Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E01: Feels Like a Rollercoaster

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Did Drea use her extra vote or save it? Does that automatically mean Maryann also has an extra vote and what does Jennie get for protecting her vote?

Will there be a shot in the dark option at every TC?

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 2

Quite a lot to figure out I believe.  We have a long way to go.  Nonetheless, that was a very tough scene earlier in the episode.  Not fun having to remove someone from the game based off of everything, but I can't fault them at all.  I'll miss Jackson, but I can't blame him either.

Edited by Carey
  • Love 12

I was so torn who I wanted to go first-Zach or Tori.  I thought I'd be happy with either one, but in the end I really wanted Tori gone.  Way too over dramatic, smug, and over confident.  Kudos to Zach for trying his shot in the dark.  It seems like Swati was just trying to cover her own butt because of the puzzle loss at the IC, and Tori was upset because he actually gave her valuable information (that people were targeting her because they knew she was idol hunting).

Tori is not as good at this game as she'd like to think.  I was rooting for Rocksroy, but in the end I almost didn't care if he was voted off.  He needs to take a few steps back.  I like Drea, but I also think she might overplay and get blindsided.  The Orange and Green tribes seem cool.  I like Jonathan way better than I was expecting.  MaryAnne is nice, but needs to dial it back a little bit.  Lydia, with her awkward at running and swimming, sunburns easily, and not digging bugs is totally me.  The only difference is I won't even consider trying out for Survivor.  

Not sure how I feel about the whole Jackson situation.  It was probably the right choice to remove him, but I don't think he should have been allowed into the game in the first place.  Especially because it sounds like he was misleading about that part of his medical history?  

Oh, and not digging the return of the season of a million advantages and idols this season.  That thing in the first RC where those three cast members had to cover themselves in mud and blood was stupid.  I'd like to know how they explained the blood and what they had to do that caused this supposed bleeding.  

7 minutes ago, dizzyd said:

Did Drea use her extra vote or save it? Does that automatically mean Maryann also has an extra vote and what does Jennie get for protecting her vote?

Will there be a shot in the dark option at every TC?

Jennie doesn't get anything, but MaryAnne should also have an extra vote.  And yes, I believe there's a shot in the dark up until the final 6?  Or until everyone uses theirs, which likely won't happen.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11

I have extremely mixed feelings about Jackson as well. He definitely should have informed the show about his medication much sooner than he did, but the show shouldn't have put him in to start with as well. The whole situation is a bummer. And it prevented an alternate from getting a chance to play.

Having said that, i did enjoy the premiere much more than last season, even with all the advantages and twists. The fake blood was wholly unnecessary, though. That was just ridiculous.

I was enjoying Maryanne but the way she immediately burst out the hysterical crying in the Jackson situation was annoying.

Didn't care for Zach or Tori. Either one leaving was fine with me. Zach made the correct choice with the Shot in the Dark.

Oh, I was surprised both tribes won that triangle puzzle challenge.

15 hours ago, dizzyd said:

Did Drea use her extra vote or save it?

Didn't we see her fold it up for later? 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 20

I don't think this would count as a spoiler, since they showed it at the very beginning of the episode, but I'll tag it just in case.

Spoiler

Why on earth did they show Tori reading the clue about the "three phrases" idol during Jeff's opening twist montage, when she was going to be one of the two people at risk of being voted out that very episode? We know she didn't find it yet (or at least they didn't show it), so it completely gave away that Zach was going home. What an odd editing choice.

Aside from that, I enjoyed this a good deal. Several likable people, no one intolerable yet, and maybe all the wacky twists have already become familiar, because I didn't mind them too much.

Great first episode. Everyone had a story. I like Drea (She reminds me of somebody) and, I’m curious to see how far she goes. I’m still confused about Jackson. Did he lie intentionally or did he wait too long to tell production?

• Love 12

Posting on the first episode is always hard with so much going on and most players are nameless background extras so here is a few quick takes.

Blue Team is a team waiting to implode...very unstable. Tori is a liar (about her profession) Rocksroy is a naked dictator and Drea is too mercurial and not thinking or else she wouldn't have floated voting off a strong player.

Zach...no great loss to be honest.

Early favorite.... Jenny kicking ass and taking names in the puzzles!

I was like aw they should have just let Jackson stay until something started to manifest but after seeing the Immunity Challenge the producers knew it would probably kill him. Absolutely brutal.

Kid Cancer Survivor looks like Chief O'Brien on Star Trek: DS9 and he's quite likeable so I hope he goes a long way.

Getting a Tony vibe from the Puerto Rican fire captain.

Jeff never looked worse or more bizarre than his facial expressions when he was talking to Jackson. I felt his words didn't really match up with what he was likely feeling and that was "Hey why did you pull a fast one on us....we were so proud to have a trans contestant now we have to lose a marquee player like that."

I was going to carry on about how they were making the orange shirt girl whose name escapes me but her  parents were Afican immigrants, into the seeming narrator the season based on her screen time but she won me over at her genuine reaction to Jackson going home...that girl's got heart.

Triangle and Immunity Challenges were awesome. Great choices. 

No instant hate for anyone....I"m not sure if that 's ever happened to me. Hopefully it bodes well for a great season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
9 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Great first episode. Everyone had a story. I like Drea (She reminds me of somebody) and, I’m curious to see how far she goes. I’m still confused about Jackson. Did he lie intentionally or did he wait too long to tell production?

I don't think he lied intentionally.  I feel like there may have been some sort of disconnect between him and the producers about it.  Not really sure why he waited until the last minute to tell them, but I'd find it hard to believe he did it on purpose.  Hopefully he explains in his interviews.

• Love 7

Jackson first: He failed to tell producers he was weening himself off of lithium until the day before they started the game. Does that mean he failed to tell production and all the medical doctors he was taking lithium in the first place? And that somehow didn’t show up in the blood work that the show does? What the…

I am not sure if they had alternates at the beach. This was a COVID shot season. So there would have been extra time in quarantine and different types of travel restrictions. It could be that they didn’t have an alternative because of how much it would cost to bring out a few extra people, just in case. And they couldn’t fly someone in last minute because of the COVID protocols and the fact that they were not informed until the last day. 

I think it is shitty for Jackson to have done that. He knew he might not be allowed to play and he waited until the last minute to tell someone. I get that it is a chance of a life time but it sounds like they would have pushed him a season if he had been honest. Instead he is taken out on day 2. 

As for the rest, it was a good start. I laughed at the guess of 11 triangles and then the departure to go do things that require muscles while others do the puzzle. They did change the water task, it was one person and one barrel not two people and two barrels. 

No clue about anyones name other then Tori, who I want gone with Zach. I don’t like the blue tribe. Just ugh. Romeo and Roboroy or whatever his name is are playing stupid right off the bat. Roboroy is bossy and can’t stop. Romeo is trying to hard from the start. Tori is lousy at the game. Can we just get rid of blue?

Yellow tribe seems fine. Love muscles body but hate the hair. just show his abs a lot. Seriously, a lot. Yes, I am objectifying the man. And he is smart enough to know he sucks at puzzles. The rest of yellow seems cool enough, for now.

No idea who is on the other tribe. Jenny I think is solid at puzzles. Yeah, that is all I got.

Back to the first challenge, what the hell was the point of the blood? I mean, stupid. I do love that these amulets discourage working together and encourage them to target each other. Finally, something that will be fun to watch. Stupid and needlessly complex but fun. Help me vote out dude because we can use the steal a vote to help the alliance. 

• Love 17

I think Daniel of the dislocated shoulder looks and sounds so much like comedian Albert Brooks, he could almost be his twin.  Maryann makes me think a bit of Crazy Eyes Suzanne from Orange is the New Black when she acts up.

So it's going to be a repeat of last season with the new twists and side games.  Maybe I'll like it better this time, but I can't say I hated last time.

Sucks that Jackson gets pulled from the game so soon.  I can't imagine what he was thinking quitting medication under these conditions.  Better get back on the drugs, buddy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Damn from their stories I was really wanting to see Jackson in the game. That sucked. But I am left rather confused about what really happened and what he failed to tell producers. So he didn’t tell anyone he was on lithium until the day before shooting started? But if he had already been weening himself off the drug and wasn’t going to take it during the show, why was Jeff so concerned that the challenges would interact with the drugs effects if he wasn’t even taking it? And what “tests” were Jeff referring to when he said it was really hard to get tests right now? So confused.

By the way Jeff, Zach was not “the second person voted out of Survivor 42.” He was the first. I don’t remember them ever referring to people who have left for medical reasons as having been “voted out” before. That was a strange error I’m surprised they didn’t reshoot.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 16

It was a good first episode. I'm a fan of Jenny and the Vati tribe. I don't mind the Taku tribe. I don't care for the Ika tribe. A little confused about the amulets. Who got them? Was it Drea, Lindsay, and Hai? The fewer amulets the better and having one is a full idol? 

Don't really care about taking Jackson out of the game. It was the right decision, though. 

Knew Tori would be safe based on the preview at the beginning. Zach isn't a big loss. I don't really like the Ika tribe much.

• Love 4

Great premiere -- had a much better flow and pace than 41.

Early faves are Maryann and Omar on Orange, and  Dan(?) the one with the bum shoulder and Jenny on green. Not keen on anyone on blue, really don't like Mike on green and Rockswhatever on Blue or Romeo on Blue. They get GTFO asap.

Like the prisoner's challenge return, and glad they gave us more abridged versions of the explanations this time around. The advantage amulet also adds a new twist -- do you stick with your amulet alliance, or do you betray them to get a more powerful amulet? 

Jackson's Episode 1 medivac reminds me of Pat's in DvG. My understanding is that he had figured by the time the game had started, he would have been completely gone through withdrawal and wouldn't have any symptoms -- I think that's what Jeff was worried about. Not the drug itself but the withdrawal.

By the way Jeff, Zach was not “the second person voted out of Survivor 42.” He was the first. I don’t remember them ever referring to people who have left for medical reasons as having been “voted out” before. That was a strange error I’m surprised they didn’t reshoot.

Both times I heard him say "Second person to LEAVE Survivor 42" or "first time to be OUT of Survivor 42." I didn't hear him say vote but I could have misheard.

Edited by Valerie
  • Love 5

A good start with lots of interesting players. And since the players I'm not wild about are on the blue team maybe they'll manage to go to tribal a few more times. Really thought I'd like Rocksroy, but that bossy, lecturing dad is going to get him voted out sooner rather than later.

Was Jeff posing while the one guy gushed about his excitement during the opening beach scene? So odd.

During the second challenge it looked like Daniel may have hurt that shoulder again. He grabbed it a couple of times in the boat and then didn't even lift a puzzle piece with that hand while he and Jenny were working on it. Hope he's able to overcome it. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Great premiere -- had a much better flow and pace than 41.

Early faves are Maryann and Omar on Orange, and  Dan(?) the one with the bum shoulder and Jenny on green. Not keen on anyone on blue, really don't like Mike on green and Rockswhatever on Blue or Romeo on Blue. They get GTFO asap.

Like the prisoner's challenge return, and glad they gave us more abridged versions of the explanations this time around. The advantage amulet also adds a new twist -- do you stick with your amulet alliance, or do you betray them to get a more powerful amulet? 

Jackson's Episode 1 medivac reminds me of Pat's in DvG. My understanding is that he had figured by the time the game had started, he would have been completely gone through withdrawal and wouldn't have any symptoms -- I think that's what Jeff was worried about. Not the drug itself but the withdrawal.

Both times I heard him say "Second person to LEAVE Survivor 42" or "first time to be OUT of Survivor 42." I didn't hear him say vote but I could have misheard.

Nope, he said “second person voted out.” Just watched it again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

With The Amazing Race wrapped up, it's time for CBS to show what they really like: a past-its-prime show where the host journeys up his own backside. Welcome to Survivor 42! The Beast is Hungry!!!!

The Jackson situation is weird. He made the cast, doesn't disclose that he's weaning himself off lithium the day before the game starts, and the producers let him? The cynical side of me thinks that the producers decided to show they cast a transgender man, thus wasting a spot. I'm also wondering if there were alternates . . . that would seem logical, but the pandemic has thrown everything out of whack. The real shame is that Jackson seemed like a nice guy, and he would have been fun to watch even if he had gotten voted off pre-merge.

Great to see that Probst has doubled down on the gimmicks. The bit getting players to make a choice in the middle of a challenge was inspired. Now . . . the part where they had to apply mud and fake blood on each other? I don't get that at all. And I guess no one questioned why any of them would be bloodied. Maybe there's a "Secret Scene" where one of the players lies about a switchblade fight portion of the challenge.

Was Shot In The Dark played the one time last season? Desperation act from Zach, but it turned out to be the only choice that made sense, and he became the second person voted out. Great that Jeff can overlook shit that just happened. Or maybe the producers took a vote on whether to take out Jackson.

*sigh* Maryanne is my people. It's going to break me when she winds up turning heel or getting blindsided. I think that being ambivalent has made this show less painful for me to watch. It's all fun until you start getting emotionally attached.

Is "Rocksroy" a nickname?

Last season, were two people per tribe allowed to lug water on the first day? Reducing the number to one made the puzzle more appealing, and watching players try to count triangles was funny.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Great first episode, I think I’m going to like this season although I still hate all the advantages.  I like everyone so far.  I’m glad they don’t have too many muscle bound guys and no ex-pro athletes. I would like to see some older players but they haven’t had too many players over 40 in a long time. That first challenge was physically brutal! 
Big guy on the yellow team reminds me of Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds. And I love Maryanne and her smile and positivity. 
Everytime they showed Ika Tribe I thought it said IKEA. Sorry, I’m tired. 
What was Jackson thinking? You don’t just quit take such a heavy duty pill like Lithium. He seemed like a nice guy, too bad that happened. 
I’m glad blue team sent Zach home and chose strength instead, that would have been stupid to send Rocks home, he’s the leader and strongest player on that team. 

Edited by Straycat80
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Straycat80 said:

Everytime they showed Ika Tribe I thought it said IKEA. Sorry, I’m tired. 
What was Jackson thinking? You don’t just quit take such a heavy duty pill like Lithium

I kept reading IKEA too! 

On RHAP, a doctor said that lithium can be toxic if the person taking it becomes dehydrated and/ or doesn't eat, two things that are almost certain to happen on Survivor. Plus apparently Jackson had been feeling really dizzy. They couldn't risk it. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 7

Yes, if Jackson was taking lithium, it means he was likely diagnosed with bipolar disorder.  Usually weaning off means replacing it with a different med. In any case, weaning off lithium is tough, risking anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts.

On the live chat thread, it was mentioned in relation to Tori that anyone can call themselves a therapist. I take issue with that.  Therapists are state licensed, requiring a masters degree, and in most states, working under supervision after that, and then passing a licensing exam. It is a legitimate profession, and insurance companies pay for therapy by a licensed therapist. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 13
39 minutes ago, Keely said:

Because, as harsh as this is to say, Jackson lied about why he was taking it. He was not using it for sleep. There are far safer drugs out there for sleep. Lithium is a serious drug given for mood disorders. Usually bipolar disorder. Weaning off it is just as bad if not worse than being on it in terms of the show. Essentially, he'd be out there unmedicated, in a high stress environment. The mental and physical strain is huge. In that environment, I would say it was a matter of when his moods unstablized, not if. 

That makes sense. I was a bit 🤔 when he said he used it as a sleeping pill. Seemed way too heavy duty just for that. Yeah in that case that’s definitely something he should have let the show know about in advance and it’s really pretty shitty of him to keep that fact hidden.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Yes, if Jackson was taking lithium, it means he was likely diagnosed with bipolar disorder.  Usually weaning off means replacing it with a different med. In any case, weaning off lithium is tough, risking anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts.

On the live chat thread, it was mentioned in relation to Tori that anyone can call themselves a therapist. I take issue with that.  Therapists are state licensed, requiring a masters degree, and in most states, working under supervision after that, and then passing a licensing exam. It is a legitimate profession, and insurance companies pay for therapy by a licensed therapist. 

I was confused by that, too.  I've gone back to school to get my social work degree, and while I'm not pursuing the counseling or therapist route, I was surprised by how different these occupations are defined and the amount of schooling/licensing can be required.  

I was thinking about the whole Jackson situation, and I'm seriously leaning towards the show putting him on for the sake of diversity/story, knowing they were going to pull him after a couple of days.  This would let them scream diversity and also have another moment with Jackson discussing the stigma surrounding taking medications for mental health reasons (at least that was the gist of the conversation I got from Probst).  It was just very strange how that all went down.

On another note, I saw that MaryAnne waas trending on Twitter (pretty much all positive that I saw).  I actually can't wait to see her go to her first TC and have to vote someone off, because I want to see if she can keep her emotions in check.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
3 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

It sucks what happened with Jackson, but man, that one girl (Maryanne?).  You would have thought he was the love of her life and he was being stabbed, drawn and quartered right in front of her.  That was a little over the top.

My husband watched some of the show with me, then was off for a bit. He came back in during that and was like "What's going on???"

• Love 3

Daniel reminds me of Richard Dreyfuss. 

In the first challenge. 3 people, one from each tribe, had to agree. But I thought there was something about tying or untying knots? ( I'm watching it about two hours delayed, so maybe it comes up, I'm only halfway through)

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

In the first challenge. 3 people, one from each tribe, had to agree. But I thought there was something about tying or untying knots?

Yes, they had to untie 20 knots to get their advantages. They didn't show them actually untying the knots because they focused on the "anoint each other with mud and fake blood" aspect but they all have the advantages so they obviously did untie them.

Agree with Daniel looking like Albert Brooks. Glad his shoulder popped back in so quickly, hope it holds up. Yikes. 

Also agree that this was an enjoyable, well edited and balanced episode. No player who dominated the show with their own theme music. Lots of likable players are far. I didn't mind Zack going but would have preferred Tori. 

Tough situation for Jackson. I'm wondering - if he had disclosed his situation from the beginning, would he have been able to play and still take his meds? Are all medications disallowed or only psychiatric ones?

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

That thing in the first RC where those three cast members had to cover themselves in mud and blood was stupid.  I'd like to know how they explained the blood and what they had to do that caused this supposed bleeding. 

I know, right?  Especially once they washed off and had no scratches or scabs on them!

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Is "Rocksroy" a nickname?

I hope so - who names a sweet little baby "Rocksroy"? 🙄

31 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I was thinking about the whole Jackson situation, and I'm seriously leaning towards the show putting him on for the sake of diversity/story, knowing they were going to pull him after a couple of days.  This would let them scream diversity and also have another moment with Jackson discussing the stigma surrounding taking medications for mental health reasons (at least that was the gist of the conversation I got from Probst).  It was just very strange how that all went down.

Of course - I only realized it was starting this week after I saw an online article about "the first openly transgender cast member" this season.  Jackson didn't even seem surprised.  I felt bad for the team who lost a player.

The blue team seems like the one that's going to get winnowed down fast - it's kind of funny to me that one team gets Ogre, the other gets the big fireman, and the third gets two grown men who weigh under 120 lbs 😄

• LOL 9
  • Love 6

Now . . . the part where they had to apply mud and fake blood on each other? I don't get that at all. And I guess no one questioned why any of them would be bloodied.

I wanted to see them have to explain that. You know the other tribe members would surely ask them versions of "what the hell did you have to do?".

28 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

But I thought there was something about tying or untying knots?

Yeah, that was definitely part of the instructions. I think they just skipped over it and didn't show it. What would had been really fun was someone suggested they go check on the three.  I wonder if Probst would had immediately shut that down and what he would have said.

53 minutes ago, bunnyface said:

It sucks what happened with Jackson, but man, that one girl (Maryanne?).  You would have thought he was the love of her life and he was being stabbed, drawn and quartered right in front of her.  That was a little over the top.

The cynical part of me thought she was trying to work that in as part of her social game to make herself seem more sympathetic.  maybe even bringing it up again if she's in the final three.   Other than that moment, she does seem like a nice person, though.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Now . . . the part where they had to apply mud and fake blood on each other? I don't get that at all. And I guess no one questioned why any of them would be bloodied.

I wanted to see them have to explain that. You know the other tribe members would surely ask them versions of "what the hell did you have to do?".

When they came back I heard some tribe members say things like “OMG you’re bleeding!” And “Is that blood!? Are you ok?” but then the outcome of all that was completely ignored… I wanted to know how they explained it. That was very weird. Especially with the one guy dislocating his shoulder, so the other players knew the medics were right there.

Edited by Cotypubby
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, princelina said:

Jackson didn't even seem surprised. 

He didn't, and now I'm wondering if that scene was recreated for the broadcast.

I was curious how the three would explain the blood and mud and why they were gone so long, and they also didn't show the three who went on the boats telling their tribes what happened. No one seemed suspicious that they got an advantage. 

Loved that both tribes not only chose the triangles over the water, but that they both got it right. Last season there was debate on the forums about which was the better choice, and most, including Fishbach on RHAP, said the water was a better choice because it was a sure thing, so I was pleasantly surprised. Jenny rocks. 

• Love 12

I know for a fact that Adam Klein was not on this season, but there were several instances at the beginning of the episode, before the first break, where I glimpsed Zach and thought, "Go Adam!" They look remarkably similar, even having the same wavy hair. Of course, Zach was a helluva skinnier than Adam (and Adam's much better-looking).

The blood and mud was stupid and pointless, especially with no follow-up beyond a few instances of "Are you bleeding?"

I thought Maryanne would be irritating with her perky over-the-top sunniness, but she quickly won me over with her positivity. Although her scream-crying at Jackson leaving was a bit much.

Jonathan has quite the impressive body, but what was even more impressive was there was no tattoo in sight. Usually young men who look like Jonathan have jumped on the tattoo bandwagon, so it was refreshing to see none. (Especially with the currently airing season of Big Brother Canada, where all the hideous tattoos will burn retinas.)

Not looking forward to 692 twists, advantages, idols and needlessly complicated challenges. There was an immunity challenge last season where Jeff was explaining the rules of the challenge, and it took him 88 seconds to do so! That didn't include the pre-amble, that was just explaining the rules! I know it was 88 since he was explaining, explaining, still explaining, so I rewound and timed it. Bloody ridiculous.

There's no way in hell I would have gotten 51 triangles. 16 at most.

So far I'm liking Daniel, Jenny, Hai, Jonathan, Maryanne and Jackson before he left. The others still haven't made much impression yet.

• Love 10

I think Tori is a "counselor" and not a therapist?  I think the definition of counselor is far broader than therapist.  

Jackson's removal is all kinds of weird.  So....he was on lithium, but not for the usual reason of bipolar, but for sleeping?  Is that code for he only gets the manic half of bipolar (I have friend like that, who only gets the manic highs and it is exhausting, like being in an involuntary meth bender) or is there really a more obscure use for the drug that fits what Jackson needs from it?  Did he feel he didn't need to disclose it because he was weaning himself off it and by the time filming started, he'd be completely clear?  Maybe he thought he was clean, based on......internet research, then a blood test just prior to filming showed it still in his body, so he had to fess up.  Perhaps he has unique body chemistry that held onto the lithium longer than his research told him.  Either way, if he still had it in his system, that next grueling challenge in addition to the initial days of starvation plus the stress would make that bad reaction be a real risk.  And without immediate access to a particular kind of blood testing, the Survivor medical team wouldn't be able to safely monitor his condition.

CBS also already had that recent experience with another Jackson on Big Brother who had been self medicating a mental illness with a legal and not-so legal drugs before going into the house and going cold turkey.  He won, but it wasn't a good season and as I understand a bit painful to watch on the live feeds as he was clearly not stable.  He also got away with a lot of rule breaking because it seemed that production was handling him with kid gloves due to that.

I don't think CBS wanted to repeat that experience.

It is early yet, but I like Jenny, Daniel, and Omar.  I'm deathly afraid that those throbbing veins on Romeo's temples will burst at any point.  Maryanne is too nice for this game, but she's better off on Survivor than Big Brother where she'd be chewed up and spit out and broken completely.  There's a whole lot of people I don't know yet, so time will tell.

Yay! for a new season!

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, kassandra8286 said:

He didn't, and now I'm wondering if that scene was recreated for the broadcast.

I wondered if maybe the producers warned him they were taking a “wait and see” approach so when Jeff asked for him, he kind of knew what the deal was. I did like him, but he never should have attempted this. So dangerous. He could’ve waited a year and done it safely & w/a dr’s help. 
~~~

I too thought Maryanne’s reaction was over the top but she seems very empathetic. I wondered if she was feeling like this was her big dream and now Jackson was losing his big dream. She’s a lot but for now, I find her fun to watch. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I was thinking about the whole Jackson situation, and I'm seriously leaning towards the show putting him on for the sake of diversity/story, knowing they were going to pull him after a couple of days.  This would let them scream diversity and also have another moment with Jackson discussing the stigma surrounding taking medications for mental health reasons (at least that was the gist of the conversation I got from Probst)  It was just very strange how that all went down.

I fail to see the newness of the possible diversity storyline with Jackson because didn't they have another female to male contestant that was outed by a tribe member a few seasons back?

But that said, it did open up a dialogue regarding mental health issues and medication.

BTW, not a Maryanne fan. The girl was WAY over the top hysterical! I hate to see how she reacts when she gets voted off.

• Love 6

In many ways the discussion on this thread validates Jackson’s statements/concerns  about how use of mental health medications are frequently stigmatized; people hear “lithium” and immediately make the leap “oh, he must be bipolar”.  Bipolar disorder is not the only condition for which lithium might currently be prescribed, though; lithium is also used in the treatment of clinical depression - and given the context of someone providing full-time care to a terminally ill parent over an extended period of time? I’d personally be surprised - and concerned - about anybody who didn’t experience at least some periods of clinical depression in such a situation.

In terms of Jackson’s apparent initial nondisclosure to the show’s medical staff…?  I’m going to withhold judgment for the time being, simply because there are way too many unknown factors.  We know Jackson’s mother first took ill sometime within the 8-1/2 year time window when he was already in the process of his transition, but we don’t know:

• How long it took her from initial diagnosis to devolve to the point where she needed full-time, around-the-clock care.
  • How long Jackson had to basically abandon his normal life to be his mother’s caregiver.
  • How long ago she passed away.
  • When Jackson was first prescribed lithium medication.
  • How long Jackson took it full-dose, how long Jackson had been weaning himself off it, or what dosage he was down to.
  • Whether the provider who initially put Jackson on lithium was involved in the weaning process, or if Jackson was (with his wife’s help) winging it solo.
  • Whether the Survivor medical staff had seen specific test results which gave them pause, or if they were simply acting out of an abundance of caution.
  • Etc., etc.

Not trying to slam anybody here for expressing their opinions - just trying to relate alternate interpretations and considerations.

2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I think Tori is a "counselor" and not a therapist?  I think the definition of counselor is far broader than therapist.  

Believe me when I say I am already NOT a big Tori fan at all - but Tori’s CBS bio states “Occupation: Therapist” and Tori herself specifically stated (rather emphatically) she was a therapist - so barring any evidence to the contrary, I guess we have to take her at her word.

Unless, maybe… think there’s any chance when Tori describes herself as a “therapist”, she means like a massage therapist or something…?  😁

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 21
5 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Damn from their stories I was really wanting to see Jackson in the game. That sucked. But I am left rather confused about what really happened and what he failed to tell producers. So he didn’t tell anyone he was on lithium until the day before shooting started? But if he had already been weening himself off the drug and wasn’t going to take it during the show, why was Jeff so concerned that the challenges would interact with the drugs effects if he wasn’t even taking it? And what “tests” were Jeff referring to when he said it was really hard to get tests right now? So confused.

By the way Jeff, Zach was not “the second person voted out of Survivor 42.” He was the first. I don’t remember them ever referring to people who have left for medical reasons as having been “voted out” before. That was a strange error I’m surprised they didn’t reshoot.

I was confused too. 😕 Maybe he didn’t tell them he was on lithium because he was weaning himself and figured he’d be off it by the start of the season, then told them he was weaning/had just weaned and production, with no time to change course let him on. Then they consult with medical and legal who say ‘whoa, maybe not a good idea, that’s too close’ and so he has to be pulled.
I’ve taken medication for anxiety and depression for two decades. I’ve weaned off some in the past and taken my time. Then waited because with some meds that mess with your brain chemistry can have a rebound effect. I did it before my hubby deployed once and took a six month period—three to wean and three to watch for the rebound. That’s longer than I needed but I wanted to be super cautious. Maybe they worried about a rebound effect especially given the grueling physical conditions. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Oh, I really like this cast! Not mad on Ikea (TM), but there is even on that tribe no real preponderance of smarmy cool kids pleased with their deviousness, as per the previous Blue tribe in season 41. It was so nice to like so many people in one episode, instead of loathing so many last season. Even the long slow hillclimb wasn't a chore to watch, so I guess they tightened the edit there as well.

Super bummed Jackson has gone. I heard him say he'd started taking care of his mother in 2016 and then was sleeping two hours a night, so went on lithium. I guess they can't kill the contestants, so probably safest he left, but that was a blow.

Really hoped Tori went over Zach; I'd already forgotten I'd seen her in that opening scene!

I like Mike, Jenny, and Daniel on Vati particularly; and Omar, Jonathan, and Marianne on Taku. Swati's good on Ika, and I go on and off the rest of that tribe. But it's just such a nice warm vibe overall. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the whole two hours.

• Love 7

I had a slightly different take on Lithium-gate.   My impression was that Jackson decided to wean himself off.   It was in his blood for the initial tests, but at much lower levels or even gone when they got the final pre-island blood tests.   That’s when Jackson admitted to weaning himself off.   From what I understand, one of the challenge of this category of drug…the patient feels good and thinks they are “cured” but when they get off the drug, they have a relapse.   That’s why you only go off the drug under strict supervision.  Jackson did it on his own which means that just because he’s stopped the drug, he isn’t out of the  woods for a bad reaction including the return of the original symptoms for which it was prescribed.   

I like MaryAnne for her genuine enthusiasm.  Actually, I like everyone on the orange team…even though the blonde hasn’t gotten much screen time.   Green….still assessing.  Blue is a train wreck. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, bunnyface said:

I didn't come anywhere near 50 triangles before my brain tapped out. 

I love doing escape the room app games but count the triangles (squares whatever) is one puzzle I hint right past.  I just can't do them and they take me so long I get too impatient. That and slide puzzles, I even hated those as a kid when you got those cheap plastic versions in grab bags and such.

I liked Jackson, he was definitely an early favorite.  Very much hoping they bring him back on another season.  To be clear on the Lithium thing - he didn't disclose it earlier because he thought it wouldn't matter, he thought he'd be completely weaned and cleared from it by the time shooting started.  He told them about it late because he didn't get weaned off in time after all and that changed things.  Should he have said up front "this what I'm on, this is the plan to get off it" though?  Probably yes.

I thought there'd be no vote at all because I thought Daniel was going to be out.  He was hanging his arm at the immunity challenge and I thought his shoulder was out again but they never said a word about it.  This is the first season in awhile that I see people I want to root for right from the start.  I did like Zach a bit but he wasn't at the top of the list and I don't know how he'd be long term.  I was on board when they briefly talked about getting Rocksroy out though - if I were in camp with him I don't know how long I could bite my tongue and play the social game.  His attitude when they were building shelter was one thing, there's always that player who comes on strong and takes a team lead role early on.  But he crossed a line and lost me when he told; not asked, told, (more like demanded) Swati  "wash those things you call shoes"    He and Lydia rub me the wrong way but for different reasons. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

On another note, I saw that MaryAnne waas trending on Twitter (pretty much all positive that I saw).  I actually can't wait to see her go to her first TC and have to vote someone off, because I want to see if she can keep her emotions in check.

If we're lucky, it'll be her torch that gets snuffed.  She was...a lot.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I think they wanted a transgender man on the show that they let him go on knowing they would bring him home early on. Too bad; I was looking forward to it.

Too many twists but I did enjoy it.

• Love 2

In the boat/canoe during the challenge, it looked like Daniel was holding his injured shoulder. I wonder if we'll see that come back up again. I liked his LaGrossa callback, as a nerd that was remembering the same first challenge injury. 

Tori...is she really that delusionally confident or has the downtime on the island already started her believing her own story about innocently seeking taro? Not a good sign if the latter for her gameplay. 

Overall I didn't loathe anyone in an "off my screen" sort of way. I'm still over all the twists and turns from last season's "reboot" but I'm willing to give this a shot for an hour a week. 

• Love 3