Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Tucked Up in Newport

• Start Topic

On 3/17/2022 at 1:25 PM, MollyB said:

As to the "safe as brandy" question:

I got this on the Quora website.

"Brandy is good once a week as it heats your body from inside and helpful in pulling out cough from your chest.

It is generally preferred as medicine in India. Which is generally taken with warm water or warm water and honey in small quantity (Ex: 30 ml or 60 ml max).

It is more suitable to have once in week during winters that too in limited quantity as mentioned above.

Note: Anything that you consume in excess will harm your health and body.

Its better to not make it a habit and have once fortnightly."

My first thought was the Oceans 11 movie (Clooney one) when Carl Reiner delivers the line about the hotel safe is for Grandmother's pearls and old brandy.

I'm thinking Agnes meant that nobody gets drunk on something like brandy, therefore it is safe.

I've never heard that phrase before but I took it to indicate that Agnes and all the society people knew that despite Nathan's character (McAllister) being married, he was not "interested" in women (gay) so their reputations around him could not be compromised.

Edited by RedHawk
Added name of character
  • Like 1

I think this was the first episode where I liked all the subplots.  It helped there was minimal Marian and Mr. Raikes.  I too was extremely frustrated that she brushed off Aurora's warning and it made her even more determined to get married.  

I actually liked the stenographer in previous episodes, so it's a shame she was in on the scheme. Though at least tell us how she got into cahoots with Dixon.

I suppose if I had to choose between Armstrong or Turner, a grump is better than a creep.  Or a combination of both like O'Brien.  A good lady's maid is so hard to find.

If Marian moves away, it will be harder to keep her in the story organically.  Hopefully, she moves back after Armstrong eats humble pie, or gets a few thrown at her by mommy dearest.

Newsies going to the grave was cute. 

Is Mrs. Astor really that influenced by Nathan Lane's character?  It doesn't seem like she has changed her mind about Mrs. Russell at all.

I felt for Aurora when Mrs. Fish told them to play after-dinner games.

That ending with Mrs. Russell facing the horrifying fish scaling/feather plucking, and gasp, carpet beating was straight out of a Halloween movie.  Definitely hilarious.

Edited by Camera One