competition show is the amateur contestants.  No one has anything to prove, they're not trying to increase their professional standing, and the prize is just for them.  They're not "doing this for "my kid who I want to put through college", or "my 80 year-old mother needs surgery", or "my business needs the money", or any of the stressors that a cash prize can bring and can make these shows so manic.  They win a trip to Paris to Le Cordon Bleu, and not even a full scholarship to culinary school.  It's a lovely prize but probably not life changing, per se.  And the host isn't Guy Fieri or some other big mouth who is hyping up the drama, a la Gordon Ramsay ("It's RAW!!!!).  Just nice people, cooking Julia's recipes, bonding with each other, having a good time.  FN would do well to produce more shows like this.    

I really wish they do. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, azprimadonna said:

The "vintage" tools they use are just like the ones in my kitchen,

Yep, most of the vintage tools they cooked with are the very things I use.  My food processor and immersion blender are from the 21st century, but that's it.  When Britt didn't even know what an electric carving knife was, I just laughed, because that's what we use every Christmas on the ham.  (It's also great for cutting foam when you're making cushions.)

I'm an episode behind, but I did see the first ten minutes or so of the newest one, and cracked up at Elena's "How could Julia Child be a spy?  She's 6'2" -- you know she's there!"  (I know, I know - Julia did desk work, not undercover work.  It's still a funny joke.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yep, most of the vintage tools they cooked with are the very things I use.  My food processor and immersion blender are from the 21st century, but that's it.  When Britt didn't even know what an electric carving knife was, I just laughed, because that's what we use every Christmas on the ham.  (It's also great for cutting foam when you're making cushions.)

I'm an episode behind, but I did see the first ten minutes or so of the newest one, and cracked up at Elena's "How could Julia Child be a spy?  She's 6'2" -- you know she's there!"  (I know, I know - Julia did desk work, not undercover work.  It's still a funny joke.)

Yes! The electric knife! I have two of them, one of which belonged to my mom. I don't use it very much but she always used it on turkey and ham. 

Elena's comment was pretty funny! 

• Love 2
(edited)
39 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes! The electric knife! I have two of them, one of which belonged to my mom. I don't use it very much but she always used it on turkey and ham. 

Elena's comment was pretty funny! 

I wasn't aware electric knives are a thing of the past, we love ours! I will definitely miss Elena but I can say the same for any of the competitors. They are all so delightful! I hope if they go for a season 2 they don't change the formula, it's clear by all our comments it's working well just as it is.  I don't think I am a good enough cook to emulate any of the dishes perfectly but I definitely want to try, I am taking notes. My husband and I had fun cooking new to us dishes together during the serious Covid lock down, I wish we had this show to copy. We were never horrible cooks but having the extra time allowed us to explore making new to us recipes and trying things from scratch.

I would very much like to try making a dish with one of the sauces used on this episode. Does anyone who has a JC cookbook or has tried her recipes in the past have an idea of a good meal for a first timer? I have to say the idea of a fish dish is beyond my scope. deboning etc. Too much for someone unfamiliar. Chicken would be easier.

Edited by CapeCodLuv
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I was surprised that some of them didn't know of Julia's history with the OSS. It's where she met Paul! 

I just figured any fan of Julia's would know this. 😀

I didn't know too much about it until I watched a documentary on her life. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I didn't know too much about it until I watched a documentary on her life. 

I just assumed that if you're on a show that honors Julia, you're enough of an uber to know the major points in her biography. 🙂

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I just assumed that if you're on a show that honors Julia, you're enough of an uber to know the major points in her biography. 🙂

Oh, I agree. 

Ode to the electric knife--people laugh, but you can cut the crusts off half loaf of bread at once or cut a king-size foam mattress and turn it into a queen.  I also use mine for carving meats of all kinds, especially corned beef.  I still use my three-legged food processor I bought at a yard sale in the 80's. 

Antonia is perfect for this show.

• Love 9
On 4/6/2022 at 10:12 AM, libgirl2 said:
On 4/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, Rammchick said:

And the host isn't Guy Fieri or some other big mouth who is hyping up the drama, a la Gordon Ramsay ("It's RAW!!!!).  Just nice people, cooking Julia's recipes, bonding with each other, having a good time.  FN would do well to produce more shows like this.    

I really wish they do. 

On 4/6/2022 at 10:26 AM, schnauzergirl said:

We should let FN know how much this kind of show is loved and appreciated.  No guarantee that would make a dent, but our voices should be heard.

I am going to send FN a note telling them just that. It's nice to see a show without twists,  a judge saying she wants to taste more booze, stupid contests that have nothing to do without cooking, having to watch judges literally stuff food in their faces, etc. This show is just lovely and every person participating in it is decent and someone I'd want to sit across from while enjoying a meal.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, ShelleySue said:

I am going to send FN a note telling them just that. It's nice to see a show without twists,  a judge saying she wants to taste more booze, stupid contests that have nothing to do without cooking, having to watch judges literally stuff food in their faces, etc. This show is just lovely and every person participating in it is decent and someone I'd want to sit across from while enjoying a meal.

Amen! Where can we comment? Does anyone know of a link?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, jrzy said:

Where can we comment? Does anyone know of a link?

Go here on the Food Network website to submit feedback.  Choose "Show or Episode" as the reason for contacting, but then you have to choose "Show Not Listed" for what show (and then fill in this show's title in the next field) as they haven't added it to the list.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3

That's so funny, I just sent them a note the other day thanking them for this show and asking them to do more like this!

Speaking of the "vintage" appliances, I thought in addition to some outdated stuff, it included older examples of some current appliances.  Like that blender looked just like the one my mom had in the '60s and '70s.  But we all still use blenders, just not from that era!

Speaking of my mom, when she passed I found a smaller sized Cuisinart new in box from the mid '90s in one of her closets (she usually used the bigger one).  It's a workhorse and I still use it today.  That appliance hasn't really changed much since Julia used it, but we all still use them.

Same goes for electric knives.  They feel retro back to the time they first came out but you can still buy them new.  I just bought one within the past 5 years.  The newest "advancement" to those are the cordless models.  Woohoo, technology!  😎 😉

• Love 5

I am OBSESSED with the leather jacket Antonia wore on the Mother Sauce episode. If anyone knows where it is from, please add a post!

Now, I need to study up on the Mother Sauces.  It would be so fun to learn them all

• Love 3

I'm also really enjoying this show - no melodrama, no backbiting.

That said, did anyone else think that Dustin's mother sauce dish looked like a piece of raw steak in a swimming pool of soup?  I love gravy and eat my steak rare, but this was not appealing looking to me.  It must have tasted really good.

• Love 1
On 4/6/2022 at 12:55 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

I was surprised that some of them didn't know of Julia's history with the OSS. It's where she met Paul! 

I just figured any fan of Julia's would know this. 😀

Especially if they knew they were going to be on national television on a show with "Julia" in the title and the premise that they would be cooking dishes based on Julia Child's recipes.

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 3

My biggest disappointment when we went to France was not getting a proper French omelet. Then one day in Paris we were walking down Rue Cler and I saw someone eating one. We stopped at the cafe for lunch and I finally got my perfect French omelet. 

I can make one most of the time but not always. I remember Bobby Flay saying thar was his test for hiring a cook at one of his restaurants.

• Love 1

I remember my first omelette in France. I ordered it right after I arrived because I felt wonky from the trip.  I remember how surprised I was when it oozed. 

I was waiting for the omelette challenge.  It did not disappoint.  I thought Bill's Coquilles St. Jacques with shrimp looked disgusting, though. 

I bet I could eat Jaine's trifle all in one sitting.  That looked delicious.

• Love 3