Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: Hot and Fast

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Cruz forms a bond with a young immigrant boy he meets while fighting an apartment fire. Squad makes plans to prank the newest member of their team. Hawkins and Violet struggle to keep their relationship a secret.

Airdate: 03/16/2022

So I guess the guy (Rehnquist?) probably said something to the powers that be but Violet and Hawkins will think Gallo. 

I hope that the situation with Javi being at Chloe and Joe’s place works out. It was my favorite storyline, besides the brief camaraderie between Stella and Seager. Stella showed more emotion and happiness with Seager than Kelly most times. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

So I guess the guy (Rehnquist?) probably said something to the powers that be but Violet and Hawkins will think Gallo.

Does anyone care about this "romance plot" I don't.

The supervisor dating/screwing/marrying a subordinate plot has been so overplayed on almost all drama shows. Let it go writers, no one cares.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

I hope that the situation with Javi being at Chloe and Joe’s place works out.

I hope so, too.  I was pretty surprised they are having him share a room with their baby.

• Love 4

I really don't know much about fire fighting but is it possible for someone as small as Stella to actually be able to physically perform. It seems like a significant part of fire fighting involves physical exertion versus a police officer where sheer physical capability is really not necessary to be effective since much of policing involves social interaction.

I have no doubt that there are women who are physically capable of fire fighting just as there are many men who aren't physically capable.

However it just seems unlikely that the typical very slim female actress is a realistic casting choice. Genuine question as I fully support women working in non-traditionally gendered job but just wonder if being a certain "size" is a bona fide occupational qualification for being a fire fighter.

• Love 1

I knew Javi was going to wind up living with Joe as soon as we were told his circumstances. Cute kid though.

I'm not sure I understood how the fire started. Ping pong balls are flammable? If they are that volatile why the hell does anyone play ping pong with them? 

I really don't know much about fire fighting but is it possible for someone as small as Stella to actually be able to physically perform. 

I knew a female firefighter roughly the same size as Stella. They usually used her for very specific things, like going onto the roof after the fire was out because she was lighter than the men. She was lucky because she was stationed at a house where the guys liked her. But you are correct in thinking there are some things she simply wouldn't be able to do.

I don't know about Chicago (and I don't know that this show represents the CFD all that well) but in my city if you drive the truck, that's all you do: you drive. You drive to the fire and you drive back. You don't get out of the truck and actually fight the fire. Also? Drivers make more than the fire fighters do. So a female fire fighter could potentially be appointed as driver, although it's considered a promotion so you'd have to start out as a fire fighter.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, preeya said:

Does anyone care about this "romance plot" I don't.

The supervisor dating/screwing/marrying a subordinate plot has been so overplayed on almost all drama shows. Let it go writers, no one cares.

And now the new guy Mason is taking a liking to Seager. Good grief! The 51 romance carousel keeps spinning! 

Now CFD can't staff displaced OFI and Seager has to work from her car. This show makes CFD look so inept just to squeeze in Seager for our viewing displeasure.

When we first saw a person hanging form the window, it was adult stuntman. Then it cut to little Javi hanging there. I was like WTF. Should Cruz have sustained some injuries catching Javi? He is lucky a player from the Chicago Bears didn't fall.

Surprised the lady didn't catch grief for leaving the boys alone in the apartment. Also, the indoor latch was on (that Gallo had to kick the door down), how was she going to get back in? 

I am not sure who had more joy with their new addition: Cruz with Javi or Stella with Mason.

One of the employees thought the cucumber water was the cause of the problem. Shouldn't the nitrogen have affected everyone else in the vicinity? Massive lawsuit is coming!

I can see this being a recycled storyline of Cruz and Chole losing Javi to a relative like Casey and Dawson lost the boy they wanted to adopt to his father.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

I hope that the situation with Javi being at Chloe and Joe’s place works out.

As long as they keep him away from ping pong balls...

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ping pong balls are flammable?

Absolutely.  Not explosive, but they will flare up quite high  with the addition of  a little flame.  When I worked for the state wildland fire department here in California, the helicopters had a small machine that they could install to the door of the copter.  It had a quantity of a very common chemical (easily obtained so I don't want to give any ideas), and a hopper of ping pong balls.  The balls were rolled through an injection apparatus, the chemical was punched into the balls, and they were ejected from the helicopter, all to start backfires along a control line to burn out the fuel ahead of the main fire. After a short interval, the chemical and the material in the ball would combine to ignite and you would get a medium size flare up (a foot high or so).  Not much, individually, but 100 or so started a good size fire. 

2 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Should Cruz have sustained some injuries catching Javi?

The way I look at it, drop an 80 lb. bag of cement mix from 12' up and see if you can catch it without breaking any bones.  But that didn't fit the storyline.  On another note, I don't see why they needed a 35' ladder for a second story window.  24' would have been appropriate.

Gallo getting up in Battalion Chief Hawkins' face at the station was hilarious.  He's such little bantam rooster.  That's not to say that Hawkins and Violet aren't both idiots, but...  When he received the call from HQ to be there in the morning, they should have used the patented Wolf 'Dun dun'.

Poor Mouch.  Getting the rug pulled out of his prank, only to be replaced by a high school level stunt from the women.

Cameo from the Slammigan tool!  But it was offset by the complete absence of the Engine on a working structure fire.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

The way I look at it, drop an 80 lb. bag of cement mix from 12' up and see if you can catch it without breaking any bones.  But that didn't fit the storyline. 

I thought so. We should have been calling him "Sloppy Joe" Cruz after that.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, yourdreamer said:

I think Violet knows that Gallo wouldn't be that petty and wouldn't want to get her in trouble. It was pretty obvious to me that the other guy saw them. 

At least that's the way I hope the show goes, but who knows. Maybe they want to ruin Gallo too. 

Damnit writers, the fire was on the Delta side, not Bravo. Sheesh.

So the engine crew humped a charged 2-1/2 up three flights but didn't open up the nozzle the instant they made entry? Your guys need more training there Hermann.

At least Tuesday got some bacon outta this. Me? I'd have grabbed as much as I could stuff into my pockets on the way out. Save the Bacon!

Still trying to figure out what's up with Segar's storyline. 

Don't care about Hot Paramedic Chief and Violet, don't care about Javi beyond wanting to see him in a stable situation, but we know One Chicago's playbook with lead characters adopting strays, and it's tedious.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, amarante said:

I really don't know much about fire fighting but is it possible for someone as small as Stella to actually be able to physically perform. It seems like a significant part of fire fighting involves physical exertion versus a police officer where sheer physical capability is really not necessary to be effective since much of policing involves social interaction.

I have no doubt that there are women who are physically capable of fire fighting just as there are many men who aren't physically capable.

However it just seems unlikely that the typical very slim female actress is a realistic casting choice. Genuine question as I fully support women working in non-traditionally gendered job but just wonder if being a certain "size" is a bona fide occupational qualification for being a fire fighter.

Yes.  I am a very small female, I am  five foot nothing and am little.  I am not a fireman but do have a physically demanding job as well as lifting at my gym.  I can out pace the men at my job and outlift some of the men at my gym.  I honestly couldnt roll my eyes enough at this comment as I get beat down with this kind of thinking DAILY.  Saying things like I have no doubt or I fully support women in this role doesnt make your ignorant comment ok.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, erikaelvis said:

Yes.  I am a very small female, I am  five foot nothing and am little.  I am not a fireman but do have a physically demanding job as well as lifting at my gym.  I can out pace the men at my job and outlift some of the men at my gym.  I honestly couldnt roll my eyes enough at this comment as I get beat down with this kind of thinking DAILY.  Saying things like I have no doubt or I fully support women in this role doesnt make your ignorant comment ok.

Amen. The only real requirement is that you need to be in peak physical shape and able to pass minimum standards. Stamina is far more important here than brute strength. Can you go to work with 70 pounds of bunker gear and SCBA, doing tough physical labor in extreme heat (and cold) for extended periods of time?

Can you roll fifty foot lengths of hose after working a physically taxing fire? Can you lift and accurately operate extrication tools, force doors, cut through steel rollups with a K12 or vent a roof with a chainsaw? An average person in great physical shape, male or female, can do the job. Firefighters IRL prize themselves on keeping in shape, and most houses have extensive weight rooms, and I'm frankly surprised the show doesn't feature that as part of their off-duty lives (that is, whenever they're not boinking each other). 

• Love 3

I had a coworker who was five foot nothing, weighed 100 lbs soaking wet and could out-lift the no-necks at the gym. So yes, slim women absolutely can be strong enough and physically fit enough to be firefighters.  Just because they aren’t bulky doesn’t mean they’re not solid. 

• Love 2

The Joe-Chloe storyline with Javi is really the only one worth caring about in this episode. I'm interested to see what happens next.

Stella continues to be deified. No interest. Kelly again front and center to work what was thought to be a suspicious fire. No interest. Another side-hustle from the non-main characters goes nowhere. Again, no interest.

And I am supremely satisfied that another paramedic did catch Hawkins and Violet, and now he'll have to answer for it. These are the reasons why relationships with a boss do not work, especially in these types of jobs. And it's about damn time someone on one of these shows called it out.