Type keyword(s) to search

Tokyo Vice - General Discussion

aghst
  • Start Topic

The first three episodes of “Tokyo Vice” will become available to stream on HBO Max on April 7. Two episodes will premiere every subsequent Thursday through the season finale on April 28.

Edited by AnimeMania

The trailer hooked me from the start, especially with Ken Watanabe on-board. I've been fascinated with Japanese culture and society for a long time now thanks to the influence of anime and visual novels, and having seen a good amount of Japanese police drama, I'm glad that we get a big budget American show like this (on HBO no less) that delves into the law and order of Japan, the justice system and all that good stuff. It really helps that this was based on a real reporter's account of his time working the crime beat, so we'll know that most of what we'll see is rooted in real life Japan (akin to The Wire, I hope).

Really hyped for this.

• Love 1

Tokyo Vice      April 7, 2022          HBO Max  

Episode 1-3     Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: The Test 
Hired as Meicho Shimbun’s first American crime reporter, Jake Adelstein is quickly tasked with covering two cases that initially appear unrelated, but soon stakes his career – and life – on connecting the dots.
ansel-elgort_0.jpg?itok=78g8Es3f
rachel-keller.jpg?itok=8qWiVV21
sho-kasamatsu.jpg?itok=KFsgJK9n

S01.E02: Kishi Kaisei

As crime boss Tozawa dangerously toes the line between territories, the rival Chihara-Kai scramble to collect dues. Samantha protects another hostess, while Jake witnesses a confrontation that changes everything.
rinko-kikuchi_0.jpg?itok=h4uIA1B7
ken-watanabe.jpg?itok=cFBzwuoW

S01.E03: Read the Air

Jake’s persistence pays off when he receives an exclusive from Detective Katagiri – but catches the less ideal eye of someone else in the process. Meanwhile, Samantha hits it off with a new customer, as Sato chooses between words and fists.
ken-watanabe_0.jpg?itok=ql7mzWeU
tanida-ayumi.jpg?itok=rPZSr_2irachel-keller_0.jpg?itok=X5DR8FQZ

Tokyo Vice      April 14, 2022          HBO Max  

Episode 4-5     Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E04: I Want It That Way

As Samantha makes strides toward the future, her past catches up. With help from Emi, Tin-Tin, and Trendy, Jake has a breakthrough in connecting the cases - and comes face-to-face with the head of Chihari-Kai, who requires a favor.
ansel-elgort-rinko-kikuchi.jpg?itok=yGoA
rachel-keller-sho-kasamatsu.jpg?itok=DEX
ella-rumpf.jpg?itok=aV2i0iXR

S01.E05: Everybody Pays

When Jake helps reveal the mole in Chihara-Kai, he must weigh the risks of accepting a favor in return from Ishida. Samantha attempts to take care of her Matsuo problem. Sato’s recruitment ends with a devastating lesson in loyalty.
rachel-keller_1.jpg?itok=V1KAVe79
rachel-keller-ansel-elgort.jpg?itok=iZ0q
rachel-keller_0.jpg?itok=2yC6dWF5
hideaki-to-ansel-elgort.jpg?itok=QxBOxCR

Tokyo Vice      April 21, 2022          HBO Max  

Episode 6-7     Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E06: The Information Business

An impromptu Yakuza Peace Summit finds Tozawa at the mercy of his own actions. Samantha begins to settle her debts with Matsuo. A determined Jake chases down a tip from Ishida.
rachel-keller_2.jpg?itok=cNDSOE7Drinko-kikuchi_0.jpg?itok=d2HBQ4Gz
ella-rumpf_0.jpg?itok=Gr6E1tL7

S01.E07: Sometimes They Disappear

Jake struggles to regain his footing after the botched raid, while Samantha grows increasingly desperate to find Polina. Sato feels the pressure of his elevated standing in Chihari-Kai.
ella-rumpf_1.jpg?itok=fqJDHjSA
sho-kasamatsu-rachel-keller_0.jpg?itok=w
rinko-kikuchi_1.jpg?itok=jvLyqMEp

Tokyo Vice      April 28, 2022          HBO Max

S01.E08: Yoshino   

Season Finale

While Samantha risks it all for Polina’s safe return, Sato is forced to mix business with pleasure. As Katagiri devises a plan to finally take down Tozawa, Jake is confronted by the crime boss’s men.

ken-watanabe_3.jpg?itok=BNpeAb1P

rachel-keller_4.jpg?itok=39PApr7z

• Love 1

I've only seen episode 1, but it tracked closely to the beginning of the book.  I thought it highlighted many of the issues that an American might have attempting to assimilate into Japanese society and culture, especially in term of working in a corporate environment. I wasn't convinced that Ansel Elgort was the right person for the role of Jake, but he's doing a credible job so far. Interesting that it isn't "murder" until the police say so, not just as a matter of common sense. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Anybody watch this show? 

I've watched the first few episodes. I also read the book. The first episode stuck pretty closely to the book's opening. After that, I think they have consolidated some of the incidents and characters to make each episode more interesting. 

23 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Anybody watch this show? 

Yes.  I inhaled it.  Turned around and rewatched it.

Shô Kasamatsu is outstanding as Sato.

I hope they get season 2 greenlit.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, UnknownK said:

Anybody watch this show? 

So many shows to watch right now and many of them came out just in the last couple of months.

‘Tokyo Vice’ Season 2 Adds Soji Arai

Tokyo Vice Season 2  is currently in production in Tokyo.

Soji Arai will play Shingo, the lover and former colleague of Jake’s supervisor, Emi (Rinko Kikuchi) from the Meicho. Shingo is a single parent with a young son, who is now an editor at a prestigious Tokyo weekly. An excellent journalist, he and Emi share a passion for their work. But as the season rolls on, their work and family lives come into conflict and Shingo and Emi are forced to make hard choices about what they value most in their lives.

Season 2 is coming in February so I watched season 1.

enjoyed it but almost all the characters repeatedly make stupid choices, especially Samantha.

Polina grifted men into buying expensive drinks so she herself is grifted into buying some Japanese boy toy, the same guy from Tears of God, thousands in drinks, then sold into sexual slavery because of her debts?

I can buy that some Americans and Europeans get so into Japanese culture like manga so they go to one of the most expensive cities in the world.

But they get deeply enmeshed in the sleazy Japanese underworld instead of collecting Pokemon cards or whatever?

in any event, it worked out for the real life Jake, since he’s sold books and now this series about this whole Yakuza culture.

Not sure why it would appeal to Samatha and Polina though, other than they had no other skills so they used their looks to make money at those bars.

i didn’t really notice or miss Mann’s influence after the first episode.  But they never went back to the sting operation.

Tokyo Vice Season 2     February 8, 2024       Max 

Loosely inspired by American journalist Jake Adelstein’s first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat, Season 2 of the series, filmed on location in Tokyo, takes us deeper into the city’s criminal underworld, as Adelstein (Ansel Elgort) comes to realize that his life, and the lives of those close to him, are in terrible danger.

Not a lot of comments. Too bad, I like this show overall and have seen all the aired eps.

Don’t understand the point of Samantha nor her arc. She wanders in and out of the story, often making questionable decisions. Every time she comes on screen it breaks the ongoing tension.

Clearly Togazawa has ties at the top of US intelligence and perhaps others.

I also am watching Warrior, and both shows constantly remind me that a small number of violent men with weapons can hold a society hostage. 

• Like 1