Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13 : There's No Fear In Love

• Start Topic

Gino's past mistakes come back to haunt him; Kim gives Usman an ultimatum; Mike's friend gives him some tough love regarding Ximena; Ella gets a final answer from Johnny. 

First Look: 3/11/22; TLC: 3/13/22; Discovery+: 3/13/22

• Love 2

It's Mama Hamza's turn with the translator. Memphis cannot guarantee anything to her. Relationships take two people. Memphis comes with kids and a lot of baggage. Hamza probably has led a rather boring, usual life. Will she run to her ex? How will Hamza deal with the kids and the ex? What about Memphis' mental health struggles and her past? So the wedding is in two days and no dress.

We then go to Gino and Jasmine. She's working out, she's angry at him. She is expecting a $3000 allowance each month? From where? She likes being a teacher. Well, if she wants to move to the US, she will have to look in to certification and if her skills and education will be recognized. I think she still is ticked off about the hat.

Last, we get Ben and Mahogs. Surprise! Her parents have come to the resort. She is concerned about Ben not telling about his part in the break-ups of his marriage and ex. So Ben decided to spend half the night texting her. Apparently, God has hardened her heart overnight. Uh, Ben, she may think you are hiding things and being a bit creepy. I'd run from all those texts - all 10 pages of them? Ben does have free will and God does not orchestrate all this. However, there is karma and you do get a lesson. I think Ben will be surprised that Hog's parents are now there. And not in a good way. Again, the suitcase on the bed.

1 hour ago, AR Traveler said:

Hello, all: I am new.  The other day, I read all the threads for the current season and I've never laughed so hard.  The snark is strong here.  Like the recent widow who uses this site for some humor in a difficult time, I too look for distraction.  My 23 year old daughter is terminally ill with a brain disease.  I'm glad I found this.

Sunday will bring all the snark out of the woodwork, but while watching the preview I couldn't help but notice Gino's flat affect.  It's like there's no regret for the damage he's done.  

Why doesn't Mother Hamza ask the obvious question: How do you marry someone you don't know, can't communicate with without a box or a translator, he's unemployed, and who you're going to be responsible for for a decade?  Most of all, how do you know this guy will be good with your kids?  I would be asking.

Welcome, AR Traveler!

Edited by Frozendiva
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

One of the podcasts I listen to calls Mother Hamza "Momza" and I <3 it.  Momza has to be so sad her son will be overseas, as she combs his hair and cracks his hard boiled eggs open for him it will be a tough loss.  I vote Momza comes to the USA where she can shed her divorced woman stigma she's been assigned in Tunisia, make bank at the Lancome counter and find a rich man who loves her. She is so beautiful.  Memphis has overcome a lot to her credit, yet has so much unresolved trauma that she hasn't begun to scratch the surface. The translator is no Adam L but he did translate with emphasis and her tone.

The Mahogany stuff is some strange shit. Ben's basically a cult upbringing really left him some straight up NO boundaries. He can justify anything he does because he is working for the lord. Seen it in so many fundie families- do whatever you want in the name of God. Little self awareness for the impact on others and that, in his case, he's burning it all down with his crazy bullshit texts.

Gino and Jasmine are boring at this point. She ebbs and flows he is just the same. If he is not going to take off his hat for prayer in the home of her mother he is meeting for the FIRST friggin' time, he isn't going to be a partner in any definition of the word. He is NOT capable. 

Anxious to see how Ella and Johnny square up. Ten bucks says she skips the Tell All. It's too horrid to recap or for her to face the music on questioning. 

• Love 21

Welcome, AR Traveler! I hope that this space brings you a few moments of distraction and a chance to breathe.

21 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

I couldn't help but notice Gino's flat affect.  It's like there's no regret for the damage he's done.  

Agree. Gino needs to acknowledge what he has done, over and over until Jasmine is able to let it go. It seems like she's trying hard to connect with Gino for something, anything - be it reassurance, empathy, a deeper apology and/or anything at all so she feels that he really gets what he's done. But he just sits there.  Like I used to say to my kids when they were little - "use your words." Yes, Gino, use your words. Try to fully understand what you have done. Jasmin is still very angry, yet she also is holding back and not flying off the handle like she previously did. Now Gino, it's time for YOU to grow if you want to keep this relationship. WORDS, Gino, use them!

10 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Anxious to see how Ella and Johnny square up. Ten bucks says she skips the Tell All. It's too horrid to recap or for her to face the music on questioning. 

These two were just fillers, their story line never progressing into anything really interesting (at least for me). If they do go on the Tell All, I'm hoping that after two or three minutes and a "wow" or two from Shaun, their segment will be done. Final. As in never hear from them again.To me this was one of those experiences that happen in young lives, then you mature, are over it and move on to more meaningful things. It'll just be a distant memory one day for both of them.

Edited by Breedom
  • Love 13
15 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Hello, all: I am new.  The other day, I read all the threads for the current season and I've never laughed so hard.  The snark is strong here.  Like the recent widow who uses this site for some humor in a difficult time, I too look for distraction.  My 23 year old daughter is terminally ill with a brain disease.  I'm glad I found this.

Sunday will bring all the snark out of the woodwork, but while watching the preview I couldn't help but notice Gino's flat affect.  It's like there's no regret for the damage he's done.  

Why doesn't Mother Hamza ask the obvious question: How do you marry someone you don't know, can't communicate with without a box or a translator, he's unemployed, and who you're going to be responsible for for a decade?  Most of all, how do you know this guy will be good with your kids?  I would be asking.

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Hello, and hugs to both of you. ❤️❤️

5 hours ago, magemaud said:

I’m convinced that Mahogany called her parents to come rescue her from Creepy Ben. She seemed more relieved than surprised to see them at breakfast. Meanwhile, Ben is besieging her all night with texts and random vague Bible quotes which are open to interpretation. “There is no fear in love”? The next gems he might glean from his daily devotions could be “Love  means never having to say you’re sorry” or “There’s no crying in baseball” 

I hope he goes with "There's no crying in baseball." Thank you for the laugh!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

Meanwhile, Ben is besieging her all night with texts and random vague Bible quotes which are open to interpretation. “There is no fear in love”? The next gems he might glean from his daily devotions could be “Love  means never having to say you’re sorry” or “There’s no crying in baseball” 

Or, 'If you bring it, they will come".

6 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Gino and Jasmine are boring at this point. She ebbs and flows he is just the same. If he is not going to take off his hat for prayer in the home of her mother he is meeting for the FIRST friggin' time, he isn't going to be a partner in any definition of the word. He is NOT capable. 

Do we think Gino is on the spectrum, or has some sort of Aspergers? The way he looks vacant when confronted, his nervous tapping and shaking hands and feet, his 'Uhhhh' replies to pointed questions, the rapid blinking like he's trying to send an SOS in Morse Code to someone? It's all so weird. Yet another damaged goods American thinking he deserves a hot chick from Latin America.

Edited by gingerella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 15
5 minutes ago, AR Traveler said:

Thank you.  She's not in any pain but sleeps a lot.  It's been two years and she's accepted it well.  Brave young woman.

I agree!  I thought  it was a good and fair question about what he's learned from previous relationships.  I'd want to know if a prospective partner blamed everyone else, or did he have  the insight to see where he went wrong.   And it doesn't take ten pages of text, Bible quotes, and a  theology lesson.  I don't know about fear, but there should be oodles of common sense in love.

I just realized that Ben will blame Mahogany for the demise of their relationship.  He's doing it already-"She hardened her heart against me".  Not "Maybe I came on way too strong, showed up when she didn't want me to, and all but had us married".

And he also dragged God into it when he said, "God hardened her heart against me." Like none of it has anything to do with him. I think because he's older, Ben doesn't get that younger people sometimes goof- extreme-flirt on texts and such; it's a whole different thing in person.

Please keep us posted how you're both doing. ❤️

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 10

AR Traveler, I would also like to welcome you to some of the best in snark while you and your daughter endure the unthinkable. I know these forums have helped me through a time of personal loss. If you aren't already familiar with another excellent trainwreck you might want to begin watching and reading about Whitney Way Thore of My Big Fat Fabulous Life. A recurring thought that goes through my head when watching either one is "What is wrong with these people?" A really interesting facet of these forums is the detective work done by the members so that it is more obvious when the craziness is producer directed and when it is organic and where the truth might lie.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, JeanJean said:

And he also dragged God into it when he said, "God hardened her heart against me."

I guess Ben thinks God is a douche, huh? I mean, if God turned this young woman away from you Ben, it must mean God thinks youre a fucking douchebag, and he's protecting her!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 14

OK. I have a question for all of you. How does one become a nurse practitioner, which takes a lot of intellect and a lot of training, and does not know the childhood trauma affects your adult life and your relationships?  Unless, of course, you have gotten appropriate treatment.  Which, Memphis has shown no indication that she has.

Hamza’s mother has very logical concerns especially, since she has witnessed this piece of work’s  behavior since she’s been in her house.  She is disrespectful to everyone.

• Love 18

It's even more ironic that her specialty is in counseling and mental health services. (Her Yelp reviews are what you would expect e.g. not stellar. ) And I wouldn't be surprised if she is incapable of maintaining  objectivity if the client's issue is too similar to her own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, Kid said:

OK. I have a question for all of you. How does one become a nurse practitioner, which takes a lot of intellect and a lot of training, and does not know the childhood trauma affects your adult life and your relationships? 

I have read that she works in the mental health field, making it more of a puzzle.  Maybe she slept through that unit.

1 hour ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

I'd suggest Mike hook up with Translator Nelcy, but Nelcy probably has a significant other with much more to offer.

Nelcy is his best friend’s fiancée, so that might be a tad rude.  They all went to the toy store together.

• Love 8

I know these scenes are chopped up by the editors, and there is a good chance it is done intentionally... But I feel like the app more accurately interprets these conversations than the live interpretor. 

Edited by Dreamawake719
Changing production to editors, although in someways maybe they are one in the same?
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/11/2022 at 11:07 PM, Frozendiva said:

It's Mama Hamza's turn with the translator. Memphis cannot guarantee anything to her. Relationships take two people. Memphis comes with kids and a lot of baggage. Hamza probably has led a rather boring, usual life. Will she run to her ex? How will Hamza deal with the kids and the ex? What about Memphis' mental health struggles and her past? So the wedding is in two days and no dress.

We then go to Gino and Jasmine. She's working out, she's angry at him. She is expecting a $3000 allowance each month? From where? She likes being a teacher. Well, if she wants to move to the US, she will have to look in to certification and if her skills and education will be recognized. I think she still is ticked off about the hat.

Last, we get Ben and Mahogs. Surprise! Her parents have come to the resort. She is concerned about Ben not telling about his part in the break-ups of his marriage and ex. So Ben decided to spend half the night texting her. Apparently, God has hardened her heart overnight. Uh, Ben, she may think you are hiding things and being a bit creepy. I'd run from all those texts - all 10 pages of them? Ben does have free will and God does not orchestrate all this. However, there is karma and you do get a lesson. I think Ben will be surprised that Hog's parents are now there. And not in a good way. Again, the suitcase on the bed.

Welcome, AR Traveler!

I have no sympathy for Jasmine.  You took pictures of yourself and gave them to Gino.  Now you’re making like a big actress with screaming and yelling that he showed the pictures to his Ex?  This is on you.  Oh, by the way .. you love him?  Yeah, ok, lol. 
@AR Traveler,    Am praying for your Daughter as I believe in miracles. 

• Love 9

TLC gives itself away in terms of it telling its "actors" what to say because too many of them say the exact same things: "love of my life," "I deserve this," and now women calling other women "bitches" (which I really hate).

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

TLC gives itself away in terms of it telling its "actors" what to say because too many of them say the exact same things: "love of my life," "I deserve this," and now women calling other women "bitches" (which I really hate).

I have never known a woman who actually refers to other women as "bitches". Quite uncouth and uncultured if I may say so myself.

Oh, and don't forget "babe" or "baby". Never honey, sweetheart, or other endearing names.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Me from ME said:

It's even more ironic that her specialty is in counseling and mental health services. (Her Yelp reviews are what you would expect e.g. not stellar. ) And I wouldn't be surprised if she is incapable of maintaining  objectivity if the client's issue is too similar to her own.

Nailed it.

7 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I keep imagining what it might be like to be her patient. You show up with some serious psychological issue you're desperate to deal with, and there you are sitting across from this hideous, ignorant gnome. Good luck to you.

OMG, just imagine the type of Nurse Memphis' counseling  - Hello, now today the whole 45 minutes is you listening to ME! Her childhood struggles, her terrible experiences, her disastrous marriage and love life, her need for quality time with her children. On and on and on. And in THAT voice. 

• Love 11

Lawyer:  What assets do you have that you want to protect?

Memphis:  I plan to build a house some day.  

19 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

But hey- Usman said she looked "cute" at the pool

People said ET was cute.

I hate to defend Ben but if someone ignored countless texts I would assume that they weren’t going to show for breakfast.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 5

Translator or no translator, Mama Hamza should have known by Memphis' tone of voice, that she was being mean and nasty.  I was hoping she'd hold her ground, instead of backing down.  

I am convinced Ben and Mahogany's storyline is manufactured.  Only Ben doesn't know. And those two people aren't her parents, but rather paid actors.  

Based on Kimbaaly's behavior, I have a feeling she paid for Sojaboy's video shoot.  Which is why she said she feels like a fool.  

• Love 14

I also hate to defend Gino, but I am one who is lousy at remembering trips, exactly where we were and when we were wherever we were!  I have to have a photograph of our little group standing in front of the Alamo, or next to a "Welcome to Branson" sign.  And I can try to narrow down the year by the heights of the kids or the length of my husband's hair.  Jasmine is cocoa puffs cookoo, but she's right on one thing.  You can tell Gino is lying or hiding something by his fiddling and tapping (which is constant).

Ella: There's nothing wrong with being a sensual person who loves touch.  Where it goes wrong is when your worth is based on sexual attention from men and not from who you are inside.  You'll find yourself performing sex acts for someone across the world, and that's not love.  Up to now I've liked Johnny, but now it occurred to me that he was complicit.  I think he was enjoying it and being not too bright, he didn't see the desperately unhappy woman on the screen.

I loved the green dress Memphis tried on, even if my first thought was of Scarlett O'Hara's curtain dress. The one she chose makes her look like the love child of Darcy, Alina, and a drum major.  

I don't know about the rest of you, but my parents were out of my love life (such as it was) by about 16, and surely didn't have to have some private meeting with my boyfriends when I was 22.   The creepiness just jumped off the screen.  Is he going to browbeat her parents into "giving" him their daughter?  Does he expect them to persuade her to go with him?  Or Duggar-like, ask to court her?  Eep.  

Someone has to go to Colombia and fish Mike out of there, as he obviously can't pick up what everyone, including Ximena, is putting down.  That romp wasn't "getting lucky", it was a sexual carrot to keep his wallet in the picture.  

Kim: If you're putting in all the work in a relationship, it will not work.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 16

Ben referred to Mahogany as his "ex-fiancee," but they were never really engaged, were they?

Also, when he said he had been dating a 27 year old woman for 3 years - was that the woman who catfished him, or someone he knew only via the internet, or someone actually knew in real life?

And could Ximena be any more transparent? But knowing now that Mike's a racist, I don't care if he gets hurt.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, JeanJean said:

Ben referred to Mahogany as his "ex-fiancee," but they were never really engaged, were they?

Also, when he said he had been dating a 27 year old woman for 3 years - was that the woman who catfished him, or someone he knew only via the internet, or someone actually knew in real life?

And could Ximena be any more transparent? But knowing now that Mike's a racist, I don't care if he gets hurt.

The ex-fiancee was the 27 year old.  I think he's been stalking Mahogany for only three months or so.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/11/2022 at 11:05 PM, AR Traveler said:

Welcome, my friend! I’m so glad you came here. You will love this forum so much. Also, come to our live chats if you can! They are filled with fun! Praying for your daughter and sending love and hugs to her.

• Love 14
On 3/12/2022 at 9:56 AM, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

If you want to know, the answer is in  the couple's thread.

6 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

Ella: There's nothing wrong with being a sensual person who loves touch.  Where it goes wrong is when your worth is based on sexual attention from men and not from who you are inside.  You'll find yourself performing sex acts for someone across the world, and that's not love.  Up to now I've liked Johnny, but now it occurred to me that he was complicit.  I think he was enjoying it and being not too bright, he didn't see the desperately unhappy woman on the screen.

Someone has to go to Colombia and fish Mike out of there, as he obviously can't pick up what everyone, including Ximena, is putting down.  That romp wasn't "getting lucky", it was a sexual carrot to keep his wallet in the picture.  

Ella needs therapy. BAD. And Doctor Now.

Mike made the child's race car bed.  Now he can lie in it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, AR Traveler said:

There's nothing wrong with being a sensual person who loves touch.  Where it goes wrong is when your worth is based on sexual attention from men and not from who you are inside.  You'll find yourself performing sex acts for someone across the world, and that's not love. 

If she put half the effort into getting some counseling to address her issues and losing some weight for better health and better self-esteem as she puts in to pretend relationships, she could be a very happy woman. She is pretty and she appears to be a hard worker.

Ben:  Dear old Ben is disgusting, isn’t he, and has quite the nasty streak! I am glad her parents showed up which is probably production driven. I do believe those are her parents because the woman looks like her.

I think he is a nasty piece of work and, when he does not get his way, the mask falls and you can see it.

Kim:  I agree with everyone here who said that she paid for that video shoot. That’s why she’s so pissed off. She thought she could buy herself a toy.

Mike:  When she says she wants space, that means leave the country but keep sending the checks.  You’ve got to quit thinking with your dick, my boy.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 20
9 hours ago, KateHearts said:

Momza and Sistza are beautiful women. 

Yes, absolutley....and it occurred to me that we have yet to see a season where the female in the couple is from Tunisia or Morocco (unless I missed it). We see a lot of men fishing for the sexy Latinas but yes, Hamza's sister is a very attractive woman who seems to be intelligent and polite. Why isn't she online fishing for a man to export her and help support Momza? 

Ben's mask really fell didn't it. I had to LOL when her parents showed up---my ex in laws (Peruvian) would have done the same. Especially upper and upper middle class Peruvians are VERY coddled by their parents and yes, they typically will live at home until they get married. If the house is big enough they will maybe still live there with their spouse. I do think Mahogs agreed to actually finally show up on camera in hopes of a modeling or acting career. She is very comfortable on camera and seems to be very aware of how she presents herself. And she was spot on in her questions of Creepy Ben about his past. He needs some counseling and therapy on the idea of boundaries. Even a woman his age would be freaked out by those long ass creepy texts---I know I would! 

Johnny failed to realize how broken and messed up Ella is in reality when it comes to her body image and self worth. She seems to realize it when she said she puts a lot of her value into sexual attention from men, too bad she doesn't go to therapy and do the work on that......

Mike and Ximena, after the revelations about how they really met, I find him less endearing and more of a creepy perv. So the gross smirk about having sex really almost made me hurl. If he stays he gets zero sympathy from me about being used. 

Jasmine may have inflated her salary a bit, but I can believe she earns that if she is teaching in a private school or a foreign backed private school....her English is excellent. Gino was really sweating her looking through the emails, the Legoland scandal is probably the most tame thing she could find and he is relieved she stopped looking there. 

• Love 13

Someone needs to tell Kimberly she needs to wear concealer EVERY day.  She looks like she just took a beating with the black circles under her eyes.  

Ella crying to Johnny sounded like a child that is not getting her way. She needs some therapy first, then a relationship.

Ben has gotten even more creepy with each episode, if that is possible.  I had a short relationship with a guy that would blow up my answering message machine (yeah this was before smart phones and texting) when we broke up.  Going so far as to recording Fire and Brimstone sermons on my answering machine.  Creepy.  That is Ben at this point.

Mike, like poster said upthread.  Stop thinking with your little head.  The moment she thought you were actually thinking of leaving suddenly you were not so repulsive to her so she gives you a little slap and tickle to keep you on the hook.  And you fell for it.

• Love 21