Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E01: Feels Like a Rollercoaster

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 3/10/2022 at 11:14 AM, simplyme said:

Rocksroy did at least have enough self-awareness to realize he was used to dealing with his children and he needed to back off. I'm not sure he was horribly successful at that.

Given he also told Swati she needed to clean "those things you're calling shoes" and got so annoyed at people socializing he's giving strong "you kids get off my lawn" vibes.

I think I like Maryanne, but she definitely runs the risk of being too much.  The sobs when Jackson left were like she was auditioning for a horror movie.

How tall (or short) are Romeo and Zach that they weigh less than 120 lbs?  Yikes!

• Love 6

On 3/10/2022 at 7:12 AM, sigmaforce86 said:

I love doing escape the room app games but count the triangles (squares whatever) is one puzzle I hint right past.  I just can't do them and they take me so long I get too impatient.

Haha I'm the exact opposite - that's about the only Survivor challenge ever that I'd be good at!  I would also be good at remembering story details/info about other players, but they don't do those challenges any more.

5 hours ago, Cheyanne11 said:

How tall (or short) are Romeo and Zach that they weigh less than 120 lbs?  Yikes!

Zach said he was 5'9 so Romeo is a couple inches shorter than that.

I am surprising myself, but I am wholeheartedly rooting for Jonathan, the big brute who won me over with his feats of strength and his admitting that he's not very bright.

I wonder if physical strength in the challenges is going to be less important?  Of the men, it seems like there are only three men who are strong and in decent shape, one for each tribe.   Usually Survivor seems to evenly divide the contestants in terms of age/strength (like last season, each team got an older out of shape woman).  The team that Roxsbury is on had the two super skinny guys.  Does this mean that the women on that team are physically stronger to compensate?  I think this is the one with Swati the Marine and Drea the track coach, is that right?

I didn't like the way the tribe ganged up on Tori, but now she will know in the future, don't go off on her own.  Zack was clearly the right call, although I'm unclear as to why he got all the blame for the puzzle and Swati didn't get any of the blame.  Also, wasn't that tribe already behind to begin with?  It wasn't just the puzzle that made them lose.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 11:52 AM, DEL901 said:

There is a medical crew nearby.  If you need medicine that won’t interfere with the game, then they supply it on the appropriate schedule like birth control pills.  However, the only hygiene or medical-adjacent supplies that I am aware of are period products and condoms.  No soap or shampoo or aspirin.  

I wonder if that’s why they didn’t strap up that guy’s shoulder…he could make one, but no artificial aids.  

Condoms??  Wow, I was not aware they supplied those.  That's interesting...

On 3/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, Kenzie said:

You would have thought she had just found his bloody body in a bathtub at the Bates motel.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:07 AM, Jtrain said:

So far, after one episode the only one I for sure can't stand is Maryanne. She annoyed the hell out of me, with her over exaggerated crying her eyes out when Jackson got removed. She acted like Jeff just told everyone Jackson got eaten by a freaking shark. 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:34 PM, Nashville said:

No shit.  That sound which came out of Maryanne when Jackson told his tribe he was leaving???  Swear to god I thought someone had snuck up behind her and was trying to harvest a kidney.

On 3/13/2022 at 2:41 PM, Cheyanne11 said:

I think I like Maryanne, but she definitely runs the risk of being too much.  The sobs when Jackson left were like she was auditioning for a horror movie.

These posts, comparing Maryanne's shriek to (insert hilarious analogy here) are killing me! You guys are hysterical. 

I enjoyed the 1st episode of this season more than I have any other season in a verrrrry long time.  I'm in!  Looking forward to lurking on this forum, and enjoying the snark, also.

Edited by Miss Bones
bolded items
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 3/10/2022 at 8:06 AM, DallasGypsy said:

IMO ... Zach wanted to go and helped engineer his being voted off:

• He came back from the challenge taking all the blame for the loss even though his team was woefully behind in the challenge and there was someone else helping on the puzzle.
  • He went for the 1 in 6 chance of being safe.  Those are terrible odds.

Seems that actually playing Survivor may not have been as much fun as watching it on TV.

It may have been that Zach saw the writing on the wall. It is easy to turn on people who fail to solve the puzzle, even though there were lots of other points of failure along the way and even though if Zach was super-efficient at puzzle solving, they were just so far behind for them to have had a realistic shot. 

As we saw, the vote was unanimous against Zach, so he didn't really have much in the way of options besides the shot-in-the dark.

What I'm curious about is what would have happened if he had caught lucky with no one voting for anyone but him. A second-ish full tribal council or straight to revote?

On 3/11/2022 at 12:06 PM, Tango64 said:

Seems like every contestant is now described as a superfan. I'd love to see a season where they dig up people who have never seen Survivor but are intrigued by the concept. Like the original season or two. Then you'd have people figuring out how to play the game on the fly, instead of coming in with preconceived strategies and knowing all the history and fine details of what they should and shouldn't do.

I can dream...

I will dream that dream with you. But unfortunately, I think we will be stuck with the superfans for the foreseeable future. The saddest part is that it seems like many of these self-proclaimed superfans don't seem to understand the game at all.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:05 PM, Angeltoes said:

Another eye roller was somebody yelling,"We love you, Jackson!"  Please, you've known each other for less than a week.  I've worked with some of my coworkers for over four years and with some of them we haven't even made it to Friend level.

Maybe Jackson is more lovable than some of your coworkers. Or the Survivors were just being extra nice in a particularly disappointing moment for him. Pretty sure in this very thread people have talked about instantly hating or loving contestants. ::shrug::

• Love 3

I spent the whole episode trying to figure out who Jenny sounds like (to me, it's Mary Steenburgen) so a lot of details just slipped by me! But like other posters, I was amused by how much blood that one guy smeared all over himself. I thought, surely someone will offer to help clean him up, and will see no scratches. But whatever. 

I thought it was smart of that one tribe to split up the puzzle-doers and camp-gatherers. 

• LOL 2

The blood was so dumb. The first thing I thought when I saw it was "how are you going to explain that to your tribe?"

Did the three mud/blood people have any conversation about what they were going to tell their tribes they had to do? I would have been coming up with an explanation while I was smearing the other 2 up. Given no one else is going to see what they did but once they merge people might ask questions and I'd want my story to line up (even though we now know they probably will not work together].

• Love 1

One thing that I  liked… no mind games/ musical  chairs at tribal council.  I don’t mind plans  getting screwed up at tribal council but I prefer it when the alliances can’t run around and make up a new plan on the spot. 

• Love 1

The season of celebrity voice impersonators. Mike sounds like Mike Tyson and Jenny sounds like Mary Steenburgen.

I think the amulets are an interesting twist, for once. Not too overpowered and adding an interesting layer to the game. But I disagree that they get more powerfull the less there are. A steal a vote can be much, much more powerfull than an idol.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:56 AM, ProfCrash said:

Jackson first: He failed to tell producers he was weening himself off of lithium until the day before they started the game. Does that mean he failed to tell production and all the medical doctors he was taking lithium in the first place? And that somehow didn’t show up in the blood work that the show does? What the…

Yes I think that is what it means.

I think he was sure he could be off it once the season started, but Lithium is a bitch and it can take over a year to get off it. He should have known that. But maybe he wanted to believe badly that he would be one of the people who could get off it on the shorter side, as to not have his dream taken away. I'm sure if he had told them, production would have never put him on the roster. On the other hand, a trans man who already applied 10 years ago when he was still a woman is a catch for the show, so I'm sure he could have gone on a later season. Not sure if production will be inclined to give him a second chance now.

Drugs generally don't show up in blood tests unless you specifically check for them and Lithium isn't that common, because it has severe side effects. If he really got it perscribed just because he couldn't sleep that doctor should get their license revoked.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:48 AM, Keely said:

Because, as harsh as this is to say, Jackson lied about why he was taking it. He was not using it for sleep. There are far safer drugs out there for sleep. Lithium is a serious drug given for mood disorders. Usually bipolar disorder. Weaning off it is just as bad if not worse than being on it in terms of the show. Essentially, he'd be out there unmedicated, in a high stress environment. The mental and physical strain is huge. In that environment, I would say it was a matter of when his moods unstablized, not if. 

Or he had a quack doctor, who perscribed a sledgehammer for a screwdriver-problem. Happens more often than you think.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:08 AM, tinkerbell said:

On the live chat thread, it was mentioned in relation to Tori that anyone can call themselves a therapist. I take issue with that.  Therapists are state licensed, requiring a masters degree, and in most states, working under supervision after that, and then passing a licensing exam. It is a legitimate profession, and insurance companies pay for therapy by a licensed therapist. 

Well on survivor anyone can call themselves anything. We had multiple contestants who lied about their profession or status and it was put in their bio by production. Remember Russell Hantz the millionair?

On 3/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, Nashville said:

ithium is also used in the treatment of clinical depression

It is, but it really shouldn't be.

On 3/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, Nashville said:

Whether the Survivor medical staff had seen specific test results which gave them pause, or if they were simply acting out of an abundance of caution.

They had a short blink and you miss it scene, where another tribe mate said he should drink more water, because he had been dizzy the whole day. I think that coupled with the knowledge of his medication and how it can go awry, was enough for them to pull the plug.

On 3/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, Wandering Snark said:

Going off lithium, especially on your own, can have huge mood rebound repercussions down the line. He was 'a few days' from that possible no meds rebound period when he told them 'Oh btw I just weened off Lithium.'

It seems a little careless of the show to play 'wait and see' and a lot careless of him (and his health mental and otherwise) not telling.

From what I got he was still on it, as his weening off didn't go fast enough and so the show provided the lithium and I'd assume all the necessary tests. The "wait and see" was more about if stress and dehydration would negatively interact with the drug. Turns out it did and so they pulled him.

• Like 1
On 3/11/2022 at 5:55 PM, watch2much said:

well, as a pharmacist who worked in psychiatry, lithium is rarely used for anything but bipolar disorder and even then it's not always the first choice because of the potential for toxicity if one becomes dehydrated, etc. and the need for blood level monitoring.  as for depression, most doctors would use many other medications before they would give it for depression--I never saw it prescribed for depression.  It was always for bipolar disorder.  but so what if he has bipolar disorder?  that's the mindset that needs to be addressed.

How would you as a pharmacist know what condition the medication was perscribed for?