Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: Messy Situation, Miscommunication and Academic Probation

Pallas
  • Start Topic

"It's amazing more women don't murder their husbands." HA. 

But Dan's whole thing about going to tell your wife something that only she would think is funny or that only the two of you would remember, only to remember that she's not there...oh. That got me. I really liked that talk between him and Chuck, and I totally understand Dan's reason for being hesitant to go over to see him at first, too. That makes sense. I am glad that he did go, though, of course. and I'm especially glad that they didn't kill off Anne-Marie. I hope she'll be okay and we can see her pop up again at some point. The ending with Chuck spending time with the family was nice. 

Good on Becky for ending things with the professor. Wise decision, given the circumstances. I liked Darlene's snarky comment at one point about how we really need to tell the stories of white, middle-aged men who were professors, or words to that effect :p.

Also appreciated that the beginning of the episode gave a nod to everyone still kinda working through the recent shooting that happened. 

• Love 19

Glad Becky threw herself under the bus. It was her fault they got caught; she should have been more careful texting.

I liked Dan and Chuck's conversation.

"Secret recipes?" "...the secret is your mom didn't know how to cook."

I like James Pickens Jr. so much better as Chuck than as Dr. Webber.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, ams1001 said:

Glad Becky threw herself under the bus. It was her fault they got caught; she should have been more careful texting.

Seriously, why would you send a text like that in that kind of setting?

"Secret recipes?" "...the secret is your mom didn't know how to cook."

I liked the running jokes about secret recipes in general this episode, like with Dan's explanation about the secret to baked spaghetti. "First you prepare the spaghetti...and then you bake it." Harris' response to that was good, too. "Next we'll learn the secret behind boiled potatoes." 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

But Dan's whole thing about going to tell your wife something that only she would think is funny or that only the two of you would remember, only to remember that she's not there...oh. That got me.

That's one of the hardest part of losing someone. There are things only two people can understand.

I was afraid they were going to get a phone call from the hospital at the end scene (because this is The Connors). Glad it didn't happen. 

Did Harris move back home? I thought she moved in with her boyfriend but she's always at the Conner house.

• Love 9

The scenes between Dan and Chuck are always great.  This show fucked with the history of their relationship in Chuck's previous episode, where he said he wanted out of their partnership to retire (and had bought a boat, which got mentioned here), but now they've ignored that retcon and gone back to them being best friends, so I'll go with it.

I like that Dan initially respected Chuck's stated wish to be alone, since that called back to when Chuck was among those on Dan's case about isolating himself and not wanting to talk to anyone after Roseanne's death and was also about Dan fearing Chuck was going to experience the same devastating loss he had and he wasn't equipped to deal with that situation again even as a friend.  And then that, once he realized Chuck Jr. couldn't be around, he left behind the whole "call me if you need me" thing and showed up to cook and clean.

"She'd kick both our asses if she saw how you were living" was great, but them acknowledging how much their wives did despite working their own jobs was fantastic.  "It's amazing more women don't murder their husbands," The best was talking about the heartache/fear of the person who'd be the only other person to remember something or to laugh at something not being there for you to go tell it to.

As stupid as this relationship has always been, Becky trying to help Glenn - giving him an assignment, enlisting Ben to brainstorm about his writing - was sweet.  Once she realized he was going to sink like a stone without his job and she couldn't tie herself to someone in that situation, it's good she recognized the need to end the relationship (better late than never, I suppose).  (And "it's time their stories were told" about middle-aged white guys with advanced degrees was fun.)  But lying to save him by painting herself as some psycho straight out of any number of horrible sexist stories and putting academic probation on her record (and how the hell is that academic probation, when it has nothing to do with her academic performance?), I am not down for.  Hers was the particular individual act of stupidity that got them caught, but they both entered this relationship with eyes wide open and he was the one in the position of power; he chose to get involved with a student, and should suffer the consequences. 

No one wanting to answer the door in the opening segment made me laugh, since it was a recurring theme in the original series that everyone would ignore the door, knowing Roseanne would get ticked off and answer it.

The tag bugged me a little just on general lazy humor principle, since Roseanne knew how to cook, she simply cooked very basic things that could be made in bulk on the cheap, and preferably in advance so she could just heat it up when she got home from work.  Dan's idea of cooking being to grab a big ol' can of corn every ten years, rather than knowing even Roseanne's simple recipes, should have been the butt of the joke, like with the earlier baked spaghetti and boiled potatoes scene with Harris.

But, overall, I was happy to have the ongoing impact of Roseanne's death finally mentioned again.  Her absence can't be a specter hanging over this thing, but it needs to be acknowledged when a situation naturally lends itself to that.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The first conflict in the opening scene wasn’t very funny for anyone except the cast and crew. 

I suspect that's true of a lot of scenes anymore...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Didn’t watch episode simply read the comments and nice to the consequences Becky got aren’t realistic.

Like baset said and I know and I’m pretty sure some of us know academic probation is for low gpa and failing two or three more classes not screwing or having a relationship with your professor.

That would be more along the lines of being kicked out/expulsion which would have screwed Becky over more than just a slap on the wrist academic probation. I also hate that some are thinking of her as great for getting his job or for the writers brainstorming like no they did their stupid relationship and now let each of them face the consequences for their idiotic actions  let the professor loses his job and let Becky let reality smack her in face

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 4

What did Chuck say at the end of the episode about what Roseanne cooked?  I rewound twice and still couldn’t hear it.  I know it was something “on white bread”.  TIA!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, jalady said:

What did Chuck say at the end of the episode about what Roseanne cooked?  I rewound twice and still couldn’t hear it.  I know it was something “on white bread”.  TIA!

According to a comment I saw on the show's facebook page, it was wieners on white bread.

• Love 5

Chuck's house is what known in some communities as a depression nest. I'm kind of sitting in the middle of mine right now. 

I did giggle at the exchange between Chuck and Dan where Dan said "Why didn't you call me?" and Chuck said "Because you aren't a doctor." I chose to see that as a nod to Grey's Anatomy.

So where was Louise? Dan spent so much of this episode talking about Roseanne that I almost forgot that he's newly-married.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Another episode where I bailed in the middle because I was so annoyed.  I was already fed up with the professor/student relationship plot, but this went too far.  The professor turns out to be a complete idiot.  He didn't understand how writing a book worked?  How was he even allowed to teach in the first place? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Did Harris move back home? I thought she moved in with her boyfriend but she's always at the Conner house.

Last we knew she was living in the camper outside.

We have never seen Anne-Marie since the show was rebooted. Adilah Barnes is still active on TV so I'm not sure why, but then we don't see much of Chuck either and now that Roseanne is gone it wouldn't make a lot of sense to see her except maybe here.

The parts of this episode with Chuck were really good; the parts with Becky and the professor were really bad. Their secret relationship was stupid from the start so I'm glad it's over.

• Love 14

I found it interesting when Becky told Darlene that she was seeing things in Glenn that she didn't like and I'm thinking "Have you met YOUR family? Y'all are nothing but a bunch of walking red flags."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4

I should have qualified my earlier response.  I really liked the Chuck and Dan parts of the show.  I’m still glad the episode didn’t focus on Darlene.  The Professor’s transformation into a moron I could have done without. I still don’t know why he and Becky couldn’t wait, but him looking shellshocked half the episode was preposterous.  Hopefully, Becky just focuses on herself and school (not the teachers) for a while. I really wish the show would have Dan as the central character not Darlene.  I think the scenes with him and Chuck held the episode together.  Becky made the best of the stupid writing of her storyline. The main issue is half the episode was decent writing (Dan/Chuck) and half was moronic (Professor Moron).They need to get better writers.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, marceline said:

I did giggle at the exchange between Chuck and Dan where Dan said "Why didn't you call me?" and Chuck said "Because you aren't a doctor." I chose to see that as a nod to Grey's Anatomy.

Same.  

1 hour ago, marceline said:

I found it interesting when Becky told Darlene that she was seeing things in Glenn that she didn't like and I'm thinking "Have you met YOUR family? Y'all are nothing but a bunch of walking red flags."

It just occurred to me that Professor was named Glenn.  Nod to Glenn Quinn, maybe, or just me trying to find any sort of meaning in this show?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Same.  

It just occurred to me that Professor was named Glenn.  Nod to Glenn Quinn, maybe, or just me trying to find any sort of meaning in this show?

If it is a nod to beloved Glenn Quinn, which I doubt or maybe the writers are just really cynical a-holes, count me as one who doesn’t like that nod to Glenn.

The nod to Glenn/mark established since the revival  is Mark played by Ames. And the show having Glenn/Mark’s picture on the mantle which in the revival you can always see it up and front but now in the conners it usually  hidden behind other photos now. 

mot to mention eggs over not easy episode was dedicated to him and the over all revival was in dedication to him (Lecy said so), plus there was going to be a clip of Glenn/Mark scenes from the original in a tribute to him at the end of eggs over not easy. That’s how you do a dedication/tribute.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Lovecat said:

I wondered about that, too!

• Love 3

Even if it was just for a few seconds, it was nice seeing DJ in the episode. I did lol when they were trying to remember Mary’s age. There are times where I can barely remember how old my nieces and nephew are, let alone my own age (I always know the year, but have to do the math in my head when I have a brain lapse). 

I agree with the others that the episode was somewhat better because it wasn’t so Darlene centric. I hope we’ve seen the last of the professor. I’m also glad that they didn’t kill off Ann Marie. When they mentioned Chuck Jr living in Nebraska, part of me wondered if Chuck Sr would move to be with his son and Darlene would buy his house. 

I love seeing the Lunch Box, but it bugs me that they serve stew. Why couldn’t it be just a regular sports bar with sports bar food (sandwiches, chicken wings, burgers and fries, etc). Stew just seems so stupid. 

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I love seeing the Lunch Box, but it bugs me that they serve stew. Why couldn’t it be just a regular sports bar with sports bar food (sandwiches, chicken wings, burgers and fries, etc). Stew just seems so stupid. 

On the other hand, it's been rainy all day and a nice bowl of beef stew sounds good right now. (Preferably my mom's, though.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Darlene is now looking at converted garages? She had enough saved up for the down payment for a nice house before, so why the change? And have they dropped the quasi story line of Becky moving in with her?

Bye Glenn, we hardly knew yee. And what we did know... it wasn't the best. I do appreciate that Becky caught a red flag early and pulled the pin, even though she had to sacrifice herself to get Glenn his job back.

Loved seeing Chuck again, although I wish it was better circumstances. I hope Anne-Marie will be OK.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

. I do appreciate that Becky caught a red flag early and pulled the pin, even though she had to sacrifice herself to get Glenn his job back.

Becky is not  mother Teresa or a saint for that. They made their bed and both of them should have laid in it. He shouldn’t have gotten his job back they both knew the consequences. 
She didn’t sacrifice anything. Once again academic probation is for grades,GPA not relationships with professors. 

• Love 5
Just now, Rocknrollzombie said:

Becky is not  mother Teresa or a saint for that. They made their bed and both of them should have laid in it. He shouldn’t have gotten his job back they both knew the consequences. 
She didn’t sacrifice anything. Once again academic probation is for grades,GPA not relationships with professors. 

I meant that Becky was the only one who actually suffered any kind of consequence of both of their actions. She pretended she made up the relationship so that Glenn could safely and freely get his job back. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Which was foolish.  They both made the decision to date while she was still in his class, knowing full well the consequences if caught included him losing his job.  And although Becky is not a young student just out of high school, she is the student and he is the teacher; the power differential is in his favor.  So for her to be the only one to suffer any consequences is gross, and especially for her to paint herself as a horrid stereotype to make him look innocent; her reputation would take enough of a hit from the truth, but this lie makes her look even worse.  Why should she have saved him from himself?  He lost his job because he deserved to lose his job.  If he can't function without it, that's on the man-child, not her, to fix.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

We have never seen Anne-Marie since the show was rebooted. Adilah Barnes is still active on TV so I'm not sure why, but then we don't see much of Chuck either and now that Roseanne is gone it wouldn't make a lot of sense to see her except maybe here.

Didn't she show up at least once in season 10 of Roseanne, maybe even season 1 of The Conners (like Crystal, not that the show seems to remember that)?

4 hours ago, Lovecat said:

You'd think they'd least hire a hotter guy if that were the case. (Low blow?)

Yeah, I take back whatever interest I had in Becky and Glenn. Good for her for ending things, even if it went a bit further than it should. I DID find Beverly Rose adopting Glenn's defeatist attitude funny, though.

Other than that, Dan & Chuck were the best part of the show, by far. 

15 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The first conflict in the opening scene wasn’t very funny for anyone except the cast and crew. 

Whatever issues there may be with the quality of the show, it's clear the cast absolutely adores each other (and the same thing was clearly true of the original series, too--the quality went down, but the cast's tight-knit bond remained.)

• Love 5

Forgot to mention this:

One of my favorite moments last night was when Mary asked everyone how old she was, and Beverly Rose randomly shouted, "FORTY-SEVEN!" :D

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, UYI said:

Didn't she show up at least once in season 10 of Roseanne, maybe even season 1 of The Conners

Just once in season 10 of Roseanne (Chuck was in one more), and not yet on this show (Chuck has been in eight).

1 hour ago, UYI said:

I DID find Beverly Rose adopting Glenn's defeatist attitude funny, though.

I forgot to mention that.  That was pretty funny; well delivered by the young actor.  Like you, I also laughed at her guess of 47 for Mary's age.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I also laughed at her guess of 47 for Mary's age.

I felt bad for Mary, though. She spends how much time in that house and only her dad knows how old she is?

When DJ mentioned them taking care of her while he was out of town, I was hoping we'd get a hint as to where her mother is these days... is her military retirement just not in effect yet? It's been a while since she made that decision...

• Love 5
13 hours ago, marceline said:

So where was Louise? Dan spent so much of this episode talking about Roseanne that I almost forgot that he's newly-married.

Louise was taking Mark on a college tour. (I am just trying to help the writers out here.)

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

She spends how much time in that house and only her dad knows how old she is?

It's consistent - Dan didn't know what grade D.J. was in, and there were fewer people to keep track of back then.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I felt bad for Mary, though. She spends how much time in that house and only her dad knows how old she is?

When DJ mentioned them taking care of her while he was out of town, I was hoping we'd get a hint as to where her mother is these days... is her military retirement just not in effect yet? It's been a while since she made that decision...

My guess is that she decided that she was going to retire as soon as her enlistment was up. She probably had to fulfill the rest of her duties before she was discharged. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Wow, that professor boyfriend was awful. The moment he gets his job back, after Becky sacrifices herself and is the only one to pay the price, he wants to go back to secret dating.  How stupid can a person be?  As if the punishment wouldn't be worse if they were caught again (and they would be).  Luckily, Becky saw he was not a catch. 

I'll bet through contrivances, she'll still be in his class for the rest of the semester, and he'll retaliate by giving her a subpar grade.

And I guess Mary doesn't get any lines unless Mark is absent that week?  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

That scene bugged me more that it should.  I actually re-winded it to make sure that it really didn't make sense and that it didn't just seem that way because I misunderstood something.  It didn't make sense.  Dan makes everyone move because Harris bumped Jackie and some veggies landed in Dan's plate, but Harris and Jackie are both right-handed.  Dan was the only one who is left-handed (Not sure about Darlene).  Then once they move, no one moves back but everything is fine - no more bumping.  Gah!  Okay, I will try to let this go...

10 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Another episode where I bailed in the middle because I was so annoyed.  I was already fed up with the professor/student relationship plot, but this went too far.  The professor turns out to be a complete idiot.  He didn't understand how writing a book worked?  How was he even allowed to teach in the first place? 

It is annoying how the writers will spontaneously give a character a completely different personality.  

2 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

She was taking Mark on a college tour. (I am just trying to help the writers here.)

Maybe DJ's wife joined them?  Perhaps they are going to hang out with Jackie's son while they are wherever they are.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, marceline said:

I don't know where she was, but I seriously thought she'd be in these episodes(at least this one and few others) because she is back fully now, but with Katey's accident I guess her being in more than half of the episodes is now up the air sadly as the writers mentioned that piece of information before the accident happened.

4 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Louise was taking Mark on a college tour. (I am just trying to help the writers out here.)

LOL this is a funny explanation and I could see that! 

• Love 2

I'm surprised Becky wasn't angry after her professor boyfriend wanted to keep secret dating.  "Listen, asshole: you're lucky you have a job, and I'm lucky my whole academic future wasn't derailed.  And you want to go back to the same behavior that got us in trouble?  After you spent the last week reminding me why I was happier single?  Hell no - get lost."

I feel like Becky in the original series would have been allowed to have that reaction.   

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Brn2bwild said:

I'm surprised Becky wasn't angry after her professor boyfriend wanted to keep secret dating.  "Listen, asshole: you're lucky you have a job, and I'm lucky my whole academic future wasn't derailed.  And you want to go back to the same behavior that got us in trouble?  After you spent the last week reminding me why I was happier single?  Hell no - get lost."

I didn't think it was cute that he didn't get that Becky was breaking up with him, either. (Neither was her "I think you do...."; just tell him it's over.)

• Love 5
On 3/17/2022 at 12:45 AM, Bastet said:

But, overall, I was happy to have the ongoing impact of Roseanne's death finally mentioned again.  Her absence can't be a specter hanging over this thing, but it needs to be acknowledged when a situation naturally lends itself to that.

Agreed, though it can be jarring to hear Dan call her Rose every time he speaks of her. Was there something written in the split when Roseanne was removed from the show that they'd not speak her full name? 

Dan never called her Rose, it was Roseanne or Rosey. They even specifically touched on that when Dan got the tattoo that hurt too much to finish, he only got up to Rose before bailing and she was all "who's that for?"

But Dan's whole thing about going to tell your wife something that only she would think is funny or that only the two of you would remember, only to remember that she's not there...oh. That got me. I really liked that talk between him and Chuck, and I totally understand Dan's reason for being hesitant to go over to see him at first, too. That makes sense. I am glad that he did go, though, of course. and I'm especially glad that they didn't kill off Anne-Marie. I hope she'll be okay and we can see her pop up again at some point. The ending with Chuck spending time with the family was nice. 

Yeah, it was especially resonant for Dan to say that, the relationship between Dan and Roseanne always seemed genuinely close. They shared a sense of humor and had such a long history. That's what also makes it so jarring how the show ignores that history, but I understand why it has to be so under the circumstances. 

• Love 8

The grandkids called Roseanne "Grandma Rose" in season ten, so somewhere between the old days and the revival, they decided Rose was her nickname instead of Rosey.  Despite, as you said, that whole specific thing about how Rose is not her name ("It's Mrs. Kennedy's name") when he gave up halfway through the tattoo.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Agreed, though it can be jarring to hear Dan call her Rose every time he speaks of her. Was there something written in the split when Roseanne was removed from the show that they'd not speak her full name? 

Dan never called her Rose, it was Roseanne or Rosey. They even specifically touched on that when Dan got the tattoo that hurt too much to finish, he only got up to Rose before bailing and she was all "who's that for?"

Yeah, it was especially resonant for Dan to say that, the relationship between Dan and Roseanne always seemed genuinely close. They shared a sense of humor and had such a long history. That's what also makes it so jarring how the show ignores that history, but I understand why it has to be so under the circumstances. 

Holy shit! I don’t remember this but He couldn’t stand the pain of a simple tattoo of a few letters & had to bail? What a wimp😆

On 3/17/2022 at 6:41 PM, UYI said:

Forgot to mention this:

One of my favorite moments last night was when Mary asked everyone how old she was, and Beverly Rose randomly shouted, "FORTY-SEVEN!" :D

I like that little actress. She's really good. Casting kids always seems to be a gamble but she's a win.

• Love 9
On 3/17/2022 at 5:48 PM, Bastet said:

Which was foolish.  They both made the decision to date while she was still in his class, knowing full well the consequences if caught included him losing his job.  And although Becky is not a young student just out of high school, she is the student and he is the teacher; the power differential is in his favor.  So for her to be the only one to suffer any consequences is gross, and especially for her to paint herself as a horrid stereotype to make him look innocent; her reputation would take enough of a hit from the truth, but this lie makes her look even worse.  Why should she have saved him from himself?  He lost his job because he deserved to lose his job.  If he can't function without it, that's on the man-child, not her, to fix.

She wants him out of her life and off her shoulders. I assume she has to drop his class, so now she's wasted time and money, also. And since the TA knows about this, the chances are much of the faculty does as well as some of the students  I think a lot of the teachers would be afraid to have her in their classes because she is a sexual stalker. If a male student said supposedly unsolicited stuff like that to a female professor, he'd be expelled, and Becky should be too.

In addition, the other students who know her will think she's crazy. The rest of her school years will be miserable.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She wants him out of her life and off her shoulders. I assume she has to drop his class, so now she's wasted time and money, also. And since the TA knows about this, the chances are much of the faculty does as well as some of the students  I think a lot of the teachers would be afraid to have her in their classes because she is a sexual stalker. If a male student said supposedly unsolicited stuff like that to a female professor, he'd be expelled, and Becky should be too.

In addition, the other students who know her will think she's crazy. The rest of her school years will be miserable.

I think she's at community college, half the people going tyhere are working people just trying to take classes, not participate in some kind of a clique-y high school vibe. And expulsion seems a bridge too far for the "offense," even if they believe that she was the sole instigator, it's not she was camped out in his bushes or something. A warning or probation seems sufficient in this case.

The grandkids called Roseanne "Grandma Rose" in season ten, so somewhere between the old days and the revival, they decided Rose was her nickname instead of Rosey.  Despite, as you said, that whole specific thing about how Rose is not her name ("It's Mrs. Kennedy's name") when he gave up halfway through the tattoo.

I can totally hear this in Roseanne's voice, funny little throwaway lines like this were what the show did so well. Damn, I loved the original show.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

And expulsion seems a bridge too far for the "offense," even if they believe that she was the sole instigator, it's not she was camped out in his bushes or something. A warning or probation seems sufficient in this case.

As a current community college student, a relationship between a teacher/professor and student is unethical. If the relationship started effecting say Becky’s grades as being better than other peers someone will catch on to the favoritism and being to see signs between both Becky and Davis. 

becky is lucky she got academic probation in real life if real life consequences would have been applied expulsion for the college.

• Love 1