Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E02: Good and Guilty

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Xander didn't repeat the phrase until Ricard and Shan started that chain. 

I thought he did say it twice before Shan started it.  i thought he said it once, all mixed up, then at the next IC, someone on his own tribe brought up Xander's crazy-sounding statement and he repeated it again, but clearer, but still no one responded.  then finally the third time was with Shan and Naseer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I thought he did say it twice before Shan started it.  i thought he said it once, all mixed up, then at the next IC, someone on his own tribe brought up Xander's crazy-sounding statement and he repeated it again, but clearer, but still no one responded.  then finally the third time was with Shan and Naseer.

He did respond to someone but he only led with the statement once. After that, he waited for other people to initiate it. the second time he said it, I am sure he hoped the person who made the comment had one of the other statements. And then Shan said hers which led into Xanders.

I don't think that they are required to say it at each challenge but that the only way for the idols to gain power and to get your vote back is for all 3 to be said at one challenge. So I don't think that Mike had to say it. 

But if everyone approaches it like Mike is, the things will never be powered and they won't have a vote. I don't think it was a good move by Mike.

41 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

What is the entire sentence?  Is it you must read the phrase period or you must read and the others must read their phrases to activate the idols. I honestly don't know but Daniel's take on it after reading the note was that if he kept Mike from saying the phrase, and triggering the others, then Mike didn't have a vote. Daniel didn't say that based on what Mike repeated but after reading the note.

It says, "At the next immunity challenge, you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players." That's in a paragraph by itself, and then in the following paragraphs, it explains how the rest of the activation works. Here's a somewhat blurry screencap of the note that someone on Reddit posted:

image.thumb.png.bbcfb7b7c538c163b11a50e6b4543753.png

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

But if everyone approaches it like Mike is, the things will never be powered and they won't have a vote. I don't think it was a good move by Mike.

Yeah, I don't think Mike was smart to tell 2 people, when your tribe is only 6, and the second person is someone you are just "trying" to connect with.

• Love 2

Tori is certainly doing everything she can to seem as unlikable as possible, even in her confessionals. When she started with feeling bad when Zach was voted out, I totally thought it was going to in the direction of “because he trusted me and we were initially close.” But oh no, it’s all about “he gets food and I don’t!” 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I don't believe that they had to say the phrase when they found the clue. I think Xander choose to say it hoping that someone else had found theirs.

I went back and searched for the rules of the Season 41 3-way idol and I found this:

The three players have to say a certain assigned phrase at immunity challenges to signal that the advantage has been found.

Also I screenshoted the rules when Xander found it and yead, it says "You must say the phases in front of the other players"

• Love 2
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

It says, "At the next immunity challenge, you must say a secret phrase in front of the other players." That's in a paragraph by itself, and then in the following paragraphs, it explains how the rest of the activation works. Here's a somewhat blurry screencap of the note that someone on Reddit posted:

image.thumb.png.bbcfb7b7c538c163b11a50e6b4543753.png

Hmm, I wonder if it's Wheel of Fortune rules ("Say everything; don't leave anything out.")  Somehow I think if they got pretty close, it would count.

So then Mike had to have said it at the IC and Daniel's plan wasn't a feasible plan?

3 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Tori is certainly doing everything she can to seem as unlikable as possible, even in her confessionals. When she started with feeling bad when Zach was voted out, I totally thought it was going to in the direction of “because he trusted me and we were initially close.” But oh no, it’s all about “he gets food and I don’t!” 

I totally thought she was going to have empathy for Zach and then it was all about her. I literally loled. She is a laugh riot!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

So then Mike had to have said it at the IC and Daniel's plan wasn't a feasible plan?

Mike's parchment said, you must read the secret phrase at the next immunity challenge. I have no idea how they let him not say it. Something is missing here.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, himela said:

Mike's parchment said, you must read the secret phrase at the next immunity challenge. I have no idea how they let him not say it. Something is missing here.

I thought I heard the same thing. I'm assuming it gets figured out next week, perhaps he gets it taken away or something to punish him. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Jtrain said:

I thought I heard the same thing. I'm assuming it gets figured out next week, perhaps he gets it taken away or something to punish him. 

I remember when Xander found the same idol we were saying that production will in some way make him say the phrase at the immunity challenge. If Mike has the choice to not activate the idol, then there is no disadvantage. He will just keep it until he hears the other two phrases and then he has an idol and he hasn't lost his vote which doesn't make sense.

Maybe he did say the phrase at the IC but they didn't show it since they didn't have to go to tribal and we will see it next week as a flashback.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, LadyChatts said:

He found the idol clue, but he has to wait for the other two tribes to find theirs, too.  Only then will the idol be activated, but he loses his vote until the other idols are found or the merge happens (whatever comes first).

Ok so can he refuse the idol? Or if he finds it he must comply?

On 3/17/2022 at 4:54 AM, ProfCrash said:

I thought the Vegan story line was interesting. He had every reason to think there would be rice, sometimes there is even beans. He could make that work with what ever fruit they found around the island. It wouldn't be easy per se but it was workable. I appreciate that he made a hard choice and that his Tribe was supportive. You could see that this wasn't a trend chosen thing but something he believed in. And I think it was good that he could see that the crab tasted good but that he felt guilty. 

I do believe that most people would make a similar choice in a real survival situation but I can see how eating meat for a TV show would be a different type of choice because then it is not "eat crab or die" but "eat crab to be able to stay in a game to win a million dollars" and that feels different.

I'm a vegetarian and I've given this some thought in my pretend winning-Survivor musings (I would never get cast, and could never win, but that doesn't stop me from pretending I might).  It is tough to make that decision.  Survivor is not life-and-death, it's entertainment.  On the other hand, it's what they sign up for.  Not getting rice would leave me with nothing-coconut, btw, is s natural diuretic, and if you eat that and nothing else it will go through you pretty fast-and then what's the point of being cast?  Would I quit?   That seems unfair, too.   In the end, I realize that I have eaten meat in the past, and might again someday, so I would probably eat what we found/caught.  That way I can be somewhat sure that it was humanely and ethically processed.  I don't think I would  partake meat from a reward, which would most likely be factory farmed.  It's a small distinction, but probably the best personal compromise I could make work.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Fretful said:

I'm a vegetarian and I've given this some thought in my pretend winning-Survivor musings (I would never get cast, and could never win, but that doesn't stop me from pretending I might).  It is tough to make that decision.  Survivor is not life-and-death, it's entertainment.  On the other hand, it's what they sign up for.  Not getting rice would leave me with nothing-coconut, btw, is s natural diuretic, and if you eat that and nothing else it will go through you pretty fast-and then what's the point of being cast?  Would I quit?   That seems unfair, too.   In the end, I realize that I have eaten meat in the past, and might again someday, so I would probably eat what we found/caught.  That way I can be somewhat sure that it was humanely and ethically processed.  I don't think I would  partake meat from a reward, which would most likely be factory farmed.  It's a small distinction, but probably the best personal compromise I could make work.

And they have fruit and veggies and starches at the rewards. There would be something to eat. I think in the past they have tossed in tofu for vegetarians in the past. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Ok so can he refuse the idol? Or if he finds it he must comply?

The 3-Way Idols are part of a new subclass of Advantages called "Beware Advantages".  These Advantages always come with some form of downside (losing your vote, having to sneak out of camp during the night while the rest of your tribe might be sleeping, etc.).

But they are clearly marked on the outside of the package with a note that says they are a Beware Advantage and that the player has the option of taking it or not.  If they choose not to take the Advantage, they must put it back where they found it for someone else to find (see the replacement Broccoli Idol from S41).  But if they do choose to keep the Advantage, they are bound by the rules inside the package that they have not yet read.

So yes, Mike could have refused the Idol, but only before he opened it.  Once he decided to open it, it became his and his alone, and he has to deal with the consequences.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Tori said in her bio that when people first meet her they often mistake her for a mean girl.  I'm still not seeing the mistake part.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SVNBob said:

The 3-Way Idols are part of a new subclass of Advantages called "Beware Advantages".  These Advantages always come with some form of downside (losing your vote, having to sneak out of camp during the night while the rest of your tribe might be sleeping, etc.).

But they are clearly marked on the outside of the package with a note that says they are a Beware Advantage and that the player has the option of taking it or not.  If they choose not to take the Advantage, they must put it back where they found it for someone else to find (see the replacement Broccoli Idol from S41).  But if they do choose to keep the Advantage, they are bound by the rules inside the package that they have not yet read.

So yes, Mike could have refused the Idol, but only before he opened it.  Once he decided to open it, it became his and his alone, and he has to deal with the consequences.

ok so what can happen if he wont comply??? and thank you.

6 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

ok so what can happen if he wont comply??? and thank you.

We don't know.  This is the first case of someone not complying with the rules of a Beware, that we're aware of.

All last season, the code-phrases for the 3-Way idols were said at every IC after they were found until they were all activated.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, SVNBob said:

All last season, the code-phrases for the 3-Way idols were said at every IC after they were found until they were all activated.

Also - printed on each of the 3WIs were all three code phrases, so each participant could recognize correct response(s) from the participants from the other tribes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

True.  And looking at the picture upthread, it appears that they are this time too.   Looks like one mentions a potato instead of broccoli.  We just didn't hear Mike or Daniel reading them aloud.

Which makes some sense from an editing perspective.  Since the followup of the idol hunt (and the idol re-hunt) was Daniel convincing Mike not to say his phrase at the IC (despite the rule saying he must do so), and Mike doing just that, it wouldn't pay off for us to know the other phrases in this episode unless either or both of the others were also found before that same IC.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, SVNBob said:

True.  And looking at the picture upthread, it appears that they are this time too.   Looks like one mentions a potato instead of broccoli.  We just didn't hear Mike or Daniel reading them aloud.

Which makes some sense from an editing perspective.  Since the followup of the idol hunt (and the idol re-hunt) was Daniel convincing Mike not to say his phrase at the IC (despite the rule saying he must do so), and Mike doing just that, it wouldn't pay off for us to know the other phrases in this episode unless either or both of the others were also found before that same IC.

Ao confused- why wold daniel ask him not to activate it?

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

Because Daniel doesn’t want him to have a working idol.  

It's more like Daniel doesn't want anyone to have a working idol...unless it's a normal HII and he's the one that has it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Daniel also benefits from Mike not having a vote. That is one less person he has to worry about voting against him. 

I started watching this show during season 2, skipped a few seasons and am getting super bored with it. I dont like all the idols because there were a few seasons that people found idols that felt like they were planted to ensure their "pick" won. its so annoying to feel like the outcome is rigged in some ways. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

Ao confused- why wold daniel ask him not to activate it?

Because until Mike activates his idol, Mike is (a) without a vote at TC and (b) totally dependent upon his allies to continue in the game - and that’s just the way Daniel likes it.

• Love 1

1. Both can (but not necessarily) involve spur-of-the-moment decisions.

2. Both involve taking a chance you probably shouldn’t have taken.

3. Both carry a high probability of screwing up your life, both in the immediate future and WAY on down the road.

😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 1