Type keyword(s) to search

Please Sir, I Want Some More: Foods You Never Get Sick Of

• Start Topic

Awesome thread!!

Bolegnese. Love!!

Mackerel sashimi.

Cheese. Pretty much any kind, but I'm really love manchego.

Butter chicken, medium.

Cake batter. Yes, not cooked, just the batter. SOmetimes I'll have it for dinner. With wine. My diet is not good.

My grandma's pumpkin pie. Mine is close, but I miss hers.

Wine. That's a food group, right??

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 5

I love homegrown Creole tomatoes* right off the vine (rinsed and salted, of course) or on Wonder bread with Hellmann's. Yum!

But since that's a summertime pleasure, during the rest of the year I actually eat the same lunch every day I'm at home: ham on rye with lettuce, tomato and mayo!

And for dinner, I could eat seafood every single night for the rest of my life: shrimp, oysters, crawfish and fish fixed any way you can think of...fried, sauteed, baked, grilled, smoked, stewed, in etouffee or gumbo, over pasta or rice...just as long as it's cooked (otherwise it's bait) and there aren't any lima beans hidden anywhere ;)

*Just planted a new crop and am crossing my fingers for my plants - why is it 40 degrees in March?!!

Good rolls

Cheddar cheese

French toast

Barbecue potato chips

Grilled cheese

Macaroni and cheese

French fries and ketchup

Mashed potatoes

Yellow curry

Harissa sauce

Salty cornbread

Key lime pie/lemon pie

Vanilla ice cream

Strawberry smoothies/milkshakes

Triscuits with cheese

Mozzarella sticks-warm, not hot

Goat cheese phyllos

Mango and salmon sashimi with ponzu and jalapeño slices

Veggie dogs

Corn dogs

Reese's cups

Pesto mayonnaise

Salads with blue cheese dressing, tomatoes, onion, blue cheese crumbles, and croutons

I'm waiting on my food delivery- saffron chicken in yellow curry with mushrooms, baba ghanouj, and some roasted cauliflower. I'm hungry!!!!

Spaghetti - I've already instructed my love ones to line up my coffin with boxes of Barilla Thick Spaghetti when 'the big one' comes.  OMG, if my doctor said I'd have to give up pasta I'd absolutely freak.  Spaghetti and Meatballs/spaghetti with ground beef sauce/spaghetti in a wonderful bacon/tomato paste sauce my moms used to make when we were kids.....like Pookie in New Jack City, it be callin' me and I got to go to it!!

Fried Chicken, but it must be my own.

Potato Salad drenched in hot sauce - (see Fried Chicken explanation)

Lining up one's coffin with Barilla Thick Spaghetti?  That made me burst out laughing all over again tonight.  Thanks for the funny!  But now you've got me thinking about fried chicken and potato salad (drenched in hot sauce? never heard of that).  I've given up on making fried chicken--never was good at it and I'd make such a mess and then the house reeked.  We have Popeye's around here but it's just ok. I really liked Bojangles back when I lived in NC (especially wings...I'd go through the drive thru, order 5 wings...such a piggy...and munch on 'em on my return to work...good times).  And for a while, KFC used to sell skinless fried chicken which I loved (don't need the skin).  I wonder if any fast food chain sells skinless fried chicken today?

• Love 1
(edited)

Talk about a post after my own foodie heart!!!

As someone who literally will eat/enjoys *every* food out there(except maybe liver), these are my faves:

Sushi-- I'll eat any of it: rolls, hand rolls, inari, sashimi...it's the perfect food to me! As a seafood lover, the combo of the fish varieties with sticky rice/raw veggies makes for a blissful meal---it's just so artistic and lovely in every way. Pile on some wasabi and pickled ginger, mmmm...

Flavored potato chips-- Regular old potato chips just don't do it for me, but you give me cheddar or barbecue or sour cream or any of those wacky-flavored Lays chips, and I'm in snacking heaven.

Nuts-- Mostly cashews, but I'll eat any nut out there. I can't even keep them in the house because I can eat an entire can on my own.

Gummy ANYTHING-- I've got a gross addiction to all that is gummy. Gummy bears, gummy worms, gummy whales, gummy coke bottles, etc...I went bonkers on my first visit to Dylan's Candy Bar, piling up a bag with their hundreds of different gummy varieties!! Bonus points if it's the sour kind with the sugar coating. And I found out the hard way that it's best that I never get myself those gummy vitamins ever again.

Cheese-- Gimmie blocks of all those gourmet delights, please. Smoked Gouda gives me life.

Salad-- Veggie-lover for life...I actually went through a phase of eating salads daily, I love them so much. Many a pricy salad I have ordered from a fancy restaurant, many a taco salad I have enjoyed at a Mexican dive, it's just my typical food go-to.

Ice cream-- So long as it's not boring vanilla and features a fun flavor combo, I'm always game for a tasty scoop or three. In a cup or on a cone, it don't matter!

Edited by Sun-Bun

Love guacamole, will add it to just about anything.

Potato Chips - Man I swear they could be my lover, I eat 'em so much.

I agree with your entire post, but THIS? You leave my lover alone! Potato chips are clearly the food of the Gods.

Mansonlamps, I will windmill fight you over my lover!

• Love 2

A burrito bowl w extra white rice from Chipotle. I don't give a hell if it ain't authentic Mexican I just love it. And yes I know the guacamole is extra.

Also, shrimp and grits. Don't get too snazzy with the shrimp. I went to a restaurant once where they barbecued the shrimp. Yuck.

I'ma have to make some potato salad tonight, got a strong hankerin' for it...the first hot sauce drenched forkful will be for you, Annzeepark914!

I also love green olives on my pizza, spaghetti and recently potato salad....you'd think I was knocked up with the olive love, lol.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 1

@Vixenstud:  Enjoy that potato salad!  I was surprised to hear about putting hot sauce on potato salad but now that I think of it, I put horseradish in my mayonnaise dressing so I guess I do have a bit of heat in my potato salad.

I'm like Kevin from Home Alone. Cheese pizza. I like extra cheese and extra sauce and that's it.

I get it from a local place and I go there so often that I once forgot my wallet and she let me take the pizza and pay next time.

I can't get enough of it. I'm on a mission to gain at least 20 to 25 pounds this year and I eat my cheese pizza at least once a week.

I never get tired of eggs.  I love them.   They are a perfect protein and versatile.  

A favorite of mine is a take on eggs Benedict. 

Saute mushrooms hot and fast until are they brown.  Place them on a piece of buttered good crusty white toast with a lot of texture.  Top that with a poached egg and Bechamel sauce.  I vary the herbs and seasoning in the sauce.  A favorite is fresh basil or tarragon, cracked pepper, parsley and a touch of garlic.   Delicious and less rich than using Canadian bacon and hollandaise.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Hummus. Tribe's spicy red pepper hummus, to be exact. I always have a large stock of it in my fridge, and I eat it with sesame seed topped pretzel chips instead of pita. I am obsessed with the stuff. I can eat falafel and baba anytime too, but that hummus I actually eat on a daily basis. It's also one of the only things I can hold down, so it's a good thing I haven't tired of eating every day for the past two years.

• Love 3

Hummus. Tribe's spicy red pepper hummus, to be exact. I always have a large stock of it in my fridge, and I eat it with sesame seed topped pretzel chips instead of pita. I am obsessed with the stuff. I can eat falafel and baba anytime too, but that hummus I actually eat on a daily basis. It's also one of the only things I can hold down, so it's a good thing I haven't tired of eating every day for the past two years.

I dip those flat pretzel in hummus too.  Saba brand with jalepeno is my favorite.   And I love baba ganoush. . 

I never get tired of eggs.  I love them.   They are a perfect protein and versatile.  

A favorite of mine is a take on eggs Benedict. 

Me too. Eggs have been my favorite food (okay except for french fries or potato chips) for as long as I can remember. My current recipe dujour is sort of a Benedict, with the poached eggs on top of ezekiel toast spread with mashed avocado, salt, and some sort of hot sauce. I love this so much. It's so rich tasting that I usually eat with fresh salsa or sliced tomato to even it out a little. Yum! Or, I guess, nomnomnom in the current vernacular.

Potstickers - I love these dang things and can eat them any time of day or night.  My favorite brand is O'Tasty (which is an incredibly funny name for a company that makes Asian food.  When I lived in So Cal, I tried every single brand of potstickers in the Asian food markets (and there were a LOT) and found that O'Tasty was the brand that suited me best.

• Love 2

King or Dungeness crab legs

Shrimp (boiled or fried)

Popcorn (salted with butter-flavored oil drizzled over)

Virtually any flavor of Blue Bell ice cream (come back soon, Blue Bell!)

I love homegrown Creole tomatoes* right off the vine (rinsed and salted, of course) or on Wonder bread with Hellmann's. Yum!

I'm not sure if I would want this every day, but substitute Wonder Bread with Bunny Bread and I would be happy with this meal at least three times a week!

Guacamole.  Don't put the stuff near me because I will not share!

Sausage and mushroom pizza.  I will never tire of it.

Brownies too.  I will eat them every time, even better if they are hot out of the oven and a scoop of vanilla ice cream to go on top.

• Love 1

I think a peach or nectarine is my all time favorite fruit when it is just right - so good!

Question:  When I was in college, one of my boyfriends hated chicken unless it was bbq'd (and he was so-so on that).  Seems that when the recession hit in the early 70s, his family (like everyone) ate a lot of chicken and he grew to loathe it.  I guess his Mom only prepared it a couple of ways and not particularly well.  My family ate a lot of chicken too, but Mom made it in a variety of ways (plus she is a great cook) so we never got tired of it.  In fact, several of her chicken recipes are worshipped in our family. 

So, after my long winded preface,has anyone else developed a hatred for a food that they were subjected to repeatedly?

I will never tire of shell fish, especially Maine lobster.  I love all food with very few exceptions.  My list is very long on foods I love and never get tired of eating.  Pork (shoulder, the most), beef (any, especially short ribs) and turkey (done by me; it is special).    

I will toss in here that I never buy or order chicken in a restaurant.  It bores me.  I do buy a rotisserie chicken occasionally to make chicken enchiladas;  My grand children love them it is a nice Mexican comfort food.  I would never bother to roast one. 

• Love 1

I think a peach or nectarine is my all time favorite fruit when it is just right - so good!

Question:  When I was in college, one of my boyfriends hated chicken unless it was bbq'd (and he was so-so on that).  Seems that when the recession hit in the early 70s, his family (like everyone) ate a lot of chicken and he grew to loathe it.  I guess his Mom only prepared it a couple of ways and not particularly well.  My family ate a lot of chicken too, but Mom made it in a variety of ways (plus she is a great cook) so we never got tired of it.  In fact, several of her chicken recipes are worshipped in our family. 

So, after my long winded preface,has anyone else developed a hatred for a food that they were subjected to repeatedly?

Bluefish.  We used to catch it in the fall, freeze it, and eat it over the winter.  One year we had a bumper crop, and even my mom, the Depression child who made us eat everything, got tired of it and ended up feeding the remaining fillets to the dog one or two times a week.  His coat looked spectacular by Spring.  And I will never, ever, ever eat bluefish again.

I will never tire of shell fish, especially Maine lobster.  I love all food with very few exceptions.  My list is very long on foods I love and never get tired of eating.  Pork (shoulder, the most), beef (any, especially short ribs) and turkey (done by me; it is special).    

I will toss in here that I never buy or order chicken in a restaurant.  It bores me.  I do buy a rotisserie chicken occasionally to make chicken enchiladas;  My grand children love them it is a nice Mexican comfort food.  I would never bother to roast one. 

On the other hand, I could eat lobster, clams, oysters and shrimp until they come out my ears.  I've never had the opportunity to get sick of them, so I can't say for sure, but I just don't think I'd ever get sick of them. 

• Love 2

Bluefish.  We used to catch it in the fall, freeze it, and eat it over the winter.  One year we had a bumper crop, and even my mom, the Depression child who made us eat everything, got tired of it and ended up feeding the remaining fillets to the dog one or two times a week.  His coat looked spectacular by Spring.  And I will never, ever, ever eat bluefish again.

On the other hand, I could eat lobster, clams, oysters and shrimp until they come out my ears.  I've never had the opportunity to get sick of them, so I can't say for sure, but I just don't think I'd ever get sick of them. 

I never had bluefish but my mom was a "depression child" and you wouldn't believe the number of teeny tiny containers of leftovers (about 2 Tbsps worth) you'd find in her refrigerator.  One thing she'd make, way back in the day, is Spam (she'd put cloves in it and top with pineapple...blech).  My dad loved it but my sister & I loathed this stuff.  I've avoided it ever since.  But she was a good cook.  I'm making a beef stew right now but I remember loving her pot roast and whipped potatoes and she'd have to cut me off 'cause I could really keep going back for more and more (she'd always say, "your eyes are bigger than your stomach" and she was right!).  I haven't tried to make pot roast--probably 'cause I know it won't taste like hers.  Oh, shellfish...wish I lived close to the ocean so I could go to the fish store every week and buy clams, oysters, shrimp and lobster whenever I desired (and I'd desire it all the time).  

I have a new food addiction:  multicolored sprinkles on light vanilla ice cream.  It got to the point where I haven't been buying light ice cream lately, knowing how crazy I'll be, shaking onto the ice cream all those beautiful pastel sprinkles.

• Love 2

You know I never really thought about it much but I don't really recall ever eating leftovers as a child despite my Catolic, depression era parents. We had all the containers full of the food, I just don't remember having to eat it. Maybe my mother ate them and spared us?

here's nothing better than an in-season Texas peach.

Except for an in-season GA peach. ;)

To add to my list above:

- cheddar cheese

- egg salad

- cereal

- seltzer water

- cool whip or fresh whipped cream, but not the canned stuff

- indian river grapefruit

- white bread. Not fancy white bread, just plain, white butterbread.

- macarons

It wasn't me but my mom was babysitting my 6 year old niece and my mom got out some baked beans to go with lunch and my niece saw the can and started sobbing uncontrollably while saying, "I don't want any more porky beans", my mom looked at her startled and put them away. When my sister came after work to get her my mom asked her how many beans was she feeding the girl?! My niece is now 28 and we laugh about it to this day.

• Love 3

My Dad, also a kid during the Great Depression, grew up in a small town in New Hampshire.  To him, lobster was "poor man's food" and he never understood my Mom (and the rest of the 'verse) adoration of it and willingness to pay outrageous amounts for it.

• Love 1

When I lived in university residence, the cafeteria was closed on weekends.  I was POOR. Every Saturday and Sunday, for 3 years, I ate half a box of Kraft Dinner (that's Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, in the blue box, for you Americans).   One box a week, 4 boxes for a dollar.  I often miscalculated how much of the cheese mix was half, so Sunday's dinner usually wasn't as good. 

I can't even look at the stuff now. 

My dad used to divide it up into six portions in college, which I find oddly impressive.  I have no idea if he was down to just cheese dust by the sixth one, but he says he had it down to a science.

Ahhh...college food.  Was never on a meal plan.  My basic diet for 4 years was baked potatoes supplemented by regular shopping trips at Mom & Dad's (the drive was 7 hours each way so this only happened every 8 weeks or so).  I would add sour cream or cheddar cheese if it were a special occassion.

All this college meal talk reminds me of the old sitcom moms that would put a table full of food in front of her family and brag, "this entire dinner only cost $4.99." I'm thinking we could have a new topic, all about bargain meals and cheap food.

Oh Lawdy...this sounds like that gal who won NFNS several years ago & then had an awful show featuring dinner for $10.99 or something like that. Melissa D'Arabia?? Dreadful program.

• Love 1
(edited)

Anything peanut butter and chocolate - cake, candy, ice cream, pie, cookies, I love it all.

Meatless lasagna. Not vegetarian - regular cheesy lasagna, just no meat in it.

Just cheese lasagna?  Not spinach and cheese? Or mushrooms?  I like meatless as well, but I want some other vegetables in mine.  :)

Edited by PRgal

I make lasagna with ricotta and fresh spinach, none of that cottage cheese and frozen spinach crap.   If I'm feeling carnivorous, I add crumbled turkey sausage. 

Nope, I like my lasagna with sauce and cheese. No spinach. I love mushrooms, but no one else in the family does (weirdos!) so I can only put them in when I don't have to share. Sometimes I make lasagna rolls and make mine first, with mushrooms, then add the meat to the sauce and make the rest.

(edited)

I was on a meal plan in college, but had lots of "pop" meals -- soda pop, popcorn and PopTarts.

I also was on a meal plan except I only took 14 meals per week, so I didn't eat breakfast (which was never my thing anyway). I usually ended up eating pop tarts for breakfast in my dorm. They were easy to make and were cheap lol.

At my school it depended on what dinning hall you went too, but the big one had the most food but most of it was crap. When my friends wanted to go there, I usually ended up only eating grilled cheese and ice cream for dinner.  Or sometimes just ice cream lol.

Edited by blueray

An older fellow called my peanut butter and jelly sandwich "poor man's lobster" the other day.  Weird.

Even bad pizza is good.

And chocolate will always be my bestie in any way, shape or form.

• Love 1

Is it weird that I love the detox salad from Whole Foods (includes cauliflower, carrots, currants, broccoli and seeds)?  I could eat it all day and have used it as a substitute for rice or quinoa.

On 12/9/2014 at 5:13 PM, JTMacc99 said:

I mean, I could probably eat pizza every day, but I think I might get tired of it. (After a few years.)

Having had more than a year and half to think about this, I have decided to change my stance. 

I could never get tired of pizza.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 4

ok I'm a foodie, I plan my trips equally around sightseeing and restaurants lol

It would be hard for me to limit myself in one of those games "if you could eat X different foods for the rest of my life only" but The shortest list would be

chicken

potatoes

cheese

tomatoes

avocados

oranges

mushrooms

eggs

• Love 1

My #1 and always-sweet corn.  Lightly steamed/boiled, butter, salt.  Picked that day from the field, preferably, but never more than 2 days old (being a farm girl ruins you on not perfectly fresh sweet corn for LIFE)  Entire meals and entire days could be made of sweet corn for me.

Shrimp/Crab/Lobster-boiled/steamed/grilled/whatever with cocktail sauce.  And cocktail sauce that is more like ketchup flavored horseradish, freshly grated thankyouverymuch.  

Soft, semi-ripened cheeses with crusty bread.  

Sausage-Literally any kind, but especially European sausages from Hungary and Germany-I lost 60 pounds in the last year, and my biggest challenge was how to substitute for the more caloric pork/beef sausages.  Chicken sausage is just as awesome, I soon found out.  Well, not as awesome, but my brain is taking it better than I thought.  

Homemade BLT

Cake.  Key Lime Pie.  Dairy Queen Blizzards.  Oreo Thins (WHY ARE THEY SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL??)  

Simple, perfectly scrambled eggs on avocado toast

Thai Chicken Salad from Panera-I travel about 60-70% of the time for work, and I eat this salad at least once a week and not sick of it.

Mexican food, but specifically-tacos, sweet corn filled tamales, chicken mole, perfectly grilled skirt steak (in a taco or otherwise), carnitas

It's slightly embarrassing, but Totino's Party Pizza.   

• Love 1
On 6/9/2015 at 0:49 PM, DeLurker said:

Question:  When I was in college, one of my boyfriends hated chicken unless it was bbq'd (and he was so-so on that).  Seems that when the recession hit in the early 70s, his family (like everyone) ate a lot of chicken and he grew to loathe it. 

[snip]

I hope it's OK to quote a post over a year old... but chicken. Same reasons. Mom only made it a few ways. Baked with corn flake crumbs (no shake and bake for us!) or chicken wings on the stove with Asian-inspired spices. For the longest time I only like fried chicken or chicken salad. Now that I'm trying to be healthier I make it on a George Foreman or broil it but I'm fairly certain the BBQ sauce I slather on it cancels out any benefits.

Topical: Crab, lobster, fresh berries, artichokes, warm crusty bread with high quality olive oil and/or butter and/or tepenade.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2016 at 8:46 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Tapioca pudding.  I never ate it as a kid (didn't like the look of it...typical kid!).  I can make a bowl of it and if I'm not careful, I'll eat the whole bowl while it's still warm.

I make a version of it for my brother. I substitute maple extract for the vanilla and then at the last minute add a half cup of finely chopped pecans. Maple Pecan Tapioca. I use it to bribe him lol. 

• Love 1

Warm sourdough bread with butter. And a glass of chardonnay. 

A Book of Verses underneath the Bough,
A Jug of Wine, a Loaf of Bread — and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness —
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!

~Omar Khayyam

• Love 8

My current food fav is Whole Paycheck's wild mushroom and herb rice pilaf. It comes in a box like Uncle Ben's and as they say on Top Chef, is unctuous. It is so good with roasted chicken.