Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: REWATCH: The Baby Shower

The four friends are invited to a baby shower out in Connecticut, and they each react differently. Carrie is “late”, and wonders how she would be as a mother. Samantha throws an “I don't have a baby” shower party.

Honestly, my first reaction was WTF? Carrie, Miranda and Samantha didn't want to go to the baby shower, then don't go. Instead they decide to go even though they still don't want to go then seemed unable to understand that they were suppose to bring gifts and what those gifts were suppose to be. Condoms, booze, and Carrie completely forgetting to get a gift coupled with the disdain for the baby shower, again why are you going?     

I felt a little for Charlotte because I'm been in her shoes wondering when it'll be my turn to be a mom, but didn't understand why she was so upset at her friend for 'stealing' her baby name. Granted, I've seen people in real life doing the same thing and never understood the big deal. Or why that prevents someone from using the name on their own child.  

• Love 2

I found that whole episode depressing which is ironic given how it is supposed to be a joyous occasion, especially factoring in the end when the former wild pregnant friend was basically miserable and "forced" back home and blah.

And I agree about the thought that if they didn't want to go to the damned shower, STAY HOME. I didn't get all the drama about it.

• Love 1

Granted, I've seen people in real life doing the same thing and never understood the big deal. Or why that prevents someone from using the name on their own child.

Because they have to be first!  ::eyeroll::  Seinfeld had a storyline about this with George as well.

• Love 1

I absolutely loved how hilariously inappropriate this entire episode was, from the dialogue to the bad gifts to the crazy "mommyhood cult" to their pregnant friend trying to strip at Samantha's equally inappropriate "I'm not expecting" shower.

Adored every bit of it, and I thought Samantha completely stole the show with her hysterical antics and comments.

• Love 3

I'm a couple of episodes behind, but I remember thinking this episode was hilarious, too. Some of the "fish out of water" situations on the show were completely bizarre, which made them funny (to me). 

I absolutely loved how hilariously inappropriate this entire episode was, from the dialogue to the bad gifts to the crazy "mommyhood cult" to their pregnant friend trying to strip at Samantha's equally inappropriate "I'm not expecting" shower.

Adored every bit of it, and I thought Samantha completely stole the show with her hysterical antics and comments.

I recited "You bitch!" right along with Samantha when she heard that Laney had "stolen" Charlotte's baby name. I do it any time I see this episode because it's just too funny to me. Samantha wanted any reason to cuss out Laney and she got it!

• Love 1

Oh yes, that exchange is a classic!!

;-)

Or how about later at Samatha's shower: "I don't have a baby! Everybody drink!!"

But the greatest Sam/Laney exchange ruled that episode:

Laney: Isn't it great? I can eat anything I want. Jealous? Oh, my God! It's the Bellini baby basket! Oh, look, everybody! It's the Bellini baby basket!!

Samantha: Speaking of Bellinis, I'm gonna have a big drink. Jealous?

Loves. It!!

• Love 8

The thing that stuck out was the writers actually acknowledging the existance of abortion back in the mid 90s. I watched a lot a soaps around the time I started catching this show in reruns that dance around the issue or even worse, treat those that got one as damaged goods, so I liked their discussion on that.

• Love 1

The thing that stuck out was the writers actually acknowledging the existance of abortion back in the mid 90s. I watched a lot a soaps around the time I started catching this show in reruns that dance around the issue or even worse, treat those that got one as damaged goods, so I liked their discussion on that.

I think it depended on what kind of show it was. Earlier this year I started watching episodes of Melrose Place v1.0 (via Netflix), and in the earlier episodes, Jane thought she might have been pregnant. She had yet to talk to Michael about it, but she did consider abortion. The other character whose name I forget (she was the aspiring actress) talked about how she'd had an abortion before. That was in the early '90s.

I feel like TV shows now have become more conservative in that regard.

• Love 2

This may be my favorite episode of S1. Loved it. Samantha's "You bitch!" was so awesome and even if she was just looking for a reason to get mad at Lanie it was a nice show of support for Charlotte.

This episode also had the first use - or at least the first use I noticed- of Carrie's infamous "I couldn't help but wonder..." line.

I work with a nutty, rather self-absorbed woman who has a son about my daughter's age (about 6). The way she talks about him makes me think that she's raising a little mama's boy; for example, she doesn't like sports because she thinks they're too uncivilized and barbaric, so she's hoping her son won't like them either. Oy.

Anyway, any time she starts talking about it, all I can hear in my head is my favorite line from this episode (and one of my favorite lines of the series) from Miranda:

"Thirty years from now, what do you think the chances are that some woman is going to be able to make Andy happy? I'm gonna go with zero."

• Love 2
The thing that stuck out was the writers actually acknowledging the existence of abortion back in the mid 90s.

But weren't all the SatC abortions in the past?  I feel like the show copped out when it came to Miranda's unexpected pregnancy by having her actually schedule the abortion and then change her mind.  30something did the same thing in the late 1980s/early 90s with the Susanna character.  The only TV characters I can recall having an abortion as part of a current storyline were Maude (of the show Maude, if anyone didn't know that!) and Helen Hunt's guest star character on St. Elsewhere.

Miranda not having an abortion didn't bother me, really. I mean, I get why it would for some, but I think it was the timing versus Miranda not really wanting kids. Especially since that much was later said with Miranda and Carrie discussing their optimal ages/last chance ages to have kids. It was established that Miranda actually did want kids, and I think once she really thought about it, she realized while the circumstances were not ideal, well...she wasn't getting any younger and there may not be a later.

So if she wanted kids - and, again, she made it clear that she did - this pregnancy was that opportunity.

But for those characters who have never had such a desire, yeah, it can be a cop-out.

• Love 1

But weren't all the SatC abortions in the past? I feel like the show copped out when it came to Miranda's unexpected pregnancy by having her actually schedule the abortion and then change her mind. 30something did the same thing in the late 1980s/early 90s with the Susanna character. The only TV characters I can recall having an abortion as part of a current storyline were Maude (of the show Maude, if anyone didn't know that!) and Helen Hunt's guest star character on St. Elsewhere.

I remember being very impressed back when Lauren Ambrose's character of Claire Fisher from "Six Feet Under" got an abortion. She was still in her teens, she didn't want the burden of an unplanned child, and she simply drove herself to the nearest clinic and had the procedure quickly done...no preaching from the show, no judgements against her character, and it just felt so refreshingly REAL.

It's so insulting to me how so many shows these days refuse to even discuss the abortion option, like it's too controversial for a female character to dare consider, because don't you realize that you're "supposed" to have a kid no matter what?!

It's almost like TV writers are too scared to even go there, lest the show dare lose precious viewers---our culture has seemingly regressed from some of the 1970's-90's progressive topics in entertainment.

After I first saw this SatC episode, every fiber of my ChildFree/Pro-Choice soul cheered because I appreciated the ladies' realistic commentary on the creepy mommy cult and the awkwardness of baby showers/wife-to-mom life switch in general.

It was so nice to see successful women who honestly weren't too starry-eyed about the typically expected mommyhood trajectory.

I'm not gonna lie though---I was slightly dismayed when the seemingly die-hard, ChildFree-For-Life Miranda eventually decided to keep her oopsie baby with Steve. I guess it helped that he actually wanted a child and hoped to settle down with her eventually. But it would've been interesting to see what would've happened had she NOT gone ahead with that pregnancy too.

Carrie though, oddly enough, never dwelled too much on the idea of motherhood. After this episode with her pregnancy scare, I don't remember her ever even mentioning possibly having children again.

But I liked that she herself admitted to having had an abortion once---it made her character far more relatable to me after that.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 4

So they went to the baby shower hoping to see more spectacle than provide happiness and support for Laney.  I'm guessing that, at least Samantha's gift was due to Laney's 'former lifestyle'.

Miranda is right about the 'cult of mommy', but that generally only involves (that I've seen at least), women who are SAHMs, not those that have to juggle work and family and are usually too tired to be quite so involved in 'everything baby.'  When she did have Brady, she wasn't part of the 'cult of mommy' like those women, she did keep her job.  That cult is because the women don't have any other life. 

Lol'd at the car, "does anyone know how to drive?"  Was that someone's car?  Shouldn't they know how to drive?  Or if rented, the driver should be the renter, the one with the driver's license.

And Charlotte, considering you hadn't seen Laney in over 2 years, do you really think that your "Shayla" and Laney's "Shayla" would ever meet?  If so, who cares if the name is the same. That said, Laney was a bitch for taking it.

As for Miranda later having an unexpected baby, it just goes to show that when you know its not the right time, as perhaps while one is in college, an abortion could be the right answer, but later in life when one had the money and relative stability, choosing to keep the baby can be right (especially since she could tell Steve would be an involved father).  And yes, its perfectly fine for some women, like Samantha, to feel fine for never having a child.

I had the name Shayla picked for my future child when I was about 14, it's the title of a Blondie song. That Shayla worked in a factory, she was in misery...sorry.

I ended up using a different name for my daughter but named on of my dogs Shayla. Her full name was "Shay Shays my bay bay and I don't mean may bay" but that's a different story only a dog lover would appreciate.

I recently saw this episode again and it seemed like the women, except Charlotte, seemed to go to the shower just so they could mock the mommies who have no life.

This is one of my least favorites.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3

I liked this episode because it really hits home.  If you've ever been in the situation of being a single, childless woman of a certain age around members of the "cult of mommy", you will understand this episode to the depths of your soul!  Much like when Carrie registers for her one pair of shoes.  Loved that episode too. 

• Love 2

I can't imagine Charlotte naming her child Shayla. It just doesn't seem to fit.

Totally!  No offense to any Shaylas out there, but it's kind of a stripper name, imo.  Charlotte always struck me as someone who would go with 'classic' girls names (e.g. Lily and Rose).

• Love 1

I liked this episode because it really hits home.  If you've ever been in the situation of being a single, childless woman of a certain age around members of the "cult of mommy", you will understand this episode to the depths of your soul!  Much like when Carrie registers for her one pair of shoes.  Loved that episode too. 

Ha,you don't even have to be single to appreciate and understand this episode. It's one of my favorites along with the shoe episode you mentioned. Love them both for identical reasons! 

On 8/11/2014 at 7:54 PM, Sun-Bun said:

I would've been partying hard at Samantha's Un-Shower, love that idea!

• Love 2
On 8/17/2014 at 8:18 PM, Sun-Bun said:

I'm not gonna lie though---I was slightly dismayed when the seemingly die-hard, ChildFree-For-Life Miranda eventually decided to keep her oopsie baby with Steve. I guess it helped that he actually wanted a child and hoped to settle down with her eventually. But it would've been interesting to see what would've happened had she NOT gone ahead with that pregnancy too.

The Big Bang Theory backpedaled on one of their supposedly anti-child characters too. Bernadette let it be known that she did not like children and was not interested in motherhood - she and her husband Howard sort of hand-waved away the subject so that they could get married. Then, of course she gets pregnant accidentally - TWICE. Whatever. 

• Love 2

This is my constant rewatch episode of the first season.  It's the first episode I truly feel the four are friends and not just friends out of a common interest.

I loved Samantha's 'I'm not having a baby' shower and I would ahve lvoed to have been a guest at it :)

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 4